• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] November Catskills Rares Festival

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We have put our base team together and waiting to hear back from a couple other collectors on Catskills, but if we can vote in this thread to make it official, I'd appreciate it.

I think it only fair that since other shards have thrown their hat in the ring, that it be voted on.

Our team could only host the festival the first weekend in November, other than that, please expect some new events and I believe some great additions from our fantastic EM team.

Thanks for the opportunity!

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to go ahead and vote, since I am confident you will be able to put together a sufficient team for the Catskills Rares Festival.

Catskills has my vote. *casts ballot*

I have two requests while I am at it:

• I would like to ask that there be plenty of vendor spaces available. Chesapeake did an excellent job in that regard. (Way to go Gareth!)
  • The second request is for a coffee machine. A Mr. Coffee will do. Might need more than one. I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't get much sleep during the rares festivals.
Best wishes to the Catskills Team. =)

BlissMarie

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vote cats for November and then Napa after Valentine's Day.

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok you have my support :)

my vote, catskills in november and like the all wise and powerfull manticore napa sometime in february-march

F

Fraggles

ok i suppose i vote Catskills but my next vote is for Lake Superior!!!!

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Athelas approves of Cats.

Athelas [Treasure Trove] Museum, Atlantic

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd vote cats in november And I'd be willing to help out at night.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been offered several Luna plots, but since attending all previous Rares Fests, I believe we are going to go "out of town" for ours.

Luna so laggy :/

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I vote for cats! (though I don't frequent these boards much). :)

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cats would be great! :thumbup1:

However:

Flutter really needs to show her whip skills during some part of the event ;)

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty sure that thread is about something else entirely.
Not entirely. The underlying attitude to those from other shards and rares collectors, in general, shines through.

Certainly I can see the differences. Nevertheless, there is still an attitude problem on the part of some very outspoken Catskills residents.

BlissMarie

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been reading a thread on the Catskills board. I'm not too sure many CatsPeople really want us there.

BlissMarie
~Shunned Rares Collector :p
Looks like two different things, A Rares Festival is different because people are bringing there rares to sell, Mesanna's Event drops lots of rares, which most of the actual players on Catskills will miss out on due to the mass amount of people x-fering to the shard where Mesanna's having her events. I can understand why they don't want people off shard to x-fer just to do her events then x-fer back off and sell them, however, I'm all for it ;)

A Simple solution, disable all X-fers to the next shard before announcing it. =)

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like two different things, A Rares Festival is different because people are bringing there rares to sell, Mesanna's Event drops lots of rares, which most of the actual players on Catskills will miss out on due to the mass amount of people x-fering to the shard where Mesanna's having her events. I can understand why they don't want people off shard to x-fer just to do her events then x-fer back off and sell them, however, I'm all for it ;)

A Simple solution, disable all X-fers to the next shard before announcing it. =)
I suppose this thread is not the place for this discussion, but since we are all here...

There are differences. The two are related though.

A rare's festival is different, because rares collectors transfer in all of the items they are selling, which they got from other shards (whether it was their main shard or not).

How are you going to have one without the other? You can't. You have to have rares collectors in order to have a rares festival. The rares collectors get the items they sell from various places.

The rares festivals are big gatherings that are lots of fun and have all kinds of items being offered. If you were able to limit the ways in which sellers get their items or restrict the types of items, the festivals wouldn't be the same.

Why not accept the visitors and ditch the poor attitude? There are many players in UO who play multiple shards. Most of us are not out to offend anyone or harm any shard. It's not as if we are doing something illegal or immoral. We are playing the game.

BlissMarie

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Bliss I think the point was that people transferred to the shard specifically for the sole purpose of trying to get the Mesanna items, not that anyone dislikes rares traders.

If I transfer to a shard I never play, win a few one of a kind items on that shard, then transfer off, it does take away from the people who actually do play there. That is the case in point, not that there is a general dislike for rares collectors by any fraction of the majority of players.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bliss I think the point was that people transferred to the shard specifically for the sole purpose of trying to get the Mesanna items, not that anyone dislikes rares traders.

If I transfer to a shard I never play, win a few one of a kind items on that shard, then transfer off, it does take away from the people who actually do play there. That is the case in point, not that there is a general dislike for rares collectors by any fraction of the majority of players.
Exactly. Catskills is a very unique community.. Some of our residents are highly passionate about the lore of our shard. We are usually friendly to outsiders, and a large portion of our community will go out of their way to help a new player, or returning vet, or a player transferring from another shard. I myself received a very warm welcome when I joined the community a few years ago.

That thread and the argument within it was not against rares trading, or even visitors to the shard. Their have been many catskills specific items that I have seen traded off to another shard over the years. That was the choice of the owner, and had nothing to do with anyone else.

The argument was mainly to allow us to have the chance to acquire the items first since it is our home shard, and the reason why it was suppose to be hush hush. Because it wasn't.. the event turned out to be a lag fest, and a large amount of the items will never be seen again on Catskills.

Since we are very shard oriented, we felt like we were going to be denied of the opportunity to save that lore of our shard. It has nothing to do with the upcoming rares fest, and I wouldn't be surprised of some private owners sold some of our shard specific items there. Again, at that point its their business as the owner of the item.

So anyways I hope I clarified any doubt you might be having of being welcome to our shard. I am highly HIGHLY excited about the rares fest and plan to participate with it as much as I can. I feel safe in speaking for a large amount of my Catskills friends who also feel the same about it.

Signed,

An outspoken Catskills Resident.