• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Now or Then?

G

This is just a curiosity i have often wondered, if you had your choice, which would you choose?

1. UO Now, the way it is, no changes to or from anything.

2. 1998 ish uo, pre-tram

3. 2000 UO post tram/ T2A

4. Aos and back

5. Tokuno and back

6. ML and back

Please post which you choose and why?

T

Tazar

For me? Each in it's own time with more evolution into the future!

S

stevensnr6

Though, I could do without Tokuno Facet though (and Fel
).

Your poll should include AoS Era and Back, Tokuno Era and Back and ML and Back. If we had those choices...I would have to go with AoS Era and back.

Peace.

G

I suppose i would have to go with AoS/Pub 16 and back, i loved the pvp then, it brought out the inginuety of people, and people didnt have to have all the best to compete, just experience, i also think there was much more life to the game then. i dont know how to define what i mean by more life...

P

pacific lily

Don't worry, I gave you full credit for this week's unofficial "wouldn't it be awesome if it was still 1998" post!

lily

G

it is amazing how often people choose to toss in those type comments here, almost like it is the way they like it, and no one elses opinion matters.... this was not a post asking for that, this was a post asking opinions, but please, dont let me tamper with your rainbow....

C

cjc2797x

Pre-carebear for sure. But then again, that's why I'm playing on a free shard now adays and paying for production UO because I'm in the habit of keeping my 8 plus years of crap I collected.

Imo, UO was destroyed by lowering the rating from mature to teen and rewarding the ppl that whined the loadest until the game became a shadow of its former self. There's just no risk anymore.

C

Cybrdragon

<blockquote><hr>

I suppose i would have to go with AoS/Pub 16 and back, i loved the pvp then, it brought out the inginuety of people, and people didnt have to have all the best to compete, just experience, i also think there was much more life to the game then. i dont know how to define what i mean by more life...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, me, but without AOS. Anything pre-AOS would be fine for me.

G

2-6 all had some good points of their own
But I would have to say 1 because now is all there is
And the future is right after now

G

I became bored with each and every one. The UO I want is one that we havn't seen yet. One that gives major updates every year with worthwhile content and bug fixes. UO in any year other than the present would bore the hell outta me after a month.

Like another poster said. This really is just another nostaligic gimme a pre blah blah shard thread. Like we need another one. Online games have to develop and advance to continue. They can't remain the same or they will die.

G

thank you for the posters that just answered the curiosity i had, and please, lets do without assuming the posters origional intentions, i have posted before that i would like a pre-16 shard, or atleast a shard that isnt so , as others have phrased it, care-bearish. this isnt it, please keep that arguement elsewhere

G

Right now is fun for the new stuff, but I would also like a pre-LBR shard for PVP.

I

imported_Sarphus

I'd take it as it is now. I enjoyed early UO, but I'd get bored with it... there's a lot more to do now than there was then. When I'm feeling nostalgic, though, I play on Siege.

R

Razeial

2-1998 ish uo, pre-tram

This was the most fun i ever had while playing this game. It actually took skill to kill another player, and some monester (which are a cakewalk now) Mage skill was appreciated, thieves were hunted ruthlessly (althought extremely fun to play) and pvp was at its prime.

R

Rykus

I could be more specific or picky, but anything pre-AoS is what I prefer.

I also agree with those who support a "to each his own" policy. I don't flame or bash people who like AoS, have enough respect to reciprocate if you're on the other side of the fence. ...unless of course you just prefer being an ass to someone over being civil and respectful.

K

Karthcove

You put too many restrictions on what I could choose.

1. I like the now because housing isn't the as hard to get, more land to venture off in.
2. I liked pre-AOS because the economy was much more sound.

IMO, the biggest mistakes made -

1. BoS - should never have existed.
2. Insurance - should never have existed.
3. Bounty system and stat loss should never have been removed (tweaked yes, but not removed)
4. Seers no longer in game creating havoc on occasion

I

imported_Heartseeker

"2".

Pre-Tram would be great.

If they did that we would have many players return.

K

Kat SP

Anything prior to AoS. Personally, I liked the time just after publish 16. Good times!

I

imported_Cyrah

Reverted back to before the king of RG wannabees got his way.

Actually that will happen when the old Tx saying of money talks and bs walks comes due. The problem is the damage he left behind. As in missing devs

So as for a time frame ok, before the move to Virginia.

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

Anything prior to AoS. Personally, I liked the time just after publish 16. Good times!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, actually. The trammies had Trammel, the feluccans had champ spawns to fight over, tamers weren't going around with 12 dragons anymore, and there was still a player economy. I miss going up to the public forge in Britain and negotiating the price of a shadow iron heavy archer suit, instead of all this stupid resist-calculating spreadsheet AoS crap.

G

Much as I love some of the new content, I'd dump them all to go back to before tram

Wenchy

P

pacific lily

<blockquote><hr>

it is amazing how often people choose to toss in those type comments here, almost like it is the way they like it, and no one elses opinion matters.... this was not a post asking for that, this was a post asking opinions, but please, dont let me tamper with your rainbow....

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is looking for the rainbow??? me?? ROTFL

No, I just live in the real world where people don't change everything to suit me just because I whine continually for them to do so. You can disguise it however you want, you're just fishing for a bunch of people to yell out RETRO SHARD so you can offer up another niblet of "evidence" that it is needed to the dev team.

Lily

I

imported_infiniti

I first subscribed in 2001 and after a year I was ready to quit, it was only after a friend got me into the whole RP war scene that I stayed, so I guess that really wasnt part of the game mechanics, but player created.

So for me, definatly now, theres lots more to do than just save gold to buy that fruit basket or something just as silly.

Games evolve, people rarely do.

G

2. 1998 ish uo, pre-tram

i started playing janurary 01 after tram came out but i've heard how much fun it was with only fell, no where for the people to fun for safe haven thats awesome! years before insurance, had to hold your house key on you and there were no lockdowns so if u died they could take your key and loot your house, that alone makes it worth playing, i've always been a pvper and i used to love running around naked with a weapon being able to kill people, u could also have multiple houses per account then and the bounty system was still in effect even though it was when i played but that system was awesome, oh just an fyi t2a came out before tram. t2a = second age, tram = renaissance

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO = now. I like most the expansions and add ons they've done. With the exception of some of the nerfs over the years.

Stratics = THEN.

Back before the official UO forums shut down, and this was a small community of nice people. Then a billion Uhall warriors with their mouth breathing showed up.

nerf mouth breathers.

G

5. Because I like Tokuno. However, I hate many of the changes with AOS, yet I like house customization so I would want to keep that regardless. I would have to pick and choose the elements I enjoy and toss the rest. I REALLY hate ML forward.

I

imported_Sip-n-Shine

Pre Pub 16. It was the best time of Uo for me. The dev team could have still published new content without going in the direction that they did.

The old weapon/armor system was the best. An magic resist was a good thing to have instead of items. An of course magic reflect an reactive armor. Oh the good ol days.. *Drifts off to Dream*

G

Thank you for your comments, this is a good view, i was curios if i am remembering right, when you use to go to moongates, at first, werent they sending you to random places by timing or something?

M

MysticLlamaFTW

They sent you to a different city, based on the position of the moons, or something like that.

I

imported_Prince Erik

You let us know your intent by using the phrase "care-bear" but I'll reply anyway.

Personally my favorite time was right after pub 16 came out.

-P.E.

G

Id say anything PRE PUB 16. Powerscrolls, artifacts, and item based combat made this game weak.

G

Old features I miss:

Old text font
No item stats/boxes of info
Old speech font
Manual looting of corpses
Looting bones in Trammel
Taming 10+ dragons at once
GM armour and weapons were useful
Weapons and Armour were rated from Ruin to Vanquishing, Guarding to Invulnerability. Easier to know what was good and not.
Valorite was just for show, but people wanted it.
Magic casting monsters scared me.
Smiths hung out at the forge
Virtue weapons and their rarity
Houses were all pre-defined and decoration was more innovative
Item ID was useful
Armour rating
Mace fighting bashing armour to pieces
Looting was exciting
1 Million GP was a LOT
Needing recall scrolls
Having to eat
Magic resist actually making you resist spells
Daemon bone, ranger armour and glacial staves were "cool"
Glacial staves could use the power words "An ex del" "in corp del" and "des corp del"
GMs showed up
GMs had cool stuff
Counsellors, Seers, Elders, Ancients, Companions
Haven was for new players
No quests
Fel stones were useful
Liches and skeletons had backpacks
Crystal Balls spawned
Hanging out at Brit forge was common
East Brit bank had people
Brit moongate being used for PvP, not Yew
Being able to go in and out of warmode to look like you were running on the spot
IGM Talos
Neon hair being something unusual
Dex penalty for armour
Standard, regular armour sets (platemail, studded) being used by players
Treasure maps below level 3 worth bothering with
Provoking in T2A desert on the ophidian ledge
Ridgebacks as yellow ostards, Unicorns as white horses, scales as fried eggs
Old fancy dress graphic
Old stat bar
The useless mail box on your paperdoll
Running between towns
Stratics, pre user-purge (2002, I think, and 2004)
Little secure gold boxes in houses
Clothing being able to be destroyed and armslore telling you the condition
PvPers looking like transvestite farmer-chefs, wearing skirts, half aprons, sandals, doublets and straw hats.

I

imported_Green Destiny

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

Now, because I don't believe in looking backward.

I believe in learning from the past, not repeating it.

Also....People only forget how badly the past sucked because it is the past. When it was the present? It sucked.

-Galen's player

G

<blockquote><hr>

People only forget how badly the past sucked because it is the past

[/ QUOTE ]

The past had, customer service, Seers, great pvp, great rp, lore based on the ultima series, lord british, factions, chaos/order, crafters that were actually worth something, and so on....

that was all in the past, now we have an empty shell of that. They should look at the past, find what worked well and re-introduce it. Im not saying they should scrap the item based world we now have,cause that wouldnt be wise, but they could at least have some serious customer service and Seers. Just my opinion though.

D

Der Rock

i would like to see the removing from fell completly and then faction and guild and party wars should be possible everywhere.
that would give the game much more freedom between the fell-lady´s and the tram´s.
reds can go everywhere and participate on each event,but batles between reds and blues only possible in faction or guildwars, or party against party,

and as i read the signs we get slowly from the dev´s, i bet we get something like that.
proof me on this, in 12+/- month we have something like that.

G

i would not be surprised at all if they did that, after all, look at the views they get.... the people here that are the moderators, and admins, and all that are the ones that were spending time here instead of in game, same as all the other forums, and those are now the moderating voices of the boards, and those are the voices ea hears, which is why when there is an opposing view, such as changing some of the modifications pub 16 made, they delete the thread or lock it.... ea needs to figure out a way to get a full opinion of things it cant be at a place such as these or other forums that can be modified, nor can it be a one sided place such as any guild places, the only way to get it would be an in game survey, but there still would be a lack of responses due to the things people are allready in the habit of closing, and then, one side or the other is still not going to be happy....... but just to say, if they ever did remove fel, there would be quite a few people, including myself, that would strongly consider an alternative to ea's UO... and if you were to take a good look at fel, instead of following with the steriotypes, it isnt bad, there are people that make it bad, but in tram, it is even worse, because the people that are there that cause problems cannot be dealt with, unlike fel.... and that is why so many of the trash talkers crowd there.... which has also bred the people with such an extended vocabulary and that have mastered the talking trash without repercussions, such as stigmatas...

G

If i remember right i liked UO wery much under and before P15. I think it was P16 who had powerscrolls.
The only thing was the runics that i dident like. I always was a fan of 7*Gm chars

G

<blockquote><hr>

i would not be surprised at all if they did that, after all, look at the views they get.... the people here that are the moderators, and admins, and all that are the ones that were spending time here instead of in game, same as all the other forums, and those are now the moderating voices of the boards, and those are the voices ea hears, which is why when there is an opposing view, such as changing some of the modifications pub 16 made, they delete the thread or lock it.... ea needs to figure out a way to get a full opinion of things it cant be at a place such as these or other forums that can be modified, nor can it be a one sided place such as any guild places, the only way to get it would be an in game survey, but there still would be a lack of responses due to the things people are allready in the habit of closing, and then, one side or the other is still not going to be happy....... but just to say, if they ever did remove fel, there would be quite a few people, including myself, that would strongly consider an alternative to ea's UO... and if you were to take a good look at fel, instead of following with the steriotypes, it isnt bad, there are people that make it bad, but in tram, it is even worse, because the people that are there that cause problems cannot be dealt with, unlike fel.... and that is why so many of the trash talkers crowd there.... which has also bred the people with such an extended vocabulary and that have mastered the talking trash without repercussions, such as stigmatas...

[/ QUOTE ]

Newsflash: EA does *tons* of gamer surveys. They show up in Bay Area Craigslist all the time. $50 for an hour of your time blahblahblah...

These boards are not all the input they get, just so y'all know...Jeremy would probably back me on this, if she caught the thread/post

G

Does anyone remember the faction wars inside brit?

Remember the brit healer, rofl...

Y

Yewish News

<blockquote><hr>

Old speech font

[/ QUOTE ]

You realise you can change it in the options?