• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

One of you great programmers need to take on UOAM!!!!

• Thread starter Sethblackmoore
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Sethblackmoore

Ok so its all well known that UOAM is not being update. With so much talent inside our community why has someone not taking over the program and updated it for us??? Or even a small group of people?

This may have been touched on on a different thread along time ago but I'm too lazy to look it up. Sorry if that is the case.

G

If someone was going to update it they would first need the source code which has not been released.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

I beleive the creater will not let anyone do anything with it. I could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I beleive the creater will not let anyone do anything with it. I could be wrong though.

Close enough to NOT be "flat wrong" but wrong enough to be cautious ...good choice

"He" wrote
I'm sure I will get email asking about the source code. I'm afraid that for many reasons (some legal, some not) I will not be able to release the source code. Furthermore, for those same reasons, I will not be turning the source code over to anyone else to maintain. I'm sorry. Please do not ask.

Won't be "giving" it away ... or "Helping" anyone with it ...
But ...
Also not preventing anyone ... from creating their own equivalent ...

yep ...
time for someone to step up and fill the gap ...

pretty high bar to get over ...
Just to equal the quality

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It would not be out of the question for someone to be able to create new maps for Trammel, without his source code, for us to plug in. Hell, someone at EA could probably do it in their spare time, off the clock.

For that matter, if EA actually requested that he hand them over the source code, I doubt really he'd have a leg to stand on, on denying it to them.

S

Sethblackmoore

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Close enough to NOT be "flat wrong" but wrong enough to be cautious ...good choice

"He" wrote
I'm sure I will get email asking about the source code. I'm afraid that for many reasons (some legal, some not) I will not be able to release the source code. Furthermore, for those same reasons, I will not be turning the source code over to anyone else to maintain. I'm sorry. Please do not ask.

Won't be "giving" it away ... or "Helping" anyone with it ...
But ...
Also not preventing anyone ... from creating their own equivalent ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm reading into that but sounds like he's being a jerk...lol. Well maybe EA has some type of rights to it now that it was a "UO official app" or whatever. Man, he won't even let folks maintain one of the best programs to come out for UO. Must be something more to it. He will probably get sued due to KR coming out. How's the map setup in KR?

G

i think it simply has to do with it being uopro certified and the way it talks to the uo client. prolly confidential information in the source. plus he might not have the right, contractually, to transfer development to anyone else.

in any case, i dont think ea certifies anything as uopro anymore, right?? so any new development would be considered illegal.

shame, user development and involvement helped make wow uber popular. they should reopen uopro.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Maybe I'm reading into that but sounds like he's being a jerk...lol. Well maybe EA has some type of rights to it now that it was a "UO official app" or whatever. Man, he won't even let folks maintain one of the best programs to come out for UO. Must be something more to it. He will probably get sued due to KR coming out. How's the map setup in KR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, he is tired of maintaining an application for chump change and doesn't want to end up stuck providing free tech support to programmers who are too lazy to write their own app.

Maybe, in order to be listed as a Pro App he had to sign an agreement with EA that restricts him from distributing any source code that interfaces with the UO client.

Maybe, implying in a public forum, that someone that has worked hard to provide something to the community is involved in some kind of legal battle is irresponsible gossip.

Maybe, since we live in a free society and this man has just as much right as anyone to decide what to do with his time... the explanation provided, which is easily accessed via the UOAM website, should be enough.

There is nothing that prevents you or anyone else from writing your own software, so get cracking. I'm waiting... where is my free program? C'mon man... you're letting me down? What's the deal?

K

Kith Kanan

Get EA to implement more UOAM features in the KR map , and implement it in the 2d client = all good

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

He has stated that he will not give up the source code for UOAM so it would have to be done from scratch.

A HUGE problem is that UOAM uses the map provided by EA in the files on our computers. UOAM uses the map files from UO that are there for the radar. While 2d provides maps with land detail, KR only provides a blur. Unless EA cleans up their map information something like UOAM can't function. Course, if EA provided a decient map file with KR much of the problems with losing UOAM would be solved. Unfortunately, EA doesn't seem interested in providing a good map or even &lt;gasp&gt; porting the perfectly good graphics from 2D.

With a good map from EA that will orient properly and markers that aren't just colored blury dots their map might almost work except for the limit on who shows on the map(it should be permission based - not party based)

A good point made earlier is that UOAM is legal. If anyone else made one it would not be since the possiblity of making legal addons for UO no longer exists.