• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ninjitsu and my thief, a question . . .

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I put ninjitsu (66.7 real/96.7 modified) on my thief (completely non-pvp and I do not kill much with her) thinking that it would be beneficial to use smoke bombs for times when my hiding (100 real) failed. But when I tried this I found out that smoke bombs are on the same timer as my hiding/stealing. Even when I fail to hide, which does not start my timer for hiding/other skills, it starts the timer on my smoke bombs and tells me I have to wait. I had people telling me that they always use smoke bombs after stealing/failing to hide. Am I bugged (it would not be the first time that this character was bugged) or are the smoke bombs supposed to be on the same timer like this?

If they are supposed to be on the same timer, other than forms, is there actually benefit to having the ninjitsu on this character?

Any information and help on this is greatly appreciated :)

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Smoke bombs have been changed a few times over the years. They are now definitely on the same timer as hiding. Smoke bombs now simply allow you to hide when you are next to another when you would otherwise need to be several spaces away to use the hiding skill.

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Smoke bombs will also let you hide when a monster or player is aggressing you. They allow you to skip that awful "you can't seem to hide right now" moment.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I put ninjitsu (66.7 real/96.7 modified) on my thief (completely non-pvp and I do not kill much with her) thinking that it would be beneficial to use smoke bombs for times when my hiding (100 real) failed. But when I tried this I found out that smoke bombs are on the same timer as my hiding/stealing. Even when I fail to hide, which does not start my timer for hiding/other skills, it starts the timer on my smoke bombs and tells me I have to wait. I had people telling me that they always use smoke bombs after stealing/failing to hide. Am I bugged (it would not be the first time that this character was bugged) or are the smoke bombs supposed to be on the same timer like this?

If they are supposed to be on the same timer, other than forms, is there actually benefit to having the ninjitsu on this character?

Any information and help on this is greatly appreciated :)
I could never get smoke bombs to be the boon others seemed to find them, I always ran up against the timer from the steal. Needing more thief sklls for Exodus dungeon I dropped Ninjitsu and use magery on an 'invis self' macro followed by hiding as soon as I can while invised. If I've been spotted I run round the nearest corner to cast it. My template is now magery/hiding/stealth/snooping/stealing/detect hidden/lockpick. I use burglar's bandana and shadow dancer's legs which gives me 120 stealth. Stealth at that level gives me a better chance of getting away with a few steps accidentally run.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is normal. The hiding skill has always started the timer on smoke bombs like this. At least, as long as I can remember. In Fel, I've started trying to carry extra smoke bombs and sticking to them, almost exclusively, to get me hidden. Unless, of course, I'm not being attacked.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Invis items will also do it, but those things are like cheat-mode for thieves. I have a big stash of invis rings (the rings allow you to use without equipping) that I refuse to touch.

Also, this isn't entirely relevant to what the OP was talking about, but remember this: In regards to stealing, the skill timer is started when you first activate the stealing skill (pull up the target reticule), not when you make the actual theft. With proper timing, you can run in, make a steal, and hide instantly with hiding or smoke bomb.

Anyway, the shadow strike method that Crowen mentions seems like it would work well for PvM thieves. Monsters tend to be easy to hit. Do any of you dungeon thieves out there use it?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
As Nonel said. The only way to hide right after a theft or a unsuccessful hiding attempt (that I'm aware of) is shadow strike. Requires fencing and a weapon with that special, like a dagger. I use it almost always on my pvp thief.
I like Shadow Strike myself, I have GM fencing on my Thief, now if your target has high enough parry it might be an issue, but there's always the wildlife you can attack. Also remember Line of Sight, and use objects that obscure it to your advantage. Typically after a theft I run and switch to animal form on the fly, this way I'm at mounted speed. If they are chasing I look for houses, Yew Trees, Pillars, Bends in the dungeon tunnels anything that will break LoS so that I can hit my Hide Macro. Of course they'll start with the Earthquakes to try and reveal, but as soon as I start stealthing, I get Shadow Jump ready.

Lord Crowen

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, this isn't entirely relevant to what the OP was talking about, but remember this: In regards to stealing, the skill timer is started when you first activate the stealing skill (pull up the target reticule), not when you make the actual theft. With proper timing, you can run in, make a steal, and hide instantly with hiding or smoke bomb.
Wow! I have a thief since like ten years, but that i didnt know! Just how to include that in my macros? I usually have the desired item on last target, my macro is simple: use skill stealing, target last target. Think i have to split that in two. I need more keys:)

Thanks for sharing that bit of knowledge, Nonel!

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Crowen: Split your macro, anyway. I tried having steal and last target in one macro, but found I didn't like it. You have less control. Try to automate as little as possible.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always had steal and last target as two separate macros, it gives me full control. I also have last object as a macro (I double-click someones pack at whatever distance, casually walk by and hit last object to open the bag). That way it isn't always blatantly obvious I'm snooping. My technique for stealing is to use a skill with no timer on it (or a knife) to target an item I want. Then I hit the steal macro and wait for the opportunity to run by and hit the last target macro. :)

Separate macros allows for full control

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Crowen: Split your macro, anyway. I tried having steal and last target in one macro, but found I didn't like it. You have less control. Try to automate as little as possible.
I wouldn't suggest a Split, but making two macros. Here's Macro's I have set up...

Use Skill --> Hiding
Cast Spell --> Animal Form
Cast Spell --> Shadow Jump
Equip Last Weapon
Primary Ability (I use Shadow Strike here and there)
Invoke Virtue --->Valor (Use for setting things on Last Target)
Use Skill --> Stealing--->Last Target
Use Skill --> Stealing
Last Object

This way I can pick and chose which way I want to steal. The Last Object is for opening packs.. when people are running around I'll open their paperdoll double click their pack.. then when they run by me mash the key... once open their pack will stay on screen as long as they aren't too far out of range and I can look through it.

That's it for my Thief Macro's.. the few spells I can I do via clicking.