• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

not UO related? Can't copy files over network?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've got two XP machines: One is a Dell from 2007 and the other is an ancient gateway from 2000 that got an OS and drive upgrade.

They've been networked together since the day that the Dell came through the door. I've never had issues prior to now.

1. Recently, the Shared Documents folder and the shared D drive on the older computer went wonky, vis a vis access from the other machine. I could move stuff "there", but they were apparently going into an otherwise empty directory, and no amount of searching could find the moved items on the destination computer , but I could still go through "My Network Places" on the newer computer to that other computer and find the "moved" files - but not see ANY of the real contents of the older computer.

2. After moving everything back, I deleted the old shared folder links, and unshared and re-shared the D drive on the Gateway. However, the Dell, while letting me access that new shared drive, refuses to let me move anything to it, despite my choosing to let other network computers modify the drive contents.

Any idea what's going on, and how to fix? This is sorta how I get around borked up UO patches, and if something's suddenly wrong that wasn't before, I need to know.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can you map the drive instead of using shared folder and make that work ?
are all the computers up to date on OS updates ?
did you turn off soft firewalls for sheets and giggles ?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Here's another way

https://one.ubuntu.com/

You get like 2gb of space for free, upload stuff from one PC download it from the other...and no you don't have to be using Ubuntu....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
can you map the drive instead of using shared folder and make that work ?
are all the computers up to date on OS updates ?
did you turn off soft firewalls for sheets and giggles ?
tried all 3. Eventually, I gave up, and did what I wanted not to have to do - copied my full USB flash drive's contents to a backup folder, erased it, put the files I wanted to transfer on it, then had to wait forever for the USB 1.1 port of the 11 year old destination computer to download the stuff from the USB 2 flash drive onto its HD.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you try pulling the files to the older system rather than pushing them to it?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yeah - wouldn't work either way, though I could see the directories just fine looking from one computer to another.

Now, if I just had some way of transferring (moving, not copying) installed apps from one XP machine to another after an upgrade (and prior to the old machine getting an OS reinstall before giving it away). The software in question had its install CDs go walk-about with a friend, who borrowed my book of late-90s software to try to do a reinstall of the OS on a third friend's PII era machine (I had comparable OS/driver reinstallation CDs in the book, from the same manufacturer, after the other guy's CDs had gone toasty). Said friend moved before I could get my folder back (or we could get the other guy's machine back working- it turned out to be a hardware issue that took months of parts scavenging to fix - gotta love it when someone would rather spend $100 to repair a fossil than spend $300 for a modern machine).