• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mysticism] Opinions: Tactics/Mage/Mystic or Necro/Mage/Mystic

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I have a gargoyle who I'm planning to turn into a mystic. However, I'm having some trouble deciding between a couple templates. This is a purely PvM toon. He'll have dci and a mage weapon. I'm thinking maybe something like . . .

Tactics/Mage/Mystic
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Mystic
120 Focus
120 Tactics

. . . or maybe . . .

Necro/Mage/Mystic
120 Mage
120 Med
120 Necro
120 SS
120 Focus
120 Mystic

What do you guys think? What kind of mystic toons are you running?

S

Stupid Miner

A Tank Mage? You're gonna fizzle a lot.

I'd go with the Necro, but... you have no Eval on there.

Hm... in Wraith form you'd stand a chance in melee range, but you'd have to have Tactics. And you could drop Med and use Wraith/Focus to regen enough for PvM. But that still leaves Magery without Eval.

120 Mage (100+20)
100 Eval Int
100 Tactics
100 Necro
100 SS
120 Focus (100+20)
120 Mystic

Ah, here you go. Requires a Crystalline Ring, and you can shift stuff around a little, but this would make a very nice Tank-mage char.

You'll mostly be running in Wraith form (for mana), and surviving in melee range with Curse Weapon. Can switch to (Vamp form + Curse weapon) when you need to stay mobile.
Can cast a RC for summon in melee, so you'll be getting hit less. Depending on how well you're getting mana back you can get Necro 3 Animates too.
Corpse skin, unfortunately you cant exploit the melee benefit from that unless you get a 100% (poison/fire) weapon

Your suit's going to be a pain to build, but be glad you didn't pick a template that needed 4/6 casting :p

P

PowerFullPete

This is my temp, so far workin good for pvm

Magery 120
Eval 115
Med 120
Mystic 115
Focus 120
Weaving 120
Resist 30

Gona up eval and mystic to 120 soon, 30 resist cause just using up leftover points

J

[JD]

With 40 LMC, 120 Focus, and reasonable amounts of MR on your suit I don't think you'll have much need of meditation skill and those points may be allocated elsewhere. Perhaps if you were adding parry and had a small mana pool due to 80 dex, you'd want both for quick regeneration of your limited mana pool...

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why the heck tactics on those templates?

Even using a SC Slayer Mage wep the damage wouldn't be all that great also considering your swing speed which more than likely be real slow.

S

Stupid Miner

Why the heck tactics on those templates?

Even using a SC Slayer Mage wep the damage wouldn't be all that great also considering your swing speed which more than likely be real slow.
the only extra property on his weapon that a fighter doesn't have is Mage Weapon.

No need for FC on the weapon, get it on something else.

Enchant for SC -1

His damage will be fine.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, my plan was to use a throwing weapon for the mage weapon. This would give me the benefit of dci and I wouldn't have to get too close to benefit from tactics. However, as a friend pointed out, if I do get close with a throwing weapon, my hit chance will be decreased without swords.

What I really like is the necro/mage/mystic template, but it's annoying that I have to choose between meditation and eval int.

Thank you, everyone, for the input so far. Now the wheels are turning. The reason I wanted the mage weapon was for the dci benefit. Now I'm thinking, what about using wrestling for dci instead and holding a book/shield? Something like this:

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Mystic
120 Focus or Imbuing
120 Westle

Would let me use some of those nice new garg shields. What about that one?

My only concern, in this case, would be getting enough dci without using one of those 25 dci throwing weapons.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you go the wrestling route, you could use one of those invasion spellbooks with DCI plus the mystic's guard shield that has 10 DCI. What did you have planned for your jewelry. I think some of the new artifacts out include a talisman and a necklace with DCI, but then the struggle would probably be fitting in enough LMC.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
If you go the wrestling route, you could use one of those invasion spellbooks with DCI plus the mystic's guard shield that has 10 DCI. What did you have planned for your jewelry. I think some of the new artifacts out include a talisman and a necklace with DCI, but then the struggle would probably be fitting in enough LMC.
Excellent ideas! Thus far, here's what I'm thinking suit-wise:

Invasion Spellbook
8 dci
4 lmc
2 fcr
30 sdi

Conjurer's Garb
2 mr
5 dci

Mystic's Gard
10 dci
2 fcr
30 soul charge

Pendant of the Magi
30 lrc
10 lmc
3 mr
5 sdi
10 int

Totem of the Void
10 lmc
2 hpr

Imbued Ring
1/1
8 lmc
11 dci
12 sdi

Imbued Bracelet
1/1
8 lmc
11 dci
12 sdi

These items put me at 30 lrc, 40 lmc, 45 dci, 59 sdi, 5 mr, 2/6. Slots I have left include chest, arms, kilt, legs, and earrings, which should provide me ample room for 70 lrc, 5 mr, and 60s resists. You think so?

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you should be able to meet your needs with your remaining slots. Be sure to show off your new mystic when you're done. :)

P

PowerFullPete

With 40 LMC, 120 Focus, and reasonable amounts of MR on your suit I don't think you'll have much need of meditation skill and those points may be allocated elsewhere. Perhaps if you were adding parry and had a small mana pool due to 80 dex, you'd want both for quick regeneration of your limited mana pool...
Your right! I already had 18 mr and 40 lmc, so i dropped med and eval and put in 120 music and disco and doin wicked damage with plenty of mana!

R

ReaperNI

it is possible to run a necro/mage/mystic
120 mage
120 evall
120 ss
120 focus
120 mystic
105 necro

but problem is you have to have alot of mana regen on your suit. i woulndt waste your time with tactics because that more a pvp thing. i personally have tried 3 skilled template on my mage and found it to be a lil over whelming went back to pure necromage and found my grove again. TYR

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks for the insight, TYR. Appreciate every comment, as I try to figure this toon out.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My PvM necro-mage-mystic is on my "to do" list, but this is the setup I plan to try:

120 Mysticism
120 Focus
110 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Spirit Speak*
100 Necromancy*
100 Med*

* = Increased via Skill points from items (see suit concept below)

I plan to use a high skill point and max SDI suit. Resists will suffer a little, but in this age of imbuing I should be able to fit together a nice suit. I'm going to use an elf because of the extra mana and for the spellwoven britches.

Suit Plan
Head: Kasa of the Rajin (12 SDI)
Neck: Pendant of the Magi (5 SDI, 30 LRC, 10 LMC, 10 INT, 3 MR)
Chest: Imbued (18 LRC, 7 LMC, Resists)
Arms: Midnight Bracers (10 SDI, +20 Necro)
Hands: Imbued (17 LRC, 7 LMC, Resists)
Legs: Spellwoven Britches (10 SDI, 10 LMC, +10 Med)
Ring: Imbued (3 FCR, 6 LMC, 9 SDI, 18 LRC, +14 Med)
Bracelet: Imbued (3 FCR, 6 SDI, 17 LRC, +13 Med, +13 Spirit Speak)
R Hand: Invasion Spellbook, Scrappers Compendium or Slayer Spellbook
L Hand: Shield (15 DCI, 0 FC, SC)
Cloak: Quiver of Infinity (5 DCI)
Robe: Shroud of the Condemned (5 INT) [Conjurer Garb if I can acquire another one]
Belt: Crimson Cincture [or Tangle if I can get one]
Talisman: Totem of the Void (10 LMC)

Alt R Hand: SC Weapon with FC 0, 15 DCI

This gives me 100 LRC, 40 LMC, 82 SDI (with 30 SDI Invasion Spellbook). I need to fit more MR into the suit, but this gives you the general idea of what I'm working on. I will use Wraith form for mana leech and a dark wisp. I will run with protection so only need FC 0/FCR 6. It's probably not perfect, but this is my concept at this point.

-OBSIDIAN-

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ah, that's a very nice suit. When you get him kitted, let me know how it goes.