• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Origin to be Published

G

Wooohoo!

Pixelcrackheads everywhere, your dealer is coming.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
*grins* Yeah kinda afraid to turn anything in just for testing purposes but what the heck, it's only pixels! *laughs*

Oh I *Thought* Drac said they were moving the housing changes to Pub 53.....but I have a spare house I'm gonna test it with anyway just in case.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Posted to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoherald.com/news/>uoherald.com:</a><blockquote><span class=osi></p>

<font size=+1>Origin to be Published </br></font> <font size=-1>Jeremy Dalberg </font> 01 May 2008 15:16:06

At 3:30PM on Thursday, May 01 Origin will be taken down to be updated with Publish 52. Estimated downtime is apporoximately one hour.</p> For complete publish notes, see <a target="_blank" href=http://update.uo.com/design_590.html> Here </A>

G

Housing changes should have been pulled, not enough time to test them. We never even got to test a single IDOC. I tried to do some testing just now and got hit with the "you tried to place too many times, try again later". I only did it like a dozen times. How can you position a house just right like this?

G

I agree.. we should be able to see a RED area on the VERY space that is offending.. So we can know what and where if we need to move it over. Less errors placing if I KNOW not to place over a rock under a bush.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah JC I am VERY bad at placing houses, I've had to try at LEAST a dozen times before I got a house to place sometimes....it's rather irritating!

G

I counted it the restriction. You can only attempt placement 20 times and then it locks you out for over 10 minutes. I'll post when I know the exact length of time.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I just noticed on test there is a gate that says IDOC Test 4:30 PM EST

So lets make sure we are there to see what happens.

G

Wonder if they fixed the slippery snake skins to properly drop with random colors. Or if they changed the Ophidian Journals so they're worth more than the 5x as common Ophidian Orders.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I also went to my area on test and tried to place and I to got the same message.I had to wait what 5 to 10 mins or so to try again not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
You only had to wait 10 minutes? I am coming up on 30 now and still can't open the tool.

D

Daren Athlorn

There's nothing wrong with the timer for house tools, it's suppose to be there to prevent scripting.

If you can't correctly place a house after 20 tries, then you should consider some contact lenses. If it's a matter of maximizing your house size, place a small plot, then plan out a larger plot, then replace the larger plot later, or wait for publish 53 and use the house resize option.

If we're speaking of IDOC's, that's what makes it random, you need to plan out when you place, so no more spamming house placement using a scripting program or a macro loop, that's the purpose of the changes.

It's that simple.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Housing changes should have been pulled, not enough time to test them. We never even got to test a single IDOC. I tried to do some testing just now and got hit with the "you tried to place too many times, try again later". I only did it like a dozen times. How can you position a house just right like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree!
Housing changes should have been pulled, not enough time to test them.

..there are more "important iussue" with house placement on TC...

F

Fayled Dhreams

<center>

<blockquote><hr>

comma's

[/ QUOTE ]

</center>

Commas can now be seen in checks (instead of 1000000, you will see 1,000,000)

JUST check's ?

*whew !*

*shakes head*

come on .....

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i forgot the dumb tickets, lol
a cumulative ticket or points, like the old clean up britannia'd be better
...great job dev, my compliments!

G

<blockquote><hr>

There's nothing wrong with the timer for house tools

[/ QUOTE ]
30 minutes later and I still can't open the menu.

D

Daren Athlorn

<blockquote><hr>

30 minutes later and I still can't open the menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps they'll disclose the amount of time, or if it's random, and thinking more on it, more than 20 minutes seems to be a bit much to me too, although I still think 20 tries is enough to place a house.

As for any other issues and bugs... the publish can stay on test center for 1,000 years, but if we don't report them to the devs, then they won't be fixed regardless, so if anyone finds something that's really out of place, make sure to speak up and pinpoint what it is like some people have already done.

G

I think it took 45 minutes for the timer to wear off on my character.

Just opening the menu put me back into lockout mode. I didn't even try to place a house. How wonderful. So if you open it and then scroll to the 18x18 page, there goes 5 of your house placing chances I think.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
On track with this post.

TO DRACONI OR ANYONE ELSE ON THE DEV TEAM

I have been informed that the donation box in the guard tower is not there...on Origin.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree; push them out to about publish 70

D

Daren Athlorn

<blockquote><hr>

I think it took 45 minutes for the timer to wear off on my character.

Just opening the menu put me back into lockout mode. I didn't even try to place a house. How wonderful. So if you open it and then scroll to the 18x18 page, there goes 5 of your house placing chances I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true then it definitely needs to be fixed, 20 chances to place a house is fine, 4 isn't, and the time should be halved (no more than 20 minutes)

G

Water trough bug is still not fixed. I wonder if they placed one to check that or it was just a coincidence. Also when the house decayed only 1/4 of it did for me. I rarely see that bug, perhaps the new flashy effects had something to do with it.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Currently testing the trade-ins and subsequent points recieved for each.

Slippery Snake Skins are supposed to give 450 Pts. are only giving 400.
Gold Sovereigns are giving the correct 10,000Pts.

Continuing to test.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Further testing shows the Journals were upped from 200-2500 so that's good.
Copper Coins-100
Silver Coins-500
Rubble-800
Berserker's Scythe-10,000
Plain Shield/Sword-100

So far the skins are the only ones that differ, that and the journals were raised.

Good stuff.

G

These housing changes are so messed up. After you wait potentially for hours and it collapses, you're going to have to wait 20+ minutes to place? I thought it would be 20 minutes maximum. All worthwhile loot is generally gone in under 5 minutes for the largest houses.

One nice thing about IDOCs was if you stuck it out you could get rewarded. But now after it falls there is a huge window in which anyone can show up and go for the spot. You have next to no chance at all of getting it with a ~45 minute cool down timer. This won't even help casual players because they'll use up all their chances to place while the professionals space them out and use as many accounts as possible.

Then on top of this there wasn't any changes to demolition pending!

*Added*

On further contemplation these changes are absolute bull. They didn't fix the bug that causes you to crash sometimes when the house falls. They added a flashy explosion which is going to cause tons of lag at a large IDOC (probably would have crashed Atlantic that one time a GM had to show up and tell us the shard was unstable at a Castle decay). They have dumbed down placing so only the incredibly lucky or those with 20 accounts will get them. They made it so replacing your own houses is going to be more difficult. They didn't fix the bug that makes it so only part or none of the house disappears.

This sucks all the fun out of house placement and does absolutely nothing to fix the complaints people had about them.

*Added 2*

It is 50 minutes later and people still can't place at the test IDOC.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Remember the times are going to be RANDOM! I think it's perfect!!!

Get this...a house falls, 3 hours later someone places...

Next day..a house falls....3 hours later noone can place....3 DAYS later finally!

Next day..a house falls, 45 minutes later someone places

It's SUPPOSED to be random....the loot is set to be script-proof, the plot set to disallow script placers...the housing tools have a set amount of uses before they break, new players younger then 15 days cannot place...Scriptors have a max of what.....3-4 toons at the IDOCS...that's accounts that HAVE to be older then 15 days...I think this change is great.

D

Daren Athlorn

The times on the IDOC's and the housing tool just seem to be a bit...much. Anything more than 20-30 minutes and it gets to be extremely boring and tenuous.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Next day..a house falls....3 hours later noone can place....3 DAYS later finally!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, those people at Luna houses waiting around for 3 days to place are going to be ecstatic about the changes. As if enough people didn't get pissed off a demolition pending houses sitting around for 8 measly hours, now you want them to suffer for 3 days.

G

<blockquote><hr>

JUST check's ?

*whew !*

*shakes head*

come on .....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...yeah, hoping that doesn't mean the addition of commas will be LIMITED to checks...on vendors is another place where we REALLY need them.

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

JUST check's ?

*whew !*

*shakes head*

come on .....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...yeah, hoping that doesn't mean the addition of commas will be LIMITED to checks...on vendors is another place where we REALLY need them.

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree on this. I've seen many vendors try to use 1's as prices in hopes of people miscounting the digits... paying 111k instead of 11k. I cast my vote to have this changed on vendors in a future publish.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

Remember the times are going to be RANDOM! I think it's perfect!!!

Get this...a house falls, 3 hours later someone places...

Next day..a house falls, 45 minutes later someone places

It's SUPPOSED to be random....the loot is set to be script-proof, the plot set to disallow script placers...the housing tools have a set amount of uses before they break, new players younger then 15 days cannot place...Scriptors have a max of what.....3-4 toons at the IDOCS...that's accounts that HAVE to be older then 15 days...I think this change is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larisa "gets it" ...
Random/unpredictable drops .... with a period of looting (while you wait/guess about the placing timer)

Meets most of the ideas and requirements chewed and hammered out ...*shrugs* back then when it was a "hot topic".

This publish implements several changes to prevent house placement exploits.

* 15 day character age requirement to place or trade a house (Check! temp accounts)

* Water barrels/magic fields/etc will no longer block house placement (Check! barrels and pitchers)

* When a house is placed on top of a moongate, the placer will get a message about placement being blocked, and the moongate will be destroyed (at both ends.)
first I've heard of gates as a problem ... but .... maybe better to disallow gates(for "small local area") ... like placement ... doesn't sound as bad as barrel's were ... but ... lrc suit and a script/determination ...
... *shrugs* ... NO gates castable.

o IDOC behavior (houses that collapse through decay) When an IDOC drops, housing cannot be placed on the lot for a random amount of time
(Check! ... sweet)

o Items that drop from the IDOC will have protections against scripted looting
(Check! double Check! depending on implementation this ALONE should "put paid to" to this publish)

* House placement tool will have a cooldown if used too many times in a given time period (Check! combats scritters AND UOA macro's)

* Must now wait one hour after building a home before demolishing it (previously 15 minutes) (Check! and depending on how "re-sizing" ends up working out ...
I can see a way that THIS works against the multi account scritters .... especially if there's a delay &gt;after&lt; "demolish" BEFORE a placement with acct/char/tool is allowed)

Two ... three months ...let it "settle in" .. (become familiar) ...
time to go after all the "perma placed" wastes of real-estate

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Fixed a bug where players that use the Basket of Herbs could lose 20 points of cooking when the effect wears off instead of 10 points of cooking.

TESTED CONFIRMED WORKING PROPERLY

Players should no longer be able to stable pets while a pet trade gump is open.

TESTED CONFIRMED WORKING

Fixed an issue with Ronin not being able to access secures in their own houses if permissions were set to "guild"

Never had an issue with this but all ronins in my RP guild are able to access *guild only* secures.

When a monster casts Curse on players the icon should now show in the buff icon tool bar

TESTED CONFIRMED WORKING (Darn liches)

Fixed a bug where some "Sacks of Flour" could not be used as a cooking ingredient.

Never had an issue with this and still don't, sacks of flour seem to be working as intended.

Fixed a bug with the weight of stacks of bola balls being incorrect.

Trying to locate my bola's, when I do will let you know.

YES! WORKING AS INTENDED I LOVE THAT! DO put comma's in ALL prices, vendors and stuff but the checks is a good start.

D

Daren Athlorn

People just placed now on the Test Center IDOC.

So that's around 1 hour and 45 minutes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Larisa "gets it" ...
Random/unpredictable drops .... with a period of looting (while you wait/guess about the placing timer)

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you both don't get it. This won't stop scripting and will just piss of non-scripters into letting the scripters place. One hour and 40 minutes of staring at an open spot trying to place? A lot of people have no idea when an IDOC will collapse. So instead of randomizing the timer prior to it falling, you now have it randomized after.

These changes are awful and feedback should have been able to be provided before they went out to Origin. To me this is one of the biggest design screw ups since...............I can't even remember. To purposefully kill something claiming it fixes scripting when it doesn't, it is disgraceful.

G

I personally think they should randomize the fall time too. That would be interesting.

G

Hey Jeremy, I found a Exploit to your house placement thingy. Give me a reward.....hehe

You tied the 20 attempts to place a house to the house tool, "I had 8 of them", as a total, and to the player. So no matter how many different tools you tried, the total is 20 attempts. BUT YOU DID NOT TIE IT TO THE ACCOUNT.

Log in all 5 players on account and log them out by the IDOC. Log in player 1, attempt 20 placements, Recall to inn, log out, and log in player 2 on your account, and you get 20 more attempts to place a house. I just tried it 100 times. hehehe

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

JUST check's ?

*whew !*

*shakes head*

come on .....

[/ QUOTE ]

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh my, that sucks. I was really, really hoping for vendors too. I am getting sick and tired of counting 0's whenever I put something big on one of my vendors.

I

imported_Traveller

In the list I cannot find the inability to vote in factions for characters youger than 15 days. Is that just an oversight in the patch notes or do I have to worry about faction election piloted by trial accounts?

P

Peladon_LA

i just want to know one thing, when u click on the house placement tool and your locked out of it, does it still display your bank balance? some of us only keep the tools in out backpacks to check our balance to make sure of how many times we can die (or be killed for that matter)

G

<blockquote><hr>

i just want to know one thing, when u click on the house placement tool and your locked out of it, does it still display your bank balance?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you can't open the menu at all.

G

When shall the Ophidians starts dropping rations on the non reds. IF that is the case at all.

I

imported_Loquacious Wrath

<blockquote><hr>

I only did it like a dozen times. How can you position a house just right like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A dozen times for placing a 7x7? I just finished reading all your complaining up to and including page 3. I think your arguement is not valid because anybody can place a small plot in less than 10 tries.

Perhaps you could further explain your gripe?

G

I ran into the limit just trying to do a couple placements to see if they fixed the block bug. It came as a complete surprise. If I hit the limit doing that then placing larger houses is going to become such a pain. Placing a 7x7 in an open field and placing an 18x18 that only fits in one exact spot are two different things.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I only did it like a dozen times. How can you position a house just right like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A dozen times for placing a 7x7? I just finished reading all your complaining up to and including page 3. I think your arguement is not valid because anybody can place a small plot in less than 10 tries.

Perhaps you could further explain your gripe?

[/ QUOTE ]

It can take a lot of tries if there's stuff blocking the house placement in one way or another. I remember spending dozens and dozens of tries to get my mountain house placed, apparently even though there was supposed to be room for more according to the house placement rules, it still didn't allow it and it had to be even smaller.

I

imported_Loquacious Wrath

Ok, but if you first claim the spot with a 7x7, can't you then use the resize option? You could attempt to resize several times a day until you get it just right. Also, you could do a little research and use some graph paper to plot down exactly where you can occupy, thus eliminating "blind" placing attempts.

I have land barriers, house barriers, and city limit barriers that required a day of hand-drawing/planning. I now know exactly how big and where I can place using bandages as ground markers. Items no longer block house placement anymore.

Why should the developers accommodate someone like yourself when the means to place are readily available? I believe the need to stop scripting supercedes your lack of time or desire to research.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok, but if you first claim the spot with a 7x7, can't you then use the resize option?

[/ QUOTE ]
The resize option was removed. All housing changes should have been pulled for further testing. We didn't even get to test one IDOC before it was published.

A

Africanus

Who cares, bring in the new changes and let the whoppin begin. Now that the changes will be in there will be no more excuses for those persons who can't handle the pace.

All the nonsense and further changes can be handled as we go along.

Goodluck to all fellow guinea pigs!

I

imported_Mister E.

<blockquote><hr>

Dont you own a house yet? Whats the big deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is just letting off steam. The idea of randomization doesnt seem to sit to well for him. Personally the idea is lovely to me, as it means more time to loot and more chances for the average Joe/Jane to place. The part JC forgets to think about is how once placed the devs. plan on making the plot expandable. (next pub changes are slated) One issue at a time I say, so just deal with the discrepancies until next pub and give a big hooray to the exit stage left
for the placement scripters.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Personally the idea is lovely to me, as it means more time to loot and more chances for the average Joe/Jane to place.

[/ QUOTE ]
The average player is going to wait ~2 hours to place a house? I don't think so. Especially when they are up against professionals and scripters who will have huge advantages, such as working out the best methods to space placements and using multiple accounts.

I thought there was going to be some ingenious new method to combat scripting but this does almost nothing. The difficulty to scripters is raised a little but casual players are going to suffer greatly. Before with water barrels you had a real chance to fighting scripting, now there is nothing.