• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Noone wants my money

sseth_uo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
As someone who's close to his 15th UO birthday, let me just say.. wow. No wonder things are dying.
I spent about 2 hours trying to find a way to give those guys my money. My old CC ran out. Not a big deal, right?
Haha! There's no obvious way to remove CC info for starters. Which is - to my knowledge - illegal, as you're not allowed to store folks' billing data permanently - yet I couldn't find a way to erase my billing data. (There's a reason I tried to, btw - my past data was declined, I found no way to remove it and re-entering it was refused because the data "was not unique."). What the...?

Renewing a subscription is a privilege, apparently. After digging through a confusing mess of UO, EA, OSI and whatnot registration, account and verification pages, recovery emails and younameit.. I finally gave in, as my CC apparently wasn't good enough for UO.

You know.. I do work for an online game, have been for over 6 years. But the mess I witnessed here is.. I'm lost for words. It's like UO does not want my money. Why on earth does this game not accept Paypal for starters? Or one of the other online payment methods common throughout the web?

I tried to find a billing FAQ to no avail. I tried PW and account name recovery to no.. well.. some.. avail. I tried to find a direct support contact and was bounced back and forth between UO/OSI/EA pages which contained no real contacts and certainly no helpful info. Or I kept getting redirected to pages which 404ed on me or contained no relevant info. EA sent me to OSI and all of a sudden I was activating a DAOC account, when I just wanted to renew my UO sub. What hell of a mess is this? I've never really played Daoc!
At some point I gave up as I couldn't figure out why my perfectly valid CC kept being declined. It took me yet another 20 minutes of figuring out how to get a game time code and activate it before I could actually pay.

I can only repeat.. I actually only came back to renew my sub, because I'm holding onto my acc for nostalgic reasons. But even that took around 3 hours. Fudge, guys. Get your act together!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it's terrible. I've been having to buy monthly game time codes for almost a year now as it won't accept my cards.

Endal

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I totally agree with the Paypal thing. Most/All of my games that I've played accepted it (The Realm doesn't, but they're older than UO) and it's always very easy to set up. I think what they need to do is to rehaul the account system... but that's not going to happen.

It's a very odd game we live in.

sseth_uo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the link, Petra Fyde, that is quite handy. Guess I was a fool to expect helpful docs in the billing/account system itself. But like I said, I've been inactive for a while and am no longer familiar with the way things work 'round here. Next time I'll just head over here right away, after all that's where the most useful info was to be found on more than one occasion in the past now that I think about it. :)

And thanks for listening to my rant everyone. As you can probably tell I was rather frustrated after this experience.