• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] The 121st UO-Stratics HoC Chat Log

G

Green Mouser

If they are working on Factions to make it a better experience for PvP'rs then power to them. If they are dressing this pig up to attract new meat, I think they will fail on the returns....its still a pig.

T

Trebr Drab

If they are working on Factions to make it a better experience for PvP'rs then power to them. If they are dressing this pig up to attract new meat, I think they will fail on the returns....its still a pig.
One of the inherent problems with these "systems" is the over done control of them. These are game developers who are used to making every aspect of the system, from point 'A' to point 'Z', in a guided tour. They end up too much like "King of the Hill" designs. That's fine for most games, but it just doesn't work all that well in a sandbox. It's a tough thing to pull off, but for starters, get rid of the kiddie point systems. They lead to selfish, non-team oriented goals.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the inherent problems with these "systems" is the over done control of them. These are game developers who are used to making every aspect of the system, from point 'A' to point 'Z', in a guided tour. They end up too much like "King of the Hill" designs. That's fine for most games, but it just doesn't work all that well in a sandbox. It's a tough thing to pull off, but for starters, get rid of the kiddie point systems. They lead to selfish, non-team oriented goals.
Agreed. They also need HARSH penalties for attacking your own faction mates. Without them, factions will remain a haven for D-bagery.

T

Trebr Drab

Agreed. They also need HARSH penalties for attacking your own faction mates. Without them, factions will remain a haven for D-bagery.
Attacking, stealing, helping the enemy, all can be solved by the same justice system that I hope they implement. One system for everybody. Except if you aren't in factions, and you heal someone in a faction battle, you turn the same color as they are for the faction duration. Heal a red, you turn gray because you don't have the counts be make it to red. Heal a faction member and you just got recruited.

This opens things up and removes artificial feeling restrictions. It can bring players back to Fel, if they know that if they get PKed, there's a price to pay for the PKer. It also allows friends to play together even if one is in factions and the other isn't. You can heal your factioned friend and join that faction for a term, or not if you want to remain neutral.

Unless, of course, they open up a classic shard. Then they can do any gamey thing they want on these shards, most of us who care will be on the classic.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I dunno... There are spys and saboteurs out there.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dunno... There are spys and saboteurs out there.

This assumes they are roleplaying, not simply being D-bags due to internet anonimity.

There needs to be reprecussions. 15 mins of statloss isn't enough.

Silverwood

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kestrel said "clicks, whirrs, hums" , isn't that from Chrono Trigger? Possibly a hint regarding time travel that may involve faction changes or "classic shard" stuff? Any time travel in the Ultima fiction?

Just a random thought.

:stretcher: :confused::pint::pint::pint:

T

Trebr Drab

Kestrel said "clicks, whirrs, hums" , isn't that from Chrono Trigger? Possibly a hint regarding time travel that may involve faction changes or "classic shard" stuff? Any time travel in the Ultima fiction?

Just a random thought.

:stretcher: :confused::pint::pint::pint:
Hmm, interesting. Yeah, there's lots of time related things in Ultima, but all related to the Stranger and Mondain as far as I remember. But that's enough to do something like you are suggesting.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the other hand, Kestrel is a QA, not a designer. Most of his other comments are not serious, I'd say it's more along the lines of 'I'm thinking' since the next sentence is the answer to one of the questions.

T

Trebr Drab

On the other hand, Kestrel is a QA, not a designer. Most of his other comments are not serious, I'd say it's more along the lines of 'I'm thinking' since the next sentence is the answer to one of the questions.
Yeah, more likely something related to Blackthorn's machine critters.
But after thinking about it, it would be difficult to change from a current shard number's jumble to a classic shard by moongating from Trammel to Fel and doing some sort of conversion to items. Probably won't be the way they go. I don't think I'd want that, as it would limit what they could do on the classic game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know you both may be wrong.... I seem to recall a "Clicks, whirs and hums" as something the owl did in Clash of the Titans. But then I'm old enough to remember the original.

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
09:22 <Kestrel> * Kestrel clicks, whirrs, hums.
Doesn't this describe the process of how PCs unravel items?

clicks: you click an unravel button of Imbuing menu
whirrs: a targeting cursor emerges and you target items with it
hums: you can see a whirl of light and hear hums when you successfully unravel them

T

Trebr Drab

Doesn't this describe the process of how PCs unravel items?

clicks: you click an unravel button of Imbuing menu
whirrs: a targeting cursor emerges and you target items with it
hums: you can see a whirl of light and hear hums when you successfully unravel them
Well, I distinctly remember that being how it goes when you get PKed, too.
*clicks*: Uh Oh!
*Whirrs*: You spin about to try to run.
*hums*: the blades hum about you as you crumble to the floor.

So, really, it could be that. :lol:

F

Fink

I'm not a fan of in-game memorials to real-life deceased persons. I feel it trivialises their passing ("a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard"). It leaves it open to abuse from others, too. I've seen Gwenno and Clainin's memorials desecrated. I don't think people would stop short of doing the same to "real" memorials.

However I understand some people feel the need to have these markers in this environment, and to each their own. I would like to be able to craft and/or engrave gravestones for roleplay and decorative purposes.

B

bumblefutz

They launched a global chat system without an ignore function, but they have time to worry about interactive tombstones for RP graveyards. Something I spent years as a roleplayer without ever seeing anyway. Jesus.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as Engravable Gravestones go...

This would be a great idea, and I really hope they keep it simple and just give us engraving tools like we have for containers, armor, weapons, food, and all kinds of other stuff. These should be usable on both gravestones and pedestals.

Will some people abuse it? Yep. But most will use it for RP or real memorials. These will also be placed in peoples houses. If someone is making mean ones, then don't go in their house and look at it. If they are leaving them around public areas, then pick them up and throw them away or re-engrave them. Simple.