• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old school in a New world

K

Kerxise

Hello community, I am a long time player of Ultima Online. I played from 1999 to about 2004... I remember playing VERY actively up until the time that Age of Shadows had come out and had time to set in. After taking a long break from MMOs all together, I picked up World of Warcraft and have been playing for going on 2 years now.

I enjoy the game very much but feel there is something lacking, too much of the game feels sectioned and requires you to be "This High" to ride the ride. The PVP is enjoyable, but it is FAR too gear reliant; which isn't the problem, it's the time sink required to attain piece after piece of your set. With my current job putting me in the Gulf of Mexico for 2 weeks at a time, I find myself falling behind all of my In-Game and Real-Life friends eating their dust.

I miss the feeling of logging on to UO and asking myself "What do I want to do today". The PVP was superb and the hunting in dungeons was just an amazing experience, and the game did reward you for time well spent, however it wasn't the only way to get a full experience from the game. I play a lot when I'm home, but with the way WOW plays I feel like I'm missing too much.

I have been thinking of returning to UO again to join my last RL friend that still plays, however he plays on Lake Superior. I was thinking of convincing him to roll a character on Siege to play with me because the Shards rule set has always had my eye. I enjoyed old UO, thoroughly. But I've always wondered, does Siege get all the in game events that normal Production Shards do? And speaking of production shards, how is the economy on such if I cannot get my friend to reroll? How is it in comparison to Sieges economy?

One thing I did enjoy in WOW was my first journey into a dungeon as a group, I understand this is how Dungeon Doom is? Sort of like a Raided dungeon? It's neat to go in with a group of people and Slaughter everything in sight. It just sucked to see it done and piles of gold lay on the ground cause everything was so jacked. But in any case, how are things these days? Are they as good as I remembered, or dare I say better? Would I enjoy coming back to this old gem instead of sticking around for the shiny graphics Blizzard wants to bombard me with in the next expansion?

Thanks for listening to my thoughts and any input would be appreciated. I'm sorry my thoughts seem jumbled and at times not very organized, but I am far from good at organizing what I have to say.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back.

Would be better if you could tease out a few specific questions?

You stopped playing in 2004 you said.....Age of Shadows was released in 2003. Many of the basics are the same as then. There haven't been any gameplay-altering expansions since then.

So you still have the multiple categories of resists instead of the old, simple "armor rating" system.

You still have the skill Magic Resistance mostly working against non direct damage spells, like Paralyze or Curse.

You have an additional equipment slot, added by the Mondain's Legacy expansion: The Talisman. You'll see it in people's paper dolls, in the upper right side. The over-legs equipment slot (aprons) can have at least 2 things filling it: A ninja belt (which can allow your character to throw poisoned throwing stars, ninja-style) and the Crimson Cincture (an artifact red half-apron with Hit Point regeneration, a dexterity bonus, and.....something else). The latter is basically necessary for PvP.

There's a new 3d client, Kingdom Reborn, existing alongside the "legacy" 2d client. Not many play it, but those who do play it tend to swear by it.

The closest thing we have in UO to those "endgame" raids that WoW is supposed to have (I've never played WoW) are the "Peerlesses" (which were introduced in the Mondain's Legacy expansion and are kinda/sorta instanced) and the Doom Gauntlet (which is non-instanced and which came in with the Age of Shadows expansion). Both are really fun.

There is currently a large-scale event going on. This event is titled Warriors of Destiny, and it concerns ancient enemies known as The Shadowlords making their way into our world to.....Do bad things. This event has been going on for a couple of years, but only kicked into full swing with the destruction of Magincia by demons las Fall.

Your best resources are:

-These boards;
-UOGUIDE.com (a wiki);
-UOFORUMS.com (another message board).

The Playguide on UO.com is being improved, but isn't quite there yet in terms of usefulness.

Welcome back.

-Galen's player