• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Newts] Elf receives grant for rodent studies in Britannia.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello friends. I thought I would take a stab at some journalistic writing as I have some newts to report! Ha ha! Just a little joke, since this story is about a young naturalist I substituted newts for the other word... *coughs* Anyway...

As part of the continuing search for knowledge, Lord Raven presents a yearly research grant to a young Elf with bright academic prospects. This year, the grant was for animal studies, in particular the rodent. The grant recipient must spend the year studying wild rats, then prepare a report for Lord Raven which will be forwarded to the Mages Council. It may not sound very appealing, but the grant covers living expenses and also provides materials such as notebooks and scientific instruments needed for the research.

As you can imagine, the competition amongst the elves in the Heartwood is intense. Each year, many young elves venture forth from the Heartwood only to be confounded by the strangeness and hostility of the human lands. Many are unable to earn a living and turn into brigands, often kidnapping innocent nobles for ransom.

Lord Raven has a long and amicable history with the Elven folk, often providing needed assistance to those elves seeking the "human experience." These research grants provide necessary aid to those elves that wish to leave the Heartland and further their academic pursuits across the many lands of Sosaria.

Winn the Elven Emmisary was on hand to congratulate this years grant recipient, Darwin.

Darwin, a young elf interested in nature studies won this years grant. His essay titled: "I gotta get out of Heartwood, the music is driving me nuts!" was a humorous yet, in-depth study of the reasons that many young elves give for wanting to explore the Human lands. This well written and incisive social commentary grabbed the attention of the committee and won him the prestigious grant.

I tried to catch Darwin to ask him a few questions about his feelings and ambitions, but he seems to have left the Heartwood very quickly and from what I hear, he is in Moonglow at this moment, conducting his field research.

I also tried to get a quick interview with Lord Raven, but he seems to have left town on some important business.

Winn, the Elven Emmisary repeatedly told me that he was "unavailable for comment", even though he was just standing there like he always does. Honestly, I don't know how Lady Ishtar does it.

Safe Travels, Sam

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*grumbles*

*looks into who is funding Lord Raven's grants*

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello friends,

I was finally able to catch up with Darwin to ask him about his studies on the rats in Brittania. He was at the Moonglow Docks following one rat around. I noticed that the rodent had a tiny tag on it's ear with Darwin written on it. Darwin explains:

He told me how he uses his innate elven tracking skills to locate the rodents, then he coaxes them to be his friend so that he can tag them. He then sketches a map of the release location and checks on the status of his rats daily. Noting changes in location and physical condition.

Some of his test subjects have dissapeared. Darwin suspects the local cats are to blame.

Although the grant funds his rodent research, the lad often ventures into the woods of Moonglow to study other forms of wildlife. I'm sure, that when published his field notebooks will prove an invaluable reference for the many budding young naturalists of Sosaria.

Safe Travels, Sam