• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Searching for a News Reporter of a Special Kind

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Specialty Reporter - Role Player

Today TGN Stratics begins the search for a very special Reporter to cover RolePlaying on all shards. Applicants must be active and committed as 1 posting per week is required minimum. Applicants can be staff or a respected member of the community. The new RolePlayer Reporter will post into Quest & Event News on the main page of TGN Stratics as well as this forum, The White Stag Inn. We will consider two positions if necessary for this task. We realize that there are many prestigious communities residing on our shards.

Job Description - The Specialty News Reporters will:

1. Post with RP Header all Interviews, Reviews & Reports for your topic into The White Stag Inn.
  2. Interview members of your community.
  3. Review RP Communities, Towns, Guilds.
  4. Post your content on the RP Sidebar.
  5. Travel to all different shards.
  6. Be impartial and positive.

Please pm or email [email protected] or [email protected] to request an application.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Bump. Andra is a great boss. :D

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I don't speak for Andrasta, but I think that the emphasis on impartiality/positivity applies to your reports. Correct me if I’m wrong, Andra, but I think that reporters can share opinions on Stratics outside of the context of their reporting, as long as their opinions don’t alienate them from a portion of the community that they represent. Reporters are still human.

Is that the case?

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
edit: As enticing as the role sounds, it also sounds very hard! There's a lot of shards out there! :)
True! But Roleplaying isn't as hard as it seems and once you get the hang of it, it's a blast. You can -be- anything or anyone you want. Have any history you want. *grins* I love it, it's my favorite aspect of the game!!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't speak for Andrasta, but I think that the emphasis on impartiality/positivity applies to your reports. Correct me if I’m wrong, Andra, but I think that reporters can share opinions on Stratics outside of the context of their reporting, as long as their opinions don’t alienate them from a portion of the community that they represent. Reporters are still human.

Is that the case?
That was my impression anyway. God knows I've been told that enough times about Moderators, so I can only imagine that it applies also to the reporters.

And, by the way, this is one of the biggest reasons why I've never tried to be a Stratics reporter, despite how much I like writing and despite how much I like to attend events. Galen the character simply has no wish to be objective.

Granted, in UO we're blessed with objective good and evil. So I could have, for example, reported in-character on the Casca regime and described it as wholly evil and remained 100% objective. But, the existence of black and white doesn't leave out a million shades of gray in between. Not every RP story is about objective good and evil. Sometimes it's about people who simply don't like one another. An objective reporter would need to report on those shades when they existed.

And Galen the character, frankly, doesn't want to bother being objective, presenting all sides of a story.

True objectivity is a complete myth. But surely reporters need to strive for the unattainable goal. Else they're no different from editorialists!

*chuckles*

Sorry for rambling there; good luck in your search.

-Galen's player

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You could always create a true neutral persona and report with him. :)

C

canary

True! But Roleplaying isn't as hard as it seems and once you get the hang of it, it's a blast. You can -be- anything or anyone you want. Have any history you want. *grins* I love it, it's my favorite aspect of the game!!
Well who knows, I may give this 'role playing' a shot sometime. :thumbsup:

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Is that the case?
Absolutely Syrus...Reporters are still human and they have feelings just like their readers. I stress the impartiality and positivity because I like to see the emphasis on the subject rather than the reporter.

I read a very great deal and my favorite stories are always the ones where you get immersed and forget about the storyteller and get lost in the story. .

I believe our subjects deserve our best work and that work should not be clouded with our own opinions. I wish our focus to be fair & positive because it is the way I would want to be treated.

Cheers!
Andrasta

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read a very great deal and my favorite stories are always the ones where you get immersed and forget about the storyteller and get lost in the story. .

I believe our subjects deserve our best work and that work should not be clouded with our own opinions. I wish our focus to be fair & positive because it is the way I would want to be treated.

Cheers!
Andrasta
Indeed! And in all honesty, being fair and positive is the only way to keep interest in both the game and in RP. If the reporters wrote nothing but negative articles on guilds, items, events: Then who in their right mind would want to participate, or read about it?

Giving an equal playing field to all let's the individual reading the story make an informed choice on -their- own.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And, by the way, this is one of the biggest reasons why I've never tried to be a Stratics reporter, despite how much I like writing and despite how much I like to attend events. Galen the character simply has no wish to be objective.
There are times when objectivity is crucial. And then there are times when good storytelling is far more important than a lifeless representation of the facts.

"In the Shadow of Virtue: Daggers of Summer, Ghosts of Autumn" by Galen Knighthawke.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now would be a good time to ask about an application if you are interested in forming part of the new team.

M

Merci d'Rue

Greetings Pandora, I am one of the Writers for the UO taverns and Tales section.

Incidently Catskills was one of my next locations to visit.

I want everyone to know that we are planning on visiting every shard and writing about the Roleplay going on everywhere, unfortunately this takes time.

We are building and growing and soon we will be visiting you!