• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Now we pay tax per account?

C

cumberline

You should contact your State Comptroller/Treasurer for more insight on this matter. I am sure they would like to know if taxes are being collected on their behalf and they are not receiving it, or if taxes are being otherwise improperly charged. :scholar:
This makes sense.

Another thing is to see if you will actually be charged the tax.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont live in virginia... ill be damned if im gona pay viriginia tax.... sorry not gonna happen... this either gets fixxed or im done. period.

I live in florida (which has no internet sales tax for subscriptions) then i should only pay the florida sales tax where applicable by law. Since they have none I shouldnt be paying any taxes.

I dont give a rats patootey about where Mythic is headquartered.... there was no mention of this anywhere in the notes about this account migration craptastathon.

Mark my words... no taxation or I quit.

:yell:
Hey so can you list coords of your house so we can camp it when it goes IDOC?

LordGenesis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hey so can you list coords of your house so we can camp it when it goes IDOC?
Classic Troll.

But for all you future "can i haz your stuff" trolls out there.

When I quit... it all goes with me... deleting everything in banks bags and houses... nothing will be left to be scavenged period.

LordGenesis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This makes sense.

Another thing is to see if you will actually be charged the tax.
Already checked with the state and currently there is no sales tax on internet purchases made for online services outside the state.

Yes I was actually charged tax, i checked my bank account it dont say 12.99 anymore it shows as 13.90 and its not a pending charge its a processed charge so yes the tax was charged.

Hell we didnt even get any sort of notice that they were applying taxes to everyones accounts now... :lame:

R

Ronsard E.

Why am I being charged sales tax on my subscription?

The billing system is definetely screwed as it adds the said tax to Non-US billing addresses in Germany as well which is plain wrong.

I have sent an email to the UO support team one week ago and received nothing but an automatically generated answer that I should expect a reply within 72 hours.

I fully understand that they presently have a lot to do fixing the problems but an official statement on this issue on UO Herald should be in their very own interest as people get really upset when it comes to their money and subscription cancellations are very likely to happen.

I will definetely not confirm the CC information update on my accounts until this is solved...

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic Troll.

When I quit... it all goes with me... deleting everything in banks bags and houses... nothing will be left to be scavenged period.
Sheesh thats kinda sour grapes isn't it Genesis? Wasn't trolling I sincerely like doing IDOC's

But hey it's your stuff sorry I asked.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If EA conducts business of any sort within your state, they typically have to charge and collect the tax. Of course, EA and Blizzard were collecting taxes for purchases here in Illinois before they were actually taxable, but in their opinion, better safe than sorry. EA doesn't keep the money anyway... it goes to your state, so you can always take it up with them.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
uk pays £13.90 now per account pe month.

DOES THE USA still pay just $9.99= £6?????

scandalaous if its true

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic Troll.

But hey since I seemed to have insulted you somehow.. (otherwise you wouldn't have called me a troll.)

If I give you 5 mil in game would you keep playing? that should cover your tax.. (at least this month).. then we all win.

You get to keep playing.. And I won't feel so bad for insulting you unintentionally.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

scandalaous if its true
and No..
If you pay by the month Ultima is 14.03 a month Colorado..

A

Aboo

Colorado is NOT on the list but we are getting charged this tax as well..

I think it's only a buck and change, so what?
Yeah Yeah I know people will say it's the principle of the thing.
But you can't get around taxes and it's only a buck.
In my case it's $1.12 per month, per account. If I just had one account that would be okay. However, I have 6 accounts so that adds up to almost $7.00 extra per month. That would pay for half a month on one account!

The way our economy is right now, it's a luxury to be able to play UO at all. Then when you go tacking extra on top of it that you were not being charged before, well some people may decide it's not worth it and close some of those extra accounts they have.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my case it's $1.12 per month, per account. If I just had one account that would be okay. However, I have 6 accounts so that adds up to almost $7.00 extra per month. That would pay for half a month on one account!

The way our economy is right now, it's a luxury to be able to play UO at all. Then when you go tacking extra on top of it that you were not being charged before, well some people may decide it's not worth it and close some of those extra accounts they have.
Just want to point out if you buy three months at a time.. add the tax.
It's still cheaper than paying monthly.. I know thats small consolation for some people...

But it is a Game that us that can afford it CHOOSE to spend our money on right?

But hey, lets not rub it in...

-P.S. Come to my party Aboo.. see post in Account Migration Party.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

scandalaous if its true
VERY untrue.

UO stopped being $9.99/month back around the time Mondain's Legacy launched, increasing to $12.99/month, plus taxes. Most states' taxes (that have them) would make the US cost about the equivalent of £9/month.

The only ones close to paying $10/month were persons on the 6-month subscription, in states that weren't being taxed prior to the new account system. Where taxed, that worked out to about $11-12(£7)/month, but paid 6 months at once. What's the per month breakdown of a 6-month sub in Pounds?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well Iowa isn't on that list either.... despite what Zosimus said...

And I've never paid it before...

what it amounts to is about the cost of one months account.... so... chances are I'll be dropping at least one account if I continue to have to pay the tax..... as my "gaming" budget is maxed as is...

Meaning EA games will be getting less money from me... and the state of Iowa will be getting tax money they shouldn't.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where taxed, that worked out to about $11-12(£7)/month, but paid 6 months at once. What's the per month breakdown of a 6-month sub in Pounds?
Right now 180 Day Codes are £36.66, Which is a rather nice £6.11 per month.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and No..
If you pay by the month Ultima is 14.03 a month Colorado..
Hmm...your taxes in that lovely city where you live must be just a tad bit higher than where I live. I'm also in Colorado and seeing $13.99 for a monthly UO sub in Colorado ($12.99 plus $1.00 tax).

Just for grins, I did some digging this evening on the Colorado Department of Revenue website and I think through June 30, 2012, we're probably stuck with paying the state sales and use tax of 2.9% on something like UO because the state legislature eliminated some sales and use tax exemptions effective March 1, 2010. (See below the asterisks for more details.) When I add to the 2.9% state rate the general sales taxes for the city where I live and the special districts it falls within (3.62%, 1%, 0.1% and another 0.1%), I get a total for all the sales and use taxes of 7.72%. $12.99 x 0.0772 comes out to $1.002828. So it looks like EA's new accounting system is properly calculating sales and use taxes for where I actually live.

Edited to add: I will probably never again lobby for UO packages in stores after this exercise (see below for more details). I have a feeling Colorado isn't the only state that seems to be content for now to exempt digitally delivered software from sales and use tax.

More details on the Colorado state sales and use tax on the sale of standardized software:

As note above, the legislature eliminated several sales and use tax exemptions last year. One of the exemptions they eliminated was for standardized software. However, it looks like there's been some attempt to clarify what that means and UO probably won't be subject to the state sales and use tax starting July 1, 2012 unless there are some drastic changes to how it's being delivered. As of that date, the state sales and use tax won't apply to computer software unless it is sold pre-packaged for repeated sale or license (and "prepackaged" generally means shrink-wrapped boxes); is governed by a tear-open non-negotiable license agreement contained in the package and effective upon opening the package; and is delivered to the customer in a tangible medium. (Delivery through an application service provider, electronic software delivery, or transferral by load and leave software delivery don't count as delivery to the customer in a tangible medium.) The document titled "FYI Sales 89" from July 2011 on the Colorado Department of Revenue website has more details regarding the application of the state sales and use tax to computer software if you want more details. Also note that Colorado Special Regulation 40 clarifies that no sales and use tax applies to providing a service for a fee.

I'm not in the mood to go delving through city sales and use tax info or try to find such information for all the special taxing districts where I live. I have a feeling that with the economy the way it is currently, interpretation is probably as broad as possible at this point and I honestly don't have the desire to look into it further. Heck, I live in the city and those districts and at some point or another I'm sure I benefit to some extent from the collection and use of the taxes. If you want to get a quick overview of Colorado city and county sales taxes, there's a nice little tool here on the Department of Revenue site: http://www.taxview.state.co.us/QueryTaxrates.aspx?selected=1.

[Apologies to anyone who doesn't live in Colorado and managed to wade through all that! If you do live in Colorado, I hope it was helpful and maybe cools you off a bit when you think about that tax amount you're suddenly paying but possibly should have been paying since at least March 2010.]

F

Fayled Dhreams

Ok maybe i did not make this clear enough for you to comprehend. I live in florida we have no state income tax or internet sales tax for out of state purchases period.

According to the links you have so graciously provided me... here is the list of states that require the sales tax to be collected...

Im not seeing Florida in there are you?

Im not paying sales tax for a state I DO NOT LIVE IN!!

People in the UK are getting double taxxed now... so CLEARLY there is a problem with the billing system not recognizing the zip codes that they base your sales tax on.

14 YEARS of billing and looking through my statements for the last 5 years... They have never collected sales tax for me living in florida.... so YES this is a new thing to me and no im not happy with it at all.
OY! Lordgen ... what you ain't catching onto is
A) Linkage date: 02-09-2008
B) >any tax< that EA IS and/or Will be collecting IS per YOUR STATE and ITS taxes ...
Your state and county and city and gated community >taxes<

C) You are screaming towards a rage quit over ...13.90 - 12.99 ..... $0.91?????????

*shoots sleeves*
that >maybe< a telephonic tax as applied to delivery via phone lines (landlines up to dsl)
and/or Cable hanging from poles maintence tax, or labeling for buried lines sprouting from neighborhood terminal access points
or
HA!
FL Dept Rev - Florida's Communications Services Tax General Information Communications Services Tax

Get your PHONE BILL out and see IF there are any other piddly amount of taxes being collected that you Did not know about.
YOUR state asked EA to Collect that piddly 0.91
ask EA why and for what ... use a Pay phone to make the call
Ask your local Tax rep why you were not told, use a land line for that ...

YOU"RE WELCOME nhb# nhb* nhb*&^%^&^$% ... :danceb:

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I live in Europe, yet I pay in dollars and are taxed in dollars.

Very expensive now to play UO. Maybe it was a bad time to come back :(
I live in the UK and wish I was paying in $

I pay £9.99 plus they have added in £1.66 'tax' despite the fact that as a UK customer I am paying 17.5% VAT (Value Added Tax), which is a sales tax, and is included in the £9.99

The result now is that a UO account now costs me the equivalent of over $19.08 at todays exchange rates !!

Cancellation time I think.

Raknar Skarsol

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I´m from Germany, usualy paid 13,99 € per Account per month. ( wich is 20,20 $ at the current rate).
Now there is this Tax wich adds another 2,23 € (3,22 $) to every account monthly.
That is 16,22€ per account per month (23,42 $ !!!!)
I have 5 Accounts (4 of them are active, one is closed).
So i shall pay 93,68 Dollar every month to play UO ?? thats a little bit to much i think.
Why must i pay taxes in the US ? In Germany we have 19% VAT wich was always includet in the 13,99€.

I don´t think that this is the right way for EA to hold their paying people in this game.

*waves*
Rak

i hope u understand me, my english is not really the best

U

unified

All this despite the fact I didn't update my billing info!
Same here. I am glad they did this. I was putting it off because I was really burned out after updating my mother's billing information. I kept asking myself why they didn't do it. :)

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't show Oklahoma either but we are now being charged tax.

I am still looking through the Taxability Matrix that Fayled Dhreams posted for Oklahoma. As is usual for the government, it's hard to make heads or tails from it. It would help to know what our subscriptions are considered.

However, according to your post from EA, since Oklahoma is not in the list just as Florida isn't, we shouldn't be charged tax but we are.
That list is at least 2 years old and is not even available on EA's support website anymore. The tax rate in Massachuettes increased in 2009 to 6.25%.

Luna [MoD]

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I´m from Germany, usualy paid 13,99 € per Account per month. ( wich is 20,20 $ at the current rate).
Now there is this Tax wich adds another 2,23 € (3,22 $) to every account monthly.
That is 16,22€ per account per month (23,42 $ !!!!)
I have 5 Accounts (4 of them are active, one is closed).
So i shall pay 93,68 Dollar every month to play UO ?? thats a little bit to much i think.
Why must i pay taxes in the US ? In Germany we have 19% VAT wich was always includet in the 13,99€.

I don´t think that this is the right way for EA to hold their paying people in this game.

*waves*
Rak

i hope u understand me, my english is not really the best
100% agree
This is a absolutely intolerable that european Customers have to pay this idiotic fees + taxes.
Who of the American Customers would pay 23,42 Dollar per Account/Month for an 14 Years old Game?
When i'm not wrong the price for UO is 9.99 Dollar per Month (+ taxes) and this are only 6,9228 Euros (without taxes) at the moment.
And why we have to pay Taxes when already 19% Vat is included in our Monthly payment?
This is scamming at the highest level and dont will work.
Shame on you EA or whoever is responsible for this fraud.

Luna

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Understanding SST State Sourcing Rules

[...]

Recently, conforming legislation was introduced in Texas, Massachusetts, Florida, Illinois, Virginia, Missouri, Maine, California, and Hawaii.
By introduced, does that mean just the idea was introduced? Hm.

According to this page, all of the states listed above are "Advisory State-Not Conforming," which I assume means they do not follow SST yet?

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the reason ea is charging everyone taxes now is they are based in california, july 1st california lowered its sales tax from 9.5% to 8.5% but implenmented a internet sales tax, bascily any company that has offices in california are required to charge sales tax on all internet sales no matter the location. its one of the reasons amazon.com just killed 40,000 of there affiliates from there revinue sharing program so they wouldnt have to pay the sales taxes.

S

Sevin0oo0

Well, supposedly the billing information is the one thing that was not going to transfer over.
If you have recurring payment set up on active accounts, then you'll still need to get in there and enter new billing information.
supposedly ? where did you read that? Herald?
Only thing I saw on recurring was that if you were set to bill during the period from August 5th, through the time in which we enable the account center, you will be charged. Nothing about having to go in and do anything, as in do nothing unless you can't log in to the game, then do the contact CS thing.

R

Ronsard E.

the reason ea is charging everyone taxes now is they are based in california, july 1st california lowered its sales tax from 9.5% to 8.5% but implenmented a internet sales tax, bascily any company that has offices in california are required to charge sales tax on all internet sales no matter the location. its one of the reasons amazon.com just killed 40,000 of there affiliates from there revinue sharing program so they wouldnt have to pay the sales taxes.
If this is their justification to charge the mysterious taxes then all should be the same percentage which is not the case according to various posts here. In case these taxes are based on the billing address then the taxes should not be charged for Non-US billing addresses as we have no internet sales taxes in Germany and UK (yet). We have VAT which is already included in the subscription fees according to the account management center.

For me it still looks like a very big mess and if it is intended as it is now all of their accountants should be fired because of incompetence. I don't know much about US taxes but I looked at the charged taxes in Germany and noticed the following:
- 1 month subscription fee is € 13,99 (including VAT) plus € 2,23 dubious taxes
- 3 months subscription fee is € 39,99 (including VAT) plus € 6,38 dubious taxes
- 6 months subscription fee is € 67,99 (including VAT) plus € 10,86 dubious taxes
If you calculate the percentages of the dubious taxes for all three options you will find out that only a percentage of 15,965 % will result in the stated tax amounts. Yes, you need to calculate up to three digits after the decimal point to get a correct rounding for all three amounts.
Now please name me just ONE country which has a tax rate with THREE DIGITS AFTER THE DECIMAL POINT!!!
And please do not argue with rounding tolerance as NO tax authorities will ever make such allowances. If my company would charge the VAT with a 1 cent discrepancy on EVERY invoice the accountants would get in serious trouble right after the next revenue audit....

I will not update my CC information and pay these dubious "taxes" but use gametime codes in the future. In this regard I would like to know if the game time bought from uogamecodes.com will now be automatically added to the account or not as they don't send any codes by email which can be entered at the account center.

There should be a clear official statement about the payment issues; even the well known "we will have a look on it" would be appreciated :)

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm...your taxes in that lovely city where you live must be just a tad bit higher than where I live. I'm also in Colorado and seeing $13.99 for a monthly UO sub in Colorado ($12.99 plus $1.00 tax).

Just for grins, I did some digging this evening on the Colorado Department of Revenue website and I think through June 30, 2012, we're probably stuck with paying the state sales and use tax of 2.9% on something like UO because the state legislature eliminated some sales and use tax exemptions effective March 1, 2010. (See below the asterisks for more details.) When I add to the 2.9% state rate the general sales taxes for the city where I live and the special districts it falls within (3.62%, 1%, 0.1% and another 0.1%), I get a total for all the sales and use taxes of 7.72%. $12.99 x 0.0772 comes out to $1.002828. So it looks like EA's new accounting system is properly calculating sales and use taxes for where I actually live.

Edited to add: I will probably never again lobby for UO packages in stores after this exercise (see below for more details). I have a feeling Colorado isn't the only state that seems to be content for now to exempt digitally delivered software from sales and use tax.

More details on the Colorado state sales and use tax on the sale of standardized software:

As note above, the legislature eliminated several sales and use tax exemptions last year. One of the exemptions they eliminated was for standardized software. However, it looks like there's been some attempt to clarify what that means and UO probably won't be subject to the state sales and use tax starting July 1, 2012 unless there are some drastic changes to how it's being delivered. As of that date, the state sales and use tax won't apply to computer software unless it is sold pre-packaged for repeated sale or license (and "prepackaged" generally means shrink-wrapped boxes); is governed by a tear-open non-negotiable license agreement contained in the package and effective upon opening the package; and is delivered to the customer in a tangible medium. (Delivery through an application service provider, electronic software delivery, or transferral by load and leave software delivery don't count as delivery to the customer in a tangible medium.) The document titled "FYI Sales 89" from July 2011 on the Colorado Department of Revenue website has more details regarding the application of the state sales and use tax to computer software if you want more details. Also note that Colorado Special Regulation 40 clarifies that no sales and use tax applies to providing a service for a fee.

I'm not in the mood to go delving through city sales and use tax info or try to find such information for all the special taxing districts where I live. I have a feeling that with the economy the way it is currently, interpretation is probably as broad as possible at this point and I honestly don't have the desire to look into it further. Heck, I live in the city and those districts and at some point or another I'm sure I benefit to some extent from the collection and use of the taxes. If you want to get a quick overview of Colorado city and county sales taxes, there's a nice little tool here on the Department of Revenue site: http://www.taxview.state.co.us/QueryTaxrates.aspx?selected=1.

[Apologies to anyone who doesn't live in Colorado and managed to wade through all that! If you do live in Colorado, I hope it was helpful and maybe cools you off a bit when you think about that tax amount you're suddenly paying but possibly should have been paying since at least March 2010.]
This is weird.. I thought taxes were determined statewide,, why the extra 4 cents for me I wonder?

F

Fayled Dhreams

This is weird.. I thought taxes were determined statewide,, why the extra 4 cents for me I wonder?
explained above, Statewide and county and city and districts and exceptions ...
down to side of the street in your zipcode >MAY< matter ...
/simple :hahaha: i used "simple" :hahaha:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure which city you're in, but just looking at two neighboring cities in your area, one has a sales tax of 3.9% and the other is at 2.5% (it's 3.62% for the city I'm in). They're both in the same county and it has its own sales tax of 1.0%. And then there is a rural transportation authority district that covers some of the cities and counties in your area and it has a 1.0% sales tax of its own. Add all that to the 2.9% state sales and use tax and you could be at a total of 8.8% sales and use tax for where you reside. Multiply 12.99 * 1.088 and you're at $14.13. So I'm guessing you're in a city in the same county and same rural transportation authority district but that has a sales tax of around 3.1%. Maybe.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand the issues that some are being taxed more then others. The best issue to deal with the whole situation is if it is a screw up by the account center is to remove your billing.

You have 90 days basically to save your house so like I said above, if its the account center issue then just put your account on hold until it's fixed.

Now if they are really taxing and the taxes are legit even the outrageous ones I have seen and discussed in icq, you do have options. The Boston tea party comes into mind over the tax issues but alas...we are in a more modern world.

Options:

#1) Continue to pay and play the game.

#2) Dont pay and quit UO.

#3) (fill in the blank option)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand the issues that some are being taxed more then others. The best issue to deal with the whole situation is if it is a screw up by the account center is to remove your billing.

You have 90 days basically to save your house so like I said above, if its the account center issue then just put your account on hold until it's fixed.

Now if they are really taxing and the taxes are legit even the outrageous ones I have seen and discussed in icq, you do have options. The Boston tea party comes into mind over the tax issues but alas...we are in a more modern world.

Options:

#1) Continue to pay and play the game.

#2) Dont pay and quit UO.

#3) (fill in the blank option)
Perhaps the reason I really don't care is because I've always payed tax. I really doubt many people are going to quite over it though.

S

soulstoner

Right Sevin. I'd gleaned the migrain was going to happen without my need to venture onto the new platform during the move unless I couldn't log on - then call customer support (which sounds like torture camp). ...............from Herald News -
Our priorities are to move all your information securely, make certain we have all the new customer support tools are in place for this transition, and to return you to the game as quickly and safely as we can... Cal's Aug 12.
after getting a grip from reading all the reports on UHall ..
:wall::wall::rant2::shots:
:next::gee::wall::scholar:
:wall::popcorn:
I gathered the do nothing option was for me & bf.
We each have only one account.
Both have had recurring monthly billing set up for past 5 years on respective different cc and both got same results:
Mine came to monthly billing yesterday and his today...
We were charged the usual $12.99 with no tax and had no disruption to game time...
We are pleased & don't plan to check out new site until the dust settles as it seems to have caused self inflicted injuries for some of the brave pioneers with multiple accounts & special situations - Thanks for the QC !!! :)

Happy East Coast Hurricane Season !!
Block ice & peanut butter ftw

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps the reason I really don't care is because I've always payed tax. I really doubt many people are going to quite over it though.
I have talked to some european players and some are being charged around $20.00 USD some are less and some are little more (ranging from $19.98 to $20.05). Now thats a big jump in taxes. Not all european players because I dont know the situation if it's hitting all those players or just a few here and there. Just the ones I have discussed in icq on my list.

Because you are used to paying taxes isnt the issue. We all pay taxes in some way. Try to understand it from their situation. $20.00 USD is more then US players are paying for one account. For a 14 year old game that is outrageous.

F

Fayled Dhreams

I have talked to some european players and some are being charged around $20.00 USD some are less and some are little more (ranging from $19.98 to $20.05). Now thats a big jump in taxes. Not all european players because I dont know the situation if it's hitting all those players or just a few here and there. Just the ones I have discussed in icq on my list.

Because you are used to paying taxes isnt the issue. We all pay taxes in some way. Try to understand it from their situation. $20.00 USD is more then US players are paying for one account. For a 14 year old game that is outrageous.
Oh hush ... how many of these do you think it takes to Play UO at monthly rates?

math and numbers and accounting in the hall ...

:scholar:truly, the Apocalypse MUST be a coming next year ...

Cause NOW we're talking politics and currencies and TAXES ...

in the hall ... *shakes head burrrdeberp*

Politicians impose taxes and "commissions"
commissions impose regulations on companies for access and compliance
companies collect and pass on the monies
Gamers receive the annotated bill and complain to their brethren on forums
the boardies agree that everyone else don't know whats what
well
they separately agree that that is wrong that everyone can't be right >today<
maybe tomorrow after its talked about some more

in the hall ...

did you feel the earth move?
no, but definitely: the winds have changed
whuat? climate change is BUNK!
No! that's "global warming" I'm talking about evacuations ongoing ..
Evacuations? ain't that spelled Migration?
No NOT boarder control, rent for vendors is next week
Pffft! next week indeed ... its a holiday weekend and no-one will be "at work"
Ha! "work" my dogs bad breath works harder, harder by a factor of 7
Which faction of Seven are you dreaming about, don't you mean the Ecks vs. Sever at the harrower?
Oh yeah, she was HOT!
No that's Atlantic, it is seven faction venders in Maginicia that were evacuated from fel
No, the migration has been "on" since the Fifth and taxes are needed to mitigate the cost
thilly, they're supposed to >evacuate< the coast because of the hurricane, not migrate to the coast
Oh man, My House fell !!1!1!
Migration or earthquake? either way it is your fault for choosing to play in Fel

In the hall ... in the Uhall ...
many different echoes in the hallowed halls of the UOhall of harrow'd hunters of the Harrower
*ding dong*
FINALLY ... Tax free Pizza!

costaDaPizza! :danceb: astalawinabago! (see you at the mobile home)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What Is Taxed? California's SUT is imposed on the retail price of tangible personal property sold to final purchasers (unless specifically exempt). It does not apply to either real property (for example, houses) or intangible personal property (such as stocks or items sold in digital form). Services are also generally exempt from direct SUT taxation, although they can be indirectly taxed to the extent that their value is incorporated into the final value of the tangible products they help produce. The SUT is typically collected and remitted by sellers to the administering state agency—the California State Board of Equalization (BOE). When collecting the SUT, sellers generally apply the tax rate in effect where the transaction occurs.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, supposedly the billing information is the one thing that was not going to transfer over.
If you have recurring payment set up on active accounts, then you'll still need to get in there and enter new billing information.
supposedly ? where did you read that? Herald?
Only thing I saw on recurring was that if you were set to bill during the period from August 5th, through the time in which we enable the account center, you will be charged. Nothing about having to go in and do anything, as in do nothing unless you can't log in to the game, then do the contact CS thing.
I think that statement was based upon the emails that were being sent out and upon what CS was telling some players and they were posting.

Then it was posted on the UOHerald that those emails were sent out inadvertently. Hell I can't even remember or find now where I'd read that.

Too much information to manage sometimes. LOL.

L

LadySteele

I checked my bank account tonight to find that EA had charged me $14.40 instead of $12.99. First, I did not authorize EA to remove $14.40 from my bank account, I authorized $12.99. I checked the "Help" page to find out why I was being charged the additional amount, assumed tax, only to get the same page that states it had been removed or deleted.

So I went to the Account Management page at accounts.eamythic.com to link the accounts to see what the deal was, I did successfully link the accounts however, EA is telling me that I have no subscription to Ulitma Online. So I went to contact EA about this issue via their email link, only to get a blank page that would never load.

I was able however, to log in at the account.ea.com website, and my billing states $12.99 USD. But again, the new website at accounts.eamythic.com does not show the accounts linked.

So decided to cancel my account via the account.ea.com website. I clicked on the "Cancel Subscription" which took me right back to the accounts.eamythic.com page, that shows that I don't have any linked account.

I then decided to contact customer service via the support.ea.com link in chat and was connected to an agent in about three minutes. I asked why the accounts were not linked, in addition to why I was being charged $14.40 when I only agreed to $12.99. The reply? "You have been re-queued" "You are currently number 18 in the queue. You should be connected to an advisor in about 29 minutes..."

So I emailed EA customer support to cancel the account. First I didn't authorize $14.40 and secondly, I'm tired of this spaghetti run-around to do something that should be terribly simple. Oh wait.. Mythic, UO and EA.... what am I thinking.

And if they don't cancel the account, and the charge shows up on next month's bill, I'll just dispute the transaction at the bank. Just tired of all this BS.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I checked my bank account tonight to find that EA had charged me $14.40 instead of $12.99. First, I did not authorize EA to remove $14.40 from my bank account, I authorized $12.99. I checked the "Help" page to find out why I was being charged the additional amount, assumed tax, only to get the same page that states it had been removed or deleted.

So I went to the Account Management page at accounts.eamythic.com to link the accounts to see what the deal was, I did successfully link the accounts however, EA is telling me that I have no subscription to Ulitma Online. So I went to contact EA about this issue via their email link, only to get a blank page that would never load.

I was able however, to log in at the account.ea.com website, and my billing states $12.99 USD. But again, the new website at accounts.eamythic.com does not show the accounts linked.

So decided to cancel my account via the account.ea.com website. I clicked on the "Cancel Subscription" which took me right back to the accounts.eamythic.com page, that shows that I don't have any linked account.

I then decided to contact customer service via the support.ea.com link in chat and was connected to an agent in about three minutes. I asked why the accounts were not linked, in addition to why I was being charged $14.40 when I only agreed to $12.99. The reply? "You have been re-queued" "You are currently number 18 in the queue. You should be connected to an advisor in about 29 minutes..."

So I emailed EA customer support to cancel the account. First I didn't authorize $14.40 and secondly, I'm tired of this spaghetti run-around to do something that should be terribly simple. Oh wait.. Mythic, UO and EA.... what am I thinking.

And if they don't cancel the account, and the charge shows up on next month's bill, I'll just dispute the transaction at the bank. Just tired of all this BS.
Yeah, that's called tax. The payment you agree upon never includes tax in the price.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
We have a system called VAT (Value added Tax) and pretty much everything has it included in the price... and it tells you when it is or isn't.. in this case as my pics above it clearly says the £9.99 is VAT inclusive... and then adds an extra Tax...

this is actually illegal in the UK to double tax something (so I believe)

the only people 'allowed' to do it in the UK is the Government.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have a system called VAT (Value added Tax) and pretty much everything has it included in the price... and it tells you when it is or isn't.. in this case as my pics above it clearly says the £9.99 is VAT inclusive... and then adds an extra Tax...

this is actually illegal in the UK to double tax something (so I believe)

the only people 'allowed' to do it in the UK is the Government.
Yeah, it would appear even our tax is being taxed. That will probably give our destitute Western governments some ideas.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, that's called tax. The payment you agree upon never includes tax in the price.
Does in the UK
Lucky for you then
How is it lucky for us? Becasuse VAT (Value Added Tax) is already added at 17.5%, the price is higher than it would be without tax.

The insult is that we are then getting taxed again by EA whilst already paying £9.99 including VAt. With the EA tax on top of that it equates to ove $19 per UO account.

The money isnt really a big issue. $19 is pocket change to me. I work for the TAx office in England and if a company over here tried this they would get slaughtered by the authorities. EA in America seem to be able to do what the hell they want.

On principle my account is being cancelled. Maybe F2P is after all the way forward. It is a crime that they charge for a game A) As old as this and B) as badly run as this with zero customer service.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does in the UK
Lucky for you then
How is it lucky for us? Becasuse VAT (Value Added Tax) is already added at 17.5%, the price is higher than it would be without tax.
You'd find the answer to "How it's lucky for you" in the statements you quoted. I mentioned that tax is never included in the payment you agree upon. Rupert said it does in the UK. Sounds pretty nice to me if tax in included in the price you first see as opposed to having it sneaked in at payment.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'd find the answer to "How it's lucky for you" in the statements you quoted. I mentioned that tax is never included in the payment you agree upon. Rupert said it does in the UK. Sounds pretty nice to me if tax in included in the price you first see as opposed to having it sneaked in at payment.
Makes no difference either way. The item still costs the exact same amount whether you include the tax in the sale price or add it afterwards. If you live in a country where sales tax is included then you know the price. If you live in a country where its added afterwards you know this as well, therefore you know the price. No difference.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Makes no difference either way. The item still costs the exact same amount whether you include the tax in the sale price or add it afterwards. If you live in a country where sales tax is included then you know the price. If you live in a country where its added afterwards you know this as well, therefore you know the price. No difference.
Makes all the difference to the people who don't give a single thought to tax. See them all the time getting outraged when they reach the register or see their bill online. Especially for electronic purchases where people don't think it will get taxed. For a huge example, all the people here on stratics complaining about getting taxed for their subscription.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Makes all the difference to the people who don't give a single thought to tax. See them all the time getting outraged when they reach the register or see their bill online. Especially for electronic purchases where people don't think it will get taxed. For a huge example, all the people here on stratics complaining about getting taxed for their subscription.
I dont see anyone on here complaining about being taxed on their subscription. What people are complaining about is being taxed INCORRECTLY on their subscription. Im happy to pay my dues, as are most people (whilst they may not like it they realise that taxation is a necessity). What people are objecting to is paying Tax that they do not legally owe, or is above the rate at which they are legally required to pay. Big difference.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont see anyone on here complaining about being taxed on their subscription. What people are complaining about is being taxed INCORRECTLY on their subscription. Im happy to pay my dues, as are most people (whilst they may not like it they realise that taxation is a necessity). What people are objecting to is paying Tax that they do not legally owe, or is above the rate at which they are legally required to pay. Big difference.
Then we're reading totally different things here, lol. In fact the very first number of posts in this thread seem to be from people who seem surprised to see taxes on their subscriptions. Perhaps complaining isn't an accurate word for everyone, but I've seen a number of them who are. Not sure why you're arguing over it. Have fun with that though, I'm not going to bother, posters in several threads speak for themselves.

P

puzzleagent

Then we're reading totally different things here, lol. In fact the very first number of posts seem to be from people who seem surprised to see taxes on their subscriptions. Perhaps complaining isn't an accurate word for everyone, but I've seen a number of them. Not sure why you're arguing over that though. Have fun with that though, I'm not going to bother, posts in several threads speak for themselves.
Don't worry, I understood what you were trying to say.
I would be confused a lot if we had it the same as over there, it'd suck so bad to learn that I actually paid more than I first thought I'd..

oh and btw, it shows 0 tax for me as well when reactivating. I hope I wont see it added on the bill when I recieve it tho..