• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Official U-Hall Poll: To bump or not to bump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Edge_

1. Having participated in dozens of forums on a wide array of topics over the past several years, this is the first time I've ever seen a forum that doesn't automatically bump.

2. Not bumping ensures that topics will die quicker, as something can only stay on a relatively decent page for a day, if that (how long did it take for the price thread to get buried on page 12 so that everyone assumed it was deleted?). I know that I'd prefer to post somewhere else less active because there my posts won't get lost in the shuffle. After a while, I even lose track of where my own posts went. Ironically, one of my posts that got lost here was when I asked about why posts aren't bumped.

With that in mind, I vote yes to bumping.

G

I voted and "encountered a problem"
went to re-vote and it told me it already recieved a vote from my username...
I never got to see if my No Bump vote even mattered.
I hate when that happens...
What are the voting %s?????
Someone toss me a bone here please!
Thanks.

G

Grond

Poll results as of 11:38pm Pacific time May 26, 2003:

Should U-Hall allow post bumping or remain as is? (Total Votes: 234)
I want to allow bumping!
140 (59%)

U-Hall should remain as it is now!
83 (35%)

This is U-Hall? Dang, I took a wrong turn somewhere.
11 (04%)

T

Tronage

Well Cynewulf, you should know my vote, since I've been posting my own polls for this for some time now... Here is a quote from my latest poll taken from This Post
<blockquote><hr>

ANYONE (including myself) who wants posts to bump can give evidence of its benifits, and have actual reasons for it:
<ul>[*]Makes new content easy to find
[*]Lets you jump into the active discussions
[*]Keeps the hot topics at the top so the same questions don't keep getting asked
[*]Consolidates conversations into 1 thread rather then them getting broken up by people starting new threads on the same topic (because it marched off)
[*]I can go on and on.[/list]While those who don't like it, their reasoning is always the same "I like it like that". That isn't a benifit, nor a reason to justify something. PLEASE if there are some benifits to non-bumping PLEASE tell me them. Try to convert me please. because at the rate we're going, It would be easier for me to start likeing this format then fighting for bumping! The "only" benifit I can see with it, is for mods, it lets "flames" die quick so they don't have to lock threads, or delete posts. But esentially that is their responsibility being a Mod. And I can guarentee there are alot more "readers" of u.hall then there are mods

Lastly I, as others stated, I just want to have the OPTION, and not forced to use one or the other....

Again somone PLEASE tell me the reason behind the no-bump prefrence with out a "I like it that way" response.

<hr></blockquote>Also The results of my latest poll (since it wasn't a mod-sticky, it got marched off because of the very systems design I want to change)
My poll results here
<blockquote><hr>

To Bump, or Not to Bump. That is the Question (Total Votes: 18)
Bumping - sorted by date of last reply to thread
12 (66%)
No-Bumping - sorted by date of original post
6 (33%)

<hr></blockquote>

G

Whelp, the poll has been up slightly longer than a week and it seems the community has decided. I'll make the change probably today.

I hate all of you who wanted this to change, but I'm sure I'll get over it. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I've asked Teresk for an update on making this an option and I'll share that with you when he gets back to me.

T

Tronage

OMG! Wow look who changed their toon they are singing... Wonder where you got this idea from... Right now your saying:
<blockquote><hr>

It is, but it doesn't appear to be at the top of the priority list. In the meanwhile, we should probably go with the community wishes.

<hr></blockquote> but (ironicly) EXACTLY 1 month ago today you said Here<blockquote><hr>

We are looking into the possibility having it as a settable option. We don't know if it's possible. Perhaps the option will be part of Stratics Plus. Perhaps not. Currently there is a huge backlog of higher priority things to be worked on. If it turns out that it cannot be personally configured by each individual, we'll probably have a poll to see what the community prefers. Up until now, the community as a whole as selected the way things currently are set up. Fair enough?

<hr></blockquote>
So I said in reply Here
<blockquote><hr>

Ok so let me get this straight. I have to live with this sort format while:
1) the higher priority issues get resolved
THEN
2) the devs attempt to figure a way to make it an option
THEN
3a) if said option fails, we take a vote.
3b) if said option works, it is put in.
I got a better idea on what is fair: How about taking the vote NOW it takes me 30 seconds to configure a poll on UBB. Anyone could do it, and lock it at the top, and leave it there for a week or whatever (while you guys work on the higher-priority issues). Then we will see who is the majority and the minority....
That to me would be FAIR.

<hr></blockquote> And in reply to this you said very nicely Here<blockquote><hr>

Tronage--
Well, yes, you do have to live with it for now. If that makes me or the others here unfair, so be it. You can always download my picture and throw darts at it. It'll make the time go faster while you're waiting.

<hr></blockquote> Now a MONTH later, you realize "maybe" we should see what the public wants regardless of what is technically possible... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/members/lol2.gif Really makes me giggle hard till it hurts /php-bin/shared/images/icons/members/lol2.gif.

Cynewulf , you sure your not an OSI employee? You seem to sure act like one. Someone offers a suggestion, you shoot it down saying, no we can't do that, or no that is not possible. Then in the next breath a month later you come out with said suggestion as if it was your own idea... (aka Black dye tubs come to mind, originally created as an exploit, OSI deems it "wrong", then a little while later, OMG black tubs being given out as gifts by OSI... hmmm).

I don't mean to attack you Cynewulf, but I was a bit offended by your "tough noogies" responce. So I just wanted to point this out, and that I'm happy you are comming to your sences... Though a month later (you SURE you don't work for osi? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif )

G

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt; . . . and that I'm happy you are comming to your sences... </font color=blue>

Please don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to maintain.

Actually, it's called "changing my mind." It's a thing I do when certain input refutes previously held beliefs (a function of learning and paying attention, I would hope).

I would have been content to leave things status quo until the option became available. During the interim time, the option possibility moved from the realm of weeks to the realm of months (I still don't know if it can be done, since I haven't heard officially--only that it was a possibility, and likewise, if it becomes an option, it may be something that would affect EVERY forum, and not just a U-Hall only option). During the interim time, we had the price increase flurry which kind of put stress on the system (yes, the skillions of griping posts quickly went away because they couldn't be bumped, but they also pushed away other posts).

Finally, it may be a good idea to "try" it, since the majority wants to. It's still not in stone. After dealing with it, we can take another vote and see if people want to change it back.

You may see this as being inconsistent. I see this as being attentive, responsive, and dynamic. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

Perhaps there should be a poll about whether the Wulfman works for OSI, is inconsistent, is mega-k3wl, or was the unfortunate victim of a noogie-induced lobotomy.

T

Tronage

<blockquote><hr>

Please don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to maintain.

<hr></blockquote> Hey you turned on bumping, I'll not only not tell anyone, but I'll walk your dog, and wash your windows.... In a virtual sort of way of cource...

But now I'm 100.1% happy (just got a +5 power scroll, so I've gotta work it up some). And you see the value of listening to the community. And it takes a big man to institue bumping when I know your against it!

Oh and I vote for the "unfortunate victim of a noogie-induced lobotomy." choice... That should be one of the new wrestling special moves...

H

Hey Mr Wonderful

ugh post bumping made uhall worst..to actually see new posts you must now travel back a page or two from those that got bumped..i should have voted no instead of taking a wrong trip..

Status
Not open for further replies.