• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ninjitsu PvP Mage

T

taglol

So I was thinking of trying some odd template, and came up with this (got 700 skill cap):

120 Magery
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Meditation
120 Ninjitsu
120 Stealth
100 Hiding

Would you say this could work? The 120 stealth and 120 ninjitsu is purerly to start fights with a death strike/shuriken then just unload with big spells. I tried finding info wether you could use a mage weapon or not to use death strike, and saw nothing that said I couldnt.
It feels like it could be a really fun template, but I'm still not sure if I should waste time taking another Ninjitsu to 120. :sad4:

C

Cloak&Dagger

If I am not mistaken it works the same as bushido and you need weapon skill. give it a try on test center? shurikens are a good benefit, also being able to get away after dismount is a plus too. Ninja offers a few things, and there are people who have ninja mage's never seen any with hiding and stealth as well tho.

T

taglol

Did like you said and tried on TC, and it works! Think I'm gonna go ahead and try this template after all, it'll probably be an utter failure, but hey, it can be fun! Main thing thats bugging me is no resist.

T

taglol

As it is right now I'm gonna have 11 mr in my suit, so I guess it could be a good idea to drop meditation to 60 and get 60 necro too for Evil Omen DS's and shurikens.

C

Cloak&Dagger

evil omen with 0 SS lasts for just under 1 second, just so you know. And as long as you have fun doesn't really matter how much of a success it is :p

J

[JD]

i like to hit my bandage before i hit a smoke bomb.

that way under the guise of stealth i am healed, then i can re-engage a partially dead target while i am full life. im sure you can figure out a similar tactic

T

taglol

i like to hit my bandage before i hit a smoke bomb.

that way under the guise of stealth i am healed, then i can re-engage a partially dead target while i am full life. im sure you can figure out a similar tactic
Ah that's clever! Would it work the same with a greater heal? Cast > hit stealth > finish cast, without coming out of stealth?

B

Barl DeAbreago

You'd get revealed, but even so, the momentary hide will have broken their target for at least a second and you would be healed where previously you were not.

As far as death strike is concerned you definitely can, though yes the lack of resist is going to be a problem. I know on my template I fit in in by using 120 ninja/100 hiding/80 stealth and a couple + skill magery items.

The other problem with death striking on a mage is simply the matter of..
You only have so much dex.
You only swing so fast.
Fitting in Hci/Hld to actually get a DS through can be difficult with everything else you already need on a GOOD mage suit, though wiht Imbuing it should be at least a little easier.

I made the template just a while ago myself, though I have not started using it yet. I am looking forward to it though.

T

taglol

The other problem with death striking on a mage is simply the matter of..
You only have so much dex.
You only swing so fast.
Yeah I've considered this too, I will probably get some more dex than usual, and use agility pots at all times. But then again, I most likely will only use DS for opening and every now and then, so swing timer wont affect me so much. And if I miss one with my lacking HCI I can always just leg it, re-hide and try again.

J

[JD]

you could pretty much build a hide attempt into any spellcasting macro, which if you were lucky would break target. however at the same time it would activate the skill timer so you have to be careful as it may prevent you from using other skills or smokebombing

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you cast a spell you can't hide. If you cast a spell and hold a cursor you can't use a smokebomb either. Not only will you lose cursor but you'll get the 'You are busy doing something else' message (or whatever it reads).

You can't even cast a spell and equip an invis item to get the invis and then try to stealth because you'll get that error message when you try to use the stealth skill with a magery cursor up.

I even went as far as casting and having someone invis you and then trying to stealth and still no dice.

My plan was to create a team of stealth mages to precast and sync but it isn't possible :(

T

taglol

If you cast a spell you can't hide. If you cast a spell and hold a cursor you can't use a smokebomb either. Not only will you lose cursor but you'll get the 'You are busy doing something else' message (or whatever it reads).

You can't even cast a spell and equip an invis item to get the invis and then try to stealth because you'll get that error message when you try to use the stealth skill with a magery cursor up.

I even went as far as casting and having someone invis you and then trying to stealth and still no dice.

My plan was to create a team of stealth mages to precast and sync but it isn't possible :(
Bah, that's too bad. :( Did you ever try any template like this out though?
I've only got 20ish hiding left, 120 stealth and ninjitsu is done, then I just got magery skills left. It'll be fun to try out!

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stealth/hide/ninja mages are fun and effective. Just make sure you use a 2s mage wep like a bokuto, dagger, or kryss with 30 ssi. With 30 ssi and 30 stam you can still swing max speed.

Just takes practice to toggle the death strike special between spells.

They are also excellent templates to throw bolas from.