• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] The Golden Brew Tavern Has Disappeared, as told by WarderDragon

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Golden Brew Tavern Has Disappeared

The End Of The Golden Era:
The Golden Brew Tavern Has Fallen.
By WarderDragon
December 26, 2008.

Dear Citizens of Baja,

It is with great regret and deep sorrow that I have to inform you of the collapse of the Golden Brew Tavern. For those who don't already know, the Golden Brew Tavern has essentially been the premiere roleplaying destination of the Baja Shard for more than ten years now. Since their inception in August 1998, the tavern has been a gathering place of roleplayers of all different persuations and alignments; whether they were Rangers of the Realm, Sailors of the Kingdom of Lumaria, or Initiates of the Dark Tower. It was the location of many famous and infamous events over the years, including A Wild Goose Chase for Mendur’s Daughter, the celebration following the Serpents War (a long war between the Knights of the Silver Serpent and the Shadow Imperium), and a rendition of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" by Kita Talith.

When Computer Games Online interviewed Raph Koster (Designer Dragon), one of the original developers of Ultima Online, they asked him "What was UO's biggest triumph?", he replied:

Quote:
I think that we were successful in making a more dynamic environment than what was the norm. It wasn't anywhere near what we'd hoped for, but it was enough, I think. We got that amazing player economy, we got those player towns, and theater troupes -shout out to the Golden Brew players here - and just this stunning array of guilds and the like. I don't know that the level of community involvement, and of so many microcommunities, has manifested anywhere else.
The Golden Brew originated near the Justice Shrine in Felucca, and subsequently moved to the same location in Trammel following the release of Ultima Online: Renaissance. They spread out, eventually developing the City of Golden around the tavern, and building the Golden Mage Tower south-west of Ravenshire. They moved once more when the Baja Roleplaying Community (BRC) decided to migrate en masse to Malas, the Golden Brew being set-up just south of Luna while the other roleplaying guilds built the cities of Grimswind (The Rangers of the Realm, the Tiberian Temple, etc) and Scythe (The Dark Tower and Shadow Imperium).

They were one of the few establishments to weather the subsequent collapse of the Baja Roleplaying Community. Grimswind City and Scythe both disappeared; along with Ravenshire, New Lumaria, and Fairhaven within months of one another. The darkest hour came just prior to the Samurai Empire expansion when Lady Ivy, a well-known community leader involved in just about every large roleplaying community on the Baja Shard, announced an event a month in advance at the Golden Brew that no-one showed up for. The roleplayers were all but completely gone from the Baja Shard.

Ultima Stratics reported on the new Golden Brew Tavern in 2005.

Quote:
Last visited by Brystol Lyonhart - 05/09/2005 Coordinates: 76° 12' N, 23° 41' W - Malas

Many people have enjoyed being a customer of the Golden Brew since its original inception way back on August 6, 1998. Originally located in the Felucca Shard, the Brew eventually upgraded and moved, foundation and all, over to the Trammel Shard. It was here that it spent most of it's years and where many current players have stopped by for an ale or two. Both of these locations were just up the coast North by Northeast of the Shrine of Justice. Throughout the years it was also surrounded by a town dubbed "Golden", named after the tavern that it was built around.

As time tends to do with all things, the Brew changed again in 2005 - People moved on to other worlds and new residents moved in. However, some of the original owners of The Golden Brew and members of The Golden Knights (who built the Brew) - Namely Joshua Rowan and Leyf Bolden - decided it was time to move the Brew into even bigger digs and moved it over to an incredible location just south of the City of Luna in Malas Shard (see maps). It is here that The Golden Brew currently resides, along with the base of The Golden Knights Guild.

The Golden Knights welcome all adventurers looking for a stout beer, for a long story, or simply for a place that they can relax and share time with friends and enemies alike. As has been said of the Brew in the past, "You will find players relaxing in between expeditions or just enjoying each other's company. If you're in the mood for a good meal I recommend the hot and spicy drake ribs and fresh brewed ale." You should also make sure to stop at the ORC HEAD on the way inside and pat it for Good Luck!

We also welcome all guilds and players who would like to use The Golden Brew for birthday parties, bachelorette parties, or any other special event that you have a need for.

For questions or concerns, feel free to contact Joshua Rowan anytime!
One could almost say that the Golden Brew Tavern was one of the few remaining pillars of Baja's original roleplaying community, along with what remains of the Kingdom of Dawn, the City of Avalon, the Mage Tower, the Dark Tower, and the Lumarian Bridge. The tavern was even featured in the Baja-Chesapeake-Pacific Cross Shard Tour, where James of the Mage Tower filled in visiting members of PaxLair (Chesapeake), the Ancient Order of Elders (Pacific), and members of our own community details on the Brew's long history, including stories of Ursula, Joshua Rowan, and Kita Talith.

The Baja Roleplaying & Event Alliance (BRPA), as the continuation and rebirth of the ideals held by the Baja Roleplaying Community of Legothir Sageon (BRC), hopes to do all that we possibly can to honor the memory of the Golden Brew Tavern, and renew the sense of community that those Golden Brew Players instilled within our hearts so many years ago. Nicholas the Old is currently consulting with other roleplayers and community-elders on the possibility of some sort of memorial being held in the coming year. We will make the announcement once plans have been made.

WarderDragon,
The Baja Roleplaying & Event Alliance
Administrator of the Twilight Sanctuary Roleplaying Alliance

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is unfortunate news. The Brew (the one placed in Malas) was about 10 seconds away from my egg-carton-shaped humble abode. I'll definitely miss the Brew, but more importantly, I've always missed the Golden Knights even more (I'm hoping that there are still a few around?). They fought for what they believed in, and they made my experiences in Sosaria a million and one times better than what it would've been. Countless memories with them (from way back when), all priceless. Many sake shots in your name, and I'm doing this whilst nude because I care that much. To the Golden Brew Tavern!

Hazz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I suppose I should raise a glass to its legacy rather than mourn its disappearance. The Golden Brew Players were a stellar cast of characters who I recall entertained none other than Lord British himself at one time.

I remember a previous short-lived tavern in the Justice region that staged monster-bashes (gating in monsters) but it met a timely end once the owner gave up in frustration during the era of stolen keys. It was so great to see the Golden Brew emerge in the same area and really turn the shard on its end over the next few years. Thanks for posting this.

~Hazard

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That tavern wouldn't happen to be called the Green Dragon, would it? I was exploring the area of Felucca near where the Golden Brew was once located, and came upon an old public house (improperly placed), that was decorated fascinatingly similar to how I remember the Golden Brew in its earlier incarnations. Upon inspection, there is a leafed guestbook that includes comments from one of the Seers. I've always wondered if it had any history to it.

Hazz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, the Green Dragon was another tavern that was opened and ran by a guild, although I can't recall their name. I think they were rangers of some sort, but not RoR. The building was there for ages, but I believe popped up after the Brew started. I never recall ever seeing anyone congregate there, or reading about any events in its location.

As far as the tavern I recall, it was a 2 story just SW of the Shrine, flush up against the coastline, right around the curve, just a bit to the south of the bend. It didn't last too long due to the owner's frustrations, but was def. one of the first 'open' establishments I remember. The owner's name 'Coren' is coming to me at the moment...might be off.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I suppose I should raise a glass to its legacy rather than mourn its disappearance.
*Smiles Warmly* Clearly, that is what our wonderful event moderators have been up to.

I meant to post this more than a week ago; but alas, you know how the time flies when your chasing down noble brats. *Chuckles* Well, for those of you who have been following this story (and for the others that may very well be lurking); our absolutely awesome event moderators have retrieved a pitcher of the Golden Brews Finest Ale from the Undying Lands. Upon careful inspection though, Nicholas discovered the pitcher to be quite empty; not but a mere droplet left for their guests. Obviously, Seppo and Pallando have been enjoying themselves. Good times to be had in the land of Baja! :)

Jixxa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tis sad for sure...but also a time to reflect all the good times had by so many. I find memories of friends is a blanket of warmth in new worlds. I mostly remember the time my Angelica went to the land of Atlantic to brings merriment with our play, I was most honored to have been chosen for the journey....

*raises a toast to the Brew*

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will miss that place. I once took my UO wife there for a date (back when it was in tram) and by chance was during their "business hours" so we got full service. It was a great time and she liked RPing. When I left UO shortly after malas and came back recently I went to the tram location and almost freaked when I didnt see it there. Then later found out that they were in malas and it made me happy to find that they moved into a bigger place, they deserved it!
*raises a glass to the Golden Brew*

K

Kita Talith

Hi everyone! Wow... Thorin Ironbeard sent me the link to this page, and I saw so many wonderful old friends posting here I just had to register and respond. I'm amazed and touched at the wonderful legacy and memories everyone obviously has of The Golden Brew and The Golden Brew Players. :) I knew it had gone on for some time after I and some of the others moved on, but I had no idea of the subsequent moves etc. The last time I was there, the Brew and the town and theatre were still in Trammel near the Justice Shrine. Thorin and I often talk about those times fondly - it's still one of the things I'm proudest of - having been part of a community that's remembered so fondly. I do miss everyone still.

Since leaving UO, I've been in a number of different places.. in a number of different incarnations - DAoC, Everquest, StarWars Online, The Sims Online (where I actually used the name Kita Talith). At one point, I took a LONG break from my computer - a year or more - didn't play anything at all. About a year ago, I found myself in Second Life, where I currently am on a daily basis. :) If anyone has a self in SL, please send an IM to Annan Dreamscape. Would LOVE to hear from you.

I miss everyone - and if there is a reunion, and it's possible for me to get there (i would have to get the game again, but that's ok), I certainly will try. Please keep me posted.

Love and hugs to everyone,
Kita

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Hamlet of Amonseti establishes the Golden Brew Villa!
by WarderDragon
Wednesday, January 14th

I just wanted to add another update. *Smiles*

I was in the process of preparing and composing the memorial story for the Golden Brew Tavern late that evening (the one posted by Lady Sara for me above); when I made the discovery that a gentleman by the name of "Amonsetira" had placed his new homestead over the same site.

I was curious, as can be expected. Might this man have been here for the collapse? Perhaps he might've discovered something amongst the remains, such as old books or mementos belonging to the Golden Brew Players. Whipping out my old wooden pipe, stuffing the bowl with some sweet smelling Duchess Leaf, I waited patiently until the owner arrived again. Unfortunately, he had not been there for the collapse. He had been wandering about the plains south of Luna later that evening when he had discovered the plot, and thought it would be an excellent place to establish his new homestead.

He asked me about the building that once stood there south of Luna; and never missing the chance to tell a story about the history of our beloved shard, I told him about the Brew and its Golden Knights. I explained its long history, and its importance to the community.

A truely kind and virtuous individual he is, for he asked if there was anything he could do to honor the Golden Brew's memory or immortalize its name? I replied that, should he want to do something along those lines, I am sure that many of our elders and roleplayers would be immensely touched by the gesture.

So, wandering about last evening south of the stone walls of Luna; lo and behold! I discovered the completed "Hamlet of Amonseti!" One of the small homes within the homestead, the one closest to the heart of its old foundations, was given the name "The Golden Brew Villa." It bears an uncanny resemblance to the ancient Brew. I should hope to thank this individual the next time I run into him; for this was truely an awesome gesture. I would also encourage folks to go take a look. He is clearly one of those masters of customization; building a small palace and dark tower upon the same plot. *Grins*

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi everyone! Wow... Thorin Ironbeard sent me the link to this page, and I saw so many wonderful old friends posting here I just had to register and respond. I'm amazed and touched at the wonderful legacy and memories everyone obviously has of The Golden Brew and The Golden Brew Players. :) I knew it had gone on for some time after I and some of the others moved on, but I had no idea of the subsequent moves etc. The last time I was there, the Brew and the town and theatre were still in Trammel near the Justice Shrine. Thorin and I often talk about those times fondly - it's still one of the things I'm proudest of - having been part of a community that's remembered so fondly. I do miss everyone still.

Since leaving UO, I've been in a number of different places.. in a number of different incarnations - DAoC, Everquest, StarWars Online, The Sims Online (where I actually used the name Kita Talith). At one point, I took a LONG break from my computer - a year or more - didn't play anything at all. About a year ago, I found myself in Second Life, where I currently am on a daily basis. :) If anyone has a self in SL, please send an IM to Annan Dreamscape. Would LOVE to hear from you.

I miss everyone - and if there is a reunion, and it's possible for me to get there (i would have to get the game again, but that's ok), I certainly will try. Please keep me posted.

Love and hugs to everyone,
Kita
Greetings, Kita Talith! *Smiles*

You and the rest of the Golden Brew Players are deeply missed. I am glad to see that you guys are still out there somewhere, carring on adventures in other realms. Should any developments occur, you will be the first to know.

T

Thorin Ironbeard

I want to make it known that the original creator, owner and proprietor of the Golden Brew Tavern was Ursula. That's not to say that the rest of us didn't pitch in, and I think Joshua might have paid for the building in part or in full, but Ursula sat in the place night after night, slowly building up the client base and making it into a legend. She was the heart of the Golden Brew.

And while we're on the topic, the Golden Brew Players were conceived by Kita Talith, Ursula and myself. The enthusiastic support of our guildmates helped the venture succeed and was much appreciated, but we three came up with the idea.

I think it's important when we're remembering our history to remember it accurately, and I find it irksome that there exist accounts of the history of the Golden Brew and the Golden Brew Players that fail to even MENTION Ursula or Kita. The vision and leadership of these two exceptional women lifted the Golden Knights into a position where we helped define what was meant by community in a virtual world. Maybe they don't care who gets credit, but I do.

And I still got me a big ol' hammer ta back me up, dagnabbit.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail, Thorin of the Golden Knights! *Smiles Warmly*

I completely understand where you're coming from, my good friend. I too, wish to ensure that as much as humanly possible; we tell the proper story, with as much warmth, depth, and love as it so rightfully deserves. I also want to make absolutely clear that by no means was the memorial intended to be lacking or incomplete; nor were the missing references to either Lady Ursula, Lady Kita, or yourself; intentional on my part.

Although I've had many wonderful encounters with the Golden Brew and her band of merry knights - namely Petrus, Joshua Rowan, and Leyf Bolden, having seen the Brew's significance to our shards history and destiny displayed with a clear and focused lens - I regret to have personally never have taken the time to really get to know the players behind the establishment; nor involve myself with that community more often. So, despite these interactions and fond memories, my understanding of the Brew's history has the consistancy of Swiss Cheese; there are plenty of holes that could be filled in. The vast majority of my interactions with them came during the period I acted as the Dark Tower's Loremaster and resident Librarian (and for a short period, the Cabal of the Ether); during the reigns of Mistresses Ivy Shadowsfare, Cymidei Fier, and Sigrun (which largely spanned from 2003-2005). It would not be until the ale stopped flowing and the stools began to collect dust that I would truely grasp just how important the establishment was to our shard.

I've bumped into many of its members over the years, and participated in more than one of its weekly tavern nights (I have some fond memories of roleplaying in its Trammel Incarnation); but my knowledge of its history was (and still is) largely based on tidbits learned from other, far more elderly roleplayers than I. Aside from Lady WildStar of Dawn, Lord James of the Mage Tower, and Lord Hazzard of Avalon; I scarcely think there are many out there who know even as much as I. To just read what you've now posted has filled in some major gaps in that wonderful tale for me. I always knew Ursula was one of the major leaders (and she is still spoken of most fondly of on Baja); but I had never known she was the original leader and proprietor, for instance. I had always merely assumed that Joshua Rowan must've founded it, since he ran things for the most part during my interactions with the Golden Brew.

So, it is with that said that I humbly ask your forgiveness, my friend. It is my wish and purpose to preseve the history of our shard as much as possible; for far too much has been lost and can never be recovered. Only from the memories of our few elder citizens and roleplayers can such history be immortalized.

I wish to make this plea; to you or anyone else familiar with both the background of the Golden Brew and other lost player-run communities on our shard. As the Ancient Sosarian said months ago, we cannot tread boldly into the future without properly honoring our past. So, it is with that in mind that I wish to collect as much of our shards history as possible. I am familiar with a great deal of it; but by no means all. It is with this great purpose that I request the aid of my friends and fellow community-members.

Warmest Regards,

Nicholas the Old
The Baja Roleplaying & Event Alliance

P.S. Just for reference; no, Nicholas the Old wasn't part of the Dark Tower! *Chuckles* That was a previous, much more devious incarnation. Ol' Greybeard isn't secretly serving Mistress Cymidei and poisoning your gingerbread cookies.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of my fondest memories is, while out wandering the new lands of Britannia, I stumbled onto the beatiful town of Golden. The first person I met was an odd, but kind, sorceress by the name of Petrus. She invited me into her house, a large tower (and at that time the largest house I had ever been in) and gave me a magical book called a runebook (complete with her name on the cover), then patiently taught me how to best use the magical powers of runes, all the while singing "I'm A Little Teapot".

After my rune lessons, Petrus escorted me to the Golden Brew Tavern, where I met Ursula for the first time. Luck was with me, as it was a day there was to be a production presented by the Golden Brew Players.

Following the play, everyone met at the Golden Brew tavern for an evening of merriment. Joshua Rowan, no doubt bravened by the stout ale being served, then ran out into the woods. He was soon chased back into town by gargoyles, harpies and a few other monsters and took great delight in watching the finely dressed, but not so sober patrons, fend off the horde of evil beasts.

What a fine evening it was! I often returned to Golden for their tavern nights, or to browse the wares of the various vendors and to purchase more of the runebooks and recall scrolls made by Petrus.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Smiles*

I have fond memories of Lady Petrus. I didn't have nearly as many encounters with her as I would've liked, but I was her next door neighbor for nearly two years. My first home - a small tower on the south-west edges of Ravenshire - was located right behind her own large tower.

I remember one time, I had decided to create "Little Malthon"; the ten year old son of Malthonion of Ravenshire. He was a brave young lad, but far too curious for his own good. In the months since creating him, he had many encounters with Dekar Willowind (leader of the Dawn Order of Rangers), so he was delighted to discover his old friend arriving with Lady Petrus and Ivy Shadowsfare at the Golden Mage Tower. He followed them up (much to their annoyance), asking questions about everything. While Petrus and Ivy discussed official business (I believe this was just before the restoration of the Dark Tower; around the time Cymidei Fier was building up the Shadow Imperium and her Shadowfel-Ravenshire Storyline was in full-swing); he somehow managed to find a discarded flask of this luminescent green fluid. It didn't taste quite as good as he had hoped, and he fainted there on the floor. Thankfully, Ivy was kind enough to awaken (ressurect) the poor boy. Just don't tell anyone I told you, alright? Lady Ivy has a reputation to uphold; former Mistress of the Dark Tower and all.

Then, Malthon followed Petrus upstairs for a moment, so that Ivy and Dekar could "talk." He quickly grew bored, and wanted to ask Dekar if he would teach him archery. While Petrus wasn't looking, he proceeded back down stairs to the laboratory; and saw the legendary ranger of Dawn and the "Dark Mistress" of the Tower growing rather intimate. Needless to say, the poor boy ran back up the stairs screaming at the top of his lungs. I remember him telling Petrus that "Ivy is going to give Dekar cooties!"

T

Thorin Ironbeard

Well, having been my old cantankerous self in my first posting in ages, let me say that Joshua Rowen was a good friend, and took me and Ursula into the guild when we were mere striplings. He is the constant that held the Golden Knights together through thick and through thin, and all the other Golden institutions and events grew from that base. Leyf was another part of that foundation, and deserves his place in the history.

Petrus brought a little bit of well-needed chaos into the ranks, and I remember her with great fondness.

Some other names call out to me across the years; Pasque, who reminded us that it is, after all, a game and games are meant for play; Bub'gr, the first (and as far as I know, the only) orc to become a Golden Knight, with his unfortunate fondness for fresh horsemeat; James the animal tamer and his enormous.... dragons; and Finley, quite possibly the most storied NPC bartender in history.

And it should be noted that when the ranks of the Golden Knights were stretched thin, we gained first an alliance and then a merger with the Celestial Knights, from whence came Kita Talith. Kita was our cheerleader, bandage-maker, and occasionally damsel-in-distress before she became director of the Golden Brew Players. Of course, she didn't always play by the damsel-in-distress rulebook... I remember when she was captured by the Dark Tower on one occasion, and that infamous hive of villainy was preparing for an epic confrontation as the Golden Knights organized a rescue, she took matters into her own hands by nabbing the object of interest from within the tower and removing herself to safety under her own power (leaving the organizers of the storyline scrambling to keep up).

So many tales... there was the Order of Pragmatic Wisdom, founded by Brother Duncan, a thief and con-man who found himself drawn so deeply into his scams that he became what he pretended to be, a warrior priest (and grandmaster fisherman). The other principle was Tori Keegan, an ex-thief who became mother-superior by dint of wanting to be "respectable"... her definition of "respectable" consisting primarily of drawing the curtains when one is entertaining gentlemen callers.

So many faces... I've mentioned only a few, but there were so many others. Some put years of effort and love into the guild, some a few short seasons, but all of them made a contribution, and they deserve better than my failing memory can provide.

But some characters were all mine, and they did what they could to contribute to the lore. So if anybody didn't know (and if anybody remembers and cares), let me introduce my other selves; Brother Duncan; Crimson Hellkite (mercenary sister of Ursula and self-appointed Golden Brew bouncer); Lysistrata (woodworker and actress, still in her Alice in Wonderland costume when Lord British himself visited the Brew); and Archimedes (who kept to himself due to an unfortunate fixation with succubi).

And when you offer an old man the chance to talk about the old days, well... be careful what you wish for :sleep2:

T

Thorin Ironbeard

Two things have been made plain to me since my first post; one, I did not actually come out and apologize for the tone of that first message, and please accept my apology now. I had just finished reading this excerpt from the book Dungeons and Dreamers and was dismayed that the central role of Ursula and Kita in the social fabric of Golden was not mentioned. I did not mean to accuse or indict any of the participants of this thread, and the fact that our contributions are remembered and honored to this day fills me with pride.

The second thing that I have been reminded of is this; although Brother Duncan coined the name, "Order of Pragmatic Wisdom", he was not the founder. Tori Keegan founded the Order. Duncan was the founder of "Brother Duncan's Home for Wayward Girls", a somewhat less visible institution that preceded the Golden Nuns of the Order.

Thank you to everybody who was preserved and continued the history and traditions of the Golden Knights and the Golden Brew, and may your paths be blessed with virtue and joy in all your incarnations.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Chuckles*

My friend, you've done absolutely nothing that need warrant an apology. Instead, you have both my sincerest thanks and gratitude - for not only was your irritation more than understandable (I would've felt the same way, were pieces of information regarding my beloved Ravenshire or Dawn found to be missing) - but in that ire of yours, you've provided me with so much information and detail that I otherwise would never have had. You've elaborated for many of our younger generation of players (and perhaps even our lurking event moderators) information that I, being only a fond aquaintance of the Golden Knights, could not have detailed accurately. For that, I offer my gratitude.

With your permission, I would like to soon summarize and archive some of the information you've provided to me above. Governor Winfield, the leader of Paxlair on the Chesapeake Shard (and one of the key roleplaying-leaders over on that server), is working on a Wiki-Project where he intends to allow various shards to upload and archive their various histories, tales, and character profiles for successive generations to enjoy and remember. I hope to begin contributing Baja's History to his project when I have the opportunity, for its information like what you've just provided to me that will make it complete.

If you would like more information about this project (and perhaps be interested in writing a few summarizes about the history of the Golden Brew), just give me the heads up and I will point you in the direction of Governor Winfield. The website isn't quite ready for primetime, but the beginnings of it can be found here.

UOCwiki.org - The Ultima Online Community Wiki.

Warmest Regards,

Nicholas the Old

T

Thorin Ironbeard

You have my blessing to use any information I provide as you see fit to preserve the lore of Baja.

I have been trying to formulate a rough timeline of events concerning the Golden Knights, Golden Brew, Town of Golden and Golden Brew Players. Too many resources have been lost to "bit-rot", though, and I've got gaping holes in both my memory and documentation. If anybody can step forward and provide more dates, it would be helpful. In particular, I'm missing the dates of "A Christmas Carol" (both the aborted premier in Nu'Jelom and the successful first performance at the Brew), and "Through the Looking Glass". Also, I don't remember exactly when Ursula and I joined the Knights (early '98, I think) or when we merged with the Celestial Knights (which brought us Kita, Death, and maybe Petrus... I don't recall precisely who was with which group at that point).

The archives of the Freeborn Press were useful in trying to reconstruct some sequences of events.

October, 1997 (?) - The Golden Knights, Guardians of the Crossroads, established by Joshua Rowen, Leyf Bolden (?), and Robert the Red. I think Leyf was one of the original three, but I'm not certain.

Aug. 6, 1998 - Golden Brew established near the Justice Shrine in Felucca.

December 1998 (?) - Golden Brew Players launch their first production, "A Christmas Carol". The premier in Nu'Jelom is an unmitigated disaster, struck first by looters stealing all the props and scenery, and then by an untimely server crash. The rescheduled play is held at the Golden Brew, where there is available a disproportionate response to scene-stealers, and the performance goes smoothly.

July 11, 1999 - Golden Brew Players perform Rumplestiltzkin at the Baja Mage Tower Allmeet Festival

July 17, 1999 - Kita Talith awarded The Lord British Award for Excellence in the Community

August 6, 1999 - Golden Brew Players featured in UO Spotlight

November, 1999 - Golden Brew Players perform The Wizard of Oz; performance is attended by an incognito Lord British

November, 1999 - Joshua Rowan awarded The Lord British Award

April, 2000 - Trammel opens. The town of Golden, including a new Golden Brew and the Golden Globe Theatre, is built. This is the first time that the Brew is not located in an open PVP zone.

April 6, 2000 - Golden Brew Players garner a picture and mention in Amy Jo Kim's book, "Community Building on the Web"

January 11, 2001 - Kita Talith featured in an article in the New York Times, "Men Are From Quake, Women Are From Ultima".

April, 2001 – Ursula’s story of the Spring Festival at the Golden Brew is featured in the UO Spotlight

May 2001 - Golden Brew Players present The Princess Bride

July 2001 - UO Lead Designer Raph Koster gives a "shout-out" to the Golden Brew Players in an interview in Computer Games Online; he also uses them as an example in presentations about community-building.

August 2003 - A passage in Brad King's book "Dungeons and Dreamers" features Joshua Rowen's account of the formation of the Golden Knights, Golden Brew and Golden Brew Players

2005 - Golden Brew moved to Malas

December 2008 - Golden Brew falls

Jan 2009 - Amonsetira names a building on the former site of the Brew, "The Golden Brew Villa"

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, Thorin. *Smiles Warmly*

I shall put this information to good use. I have just spoken with Winfield of Paxlair; and he has confirmed to me that the UO:C Wikiproject is still underway. When they are ready to begin accepting information, I will let everyone know; so we can begin archiving our shards history and events.

July 11, 1999 - Golden Brew Players perform Rumplestiltzkin at the Baja Mage Tower Allmeet Festival.
*Begins eyeing the members of the Mage Tower*

Hm? Hm? :thumbsup:

L

Leyf Bolden

October, 1997 (?) - The Golden Knights, Guardians of the Crossroads, established by Joshua Rowen, Leyf Bolden (?), and Robert the Red. I think Leyf was one of the original three, but I'm not certain.
Bumping a very old thread because I'm making my once yearly visit to the Baja forums and wanted to correct this.

"Oh my gosh no" - I didn't start UO till 02/99, I had nothing to do with the founding of the Golden Knights - Thorin, you were a grizzled old vet when I was new. If I remember correctly, I started on Catskills in early 99, posted a bit about my frustration finding people on Cats, and you & Josh & Ursula invited me over to Baja about March of that year. I never had anything to do with the Golden Brew Players shows, except I think I acted as bouncer out front a few times. If I think about it, I'm still mad that I missed seeing Lord British by mere minutes that night.

To add to the timeline - about 2002 or 01ish, Ursula left the Brew in my charge and I hope I did a quarter as good as she did; I took on a partner Lord Brytt and we maintained it from then till I left in '04, Brytt kept it going a while after that then left it to Joshua Rowan and moved it to Malas.