• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Open Beta is LIVE!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, wanted to try with with the EC, but can't, since patching is bugged for now.
Tried it with the CC, but that client is so bad, I can't play with that thing.
So I'm waiting until the EC is fixed.

Also, why are the houses predefined? What's the point? Would really like to name it myself...

How do you collect your rewards?
No idea, didn't work for me. IMHO looks and feels like its bugged...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Why can't we choose our own house name, that would be quite nice, those names are all pretty bad. I still can't get in on the EC and no way am I going back to the CC so I guess I can't play until they fix it. Didn't they test this out at all? :(

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no clue what is house name. Clicked dice and now stuck with incomplete quest

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lots of names from the past running around.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A small box should pop up that says "Collect Rewards. " You can open it and then Collect under each completed quest. You should see the message in chat. This is EC though. Not sure about CC.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have no clue what is house name. Clicked dice and now stuck with incomplete quest
It's timed. House name will be all your characters surname and your legacy.
It will give you a list of options and after a few seconds you can reroll until you see one to choose.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have been trying to complete the rat quest but I'm getting disconnected every 20 seconds.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's timed. House name will be all your characters surname and your legacy.
It will give you a list of options and after a few seconds you can reroll until you see one to choose.
Huh. What is "your legacy" term is? Seems I tried to reroll using dice, but window closed and there is no new window with options to choice from. Bard just tell something about words and fire.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They finally managed to fix the EC. So I logged in & continued where I left. Did all the quests in Occlo, made it to Trinsic, repelled the orc attack, talked to the city council and the logged off.
Skills are at 60 Sword, 60 Tac, 60 Parry, 60 Anat, 60 Heal & 60 Focus. Everything is gated behind quests. Quests also reward armor, weapons, potions, bandages & gold.
Lots of running around, lots of running back and forth. Combat is trivial so far.

The quests are nice. At least you don't have to farm & grind anything. But on the other hand it is also gameplay on rails. So far I had zero challenges, which made it a bit boring.

So far it is a mixed bag for me. It really depends, how the game opens up later on. That will decide, if I stick with NL or not.

Does anyone know, if the beta shard gets wiped or we can continue with our char after release?
Didn't find anything in the NL Wiki about that. I'm assuming the former. That said, I'm not super stoked to play a throwaway character, so I will wait for the full release.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Skills are at 60 Sword, 60 Tac, 60 Parry, 60 Anat, 60 Heal & 60 Focus.
Next you do the Daily Objective Job Board. 4 Points for each quest. Till you get to 70 then you talk to the Warrior Guildmaster to see what is next.

I got Here today:
1722061362525.png

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, won't see any script miners in Legacy.
Everyone found they can buy a horse from the farms?
Screenshot 2024-07-26 204230.png

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Why oh why am I having to run such a huge distance to do a quest, it's making me crazy! Trinsic swamp is much closer, why didn't they use that?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why oh why am I having to run such a huge distance to do a quest, it's making me crazy! Trinsic swamp is much closer, why didn't they use that?
For immersion and that old school feel would be my take. I am having feelings of nostalgia while playing.

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
By making you walk long distances they can make you waste time. This way they can increase the game play time artificially without adding new content.

Talk to someone: 5 seconds.
Walk to the location: 5 minutes
Talk to someone else: 5 seconds
Walk back: 5 minutes
Talk the first guy: 5 seconds.
Game play time: 10 minutes 15 seconds.
Actual game played: 15 seconds.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I really wanted to give it a fair try and I don't mind quest-based games but this was just so bad. Half the time I couldn't find the place I was sent to, there didn't seem to be any directions on many of the quests. Not even a vague compass direction. The other half of the time I was so busy trying to stay alive amongst the normal spawn in the area that I couldn't get near to the objective. :(

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I really wanted to give it a fair try and I don't mind quest-based games but this was just so bad. Half the time I couldn't find the place I was sent to, there didn't seem to be any directions on many of the quests. Not even a vague compass direction. The other half of the time I was so busy trying to stay alive amongst the normal spawn in the area that I couldn't get near to the objective. :(
On reddit, someone said that they tried to make a WoW clone with 2 developers, with UO controls, and at 6 FPS.

If a university student put together this in a year as a graduation project, I would say, it's ok, he passes. But, truth to be told, I would not pay NL even if its free. I cant believe 5 people worked on it for 5 years.

Last edited:

Xoos

Journeyman
the crafter quests are kind of the opposite, especially the BOD leveling for carpentry. Each 2.0 skill gain is currently behind a 20 minute timer for both lumberjacking and carpentry so it was like get the 3-BOD order, fill it (5 minutes).... log out for 15 minutes because there's nothing a carpenter or lumberjack can actually do to kill 15 minutes waiting for the next 3-BOD order. I chopped wood to have stock for the next order but after the first two timers I was completely maxed on what I could hold. I did eventually GM the carpentry/lumberjack line but it took all day yesterday, maybe 10 total hours to get through all the quests. The only issue with that was I was only actually logged in and playing the game for MAYBE 1 hr total over the whole day. I'll admit I was a little confused about a skill-gain system that sort of prevents you from playing the game? At least that's how it felt for crafting.

I did like some of the other crafting/gathering related changes to the process.

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the crafter quests are kind of the opposite, especially the BOD leveling for carpentry. Each 2.0 skill gain is currently behind a 20 minute timer for both lumberjacking and carpentry so it was like get the 3-BOD order, fill it (5 minutes).... log out for 15 minutes because there's nothing a carpenter or lumberjack can actually do to kill 15 minutes waiting for the next 3-BOD order. I chopped wood to have stock for the next order but after the first two timers I was completely maxed on what I could hold. I did eventually GM the carpentry/lumberjack line but it took all day yesterday, maybe 10 total hours to get through all the quests. The only issue with that was I was only actually logged in and playing the game for MAYBE 1 hr total over the whole day. I'll admit I was a little confused about a skill-gain system that sort of prevents you from playing the game? At least that's how it felt for crafting.

I did like some of the other crafting/gathering related changes to the process.
They were unable to add enough content to the game to make it appealing. Right now they are trying to gate everything behind time or walk distance to create artificially long game play. If they did not lock things behind time or distance to slow you down, you would be done with all of NL in 2 days.

Deimos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On reddit, someone said that they tried to make a WoW clone with 2 developers, with UO controls, and at 6 FPS.

If a university student put together this in a year as a graduation project, I would say, it's ok, he passes. But, truth to be told, I would not pay NL even if its free. I cant believe 5 people worked on it for 5 years.
Given their track record over the years? I can.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@ShriNayne I was frustrated with this at first also - then I noticed that if you go the quest log and make it your active quest (click a box or something), you start getting frequent updates on directions like "your quest objective is a long way to the west" and maybe later "your quest objective is the southwest."

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Yadd of Legends I did that on a couple of the quests and yes it helped but some of the quests didn't have that box, the box just said 'defend' or 'protect' or something and it wasn't clickable so I was just completely lost! :rolleyes:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another impression: I just spent 45 minutes stumbling around Trinsic Passage looking for 8 zombies to kill - could only find and kill 6 before time ran out - frankly, I really wonder how many players are going to have the patience for this new game - I'll keep at it because I'm stubborn and have already achieved my goals in UO - but for most players, I have to wonder why play it all when UO is so much better designed and more fun? This has nowhere near the fun I had starting new characters from scratch in UO

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Every quest has this box, it starts white, you click to turn blue.
View attachment 155684
They all have that button Pawain but not all the buttons say 'visit' I had quite a few that said 'defend' and you couldn't click them, so I had no directions and had to give up, it was really frustrating.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They all have that button Pawain but not all the buttons say 'visit' I had quite a few that said 'defend' and you couldn't click them, so I had no directions and had to give up, it was really frustrating.
I had one of those defend quests (defend wagons in a swamp west of Trinsic) - I remember getting directions to a peninsula-like swamp but don't remember what I clicked - BTW, I lost that quest because so many frogs started spawning that I couldn't keep up with them - are some of these quests meant for a group?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I clicked defend and destroy. I don't need any more so I'm not going to open any more. I think I posted a pic on the first day.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I got totally overrun by mongbats and boglings at the swamp, I just couldn't kill them because my skills were too low, when the actual quest mobs spawned I had no hope and had to run away. I felt like a total failure to be honest.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got totally overrun by mongbats and boglings at the swamp, I just couldn't kill them because my skills were too low, when the actual quest mobs spawned I had no hope and had to run away. I felt like a total failure to be honest.
Ya alligators are tough to kill until skilled. Have to run from the mobs and go to the pillar or wagon or crate areas without other spawn. Just walk away if there are Giant Toads attacking. Someone has to aggro them and run in a circle. The others just stand there for 5 mins.

Things need adjusted.

The dark nights are bad. Some places are just dark at night even with night sight.

mihali

Sage
So far it has been interesting, with the quests and all. These are not as overthought and complicated as in the production shards. I was hoping for completely new landmasses though. Probably NL will need more adjusting as time goes on. It's also interesting that the "evil in game" minded folk may not be able to murder-pk or steal from others. Unless that changes lol. It is too premature to estimate how this NL will go, but it could become something cool.:)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was hoping to create an elf for that reason, then saw human was the only choice. I wonder if elf will be in option when the actual game comes out.
A player gave me night sight spell. I had that cast and it did not help. Its the same issue that is in production.
An outside area can be lit and you walk a few steps and its dark like in a dungeon. Then walk around and see light and dark spots.

Was really bad if you do the Champ spawn at the end at night.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I played for an hour or so. Hell, I even subbed 3 months. After an hour of running around doing pointless quests, I turned that off and deleted my updated client. Enjoy my $30 Broadsword, you'll probably never have to see me again.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I played for an hour or so. Hell, I even subbed 3 months. After an hour of running around doing pointless quests, I turned that off and deleted my updated client. Enjoy my $30 Broadsword, you'll probably never have to see me again.
You get off Occlo island eventually. Then they give you a handful more of breadcrumb quests. Some illustrating the new quest design. Some illustrating abilities. Then you check a daily job board that gives you skill gains as you complete them. You use the docks to get around the world.

It does open up, but yea, if you have no patience for the tutorial version I don't blame you. I didn't either at first, but then went back and did it. You definitely need to be in the right mindset for it and just knock it out.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I haven't tried docks. Moongates work too, although it seems most towns I have visited aren't really populated yet.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Paiwain, you got so much farther than I did - makes me wonder, when test resumes next weekend, will our characters still be there or start over?