• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] In Remembrance: Gary Gygax - The UO Dev Team

G

<DIV class=categoryIcon>
<FONT size=4>In Remembrance: Gary Gygax (1938 – 2008)</FONT> </DIV> <DIV class=storyInfo> <DIV class=author>The UO Team</DIV> <DIV class=date>26 Mar 2008 17:11:07
</DIV> <DIV style="CLEAR: both"></DIV> <DIV class=teaser>
As many of our loyal fans may know, Gary Gygax, co-creator of D&amp;D and inspiration to generations of gamers, has recently passed away.

Tracing the line from pen and paper roleplaying to Ultima Online reminds us of own legends and creators. Yet their inspiration had a source: where would we be without the enthusiasm and love that a small group of adventurers showed with but a handful of dice and some pads of paper, so long ago?

And while we cannot easily express our feelings (although <a target="_blank" href=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html>this</A> feels about right), we wish to pay our own sort of tribute.

Therefore, let it be known that within the darkest depths of the dungeon Doom a new power has awakened! For the Dungeon Master has established a place for his games – games of life and death, waiting for the unwary and daring alike to tread into his sanctuary. </DIV></DIV>

M

MistyMagik

In real life I had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know Gary in the late 90s till his death. He was a wonderful man, a brilliant strategist, and his imagination knew no bounds. Gary was best known not for his gaming, but for challenging the people he knew to think faster with more creativity than ever before. He taught us all to stretch the boundaries of the rules and have fun doing that. As a teacher I used Dungeons and Dragons in the classroom for lesson as well as rainy day activities and I know many children who became readers simply because they found a need for it....to play D&amp;D!

So Gary wherever you are at this moment, please save a spot in your next game for me.