• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NO Warning server shut downs ATL

whats up with this? every single morning i get up early and play before work, and the server shuts down randomly without fail around 5am, and doesnt come back up until a while. They give no warning that it's shutting down!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
whats up with this? every single morning i get up early and play before work, and the server shuts down randomly without fail around 5am, and doesnt come back up until a while. They give no warning that it's shutting down!
IT's not random... all the servers have a server downtime... Most Northern servers including GLs go down at 5am CST...

Been that way for near 20 years.

They spam a warning in a global message you should see in your journal at about 2 min till..... you just aren't paying attention.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I remember when the ~hour before server down was not backed up. It was a great time to go red or pull some buffoonery.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here's the schedule from the old site, pretty sure times are the same today :)

Scheduled Server Downtimes.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess with Pinco's I always notice it... You can't not notice it as it makes noise going "Huh!" Like someone taking in a deep breath as they walk into icy water... and it puts a big message center screen saying "Server is going Down" or some such... in big red letters.

Now if you use Pinco's and use the EC and you aren't getting that then I can say for sure it isn't happening and we should have the DEVs specifically Bleak and/ or Kyronix look into it.

But I will say often people in the CC don't notice the little warning pop up at the bottom of the screen I believe also in red... and are unaware.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Edited from misreading the chart.
That chart is way out of date, especially since the move to cloud servers.
And, I always thought that the East Coast servers were at 5 AM Eastern, not 6. There was a statement about a decade ago, that they tried to get server maintenance around 5 AM local time when possible.

At least the chart is up to date in regards to the US Central server farm not being listed, which hasn't existed since 2001. That's when they moved the Central Servers to the same servers as Atlantic, etc. outside DC. Some charts I've seen still referred to it (and before I realized the top line was time zones, I thought this was one of them).

Strangely, even 2-3 years after (and some people to this day) insist the server is not only still around, but that Lake Austin is on it (when Lake Austin, from the moment it went live, was in the west coast server farm, and at best might have been on a server in Austin for a couple weeks before going live, undergoing internal testing, before being shipped out to California to be installed). I know that the people who brought me into UO in 2003 (in Kentucky) thought it centrally-located, hence why they left GL & LS to start fresh on LA (and swore up and down they were getting twice-better pings to LA than to the east-coast shards).

Last edited:

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember when the ~hour before server down was not backed up. It was a great time to go red or pull some buffoonery.
Server wars were fun I would go out and murder random people, people throwing their super rare rares on the bank floor lol... Its a shame that went away.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
dropping your house to see if something bigger would fit and not caring about all your stuff being left on the ground.
that was a handy perk.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Heh, curious what happened on the first day that the server stopped having the revert? Hopefully there was an announcement!