• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ok i have a problem....Really....

SAVATAGE

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im working stealth and hiding up on a new character. Now my peoblem is everytime i try to stealth it tells me i cannot use this ability while mounted.

Now I know your thinking "Well get off the mount." Thats the part im having a problem with.. Im not on a mount. Ive tried getting on a horse and off again. Same message. i tried getting on a ethereal and back off.. Same message. While im ON any mounts i DONT get the message..

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes your char gets bugged, you might actually get a GM paging about this one... but he might not be able to fix it and your will have to send in a bug report.

K

Kiminality

That message appears whenever you fail to stealth.
Unless this is a new context of it appearing, unless you're mounted (in which case, it's correct), just treat it as any other stealth failure.

SAVATAGE

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That message appears whenever you fail to stealth.
Unless this is a new context of it appearing, unless you're mounted (in which case, it's correct), just treat it as any other stealth failure.

Your right... I just noticed i only get the message when failing....

Z

Zurloth

I have paged a GM and sent in a bug report still havent been fixed :/

To Kim, thats not the issue, my char will not stealth. If I try to take a step while hidden (GM hiding) it auto reveals with no message about failing to stealth. If I try to hide, then use the stealth skill I can succeed but when I take a step I still auto reveal with no message. Also im not runing, nor do i have allways run on.

Ive also tryed killing my char, opening paperdoll, crossing serverlines, and numerous other things.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trained up another stealther just recently and had the same issue. However, Kiminality is right: It's just the stealth-failed message that appears to have changed.
Try stealthing with less armour equiped or raise you skill with items untill you succeed. Also I found the Skill Tutor Statuette to be very usefull while training stealth. It will tell you exactly how effecient your current training method is, then you can adjust your equipment to optimize.
Another tip is to Shadow Jump instead of just walking around stealthed. When you walk you'll only get a skill check, and thus a chance to gain, every 8 to 12 steps, depending on your skill level. When Shadow Jumping you'll get a skill check every time you 'land'.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trained up another stealther just recently and had the same issue. However, Kiminality is right: It's just the stealth-failed message that appears to have changed.
I second this. (Third this?)

Stealthing and training stealth isn't changed. You don't fail more often. It's just the message.

I recently finished training Stealth on Siege a few weeks back.

Z

Zurloth

My char is bugged. I have 100 Hiding and was using jewls + ninja form getting up to 60 Stealth. EVEN WHEN I DIDNT FAIL TO STEALTH i still was auto revealing on first step (nakid minus jewls). I dont know if OP has same issue but thats what I had.
(I ended up just soulstoning the skills over and made a new char)

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My char is bugged. I have 100 Hiding and was using jewls + ninja form getting up to 60 Stealth. EVEN WHEN I DIDNT FAIL TO STEALTH i still was auto revealing on first step (nakid minus jewls). I dont know if OP has same issue but thats what I had.
(I ended up just soulstoning the skills over and made a new char)
If you're stealthing using jewels then move after you take them off the odds are very good you'll be revealed.

Z

Zurloth

OK lets try this again.

I am NOT saying that the Stealthing skill has changed (i.e. the chance to succeed, distance between skill checks, what you can wear at what skill level).

I am NOT saying that the problem I am having is affecting everyone else, but since I saw someone post with what appears to be a similar problem I posted in this thread.

Unlike the OP I am NOT getting any type of get off your mount message.

I believe my specific char is bugged and it appears that at least one other person has an issue so since only a small minority of players post on Stratics there are probably more people who have run into stealthing issues.

The bugged char has (well had now) 100 hiding.

I tried each of the below and the char always revealed on the first step. Each of the below was tried in several locations with no PCs or NPCs around (and then with a few on screen just for the heck of it) including my house, cities, woods, at a shrine and in a dungeon, all with the exact same results.

Naked, used hiding skill then attempting to walk.
Naked, used Ninja form that increases stealth, used hiding and attempted to walk.
Naked except for items that increase Stealth, used hiding and attempted to walk (note I did not take off the items to attempt to walk).
Naked used hiding skill then actively used stealth skill then attempted to walk.
Naked, used Ninja form that increases stealth, used hiding, actively used stealth skill than attempted to walk.
Naked except for items that increase Stealth, used Ninja form that increases stealth, used hiding skill, actively used stealth and attempted to walk (note I did not take off the items to attempt to walk).

I was not on any type of mount at any point during the above.

The only time I gained steathing skill was when I actively used the skill (and prior to taking a step).

I actually had someone standing over my shoulder watching me do these things because they believed I was either missing a message or some other explanation for what was happening.

I tried the suggestions made in prior posts and nothing fixed the issue.

Moved the skills over to a new char and everything works fine now so it was not my account that was bugged, just that char.

C

Calliope

You didn't, by some chance, have "Always Run" active on that char did you?

M

Millie

{Skill Tutor Statuette} what is this and where do you get one. I saw one for sale in a vendor but was un sure if it was real or not.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moved the skills over to a new char and everything works fine now so it was not my account that was bugged, just that char.
This is indeed possible. Rare but possible.

About a year or so ago I had a bugged character. The skill timer got 'stuck' while training tracking. No matter what I did I just couldn't use any skills: You must wait a few moments before performing another skill. After a few pages a GM came to fix my character.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
{Skill Tutor Statuette} what is this and where do you get one. I saw one for sale in a vendor but was un sure if it was real or not.
The Skill Tutor Statuette will assist you while training skills by telling you how difficult the action you are performing is relative to your skill level. For example, if you are training magery, when casting a spell you will get a message that spell was either Too Easy, Very Easy, Easy, Optimal or Challenging to cast.
The statuettes can be obtained through the Kingdom Reborn new player quest. You can only do this quest with the KR client. There's detailed information somewhere on uo.com (sorry can't be bothered to go find it).

R

Revenant2

It sounds like you guys have bugged chars and need GM help.

The first time you page, the GMs will probably not understand. You'll probably have to page twice to get the right people's attention.

I don't understand why people have to page twice and I think it's dumb as hell. I cannot shake the impression that there is a 2-tiered GM system and the 1st tier expects to always send people to a web site.