• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newsletter #3

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the part about UO perspective and the vanishing point and I agree I also think this is the best way to draw in uo because if not you get so many different perspectives but about that vanishing point it was all english to me so maybe I did not understand it correct
I see no problem in creating the illusion of a vanishing point and still stay true to uo perspective if you draw a round cone in uo at some point the tipp of the cone will overtake the circle at the bottom if it is tall enough this is still true in uo because the sides of the cone is sloping same thing if you draw a sloping skirt at the topp of a flower pot or a classic barrel

The only items that look off or bad is round items that have some hight to them and you know people will hate them i think you artists could do a bit to hide the flaw in uo perspective when you draw round items
The soil in flower pots do not have to be completly flat the coulor of a round table edge do not have to be the same as the topp etc

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Next time, could someone bust out 3 minutes of hot ironing so the tee shirts don't look like you pulled
them off the back seat floor of your car ? Thnkz.

View attachment 44086

The white shirt if you pay attention on the left side of the picture it has a 7th and rsary under it. Its a 17th year anniversary shirt while the green one is a 18th anniversary shirt.

So WGAF if the shirts are ironed. Wtf is an ironed anyway? I get my stuff dry cleaned so I don't care. The priority should be both shirts should be 18th anniversary

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Uhm.. One of Mesanna's reasons for creating the in-game store was to be able to set more realistic prices. She. Said. That.

Once EA gets the money for fist-fulls of sovereigns, I'm doubting they're going to care all that much. I also doubt Mesanna will lower the prices to the point EA will "lose" money...not that you can lose money from virtual items to begin with.. but... whatevs.
I'm hoping they try to be competitive with 3rd party sites, or this is all for nothing.

Hmmm...pay $25 for a transfer token from Origin or &13 from the 3rd party website.

What to do...what to do......

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
but anyone that doesnt see this as the first steps toward F2P is a bloody fool.
Call me a fool then! lol Not like *that* hasn't happened before here ;) I think EA/BS will keep the subs AND try and increase profits through the in game store. I doubt UO generates enough money to ever end subscriptions.

So you need a code to enter into account management when you buy an expansion. How does that drop into your pack?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm hoping they try to be competitive with 3rd party sites, or this is all for nothing.

Hmmm...pay $25 for a transfer token from Origin or &13 from the 3rd party website.

What to do...what to do......

And remember: with the third party site there is no 72 hour wait time LOL. geeez sometimes they just leave me shaking my head in amazement at what they do

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And remember: with the third party site there is no 72 hour wait time LOL. geeez sometimes they just leave me shaking my head in amazement at what they do
Well, I don't think the 72 hour change has anything to do with UO, or that UO was even a consideration, so you can't really blame them for that.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well I guess we will see, I don't have to high of hopes, but I don't mind being wrong once in a while.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Seeing as how the newsletter has zilch to do with F2P, let's get back on topic shall we?

I'm normally one of the first to jump to Broadsword's defense--yes I'm kind of a fan boy--but it's also because I truly believe their development standards are defensible.

So I will admit that I have...problems...with this newsletter. I'll leave the grammar and spelling aside because, really, we've got bigger problems.

I actually have a big problem with the art perspective explanation. See, Uvtha hasn't made any huge leap in logic above; the objects in the world were created with a certain perspective for most of the game's existence. Much of that art is beloved, and is still often brought up in retrospectives in the gaming press, meaning it's one of the game's most memorable qualities.

My big problem is the extent to which Newsletter #3 attempts to throw years worth of prior teams and beloved artists and their work under the bus, essentially calling it out as substandard in order to dig your heels in and defend current artists and artwork that has been less popularly received. I just can't defend that move and also be able to sleep well tonight. It was wrong and kind of insulting, both to years worth of former staff, and to discerning players. If the newer development tools touted in the newsletter are so awesome, why haven't you received more favorable criticism? Sometimes the right move is to dig your heels in and look out for your team; but you've just given a hugely technical explanation that insists recent art is better and you're standing by it, even though it is out of sync with the perspective and craftsmanship that prior UO studios were praised for. How many bridges are you looking to burn exactly?

My other problem is minor; the play window size tease. It's pretty standard now for a QoL tease like this to get dragged out for a year or two before the team falls silent about it and eventually has to admit it didn't work out. I fully appreciate why things don't work out. But I don't think you need to include us on development meetings until you can really offer something. ;)
Exactly. +1. So I guess I can suck up the new horrid way art is going, as soon as they go back and fix ALL the existing art perspective to match it. If they don't want to do that then it's too bad for them. I won't be buying anything art related from their new (or old) store. I've tried their "new cartoon art" perspective several times and it goes on a vendor or in the trash. I don't use any of the new goofy looking art items and it hasn't had any effect on my game play. If I really want to make a cup of coffee for some reason I pull out the coffee pot, use it, then put it away. It's very sad they don't "get it" on such a critical issue. I'm a deco rares kinda guy. To eliminate the things that make this game fun for me doesn't seem like a way to encourage me to stick around. I'd like to see them say to tamers you'll never get another usable update. Anyone with a brain would know you can't change the art style 20 years in, lol. They get hammered each time they do it. *SMH* Lame excuses don't cut it. Doing it the "easy way" don't cut it. Do it right. All this smoke and mirrors bs, JUST LOOK AT IT, THE NEW PERSPECTIVES ARE WRONG. lol I assume they haven't "upgraded" their eyes yet ;)

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't think I really see the difference between someone hacking my Origin account and buying stuff (thus they have delay to get codes etc to try and stop that) and someone hacking my Origin account and buying a ton of funny money. Is there any real difference there at all??? Will it be that there will be a delay to get the new currency then once you finally get it THEN there won't be a delay buying in game? Are they going to no longer have a delay buying this new currency so some hacker can just go hog wild now with my hacked Origin account buying currency? I'm not following something here :) Naturally if that did happen and I reversed the charges they would ban my UO account so I guess it's no problem ;)

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Next time, could someone bust out 3 minutes of hot ironing so the tee shirts don't look like you pulled
them off the back seat floor of your car ? Thnkz.

View attachment 44086
I wonder why they didn't offer the ToL shirts like they did the 18th shirts? Actually the decals on the 18th shirts were cheaply made. Mine are wearing out quick, decals are cracking like crazy and such. And I hang them to dry after the wash, they don't even see a dryer. So if they went through the same company I'd probably pass.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think I really see the difference between someone hacking my Origin account and buying stuff (thus they have delay to get codes etc to try and stop that) and someone hacking my Origin account and buying a ton of funny money.
Well, if someone hijacks your EA account it will be to buy fifa points, not UO stuff. :p

The 72 hour change had nothing to do with UO.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well, if someone hijacks your EA account it will be to buy fifa points, not UO stuff. :p

Yeah but they hacked Origin accounts to buy fifa points. They didn't care what game you played. If it had nothing to do with UO why is UO paying the price then? It all ties together in a round about way :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah but they hacked Origin accounts to buy fifa points. They didn't care what game you played. If it had nothing to do with UO why is UO paying the price then? It all ties together in a round about way :)
What I mean is that UO is just an incidental casualty, as are all the games on origin, of EA's crap security.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

And if someone hacks EA, there will need more than one account accesses. Someone typing in your username and password is not hacking... I love how people throw around the "hack" word so much.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
And if someone hacks EA, there will need more than one account accesses. Someone typing in your username and password is not hacking... I love how people throw around the "hack" word so much.
I disagree here. Anytime someone gains access to something intentionally made not available to them is hacking. It doesn't matter how they went about it.

Besides in most cases it's probably not as simple as you make it out to be by just entering a username and password.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't save any of my info on Origin. I either enter it fresh or use paypal. I don't think it would be much use for them to get my Origin account regardless of how they did it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't say hack. :(

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think a lot of people misunderstand F2P, cuz to me it`s not about everyone no longer paying a monthly sub (that's crazy talk)... it`s more like being able to access the world with the same restrictions as trial accounts

"players are not allowed to place, co-own or be traded a house"

"players cannot visit Felucca dungeons or Felucca Lost Lands."

"players will only receive basic ores and logs (iron, plain logs) even if they'd otherwise qualify for better types. They will not receive sand or stone when mining"

"players cannot use Soulstones, Soulstone Fragments, Ball of Pet Summoning, Bracelet of Binding, Bag of Sending, Commodity Deeds, Scrolls of Alacrity, Power Scrolls, Stat Scrolls and Scrolls of Transcendence. They will not receive Mondain's Legacy rewards for resource gathering, jewels, ingredients and white pearls while fishing, monster kill points, virtue points or scrolls from Champion Spawns. They will not gain Justice virtue points for killing murderers or use Valor and Justice virtues. They cannot join Vice vs Virtue. They cannot participate in Community Collections or any repeatable quests even if they are normally repeatable. Finally, they cannot acquire BODs."

*One thing I would add to these rules would be to limit the skills available and cap them at 75

Now obviously this could be modified for players going from a paid account to F2P, example if they have a house then it's not accessible by anyone for 90 days and then starts to decay unless it becomes a paid account again. I'm sure there's alot of VETS that would like to come back and see the state of the game before paying for it, plus it would give them the time to figure out how to start paying with our complex billing system :p

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*One thing I would add to these rules would be to limit the skills available and cap them at 75
Lol, no.

Call me a fool then! lol Not like *that* hasn't happened before here ;) I think EA/BS will keep the subs AND try and increase profits through the in game store. I doubt UO generates enough money to ever end subscriptions.

So you need a code to enter into account management when you buy an expansion. How does that drop into your pack?
Again, have you ever read anything about an MMO that went F2P? I'm not sure a single one of them ended subscriptions.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Lol, no.

Again, have you ever read anything about an MMO that went F2P? I'm not sure a single one of them ended subscriptions.
I can't remember which one it was, Rift or Elder Scrolls Online went free to play. (Maybe both?)

But I've been wrong before.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't remember which one it was, Rift or Elder Scrolls Online went free to play. (Maybe both?)

But I've been wrong before.
Elder Scrolls didn't end subscriptions, I'm not sure about Rift.

TESO still has subscriptions as an option, they get expansions for free and monthly grants of the cash shop currency. SWTOR works the same way, as does LotRO.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Elder Scrolls didn't end subscriptions, I'm not sure about Rift.
I think there is some confusion here.

You could continue to subscribe but no longer required to pay for it.

Just wanted to be clear.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
This make me afraid, REALLY AFRAID.

I will tell why:

In my country the price of items in store are lower then the us stores, we are a poor country, so pay less make sense, but if they make this change, will the price increase for me?

actually i pay 29USD for a 180 days gametime, if the price go to 60USD i will need find another game
Yet in Canada, with our dollar down to 60 cents on the US dollar, we're still getting charged a converted US rate PLUS a sales tax they shouldn't actually be charging, making it cost me closer to double the US rate...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sovereigns in-game? .....hmm I really don't think UO's security is strong enough for this.
Say you buy 1000 from Origin, they are sent in-game and stored till used.
TBH, I don't think, that those will be "physical" items. It most probably will just be a number on your account, just like the gold is just a number on a shard per account.

As for the larger play screen.....yeah after several years of being told it's not possible, i'll believe it when I see it.
That's not a definitve answer there. Neither did they say it is possible now (not technically, but in terms of worth the effort), nor did they say, they are increasing it. They're just looking into it...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just want to know if selling Sovereigns on Stratics for Gold will be allowed. A Sovereign is bought with a Real Money Transaction (RMT) It is in fact a replacement for Real Money. Its only slightly different then advertising selling game time codes for gold, which Stratics decided to stop about 9 months ago.
Why should Sovereigns be anything else than a number on your account with absolutely no way to interact with them except by two methods:
1. Buy them in the origin store, which increases the number.
2. Spend them in the in-game store, which decreases the number.

Perfectly safe...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Why should Sovereigns be anything else than a number on your account with absolutely no way to interact with them except by two methods:
1. Buy them in the origin store, which increases the number.
2. Spend them in the in-game store, which decreases the number.

Perfectly safe...
It's the same system we have now. Some don't see that as perfectly safe. Your buying it from Origin just like we do now, and use it in UO just like we do now. No difference. The same problems that exist now would exist with the in game store. Only difference is Mesanna will, I assume, have more flexibility with the price we pay for things. Possibly be able to add new interesting content for sale easier. But we still use our credit cards at Origin. I'm not down on the idea. It sounds interesting and maybe even cool. But not because it's safer. It's not any safer or more dangerous, it's exactly the same.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buy game time cards and add them to the EA Wallet option at the Origin Store. Walmart offers them. Keep your CC info out of EA's system.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the same system we have now. Some don't see that as perfectly safe. Your buying it from Origin just like we do now, and use it in UO just like we do now. No difference. The same problems that exist now would exist with the in game store. Only difference is Mesanna will, I assume, have more flexibility with the price we pay for things. Possibly be able to add new interesting content for sale easier. But we still use our credit cards at Origin. I'm not down on the idea. It sounds interesting and maybe even cool. But not because it's safer. It's not any safer or more dangerous, it's exactly the same.
That "Perfectly safe" is related to my own suggestion, of how I would implement such a feature to prevent people from tampering around with Sovereigns (duping, trading, etc...).

It is absolutely not related of how safe the current process is or is not. TBH, I do not even have an opinion about that. So please lets not rip that "Perfectly safe" out of context. ;)