• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Next Rares Fest

Do you want the next fest on Atlantic?

• Yes

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rare Collector

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just wondering what everyone thinks of having the next rares fest on Atlantic at my house right outside Luna. Please vote in the poll above to make your opinion known.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it has already been decided that it is on Chesapeake, and will take place July 16th-18th, more details to come in the near future, thank you

N

NewThunder

it has already been decided that it is on Chesapeake, and will take place July 16th-18th, more details to come in the near future, thank you
Who decided that! I think their should be a discussion about the pros and cons of where the next one is held.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its already been held twice on Atlantic, thats more than any other shard. Gotta give other shards a chance and i think most people had the general idea from the last thread that the next one was going to be hosted on Chesapeak as those willing to host it there said about it.

N

NewThunder

Its already been held twice on Atlantic, thats more than any other shard. Gotta give other shards a chance and i think most people had the general idea from the last thread that the next one was going to be hosted on Chesapeak as those willing to host it there said about it.
I am not saying it has to be Atlantic, but the discussion for the next rares fest should be open.

Gus of Llanowar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not saying it has to be Atlantic, but the discussion for the next rares fest should be open.
understood but pacific was chosen before the last one was over then ches wanted it ater the last fest was over. therefore it went in that order and no one as mentioned anything about it since. to pull off an event like pacific is doing this takes alot of time and organization. its not just about vendors anymore its an actual festival.

O

Old Macdonald

Just a suggestion.....why dont you just go down the server list and then there is no confusion?!?!?!!?

Hate to break this down kindergarden style -but we arent launching a space shuttle here!
:thumbup1:

D

DVI

Actually it has been held on Atlantic 3 times.

The festivals occured in this order.

1. Atlantic
2. Lake Superior
3. Europa
4. Atlantic
5. Atlantic
6. Great Lakes
7. Pacific (current)
8. Chesapeake (upcoming)

Also the reason that Atlantic has had so many is b/c of its population size and I was originally from that particular shard.

In addition it wouldn't make sense to just go down the list b/c some shards may not have the resources or people to pull off the event. They may not have the interest either. Besides majority of players do not have any interest in going to Origin for interest and it may effect player turn out.

I disagree with the comment about it not just being vendors any longer, as the majority of all past festivals included games, events, raffles and auctions to some degree and in some combination. If anything the festival has become more about vendors and trying to price gouge items. It has become very very commercialized with to many participants focusing on how much money they can make.

The original intent of the festival was not the vendors which was meant to be a secondary benefit but rather to foster community relations and strengthen ties between players.

I'm sure others will disagree with my opinions, but please remember as someone who created the entire idea for this event and then planned and ran 3 of them I'm going to have a different perspective. That doesn't necessarily make my opinions right of course...

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol i feel bad for people on that shard, they can never intertwine with people from other shards

RedRum

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember it being Chessy for the next Rares Fest as well. Now, after Chessy's festival, nothing has been decided that I know of or have seen.
GL, Baja, Origin, LS, etc. is anyone going to head up the next one, hosts, committee members, Luna Vendor locations, event staff? Speak up so the people can start planning for it.
Pacific took a TON of time and effort and has been running smoothly. Thanks to all involved in setting it up!

Rare Collector

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well like i said i can host the 1 after the Chessy fest at my house right outside Luna. I have 2 18x18s available and possibly a couple smaller houses along with an auction house.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will have a serious competition from [Treasure Trove] for primary hosting venue, if and when the festival returns to Atlantic.

Regardless, it is to be hosted on Chessy next. Demonous had it called a long time ago.

N

NewThunder

You will have a serious competition from [Treasure Trove] for primary hosting venue, if and when the festival returns to Atlantic.

Regardless, it is to be hosted on Chessy next. Demonous had it called a long time ago.
Treasure Trove is a great spot, no spawn and planty of room. I worry about the location on chessy and the spawn that can be dragged. The Rares Fest vendor house should really be in a zero spawn location.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing this post made me think about what might be an excellant shard to try out that would be totally differant. Perhaps Peil could help us coordinate a rares festival on one of the more populated Japanese shards. I'm sure thier are alot of rares collectors thier, that would be interested in either selling or buying thier rares as well. Perhaps once a year we could pick a differant Japanese shard to have it on. I'm sure thier are negatives to this idea, but I believe thier would be alot more positives to at least try it once.

D

DVI

If not Peil, I can certainly recommend a friend of mine named Okome on Sakura who is a very active collector and attends many of the US events and all of the Festivals.

Rare Collector

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well here is a map (labeled) of the location i have to host a rares fest. The spot has no spawn and is about 10 seconds NE of Luna's north gate. There are a few houses to the west not shown on the map that i might be able to get more vendors at but we have at least 95 vendor spots open to rent out, an auction house (part of the main vendor house) and lots of room to hang out and buy/sell/trade items.

F

Fraggles

I think having one on a Jap shard is a exellent idea!! and i agree that the Rares fest should be kept inside city limits as its more convenint to run to bank, shop around the other vendors ect. I would also love to see a event come to LS!

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, inside luna walls is better cause there are alot of "new" chars that dont have magery/recalls and running fast to bank is a very big plus. And, how many vendors wearing the blue robe we are looking in the current rares fest on PAC? Tons of them! thats only possible, inside walls.

D

DVI

I think having one on a Jap shard is a exellent idea!! and i agree that the Rares fest should be kept inside city limits as its more convenint to run to bank, shop around the other vendors ect. I would also love to see a event come to LS!
I held one on LS already, the third festival in the series actually.

Also, having it in Luna ruins the whole point of the festival, its not supposed to be about vendors but about community and creating tighter bonds. Besides look at how many vendors there are for this fest, tons, but look at how many are actually selling rares, less than half.

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, having it in Luna ruins the whole point of the festival, its not supposed to be about vendors but about community and creating tighter bonds.
Maybe that was the initial idea (a good one!), but looks the current festival. Its all about the (overpriced) vendors. For some people like me, the rares fest is the only way to put my hands in rares because my home shard is LS and there are no active rares collectors selling stuff.

Besides look at how many vendors there are for this fest, tons, but look at how many are actually selling rares, less than half.
I see tons of rares. Problem is, people only expect the high-end rares on vendors. Im selling runebooks made-by, of except and sigil ones.. guild deeds, hard to get snowy scenes, and alot alot more including some high-price rares too. All of those items are unobtainable anymore, i call them rares.

---

BTW, IMO rares fest is just a greedy fest where u can meet another people and friends. Thats all.

D

DVI

I'm referring to the numerous vendors claiming to be part of the festival selling tokens and arties and the like.

i would definitley consider your items to be rares but many other items that come to the fest are not.

T

Trevelyan

Atlantic had 3. That gives us two more.

Plus Europa represents a much more diverse group of players, who come from many different countries. And its a pretty well populated shard. And its where im from and you know you want to come see me!

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not sure about now, but before char transfers Europa had a TON of true rares floating around, for some reason that shard took care of them and let them be put on display, it was awesome.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah Europa has taken a big hit over the past year or two, we lost most of our big collectors like Alcestis and Hemisphere who was one of the biggest rare collectors ever, which is unfortunate, but we still have a few collectors, albeit many small collectors like myself, can't all be rich though ey :) Europa is still a great shard though :) With the largest RP community on UO! :D

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
So whats going on with the next Rares fest? I thought it was on Chesapeake? We were in talks to host the vendors in Kijustsu Anei Village which is right next to the Homare-Jima moongate. If this has changed please let me know so I can pull our communrity off of setting up for this and planning the events part of it. If it is being done somewhere else that is okay with me just need to know. Dont want to waste our communities time on something that isn't going to happen is all. *Smiles* *Tips hat* Cheers!

D

DVI

The major problem with holding the event on Europa as far as I can see is the time difference. It already has an impact on the american shards which only differ by 1-3 hours, but with the Europa being what 5-6 hours ahead of the East Coast American shards and 8-9 hours ahead of the rest it would mean that many players would either not be able to attend events and such, or that anyone hosting it better plan to be up quite late.

Also, as I explained previously the first two held on Atlantic were done so by my decision. Since I created the festival and at the time controlled every aspect of it I made the decision where it was to be held. It wasn't until I quit this past spring that others took up the responsibility of hosting it that it began to revolve from shard to shard. So, with that in mind you should begin the count from that point.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The major problem with holding the event on Europa as far as I can see is the time difference. It already has an impact on the american shards which only differ by 1-3 hours, but with the Europa being what 5-6 hours ahead of the East Coast American shards and 8-9 hours ahead of the rest it would mean that many players would either not be able to attend events and such, or that anyone hosting it better plan to be up quite late.
Yes and this is what us European players have to put up with virtually every time, so your saying its alright for us to suffer at the hands of the time difference but its not alright if the american players have to? :p
Other than the Europa Rares Fest, out of all the rares festivals i have only been able to attend 1 event and that was half the auction of the last one on Great Lakes because it was pretty early. The rest of the time i can only browse vendors which i don't mind doing at all, its alot about trading anyway, but it would be nice to get more involved :).
Not saying i want the next one to be on Europa because i don't, i want it to be on Chesapeak and to see more shards have a chance if they want to host it. But at some point down the line in the future it would be nice to see it hosted on Europa again for us Europeans, and not discard our shard completely because of the time difference. Surely the Americans wouldn't mind one time having it on Europa again in the future :).

It worked out alright last time on Europa anyway, with it being at the weekend and the majority of events hosted then at around 8pm-10pm our time. It was still like 12pm - 4pm American time. And most don't work on the weekends anyway :)

N

NorCal Uo Dealer

i am saying that we should not have any WRR help in any holdings of auctions or holdings. for there lack of knowledge of who they are allowing into there circle

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
i am saying that we should not have any WRR help in any holdings of auctions or holdings. for there lack of knowledge of who they are allowing into there circle
Is there some sort of screening process for being a member of WRR?
I thought anyone interested could.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The WRR crew will not be doing the auction on Chesapeake if we even have an auction, I'll have to see how it goes, maybe we will just lock down peoples high end items and have the owner of each item take bids until they decide to sell it themselves just like what was done on Great Lakes, but I assure you there will be no scamming whatsoever on Chessy, so far we have decided on which house to use for the auction if we do have one, which houses (there will be 3 side by side) to rent vendors from, this way a ton of people can rent vendors and it shouldn't be a competition to get one, and we are currently deciding on what types of events will take place, they will be a lot of fun and will all be constructed so that characters with no skills will be able to do them easily, no events will make anyone need to recall and we will have lotto drawings as well and we will also have raffle vendors with a 50/50 raffle where the winner gets half of the gold that the vendor earned, and raffle vendors for rares too just like the first ever Rares Festival on Atlantic, also the policy regarding stocking vendors will be that you can stock vendors whenever you wish, it will not be frowned upon whatsoever if you stock your vendor a week before with high end rares (that policy of not doing this has always annoyed me) The festival is mostly likely to take place July 16th through July 18th, more details will come in the near future and i hope this will be a great success to help forget about the auction disaster on Pacific, thank you