• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Non Mage T-Hunter?

5% Luck

I have been considering setting up a T hunter but I kind of want to go non mage. That means no invisi. Now I have not had a T hunter in a lot of years and my old tactic was a provoke mage who counted the "dig" animations with a pre cast invisi. Now with lvl 7 spawning 160 barding difficulty mobs that does not seem an effective option.

#1 is precasting invisi still a viable option?

#2 If I dont run magery, will invisibility potions be an effective measure for the initial spawn of even a lvl 7 on all facets.

# are any of you getting away without mining?

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can still Invis. Of course, you will almost immediately be revealed. It will allow you to step away from the Guardians without too much trouble.

Invis potions aren't worth using on the initial dig. I am not saying they are impossible to use, just annoying.

You don't need mining. It is just a time saver.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would miss invis, but could do without. Telekinises is handy for avoiding the trap. I use mass dispel all the time against revenants. The only other use of magery for me is recall and mark, both of which are not really necessary.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, you can still precast.

An alternative to Invisibility, though, is Recall/Sacred Journey.

1. Get a rune near (but several screens away from) the map location (for example, before the new maps, I used a book of all the T-map islands, default set to the island I was on).

2. Precast recall/sacred journey the same way you'd precast invisibility, hover over the rune/book, and as the spawn pops, target the rune.

This will get you safely away from the spawn - some of it will try to chase you to your destination, but since the spawn now is on a tether, they get jerked back to the chest site. Some will keep cycling chest to end of tether and back, and this will actually work in your favor, as you can then start working on the spawn, one or two creatures at a time, instead of standing invisible at the chest, surrounded by ancient wyrms, as you feel a warm wetness go down your leg (hoping that they don't smell it, and reveal you).

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only have wimp chars so I only do maps up to level 5 - level 4 in ter mur but yes, I can do them without mining. In CC this involves using screenshots, but in EC with Pinco's the treasure map exactly matches the radar map so it's pretty easy to find the exact spot.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would miss invis, but could do without. Telekinises is handy for avoiding the trap. I use mass dispel all the time against revenants. The only other use of magery for me is recall and mark, both of which are not really necessary.
I like your list of useful spells for treasure hunting. Here are some options I have used:

Telekinesis can be cast from a scroll (bought at an NPC Mage shop) with high success with human JOAT. You only need one scroll per chest, as it does not get used if you fail.

The Chivalry spell Dispel Evil can also effectively dispel revenants.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Specifically, the chance to cast Telekinesis off scroll as casting a 1st level spell out of a book, and the scroll is only consumed on a success (try as many times as it takes for 1 scroll).

For a human at 0 magery, it's equivalent to casting it at 20 skill, and is about a 77% chance of success.
For other races at 0 magery, it's about a 25% chance.

Note that a human with 0 magery, thanks to JOAT, can cast Blade Spirits from scrolls about 25% of the time, and an elf (or a human looking for a quicker casting) can just throw jewelry and a book on long enough for the same effect. Such a jewelry/book set (40-45 total skill) can be used with Mark scrolls, but you'll fail a bit (but as nothing's lost until success, it's not like you're wasting anything other than 10-30 seconds failing to cast).

And a human has about the same rate of success for Spellweaving's Arcane Circle, Gift of Renewal, and Nature's Fury (but of course the human will have to do the quest, which is actually easier for a weapon user than it is for a pure caster). An Elf at 0, has about a 12% chance.

So, a non-caster (or chiv-user) doesn't have to go without summons (or marking), if they are really dedicated about it.