• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] New Producer for Ultima Online

G

Congratulations to everyone on the UO Team. Also a special congratulations to Lady Lu on having a new baby.

Here's to the future. Cheers!

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

Wilki's a good guy and all but to say that they released over-powered items, templates, weapons, etc with each expansion and not do it intentionally, is a slap in the face to the integrity of the players

[/ QUOTE ]

The integrity of what players? The players who quickly tested until they found these imbalances and used them to one hit kill people? Devs don't make players cheat...players cheat on their own. "Oh but the devs put it there so they have to use it!" Bull$^$*. Players choose to cheat, players choose to script. The "Overpowered items" just gave them the ability to do so. Given the current state of UO...I wouldn't say crap about player integrity.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Have a nice day Pre-Crisis!
*warm fuzzy hugs*

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww!! I love you too sweetie!!

You see: Aile and Pre-Crisis in a field of daisies, running towards each other in slow motion, with outstretched limbs, longing for each other SUDDENLY Pre-Crisis whips out a poisoned dagger

You see: Aile spasm uncontrollably

G

Welcome Darkscribe.

Sorry for all the negative inputs on this forum. We just love UO and hate to see it keep losing players and we hate the facts, that we see us self play less and mostly hang on this forum hoping for some kind of miracles that will safe UO and bring it back to it's former glorie.

Sorry that we had lost hope and feer the worse when we get a new lead. A new lead with new ideas for UO had not always been good for us, even when all had shared the same goal, to bring back UO.

I wish you and your teams all luck, you will need it. The game is so messed up from the last 8 years trying.

We do not need more land, we already have enough, tweak the one we have.
We don't need more dungeons, we already have to many and the old ones may need some love
We don't need more items, we already have far to many to fill our houses
We don't need more single player systems like BODs, Plant systemor crafting that take alot of time before you get the item you want. We are losing players this way, players need time to interact, to hang out with each others, to enjoy the game. If I have alot of work I need to do when I login UO I may just logout again and take a long walk RL to relax after RL work.
The game need to be more easy, also for the ones who only have 10-30 min at the time to play between RL stuff like taking care of kids or business.

If I go back to before UO:R, we did not have alot land, towns and dungeons so there was players everywhere, in town, in the wilderness, in the player towns and in the dungeons. You could easy find someone to play with, you did not feel lonely.

The large servers we have now need so much more players to bring back the community we had before.

You had got an impossible job but I really wish you will make it a success both for you, EA and the players.

U

UORadio.com

Congradulations Darkscribe and MrTact! I am confident by the excitement you seem to be exhibiting in your post Darkscribe that you are sincere in what it is you are planning on doing for Ultima Online and I look forward to seeing many great things coming our way under your [Darkscribe] leadership

Also I did not see anyone here yet congradulate Randy Eichman (the new Live Team Engineer) as of yet but congradulations to you too!

U

UORadio.com

<blockquote><hr>

I'f hes that same marketing guy that I heard on the first UOradio show from the ML launch, this guy is awesome.!!

P.S. Long live the drunk guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Aaron "Darkscribe" Cohen was heard speaking at the Washington D.C. UO Town Hall Meeting and can be heard speaking 103 minutes and 31 seconds into the recording of that event in which you can download from http://www.uoradio.com in case you did not get a chance to tune in for that event. The Washington D.C. UO Town Hall event was back on June 2nd, 2006 on a Thursday.

My thoughts on the guy? I thought he was very upbeat and a good spirited guy.

U

UORadio.com

<blockquote><hr>

With each publish, each expansion I lose more faith in this game and the people making the key decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am not sure if a Pre-UO:R shard would make you happy again like it would me and others but I sure hope this marketting guy who is now the producer can see the potential market for a Pre-UO:R shard and introduce us to one during his reign. If any producer is going to sign off on this idea of launching a Pre-UO:R shard, it will be this guy, Aaron "Darkscribe" Cohen.

This guy after all has apparently been playing this game a VERY LONG time and so with that said he knows and understands why some players like myself and others would want a Pre-UO:R shard.

G

Gerbo

Anyone thought about bringing back Raph Koster to save this game?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I often get asked, "Hey Wilki, did you see the thread about...?"

[/ QUOTE ]

And then you groan and say 'Not those U Hallers again!

*slaps leg*

Gosh I'm so funny...

Anyways, I've met Aaron twice now. He was a very upbeat guy and seemed really into UO, and I think he'll do a great job as a producer.

Congratulations on the promotions guys!

Lord Djinn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkscribe,
Please create a PvP Char and play UO on a shard so we can kill you. This way you can get hands on experience at what works and what not works. Congrats and good luck.

G

If I am not mistaken, was he not also the Samurai Empire video Ninja?

:p

Aaron has been around for a long time!

Good luck to him!

kanid99

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"The game need to be more easy, also for the ones who only have 10-30 min at the time to play between RL stuff like taking care of kids or business."

I think one great idea would be to set the way certain game math functions work based on the amount of time you spend playing the game (average daily). So if you are someone who plays only 30 minutes per day, then you would have say a greater artifact chance, or a greater skill gain rate than someone who plays obsessively..

Of course then you open another can of worms on whether its fair or not, or whether those who put in more time in the game deserve more reward.

A

Apocalyptica

<blockquote><hr>

Our new Live Team lead designer is someone you already know, Tim "MrTact" Keating. Tim was a pure engineer mere weeks ago, but now he is officially the creative visionary for all things UO Live. He'll still code here and there, but these days he's mostly the official director of fun for UO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean there is a vacancy in the programming department? I know a mean coder you know....
But, honestly, Mr Tact is not coding anymore? He will miss it for sure. You can never take the coding out of a programmer. Mr Tact, get back on your keyboard, you are needed there. But also, congratz to Mr Tact. You have come a long way from server programmer. And congratz to you to becomming our new producer. Hope you realize what you have let yourself in for

<blockquote><hr>

We don't need more single player systems like BODs, Plant systemor crafting that take alot of time before you get the item you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself. I do not believe that this is killing UO at all. I love all the bods and have loads of contact with other players because of that. Just think of trying to swap bods to get that large bods filled. I believe the main reason people leave is just because other MMORPG's come out and people love trying out new things. If this other MMORPG is better suited for what these people want, they will stay with that. Simple as that.

D

DarkOgham

My condolences to you, Dark. With Mr. Tact running UO from a technical perspective the odd are that your tenure and UO will be short lived.

B

Binky_EA

Not to throw fuel on this fire, but he does have a (or several) PVP characters and he has probably owned you once or twice. He is no noob at UO or PVP. You are in good hands with him at the helm.

And yes, he was the ninja (Not as good as my hockey stick ninja) and he has been responsible for bringing UO back to the “line of sight” for the EA Execs. UO is in a good place right now, just read his letter and compare that to the other recent news from EA (concerning financials and staff reductions) I would say that UO is in a pretty good spot.

And I don't know if it has been answered, but yes, scripters and cheaters are HIGH on the list of things we will be taking action against in the coming months.

Yes, some of you may not like the sound of some of the PVP changes, some of you love the idea, but you won’t know how it actually plays out until it is all on test. MrTack is a very smart man and he loves this game. His changes are for the best and I think the final product (after it has been tested) will be a huge win for everyone and should make PVP a lot of fun for everyone.

This year holds lots of great things for UO. I think you will all be pleasantly surprised.

T

TheyCallMeUO

This is the best advice I can give you since an OSI, and various other server player since late 97'. You want to bring back PvP, UOR//Pre-UOR Server w/ No Trammel of course. You want to add some spice to the PvP, look back into the good ol' Abyss Test documents, and the Post UOR Factions documents, and find out what went wrong, work from there. Abyss test was a favorite server among many players during their servers down time. However the mechanics of this probably would need to be altered to something more along the lines of modern day factions. Your the Devs. You do the math.

T

TiamatRoar

<blockquote><hr>

I don't know if it has been answered, but yes, scripters are HIGH on the list of things we will be taking action against in the coming months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay. I know that in general contrary to popular belief the dev team probably wants cheaters gone, but it's good to see scripting specifically acknowledged as well (since many don't really see it as 'cheating', heresay, even though it is)

K

Kith Kanan

<blockquote><hr>

Not to throw fuel on this fire, but he does have a (or several) PVP characters and he has probably owned you once or twice. He is no noob at UO or PVP. You are in good hands with him at the helm.

And yes, he was the ninja (Not as good as my hockey stick ninja) and he has been responsible for bringing UO back to the “line of sight” for the EA Execs. UO is in a good place right now, just read his letter and compare that to the other recent news from EA (concerning financials and staff reductions) I would say that UO is in a pretty good spot.

And I don't know if it has been answered, but yes, scripters and cheaters are HIGH on the list of things we will be taking action against in the coming months.

Yes, some of you may not like the sound of some of the PVP changes, some of you love the idea, but you won’t know how it actually plays out until it is all on test. MrTack is a very smart man and he loves this game. His changes are for the best and I think the final product (after it has been tested) will be a huge win for everyone and should make PVP a lot of fun for everyone.

This year holds lots of great things for UO. I think you will all be pleasantly surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we all hope your right.. and we pray....
Because if you mess it up , I'm not sure how many peopel will be left to witness the second try... I've had all my uber gear reduced to worthless shid once , and I'm not sure I'll stand for it a second time

U

UORadio.com

<blockquote><hr>

And yes, he was the ninja (Not as good as my hockey stick ninja) and he has been responsible for bringing UO back to the &amp;#8220;line of sight&amp;#8221; for the EA Execs. UO is in a good place right now, just read his letter and compare that to the other recent news from EA (concerning financials and staff reductions) I would say that UO is in a pretty good spot.

Yes, some of you may not like the sound of some of the PVP changes, some of you love the idea, but you won&amp;#8217;t know how it actually plays out until it is all on test. MrTack is a very smart man and he loves this game. His changes are for the best and I think the final product (after it has been tested) will be a huge win for everyone and should make PVP a lot of fun for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing these issues addressed and am very excited to hear that in the coming months this is going to be one of the major focuses in addressing. In addition to this, I have a great feeling about the changing of the guards on the Ultima Online team and have a great deal of confidence in them all to be able to do the things that are right for the game.

I

imported_DarkVoid

<blockquote><hr>

MrTack is a very smart man and he loves this game. His changes are for the best and I think the final product (after it has been tested) will be a huge win for everyone and should make PVP a lot of fun for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the heck is "MrTack"?
I *hope* that's just a typo!

Anyway, good luck on the PvP changes and good luck on getting it all ironed out in the publishes afterwards.

Cheers ...

DarkVoid

D

danno

what shard does he play? i never seen or heard of him till few days ago.

J

Justy

Hey Bimky!

Who the heck is Mr. Tack?!

All these new devs, I can't keep up anymore!

A

Apocalyptica

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I for one looking forward to it. It's quite exciting in a way

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Binky, you are such a Homer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he's got great dimples, lol.

G

georgemarvin2001

Congratulations, Mr. Tact! I hope the 9th anniversary edition is as much fun as Mondain's Legacy. That said, I have to put in a few words about the PvP changes: I would MUCH rather have proficiencies than Diminishing Returns for armor; it was just too difficult to figure out what the end resists would be; having to look at a chart before deciding what was worth looting would be a real headache. If you really want to balance PvP, remember that one of the big problems is that only a few people can afford those ultra-rare 30 million gold piece +120 magery scrolls and hats and ornaments of the Magician, and, no matter how much we try, we just aren't lucky enough to win the artie/PS lottery.

S

Seetee

That's good to hear, really.
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
You'd be surprised yourself to see how easy it is to 'pleasantly surprise' a lot of the older players.
I'm quite certain that I do not speak for myself alone when I say I would not only be pleasantly surprised, but rather totally thrilled if that meant we're not going to be force-fed yet another 'all new and exciting' expansion for once, but are actually going to be able to marvel at all the Devs' skills in healing this game.
Just keep the new content a little tame until the game has recovered from some of the ugly tremors that shook it through the last couple of add-ons.

Looking forward to seeing you in action.

Lord Djinn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I beg your pardon. Having a New Producer for Ultima Online that actually plays PvP is a requirement if he/she wants to knock the [censored] out of the can. I would love to get "owned once or twice" by any UO employee! What better way to make UO a much better quality game. Hands on testing.

Matter of fact, I call out all "UO employee's" vs. us, the "UO Clients". Capture the flag is the name of the game. What do you think? Ready to put your game on? I'm the first to join the team. Let's get ready to rumble.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Not to throw fuel on this fire, but he does have a (or several) PVP characters and he has probably owned you once or twice. He is no noob at UO or PVP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he play a mage or a dexxer? Or both?

I

imported_Calina_Rhiannon

<blockquote><hr>

Hey Bimky!

Who the heck is Mr. Tack?!

All these new devs, I can't keep up anymore!

[/ QUOTE ]

And just who is 'Bimky'?