• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old games that are still playable today

• Thread starter Nestorius
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ultima Online, all of the Infinity Engine RPGs from Bioware (Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2), old Final Fantasy games, Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis, Shining Force 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, Chrono Trigger, and Mario 3 ;)

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion, if you have never typed Load* or loaded himem.sys, you are not an old gamer.

I pulled my C64 out of the attic and found my Silent Service and F117 stealth fighter floppies!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In my opinion, if you have never typed Load* or loaded himem.sys, you are not an old gamer.

I pulled my C64 out of the attic and found my Silent Service and F117 stealth fighter floppies!
Oh man, remember the original Dark Sun - Shattered Lands? That was a bear to get going. It took all kinds of fiddling with load parameters to get that baby to work, but it was worth it. I still think that had one of the best starts to a computer RPG I've ever played. And it still runs on DOS Box. I actually ran through it not too long ago.

Another really old one that was fun as well that also runs on DOS Box was Darklands. I remember it took ordering a few patches from Microprose before we had a version that really worked, but once we had a good version it was the cause of many a late night and days of dark circles under my eyes. :)

P

PsychoBunny

I've tried a couple of times to ressurect my AO account, but for some reason my machine won't load up AO now :( I miss my MA :sad4: She was a kick-ass soloist.

I sometimes wish I was still playing DAoC too... it had its moments. Wonder what ever happened to that game - is it still even around?

EQ was fun for a very long time. I was a senior guide on EQ before they merged several servers. Then it seemed to focus more on high level raid groups than mid-level solo players like me, so I quit playing because it just got ridiculously laggy and the quests were overly difficult for solo players. My chars were awesome at various trade skills though. That was fun.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DAoC is still there. I happened to hop in when they were doing a "Come back for a week free on your old account!" a while back. It was just as fun as before, if a bit barren.

P

PsychoBunny

DAoC is still there. I happened to hop in when they were doing a "Come back for a week free on your old account!" a while back. It was just as fun as before, if a bit barren.
Oh bugger... I am tempted now...

Archie

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pirates!

All on the C64.
Duke Delgado would wait for the most inopportune time to become invincible.

The original sword fighting logic done multi-player is something I always wanted to see happen.

That game was my first computer game addiction!

Archie

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Good games. Microprose ruled back in the day.

I liked F-15 Strike Eagle better because it was a blast to fly. The game just needed better graphics.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Resident Evil series (PS1 - PS3)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts (SNES)
Contra (SNES)
Tekken (PS1)
Rock and Roll Racing!!! (SNES)
Quest (N64)
Diablo I and II (PC)

M

maroite

Ascendency. Oh Logic Factory, why doest thou tauntist me!

I use to love Sim Ant too :d:lol:

Love Loom, and Monkey Island and the original Serf City/Settlers. I use to leave Settlers running while at school, with all PC players, and then come home and look at what they built.

Original CoDuty gave me weeks of great LAN party fun.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
baldur's gate, heros of might and magic, and age of empires... every 6 months or so I go back and play them. They will NEVER get old!

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still have my old Commodore 64 and it actually still works so I'll say Castle Wolfenstein is still very playable and enjoyable.

F

Fink

Arcanum, def.

I ve finished this game 10-15 times, played various characters and various styles. True gem.

UO rendered in that style at high resolution, plus the functionality of the new interface, would be excellent.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it wouldn't. UO exactly how it is in classic 2D is the only way to play.

GoodGuy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played an old RPG back in the day when i was a kid called Exile III, it was from spiderweb software and i'll ALWAYS remember it as a classic 40-50 hour rpg

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ultima Online, all of the Infinity Engine RPGs from Bioware (Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2), old Final Fantasy games, Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis, Shining Force 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, Chrono Trigger, and Mario 3 ;)
I like your taste. :thumbup1:

Oldies I still play: Chrono Trigger, FFIII, FFVII, Baldur's Gate I & II, Shenmue.