• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OOC] Adventure on the High Seas: What Will You Be?

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The expansion has been announced. Ships. Cannons. Wenches. And tentacled monstrosities lurking just beneath the waves.

How will this impact your roleplaying? Your stories? Have you thought about it?

Will you be a Pirate? One who makes a name for himself on the Seven Seas. Or will you be something else? A merchant transporting goods en masse between the continents and cities of Sosaria? A treasure hunter? Will your township implement a navy to protect its seabourne interests?

Discuss.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Twilight Fellowship has always had a rather large fleet on Pacific. The core of the Fellowship was built upon organizing caravans and this later extended to provisioning, defending, and plotting courses for merchant vessels on the high seas. As such, we've always crossed blades with pirates and privateers who worked for opposing forces.

When the Oppression came into power, some of the Fellowship vessels were declared pirates and so we had to avoid or do battle with Britannian warships crewed by Oppression sailors. When Queen Dawn overthrew the Oppression government, many of these corrupt captains turned pirate and headed out to sea with these warships. Queen Dawn now enlists the aid of privateers in combating this new pirate threat while she rebuilds the Britannian navy.

So this is how we'll roleplay it, but as privateers and merchant vessels that just need to defend themselves. Our villains will be on the other side.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pirate killer.

Absolute 100% pirate killer.

I mean I guess if, as in the situation described by sablestorm, a new oppression government takes hold and turns the military into a means of oppression? Then Galen's decision will change. (In fact, Galen got in trouble during the Cascan regime for killing positive-karma NPC Paladins who were sent by Casca.)

But until then?

Absolute 100% pirate killer.

I made the mistake of reading portions of an old book about pirates called Under the Black Flag. My vision of pirates, thus, is far more influenced by that than by the Johnny Depp films. And even there, Johnny Depp's character made explicit reference to being a rapist, it was just laughed off. Hell, even the Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride made no attempt to hide the fact that he was a mass murderer -- we just choose to not remember it that way.

One thing that's of concern to me RP-wise....

On our respective shards, is RP trade usually done by boat, or by moongate and recall scrolls and the like?

If the latter, is there some RP explanation for the sudden explosion of sea traffic? Or is it just "oh, there was always a lot of sea traffic, most of the characters just had no good reason to pay attention to it until recently."

EA could come up with an official explanation, or leave it to us. Both approaches have their advantages.

Cal, if you're reading this: It will help Role-Players immeasurably if you enact sea-based PvP in Trammel using the guild wars mechanic (orange-to-orange ship combat). The Town Hall indicated this may not happen. See if you can make it happen, though. We'll appreciate your at least making the effort.

-Galen's player

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
we engage in boat based pvp quite alot with a local drow guild btw bucs den and fire island. so this will make it twice as fun. I'm planning to run a gargish boat, i'm not sure what the color thou yet. i hope to see some dye schemes released soon.

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup What Cear said!!!! But I have to add that I am soo totally making a Wench!!! I have the chicks who kick butt with the guys. Time for the other side I think.

M

Merci d'Rue

Due to this exact launch I will be bringing back my feisty pirate wench shhhh its a surprise though.

In fact its time to start posting her return...

aulbrey

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think aulbrey might turn into a pirtate to go after all that booty.......wait what? but seriously i cant wait not sure how ill rp it quite yet but i decided aulbrey is definately the char to get the new boats hehe