• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Night Writings

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The winds in the small valley howled, whipping up the snow around the house giving the appearance, at first glance that a blizzard had settled in. Sitting on the steps of Connemara, Aedon sipped a cup of peppermint tea and listened to the distant howls of wolves in the passage to south. The house had been put in order for the most part. Only a small amount of sorting through and putting up stood between him, and a sudden lack of work.

It had not taken as much time as he feared it would. Perhaps years of moving about and having to set up his home again and again had at long last paid off. And while he did enjoy the solitude of this new location, his mind and heart as always walked the paths of the yew woods. Unlike in the freehold, the cold of the winter winds were an all too present thing here, and as he sat there he wished that he had put on a coat. After a few moments of shivering, he decided to go in and sit in his chair before the fire.

He sat for a few minutes enjoying the warmth of the fire and the tea as they had a most pleasant effect on his body. Perhaps he was beginning to feel his age a bit. It seemed to him as though every inch of him ached. Chuckling a bit to himself, he picked up a tablet and pen and began to write.

Dearest Jan,

I am sure you will be pleased to hear that I have for now left Aegis. Though the work load there is no more so than it ever has been, I just needed to put some time and distance between me and the Glade for a bit.

With Yule time coming, the Knights Rest is decorated. I wish you and Kylee were here to see the lighted trees and as always, I have a Yule log burning brightly in the rooftop garden. The out buildings are being put to use by others as either a meeting area or in the case of the one, a small clinic.

Preparations are in the works for the annual party, and I was lucky to have Gillian return to host the party and take care of Aegis for me. She has more ideas for events in her head than she can count. She reminds me a bit of me in my prime, only perhaps a wee bit prettier.

Oh speaking of prettier than me, I am sure you remember Cara from a few years back. She has recently returned to the area and she and I have spent time hunting or just chatting about books we have read. It has been very pleasant to have her keeping me company, but I do worry a bit for her. She is young and pretty and should be spending time with those more her age. I did send her to the Shattered Skull tonight. It was Tavern Night and I knew the place would be brimming with people to meet and talk with. Oh, she met James, and he gave her a bit of a go round. He even managed to squeeze some whisky out of her.

I have not told you this yet, but Dramora has been back in Yew and in fact has a house in Aegis. I thought she might enjoy being in the town she has long cared for, and she seems to have been enjoying herself. She has been keeping company with a lad named Judas, and so far there has been no trouble with Mikael D’Amavir.

Now Judas you would really like. He seems a bit quiet and even shy at times. But when a pretty lady is about he seems to morph into a regular Don Juan. He is determined to woo and bed as many females as he possibly can. I am beginning to wonder if there is some sort of prize for this feat. Not that I am looking to join in such a competition mind you. In many ways he reminds me a bit of your brother Vyndaar, only a bit less stabby towards me.

I am hoping to do a bit of adventuring with the Rangers of Spiritwood-joint patrols involving Skara and Yew. I have been trying to keep my skills sharp for such an event, but in all truth my swing seems to suffer from years of neglect. It is not that I have forgotten how to fight, but alongside the younger folks I seem a bit slow and at times clumsy.

Winter has settled in around Connemara, and with the changing of seasons I find that I am a bit more restless than in the days of late summer or fall. I long to walk in winter woods, and seek paths that lead to places I have not yet seen. Perhaps I seek some adventure in my life, or maybe I am just looking to find something I fear I have lost. I am a bit more moody most days and some days I am given to fits of rage I cannot control.

Nights are hardest on me. I have always reveled in the pleasures of the night, enjoyed the sounds of evening as it settled like a blanket over Aegis. But these days the darkness brings only ill dreams and bitter memories. I am lost at times. At times I feel as lost as a man on the seas- in a boat with no rudder, no compass and no stars to guide him. But for now I am home, and am sitting before the hearth, enjoying a cup of tea.

I trust all is well with your family, and that Kylee is enjoying her time there. I look forward to the time we can sit together again, and as always remain yours.

Always and forever

With Love, Aedon

Folding the note, Aedon slipped it into an envelope. Standing, he yawned, and stretched. And looking towards the hearth said to the small black cat lying there.

“Bedtime Kili, it has been a very long day.”

Pausing for a moment, he glanced at the letter he held in his hand. Then walked towards the hearth and tossed it into the fire. He watched for a moment as the edges scorched and curled and embers rose from the flame as the letter vanished into ash. Turning towards the stairway, he turned the lantern down, and then headed upstairs.