• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Oddest... pet...... evah?

E

Evilminion

Sooooo, what's the strangest pet you've had in the game?

And by "pet", I don't mean something you tamed on a laugh, paraded around, and then released; I mean something you tamed, put in the stables, bonded, trained, and proudly displayed on the field of battle. Battle cow, anyone? Vicious assault cuckoo?

Extra points if you have a screenshot! :D

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

And by "pet", I don't mean something you tamed on a laugh, paraded around, and then released; I mean something you tamed, put in the stables, bonded, trained, and proudly displayed on the field of battle. Battle cow, anyone? Vicious assault cuckoo?

My purple battle Bunny.hen it first got bonded I would attack guildmates that were afk,poor bunny got killed soo many times by the "auto-defend" that I had to make rabbit soups.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "Silly Pets Dungeon Crawl" on Europa was attended by: an albino squirrel, a squirrel, an imprisoned dog, a giant rat, 3 mongbats and a sheep.

All bonded, mostly at least part-trained.

They were able to take-down ogre lords.

WizzaX

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i bonded and trained up my 2 red invasion imps.

they kill dragons now!

... but not greater dragons lol

WizzaX

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh i bonded and trained "an uber wabbit" it was one of the neon purple bunnies!
that was alot of fun watching him kill npc humas and horses at the same time. haha

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did have a Giant Toad pretty well trained up but I had to let him go to get a Dread Warhorse. However I still have my all GM Greater Chicken Mighty Cluck Norris. I have a neon bunny too but i have never trained him.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here a question from a tamer noob:

About the creatures that can be controlled by people with no taming skill. Can those creatures (like a dog or a wolf) actually be useful if they are well-trained? What can they kill? And how long would it take to train such a creature?

Thanks for your help!

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're unlikely to survive more then a single flame strike no matter how much effort you put into them. See, their resists tend to be ridiculously low.

Oddly enough a squirrel is much more powerful then a dog. I was going to tame a dark wolf from the invasion, as I think they're otherwise extinct. Stables are kinda full though...

A giant beetle will take down a frost troll on it's own once they reach the higher levels, I hunted liches with mine but that involved some fairly hefty healing.

A good way to work the weak creatures is to take them to New Haven, stick 'em on a boat, and let the spellbinders pump up their spell resist. This causes them to gain stats as well, which gives them valuable hit points for later combat training.

I've been training an inprisoned dog up. Whenever it mimics a character it gets a weapon and armor, along with the associated damage/resist bonuses. I'm not sure if it can actually train weapon skills though.

N

Nenime

About the creatures that can be controlled by people with no taming skill. Can those creatures (like a dog or a wolf) actually be useful if they are well-trained? What can they kill? And how long would it take to train such a creature?

Thanks for your help!
I already provided an answer in the Tamer's section where you asked as well.

A Timber Wolf has canine pack instinct so if you have five of them, all trained up to GM in every skill... wow, they could do some mess. Your only problem would be to keep them alive as you don't have Vet. You have to be your pretty fast with your healing spells then.

C

Coppelia

Thanks for your help!
It varies a lot.
Animals with 1-1 base damage won't ever do more than 1 dmg, whatever their strenght may be.
Otherwise, as said above, they mainly lack of survivability because of their resists, and in the beginning of the training, because of their low HP. You must be very careful with what you train them with.
It's advised to use peacemaking to help, that allows you to attack creatures that could one-shot your pet. You can also attack the mob first and take the hits.
Pack animals are more efficient of course.

CFC Rachel

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Chicken of Coarse!!
Every Sat night at 8pm EST on the Great Lakes Shard you can see these type of pets fight it out to the death. With a little Peacemake and Vet these things can take out alot of big critters. I used to take a pack of 5 chickens to kill Reg Dragons. One peace on the Dragon, just to let them get started and they do the rest.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A guy in my alliance had a cu sidhe that had the horse graphic when mounted, rat man graphic when dismounted, but still made dog noises. where he got it i have no idea, how it became glitched i have no idea, but that is by far the oddst pet ever.

I would never have believed it if i didnt see it with my own two eyes.

C

Corrupted Goblin

A guy in my alliance had a cu sidhe that had the horse graphic when mounted, rat man graphic when dismounted, but still made dog noises. where he got it i have no idea, how it became glitched i have no idea, but that is by far the oddst pet ever.

I would never have believed it if i didnt see it with my own two eyes.
Thats just from fighting the Baracoon happens all the time and it fades about 5-10 minutes after the baracoon dies.

C

Corrupted Goblin

quick note i beleive a while back if you had stabled them right away then they would stay that way. i beleive that has since been fixed but his might be a grandfathered bug

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've got a pair of ferrets I've been in a few battles with.

I still need to finish training them some day...

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm training the changeling dog, is so weak but very funny to use, it take the resistances of the original creature, the best form is the greater dragon ones :D
It's funny to see a greater dragon with 40 hp or a bonded energy vortex :D

D

Devil_Woman

I have a squirrel who's fairly well trained. He can take out a frost troll or Ice Island orc camp with little to no healing on my part.

Hawkeye, one of the best ways to train any pet is with a shadow elemental. Shadow elementals take no damage at all from pets. You do have to lore it and check its skills since pet training also requires pets to fight something at the appropriate skill level in order to gain. They have to be within a certain range of each other for them to gain. I want to say that range is ten points, but I really don't remember if that's correct. For pets with really low HPs it's best to do this either in conjunction with a higher level pet or a friend with one. When we train pets, we usually make a group activity of it. The elemental will only damage the first pet to attack it so other pets, and I think we've had as many as six or more, will gain but won't need healing. We generally all keep an eye on the one pet taking damage and keep it healed. Sometimes we have to kill the elemental and spawn another one if it either is too high in skill or gains enough to get too high (they gain while training, too).

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is a Changeling Dog? I know Changelings, and I know Dogs...
It's the "Imprisoned Dog" I mentioned before. On occasion, Travesty drops a funny power crystal. You use it to get, well, a bonded dog (same looks, same sort of stats) - But it randomly changes into the shape of other creatures or players in the area.

I renamed mine to "a changling". Since it won't go back to dog form after it's first morph (unless you kill/stable it), many people can't tell (though it always makes dog noises).

Each (most?) peerless drops something similar. For example, parox's swamp dragon, or the albino squirrel.

S

Sebrina

Thanks for your help!
-Don't know if I'm going the right direction with your question, but I'll throw this out anyway.

Though, my main character's profession is that of Scribe, gm'ing Necro was quite a boost to get the Dark Wolf familiar. With that and a Peacer friend, taming a couple of Bake-Kitsune to take with me to mark spots in some unfriendly territories, has been quite helpfull. I've had few troubles with unwanted attacks in Felucca.

Rather than say, "Hey guys, I'm just here to mark some spots for runebooks," my Kitsune will be all over them as soon as they target me, even many squares away. I stable them when not using to protect me, and have never intentionally trained them...they get that along the way.

But I'll never forget one poor soul that targetted me and had two Kitsune on him in a flash and followed him off screen. I had to go find them after finishing my marks. The attacker was either killed or recalled out. I'll never know because I lost con, and was not able to get back on for a while, but about 5 screens away, there they were. "OK boys, lets go home. You've had enough fun for one day!"

Why, a fox (three tailed) is considered part of the dog or wolf catagory, I have no clue. With the Dark Wolf I've also tamed up to 4 other wolves and had them protect me as well. And yes, they do appear to (train-up,) though I do not have the Animal Lore skill to confirm this. That can be very distracting for an agressor since they are having to fend off many other attacks, while YOU can cast spells on the attacker. OUCH's to them!

Mean? Not at all! I never attack first, and my minions will react faster than I can hit a button for a command macro. This works for PvP or PvM.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have never had a weird pet.

Weird pets I've seen:

1. Guardcow. (A tamed cow.)

2. A cat named with an indication for this dude's Guild Mistress to send him an ICQ message (example "joaniqcme" for "joan ICQ me").

3. I always laugh at horses named "Glue." Always.

4. A horse that was, when dismounted, Inu the Crone's pet rune beetle.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My crafter's pack horse is named Destined for Glue. :D
And I, of course, laugh.

Oh and let me add.

5. My horses used to die so often that I would call them something like "wontlastlong," "a horsecorpse," "walking death," etc.

6. A horse named "a moose" that the player was roleplaying was actually a ride-able moose.

-Galen's player

L

Lady Mana

Oddest pet ever.. YOU ASKED FOR IT.

A few years ago I was wandering around the Britain moongate when I found a goat that was ACTUALLY a piece of stone wall. It was just wandering around, and so I tamed it!

I named it Stoney, I don't have a screenshot (though a few other people snagged some)... and it was the weirdest pet I ever had. Unfortunately, while taking it for a walk one day, it found some stone similar to itself near Castle British and walked up to it. I couldn't call it back after that (even though it still made its goat noises)... so it stayed there for a few days or so before disappearing mysteriously xD