• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Now stealth and stealing!

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I gm'd begging and I'm moving on to another character; my thief! I got my stealing up to 112 with items, but I really need to work on my hiding and stealth. What's the best way to train both? And, also stealing where to go at real skill 72. I've read a few posts on here and will probably put ninjitsu on this character, but how do I get around? I feel like I need some magery, right because chiv feels wrong any advice would be very appreciative! :)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So I gm'd begging and I'm moving on to another character; my thief! I got my stealing up to 112 with items, but I really need to work on my hiding and stealth. What's the best way to train both? And, also stealing where to go at real skill 72. I've read a few posts on here and will probably put ninjitsu on this character, but how do I get around? I feel like I need some magery, right because chiv feels wrong any advice would be very appreciative! :)
For stealing, the standard method is to use an item that is 1/10 the weight of your skill. For example, at 70 skill steal items that weigh 7 stones. At 80, 8 stone, and so on. The method isn't perfect but it will absolutely bring you to 120.

You absolutely want ninjitsu. There is no question about it, especially on production shards. You need shadow jump. It is almost impossible to steal from another character without it.

For getting around, you can use a runic atlas and recall scrolls. There is no need for magery if that is all you are doing with it. On that note, I advise you to not rely on recall too much. People in Fel generally don't want to be found. They are not in the locations you mark. I advise you to take the long way when possible. "Learn to use thy feet," is often what we say. Of course you still want a good runic atlas for when you know there are players at a spawn or something, but I advise you to mark runes a good distance away so nobody sees you recall in.

And yes, people put chivalry on thieves. It is an abomination.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I almost forgot your question about training hiding and stealth. This thread covers it all.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stealthing around the world and dungeons "by thy feet" has brought me into places I would have never seen otherwise. Like that one time I sneaked into fel dungeon just to find myself in the middle of a huge 10v10 or something PvP fight. Almost s my pants when they by accident EQ'ed me out of stealth after a while lol. Or those solo t-hunters going for the fel luck bonus :D

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Stealthing around the world and dungeons "by thy feet" has brought me into places I would have never seen otherwise. Like that one time I sneaked into fel dungeon just to find myself in the middle of a huge 10v10 or something PvP fight. Almost s my pants when they by accident EQ'ed me out of stealth after a while lol. Or those solo t-hunters going for the fel luck bonus :D
It is amazing the things you will see in Fel when you are stealthing around. PvP battles in the middle of nowhere, people doing content you didn't think anyone did anymore, one time I saw a couple of people role-playing some kind of scene in the middle of a forest. Usually it's just people running spawns in dungeons or T-hunters but every once in a while, you see something strange. It's amazing what people do when they don't think anyone is watching.

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's so awesome! Thanks for sharing the adventures. I'll check out that post and probably just go with the runebooks!

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I forgot to ask, do I have to do the stealing in fel or can I do it in my house?

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many years ago there was a trick to raising stealing. I have no idea if it still works but I dont see why it wouldn't. Put an item of the proper weight on a packy for gains. Once you get a gain off of a specific item, place that item you gained from back on the packy. If you get a second gain from the item keep the process going. If that works I would definately eat a scroll of alacrity

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Many years ago there was a trick to raising stealing. I have no idea if it still works but I dont see why it wouldn't. Put an item of the proper weight on a packy for gains. Once you get a gain off of a specific item, place that item you gained from back on the packy. If you get a second gain from the item keep the process going. If that works I would definately eat a scroll of alacrity
Isnt this related to the weight of an item, if it's sufficiently hard you have higher chance of gain?
So if you keep training on it until your skill is too high, you should switch to some different item.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Isnt this related to the weight of an item, if it's sufficiently hard you have higher chance of gain?
Yeah. Pretty much. That's why the skill/10 method works well. I think it could probably be done faster with a crystal ball of knowledge but it's pretty easy to do with a simple macro and an organizer agent so skill/10 works good enough. I've done it that way at least half a dozen times myself.