• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Now I see why tamers are getting a bad rap.

P

packrat

I was on my bard in Cove minding my own business. I had a vanguard peaced and a couple of wisp provo on him. Here comes a tamer with a bard on her side. He peaces himself. The two wisp on him stops the battle and the tamer attacks the vanquard with her dog and both of them begin a barrage of spells on the vanguard. By the time I am able to provo the wisp back on him, he is dead. The tamer lores the dread and say"nah its not good" and proceed to kill it. They didn't seem to care if someone else wanted it. I guess they have that right.
So I recall to Papau. I peace the vanguard before I had a chance to do anything else, the tamer and her bard recall in and just unload on the vanguard and did the same thing to that dread.
I go into town and there are two vanguards. I lore one away so they have their own and I have one. It takes them about a minute to kill theirs. Here they come and start the barrage of spells on the one I was working on. Then they do the same thing to the dread. Lore it and kill it.
Don't get me wrong. They did nothing illegal. But then there is something called respect that tamers seem to ignore when they want a tank new creature. Its all about them and no one else.
It gives the tamers that respect others a very bad name. I have two tamers and it gets me upset to see another tamer act that way. Almost makes me not want to use them for a while.
Since this happened I have seen them do this over and over again.
This tamer has been playing for a long time and she use to be a respectable player. I have lost all respect for her and her partner. I will never let her tame another horse as long as I am around.
When I first started seeing "tamer bashing" I thought it was some griefer that complains all the time. Well I am bashing this one for sure.

R

Revenant2

Indeed, in the end, it's about the person behind the char, not the char they chose to fire up that day.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Besides acting like jerks (which is more the person sitting at the keyboard than the actual char)

The reason tamers get a bad rap, along with archers, is they are 2 of the more powerful skillsets in the game, but they are also the easiest to play. It's completely arse backwards of the way it should be.

The way it should be is;

Easier char to play = Less powerful
Harder char to play = More powerful

That's why those 2 professions are looked down upon.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Taming may seem easy to play but not always...... Besides.... taming is one of the worst skills to gain in..... VERY hard to build up a good tamer..... Unless you cheat and use the advanced character option throw on jewels and never tame a thing for yourself.

L

Lady Tiger

oh come now all tamers aren't that way...there are just some jerks out there that do stuff like that. I risk my tamers life for others to tame those stupid horses. It's not the tamer it's the person behind it

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to see that some people still think UO is a single player game...

But gladly i can say not all of us are like that.

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So mods, when are we going to get a "Rant" section to these new boards?
thread #1 is here, waiting....

Mark Trail

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to disagree about the tamer being easy to play.

I am a bard-tamer. I have to disco the monster, "all kill" it, peace it, run in to bandage my pet, run out to heal myself, peace again, cast "greater heal" on my pet. It adds up to pressing keys as fast as I can in battle. And I die as much as a warrior against magic using monsters.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to disagree about the tamer being easy to play.
I am a bard-tamer. I have to disco the monster, "all kill" it, peace it, run in to bandage my pet, run out to heal myself, peace again, cast "greater heal" on my pet.
1. Use Skill/Discord
2. Say "All Kill"
3. Use Skill/Peace Making
4. Apply Bandage to Pet
5. Cast Spell/Greater Heal

Wow....... 5 buttons to push. Thanks you really just re-enforced exactly what I said.

B

Blade_Thugluv

1. Use Skill/Discord
2. Say "All Kill"
3. Use Skill/Peace Making
4. Apply Bandage to Pet
5. Cast Spell/Greater Heal

Wow....... 5 buttons to push. Thanks you really just re-enforced exactly what I said.
Dexxer:

1: Point Click
2: Click bleed
3: click disarm
4: Use bandaid

enough said...

~Blade

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dexxer:

1: Point Click
2: Click bleed
3: click disarm
4: Use bandaid
Does anyone play a straight dexxer with no Post AoS skills anymore?

Not really.... Necro Dexxer, Chiv Dexxer, Ninja Dexxer. All of which require you to cast spells. Also most dexxers carry multiple weapons, which requires even more buttons to press. Throw in pots, there's more buttons.

Plus you're overlooking the fact that tamers (along with archers) are both ranged chars, which means the amount of damage a melee dexxer has to endure is far greater than the tamer or archer, thus making it more of a challenge to play.

It's ok though, I expected a bunch of low skill people to come on here and defend their overpowered chars.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone play a straight dexxer with no Post AoS skills anymore?

Not really.... Necro Dexxer, Chiv Dexxer, Ninja Dexxer. All of which require you to cast spells. Also most dexxers carry multiple weapons, which requires even more buttons to press. Throw in pots, there's more buttons.

Plus you're overlooking the fact that tamers (along with archers) are both ranged chars, which means the amount of damage a melee dexxer has to endure is far greater than the tamer or archer, thus making it more of a challenge to play.

It's ok though, I expected a bunch of low skill people to come on here and defend their overpowered chars.

OK....

Post AoS dexxer:

1) Enemy of One
2) (Strangle) if Necro
3) Consecrate Weapon
4) (Lighning Strike) if Sammy
5) Weapon Special
6) Bandage Self

A maximum of 6 buttons to press, and any decently equipped paladin can kill any non-named monster using only 1), 3), 5) & 6)

If you choose to play a "pure" dexxer, without any of the buffing abilies which are available, please don't point snide remarks at those players who have made the decision to embrace what is currently available.
Luddite behaviour, whilst possibly admirable in some ways, is not a reason to offer criticism at those who have adapted.

PvM Mage:

1) Paralyse
2) EV (or appropriate summon)
3) All Kill (if necessary)
4) Invisibility

Either 3 or 4 buttons, depending on the circumstances.

What exactly was your "low skill people" remark referring to??

:confused:

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A tamer who needs a bard isn't a tamer, just some lazy slug behind a keyboard. I have used very cunning tactics to solo tame, it just takes thinking and tactics, skills some people lack.

My tamer isn't one of those super uber goober tamers, plain old part mage/part tamer. It took a long time to get this char. to where it is today. I didn't gimp out and buy an advanced char. token.....that's for bottom feeders.

My archer, another one that took forever to go legendary from 0.0.....and, talk about easy to play, at any given time I have to switch from at least one of four bows, with the current event.

There's some real buttheads out there that have no consideration, nor respect and deserve a real life beating.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Post AoS dexxer:

1) Enemy of One
2) (Strangle) if Necro
3) Consecrate Weapon
4) (Lighning Strike) if Sammy
5) Weapon Special
6) Bandage Self
Your simplistic view of playing a warrior aside. You're forgetting about the fact that a melee dexxer has to stand right next to their target and absorb a ton more damage than a tamer or archer who stands at range.

If you choose to play a "pure" dexxer, without any of the buffing abilies which are available, please don't point snide remarks at those players who have made the decision to embrace what is currently available. Luddite behaviour, whilst possibly admirable in some ways, is not a reason to offer criticism at those who have adapted.
Who are you even talking to??

PvM Mage:

1) Paralyse
2) EV (or appropriate summon)
3) All Kill (if necessary)
4) Invisibility
Please, now you're just making up BS to defend your point. A competent mage would be using upwards of a dozen spells even in PvM. Not to mention they have no where near the tanking ability or damage output of a tamer. Plus the mage's damage output is limited to his mana pool. The tamers damage is only limited by whether or not the pet is alive or not. The archer is only limited by the number of arrows in his quiver.

What exactly was your "low skill people" remark referring to??
Apparently people such as yourself who think hitting "all kill" and a couple barding buttons is considering skillful.

L

Lord Kynd

no one forces a dexer to use any spells.
all you need is your weapon of choice and a handfull of bandaids, click on target and hit bandages self macro... hmm thats hard ????

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was on my bard in Cove minding my own business. I had a vanguard peaced and a couple of wisp provo on him. Here comes a tamer with a bard on her side. He peaces himself. The two wisp on him stops the battle and the tamer attacks the vanquard with her dog and both of them begin a barrage of spells on the vanguard. By the time I am able to provo the wisp back on him, he is dead. The tamer lores the dread and say"nah its not good" and proceed to kill it. They didn't seem to care if someone else wanted it. I guess they have that right.
So I recall to Papau. I peace the vanguard before I had a chance to do anything else, the tamer and her bard recall in and just unload on the vanguard and did the same thing to that dread.
I go into town and there are two vanguards. I lore one away so they have their own and I have one. It takes them about a minute to kill theirs. Here they come and start the barrage of spells on the one I was working on. Then they do the same thing to the dread. Lore it and kill it.
Don't get me wrong. They did nothing illegal. But then there is something called respect that tamers seem to ignore when they want a tank new creature. Its all about them and no one else.
It gives the tamers that respect others a very bad name. I have two tamers and it gets me upset to see another tamer act that way. Almost makes me not want to use them for a while.
Since this happened I have seen them do this over and over again.
This tamer has been playing for a long time and she use to be a respectable player. I have lost all respect for her and her partner. I will never let her tame another horse as long as I am around.
When I first started seeing "tamer bashing" I thought it was some griefer that complains all the time. Well I am bashing this one for sure.
I love playing my tamer/mage. I might of stopped to help you kill it, or just left you alone I wouldn't of stopped you from killing it. You need to see it from a tamers point of view it goes both ways. Im out killing stuff here comes some Mr Warrior starts banging on what Im killing,start trash talking and laughing. Of course I could get mad about it, and later take it out on someone else later in the game by doing what these 2 people did to you, I don't play that way. What I do is ignore them, keep killing the stuff, and will throw a heal on them if I see they might be dieing. Eventually they see they can't get to me get bored, and leave. Now some will show up and ask if they can work skills, and help kill what I'm Killing. I say sure I have no problem with it. I have always played this way for 6 years, and will keep playing this way to UO shuts down. play on your tamers just don't act like you own the spawn your killing. even tho they are not showing you any respect don't stoop to their level is what its all about.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all you need is your weapon of choice and a handfull of bandaids, click on target and hit bandages self macro... hmm thats hard ????
lol easy as that huh?..wow, unbelievable

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But then there is something called respect that tamers seem to ignore? true
All tamers i have seen on atlantic, ALL, when the spawn start, they come, they tame, they leave.

So now, i go, i kill horse, i recall. =)

K

Killian

:wall:

While I agree in some of the original posters comments, being a tamer doesn't make you a annoyance in UO. Though I'm pretty sure he wasn't meaning that.

But anyways, I'll toss my 2gp into this discussion.

Being any character in UO requires skill. Example...some people are great at being a warrior, while some simply can't do that kind of character if their life depended on it. Same for Tamers... Being a type of character doesn't put any label on the person sitting behind the monitor. Maybe they like seeing people get all mad and annoyed.. people are strange... :confused:

I personally like to use my tamer( who is also my main on LS ) purely for shopping and group hunting trips, using my tame as a tank... People who have no respect for others in this game simply ruin things for others around them... Just deal with them the best you can.. I simply go out of my way to make their adventure at that time just as painful as they had just made mine.. :) though in the end.. thats just UO.. you have people whom will care people around them.. and some who really could careless.

Just for the record... I am in no way a great UO player.. and I do Die.. a lot.. :thumbup: lol but, I always do my best to help people around me in the game... even if that's just sitting back and watching them kill monsters while I heal them or their pet up. I feel good for that, and it I'm sure it makes their adventure just a little more enjoyable.

P

packrat

I am on UO to have fun. Not to make anyone miserable or give them grief. I help everyone that needs help. Not all the time but most of the time, when I see a new player I give them armor and usually around 200k to start out.
I never charge to tame pets for someone. I have given all my pets away that I tamed. Sometimes someone will donate which I accept. But never charge.
If I see someone pvm I move on or I ask if they need help. I will never just run in and start killing what they are killing. And if someone needs help and I get the sword/shield or special item, I give it to them. It was their kill. Tamers are already having a hard enough time because they have super dragons. We sure don't need to add more grief and ruin the play style for everyone else. I will agree, the super dragons are tanks. They can usually take on anything. Don't add insult by being rude and just run over people.

N

Nenime

You're absolutely right, packrat. It was very funny to read this a long as everybody takes it a nasty little joke. But don't hurt each other. We are all playing the same game and we all wanna have fun with it.

I play a disco-tamer almost all of the time. When I go the the invasion spot, which I do often, I check the situation first. If no one is around I discord the Controller and my Dragi has a nice snack. But when other people show up I draw their health bar aside and care for them. Dragon tanks the spawn while I discord the Controllers others are working on. Most of the melees are so nice to knock the elementals off and the tamers give them warhorses for free. Frequently we share the loot and give obsidian to those who didn't earn loot rights.

On the other hand yesterday in Cove there was a necro-bard-dexxer which area-peaced all the time. He did all three Controller in a few minutes while all other players were pretty upset about him. He didn't gave a *beep* about that.
See, the template has absolutely nothing to do with the players character. Please don't drive a wedge through this great community. Peace :beer:

V

Vex

OMG. Nobody forces me to use spells, you are correct. HOWEVER, if I want to stay alive, I need to use them. I don't ever use the same sequence of spells, especially in PVP. Without knowing your enemy well, you don't know what they are going to throw at you, so depending on what that is, I have to adjust what buttons I am pushing and when. Monsters are predictable, so learning what they will do and when helps, but there is still alotta button pushing.

My PVM looks something like this - ALT-Z (select nearest mobile, attack selected target), ALT-H (Invoke Virtue/Honor), Enemy of One, Consecrate Weapon, Lightening Strike, Bandie Button, Lightening Strike repeatedly whilst hitting bandie and Confidence buttons to heal while fighting. Oops here comes another monster, F9 Momentum Strike, F8 Evade, Consecrate again, Oops, stamina is low, Divine Fury or Refresh Pot Button, Lightening strike between Momentum Strikes. Oops, I'm damaged, more bandies and Confidence heals. Monster(s) is dead, LOOT. Here comes another -- better get that target macro button ready - oh and the Honor one too. That's alotta button pushing. And that's just fighting PVM with predictable Monsters. PVP takes much more skill.

I'd like to see you stay alive fighting a mid to upper level monster in the manner which you suggest.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am on UO to have fun. Not to make anyone miserable or give them grief. I help everyone that needs help. Not all the time but most of the time, when I see a new player I give them armor and usually around 200k to start out.
I never charge to tame pets for someone. I have given all my pets away that I tamed. Sometimes someone will donate which I accept. But never charge.
If I see someone pvm I move on or I ask if they need help. I will never just run in and start killing what they are killing. And if someone needs help and I get the sword/shield or special item, I give it to them. It was their kill. Tamers are already having a hard enough time because they have super dragons. We sure don't need to add more grief and ruin the play style for everyone else. I will agree, the super dragons are tanks. They can usually take on anything. Don't add insult by being rude and just run over people.

Packrat...the one area that you may want to pursue to help these people, in my opinion, would be to try to talk to them, and explain how their play style negatively impacts others.

They may not know how bad they look, or what a drag it is for other players near them, doing what they do.

They may, and you may not want to invest the time to help them understand, but where there is nothing to lose by trying, and everything to gain if successful, by all means try, I have heard it said.

You may fail, and they may be truly great big jerks...but if you try and fail, at least you have tried.

And if you try, and succeed, you just may find some new people to play with, and help them, at the same time.

It has worked for me, anyways...;)

R

RedDaTeef

All kill= No Skill
All ye tamers are greedy bastages and biatches, just admit it and youll be one step closer to a good person.

L

Limlight

Its pointless Colter.

Tamers or my personal favorite gimp template...Dismount Archer Tamer...are all the worst PvPers...just be glad good PvPers are not playing the tamer...

Like the two Tamer Bushido Dexers from VIP!..now those guys are ridiculous....

Most tamers are garbage and cant play a normal non over-powered template.
They say its not easy to play a tamer....yet if they played a mage in PvP...they get worked so fast its not even funny.

L

Lord Drakelord

We got this little lady fencer on Sonoma that keeps killing the dreads, when we ask her to stop she just keep attacking it. Since its in tram and in a guard Zone little we can do, except move on and try to get the warhorse another day.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
now its funny!

now that about all tamers get many horses,
these days i start to see almost all tamers killing all horses...
nice try to raise the price on them lol

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol Mary i paid 50k the other day and now i feel ripped off at that ...lol!!

Just seen 2 tamers at wbb trying to give em away....no takers they both killed em by 'guards'....This on Europa a pretty full shard....Worthless....

Tis always the same for 'new' events ..the new stuff sells for silly price for first couple of days..because 'the big' players 'must' have it... then two weeks later.. they worth next to nothing...always makes me laugh!!