• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ok... what in the heck did they do to the drop rates?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as drops go... there was a point in time when i did 200 medussas and got zero slithers. I did get some floor tiles and of course got the way out of date arties.

Is that right or wrong? I have no clue, at that point in time i was really into being able to solo everything in the game so it didnt matter to me. I am definitely not a fan of RNG for many reasons.

If i were to be just an outsider observing... I would say EM events give the most drop out of any thing in the game. You want drops? Go do events, they are handing those things out like they are going out of style... wait they are... :)

On a side note. The UO staff are the kings of doing something somewhere and not realizing they have affected something else in the game.

Collusion.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix

Drop-rate Fail-safe Idea:

Each time I kill Medusa and don't get a Slither it increases my probability of getting a Slither next time by .5% (up to a maximum of 50%) until I get one, at which time my Slither stacks will drop back to 0. Pretty much meaning there will never be a time where there's a 100% chance to get a Slither, but at least after 100 kills there's a 50% chance I'd get one (25% after 50 kills, etc.)

A lot of new games are using this method not only for drop-rates but also for crafting.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix

Drop-rate Fail-safe Idea:

Each time I kill Medusa and don't get a Slither it increases my probability of getting a Slither next time by .5% (up to a maximum of 50%) until I get one, at which time my Slither stacks will drop back to 0. Pretty much meaning there will never be a time where there's a 100% chance to get a Slither, but at least after 100 kills there's a 50% chance I'd get one (25% after 50 kills, etc.)

A lot of new games are using this method not only for drop-rates but also for crafting.
Think that´s a good idea and we got that system elsewhere already implied with a hidden counter. However, it should still be possible to be lucky and get 3 Tangles (for example) within 10 Navs... As I did some lucky moments...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is rare and hard to get and then there is insane and not worth the effort. I personally don't mind hard and having to spend some time to obtain something I want. After about the 500th attempt of grinding away and still not obtaining it simply because the RNG hates me, I usually just give up buy the item from someone that the RNG does not hate and go back to doing my normal mundane stuff. It really has gotten to the point where I don't even bother participating in the new content that is added as it has solidified in my mine that I will spend a lot of time trying to get something cool, walk away empty handed and end up buying from someone else anyway.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is rare and hard to get and then there is insane and not worth the effort. I personally don't mind hard and having to spend some time to obtain something I want. After about the 500th attempt of grinding away and still not obtaining it simply because the RNG hates me, I usually just give up buy the item from someone that the RNG does not hate and go back to doing my normal mundane stuff. It really has gotten to the point where I don't even bother participating in the new content that is added as it has solidified in my mine that I will spend a lot of time trying to get something cool, walk away empty handed and end up buying from someone else anyway.
You left out that in 8 months it will be almost useless and have very little value, because "the next great thing" has already come out

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Goodness me, some of you people have the patience of the saints and spare time to boot! Hundreds of times killing mobs? I barely have time to trim my coffee plantation and rescue a few little tigers! Fair play to you all.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You left out that in 8 months it will be almost useless and have very little value, because "the next great thing" has already come out
And that is a very good point, a good example are the Doom arties very few of those are even worth owning now days. Armor of Fortune and Orni come to mind. But even then I can get loot pieces and enhance that are better, or reforge and enhance and imbue up to 10 luck shy of the AF that has much better resist, lrc and other props. Then factor in the buffs that can be added to armor..... Don't get me wrong I am happy my crafters are useful again. Seems though new loot should be thought out to compliment the older existing best items instead of make them obsolete and of little value. Given the past time invested in obtaining a piece like a AF for example why not follow that with Sleeves of fortune, later legs of fortune, cap of fortune, and gloves of fortune, already have the mempo :) Top it off with the soles, 140 conjurers garb and the turn in jewels for a complete set of fortune armor with some buffs with the full set. AND NOT MAKE THEM NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO OBTAIN except my the most grinding elite, that the RNG does not hate :) Give everyone the opportunity to have nice things with out having to spend a couple hundred million. I forgot to log out and left my main toon on the porch of the wolf house a couple nights ago, while feeding the livestock. Came back in and a couple of reapers had spawned and killed me. I never use insurance so everything except the blessed items were gone. Tallied up the cost in gold of that loss and it was around 180,000,000 gold give or take 5 million. Not a huge deal for me as I keep 5 sets of duplicate armor for every character, not a great deal either because it was a stupid way to lose a bunch of stuff. It did get me to thinking though that a new or newer player or even a good number of casual players are not going to have 18 years worth of horded gold and items to fall back on. Yeah I know you can insure stuff and bless everything with enough gold now days. But I am old school in that regard. But it happened that insurance money in the bank runs out, there have been bugs that have cause blessed items to become unblessed, and insured items to stay on the corpse over the years. Not to mention the things that sometimes just seem to go poof during a transfer :) Someone without the resources to easily replace high value equipment and items might just call something like that a game ender. Again not saying it should be super easy to replace stuff but it should also not become your lifes mission. Slugging it with a champ that takes a hour or better to kill over and over or paying 40,000,000 -100,000,000+ for one piece of a suit ain't fun in most peoples book. Doing it 5-10-20 times sure hundreds of time unless your are really lucky..... most people just say screw it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say to this is... Got Luck?
I run a 2410 luck suit with 70s plus statue and do most of my hunting fel side Does not seem to make a bit of difference on the drops we are talking about, does make a difference in the overall quality of corpse full of junk.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With a Trial Account, got ya.
well obviously not a trial account. However, It would be a fun challenge. I bet i could train the toon in two days. and spend 12 days non stop killing medussa. takes about 10 minutes to kill. The eggs could be farmed pretty easy with a stealther as well. but yeah that would require a second account for efficiency sake.

Probably the easiest "legit" boss to kill for me solo. However, a lot of bosses are like this for vet players. They have increased skill cap, given us insane armor, insane weps, increased our stat cap, and better arties. Meanwhile its the same old monster to kill.

Very few bosses require any sort of tact when fighting. point click and kill. :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I guess i was very lucky today. Did 3x medusa and the 3rd kill dropped me a slither. So its still possible to get one.
Grats... still think it's about the same odds as hitting the lottery.. maybe ya shouldda purchased a lottery ticket that day instead of playing UO ;)

See the RNG loves you :)
Yeah, it loves some folks. Personally I think I must have kicked the programmers son's butt in school and they coded it with an Anti-Kinslayer line or two *shrugs*

hehehe

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drop-rate Fail-safe idea.... not a fan. Some items should be incredibly hard to get imo.

However, it should still be possible to be lucky and get 3 Tangles (for example) within 10 Navs... As I did some lucky moments...
My record is 5 in 4 hrs :) 2 Donated to a charity auction and 1 given to a friend. :thumbup:

It really has gotten to the point where I don't even bother participating in the new content that is added.....
Your missing out bro. The best places to get drops is almost always new content shortly after it is added. Don't give up boss.;)

Usually its about a year and half, give or take.:p

All I can say to this is... Got Luck?
Its my understanding that luck plays no part in artifact or boss drops, only their corpse loots. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, citations would be nice.:scholar:

medussa. takes about 10 minutes to kill.
My best is 8:17 solo with 437 arrows still left on her corpse(faster she dies, more arrows left over). The gauntlet has been thrown !:grin:

Did 3x medusa and the 3rd kill dropped me a slither.
CONGRATS !!:thumbsup:

Personally I think I must have kicked the programmers son's butt in school and they coded it with an Anti-Kinslayer line or two
DEVS were talking abt your code on the Broadsword Private Forums but I'm not supposed to say anything.:twak: :next: :D