• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] FoF: Triple Digits

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Posted to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoherald.com/news/>uoherald.com's</a> <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday100.html>Five on Friday:</a> <blockquote><span class=osi>

<font size=+1>FoF: Triple Digits
</font> Jeremy Dalberg
07 Mar 2008 18:07:23

Frostwood rarity, stable slots, and more in this 100th FoF!

Does the skill decrease from Discord and -skill items (like Mage weapons) stack??"</p>

Yes, the two effects can stack.</p>

"Can we go over the spawn rates for the various woods? This came up at the Town Hall - people are complaining that the higher-end woods seem disproportionately rare." </p>

Leurocian and I scoured the lumberjacking and mining code and discovered that the spawn rate for Frostwood is 1% (as intended.) We couldn't find any bugs or inconsistencies that would make it spawn any less - it's marginally more rare than Valorite, but we're talking four tenths of a percent more rare. The other rare woods are 2%, 3%, and 5% as intended.</p>

However.</p>

There is a factor that could make Frostwood harder to gather. It's kind of twisted, so bear with me. See, each 8x8 area has a finite amount of resources - be it ore or wood. The amount is comparable between mining and lumberjacking, but there is a critical difference. Each swing of the axe nets you 10 wood, whereas each swing of the pick nets you at most 2 metal. This means you can drain a node in fewer attempts in lumberjacking than in mining.</p>

Why does this matter? Because you're not guaranteed colored resources each swing - you have a 40% (or 60% if you're elven) chance to get colored wood or ore with each swing. If you take fewer swings, you get fewer chances to get colored wood before the node is dry. If that's one of the 1 in 100 8x8 areas that has Frostwood, you may well get no Frostwood at all. Whereas with mining, you get a lot more chances to get at least some colored ore. This can affect how much colored wood you actually get, and it REALLY affects your perception of how much of the rarer woods there are - you may never know that that was a Frostwood tree, and it may randomize away before you can try it again.</p>

There is a simple solution to this - make Lumberjacking give less wood per chop. Pluses are more chances to get colored wood, comparable to metal, and more chances to get a skill gain. Minuses, well, it just takes more chops to get the same amount of wood. Thoughts? Questions? <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoherald.com/feedback/index.php> Let Us Know! </A></p>

"The Playguide page on Animal Taming makes no mention of the additional 4% skill loss if the animal is paralyzed during taming. It would also be useful to confirm whether discordance or peacemaking during taming will also result in skill loss."</p>

There is an additional 4% skill loss penalty after taming if the creature is paralyzed, and I'll add that to the Playguide page - thanks for the catch! Leurocian also checked, and Discord and Peacemaking have no effect on the creature's post-taming skills.</p>

"Can we have more stable slots?"</p>

This is the kind of question that I usually skip for the Five on Friday, but what with the 5-slot dragons and purple bunnies and all, it's quite the hot topic. The answer is, we'd like to, but there is some research we need to do before we can add something like that. What will the impact be on our server storage space? Are there any optimizations we'd have to make to handle that new volume of data? This is the sort of thing we'd need to look into, and we don't have the answers off the top of our heads. It may well be something we do - as I said, we'd like to - but we can't make any promises right now.</p>

What's To Come:</p>

There are a couple of substantial tweaks to pet balls and pet AI coming:</p>

Pet Ball Changes:</p> [*] Pet summoning balls should unhide the summoner when attempting to summon her pet. [*]Pet summoning balls should have a couple second casting animation with the chance to disrupt like other spellcasting. [*]Pet summoning balls should have a reuse delay of 15 seconds. [*]Pet summoning balls cannot be used while in animal form.

Here is how the new AI should behave:</p>

Commands:</p>

Guard - The pet should guard as it does currently.</p>

Follow - The pet should follow. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked. (unless it is guarding)</p>

Come - The pet should walk to. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked. (unless it is guarding)</p>

Kill/Attack - The pet will attack its target as it does currently.</p>

Stop - The pet will stop attacking. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked, and may wander.</p>

Stay - The pet will stay where it is currently, and will not attack anything, even if it is attacked. (unless it is guarding)</p>

Note: The pet will revert out of passive mode if the pet's owner dies, if the pet is stabled, traded, player character transfers, player and pet log off, etc.</p>

QA is currently reviewing these changes internally. Once the changes pass internal review, they should appear on a public Test Center for an upcoming publish.</p>

Examples of new macro command combinations:</p>

You can tell your pet to guard while it's following you. This will put it in autodefend mode for itself and its master.</p>

To turn off guarding, tell your pet to stop or kill/attack.</p>

So for passive follow, you could do 'pet name' stop, 'pet name' follow me, and it will ignore attacks on you or your pet.</p>

For autodefend follow, you could do 'pet name' guard, 'pet name' follow me or 'pet name' follow me then 'pet name' guard. It doesn't matter what order you initiate the guard command. While your guarded, autodefend should work as normal. The pet will follow you in this case, but will fight whatever attacks you or itself. </p>

JFansite News</p>

and <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoforums.com/showthread.php?t=39811> recordings of the Event! Thanks, guys!</p>

I am out of the office for a couple of days - Bob will be covering for me while I'm gone. Have a good weekend!</p>

Jeremy </p>

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

There is a simple solution to this - make Lumberjacking give less wood per chop. Pluses are more chances to get colored wood, comparable to metal, and more chances to get a skill gain. Minuses, well, it just takes more chops to get the same amount of wood. Thoughts? Questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about just increasing the chance to get colored wood? Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The wood and ore gathering comparisons are way off. It reads like if I were to mine ore then that chunk of the mountain were to transform to a tree, the yield would be identical from ingots to wood. I think that is off. In fact I know it is off.

In the many many years I spent exploring the land builing rune libraries to all ore/wood locations, I kept my prize books based on how much yield I could get from the largest amounts of mineable/chopable nodes that could be reached from the same area. Runes in these books were marked by #of nodes + total swings of the axe/pick per recall location. I have a bloodwood (well used to have it now its rngwood) that I can swing 60 times (600wood) before it dries up. I have a 72 swing rngwood from an old oak spawn.

These are both trammel. Never, not once in 7 years of mining every fel/tram toon mountain range in all my journeys have a I ever came close to any node or group of nodes that gave me 720 ingots (360 swings of the pic). In fact even without the discovery of those odd trees have I ever came close to more equal or more yield/node than iron to wood. Wood always produces more resources.

Plus yall aren't even including the fact that there are mining tools that can upgrade a mining node two level of ore. Wod has nothing like that.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Plus yall aren't even including the fact that there are mining tools that can upgrade a mining node two level of ore. Wod has nothing like that.
hmmm ... think you might be on to something there ...

For the math ... Number of "mineable" tiles ... vs ... number of "chopable" trees ...

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

There is a simple solution to this - make Lumberjacking give less wood per chop. Pluses are more chances to get colored wood, comparable to metal, and more chances to get a skill gain. Minuses, well, it just takes more chops to get the same amount of wood. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Great solution, more clicks of the mouse button!
Just what UO needs.

G

I'd like to see a magical hatchet similar to the mining tools.

G

If I understand the proposed change correctly, the total number of boards harvested before a tree resets would remain the same, it would just take more chops to harvest that amount of wood? I'm not convinced that slowing down lumberjacking would increase the perception of how much wood is out there (well, except that the human quantity-bonus would come closer to balancing the elf bonus ... oh wait - unless this is what the change idea is about?).

Talking to a few random people, I think there's also historical behavior issue: the rare trees were so rare originally that people got themselves trained to scour great swaths of woodlands to seek out that one tree they wanted and harvest it heavily. Post-randomization, this has led to people trying to hunt down and deplete good trees (which quickly clears the land of almost all special woods leaving nothing but low-end wood) rather than stay in one area and "work a woodlot" (which will cause new rare trees to spawn).

(I'm on a bit of a frostwood lull for the past week, but there have plenty of other rare trees popping up all around my forest cottage)

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd just love one of them to at least test the code. Not just look at it. Gathering wood yields high volumes of low end wood types while mining ingots is a low(in comparrison) yield of all ore types. Both are equally as unsatisfactory but at least you could actually go get what you needed before the nerf. I wish they would have never thought of adding resources to collections quests.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

There is a simple solution to this - make Lumberjacking give less wood per chop. Pluses are more chances to get colored wood, comparable to metal, and more chances to get a skill gain. Minuses, well, it just takes more chops to get the same amount of wood. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great solution, more clicks of the mouse button!
Just what UO needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT !!! I mean give me a break already. It takes 100 boards *even plain wood* to make this or 200 boards to make that for some larger carpentry items and now we will have to hit the trees MORE often to get 100 stinking boards even plain wood ?? GREAT !!

Why dont they just dump rare woods entirely then..who needs em, or the fancy quests that require all the fancy woods and let us carpenters lumberjackers just DO our job without more clicks on the darn trees more carpal tunnel... to get the amount of even plain wood we need ..so instead of hitting a tree x amt of times to make all the ml statues for one's vendor *in plain wood even* we get to click our fingers numb to get 200 boards a statue at what a few crummy logs per hit instead of our 10 - 11 per hit ?? NO thanks ! That does not sound like a solution just more complications to hem us in more taking more time to go get anything made !

G

I was going to make a similar post, but decided that I could probably adapt to beds being a slightly larger effort to craft - sort of like swamp dragon armor.

A part of me would really like more resources per chop/dig ... but part of me feels that I'd soon feel the same way again as soon as I got used to any new rate.

B

BadManiac

If they reduce the number of logs gained per chop, then they increase the chance of getting runic fletching kits and saws from heartwood. Simple as that. It already takes 150.000 boards, tens of thousands of bows and severe mouse-click-itis to get a single useless stinking oak kit! I don't need any more clicking toget the wood for them. At this rate even UM bot's are going to get bored and quit.

I

imported_Skrag

RTLFC

LOL, yeah, make it require more clicks, devs. There might still be a harvester or two who isn't scripting yet.

G

"Can we go over the spawn rates for the various woods? This came up at the Town Hall - people are complaining that the higher-end woods seem disproportionately rare."

The node issue has already been addressed by a peer. Wood nodes usually have more swings than ore nodes. Lady Melisande's Hatchet gives +5 LJ. Why not have that boost LJ up to 105, and give a higher chance for yielding rare wood?

"The Playguide page on Animal Taming makes no mention of the additional 4% skill loss if the animal is paralyzed during taming. It would also be useful to confirm whether discordance or peacemaking during taming will also result in skill loss."

Does this mean during the taming (blue text) cycle?

For the "new" pet commands, when your pet has a bleed attack, poison, or any duration spell/attack on a critter, it is very hard to stop them from fighting. These commands do not address that, do they? (in the case of accidental pet tangle-ups ;P)

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it isn't that each node has a finite amount of resources. More like each node has a finite amount of attempts to harvest resources. That is what is equal between mining nodes and lj nodes. Each 10x10 area(at GM lj/mining) gets 4 attempts to yield resources per tree/tile of mountain in the grid. So if a 10X10 area has 2 trees in it, then you get 8 swings at any tree in that 10x10 area to return resources into your pack. This is why densely populated forrests yield more wood/10x10 node than areas sparsely populated with trees.

Now the units of yield are different. One unit of yield/swing (tram) is 10 logs. Mining is one large ore. So a single tree will get 4 units of yield(40 wood) while mining gets you 4 large ore (8 ingots).

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

(First point is a complaint of sorts, but a mild one, second point is a complement. So read the whole post before you flame me.)

1. I only count 4. Unless you include the stuff about upcoming pet command changes, and that isn't a question/answer and we already knew about that. So I wouldn't count it, but that's just me. Also, Four still starts with F.

2. I liked this FoF....2 of the 4 we're genuinely things there was spam about on the boards.

Ok, I'll throw in a 3.

3. Despite the fact that the FoF doesn't live up to promise every time, I like the feature and have rarely found it to be unwelcome or not useful.

-Galen's player

G

I appreciate your efforts as a wonderful carpenter, QueenZen!

Without you, I wouldn't be having a nice rest in my beautiful Frostwood bed. *smiles*

I do hate seeing the beautiful woods being so hard to obtain...I feel like the good guys are being punished, while the bad guys just keep hauling it in by the packy full...

*sighs*

G

<blockquote><hr>

&lt;p&gt;There is a simple solution to this - make Lumberjacking give less wood per chop. Pluses are more chances to get colored wood, comparable to metal, and more chances to get a skill gain. Minuses, well, it just takes more chops to get the same amount of wood.&lt;/p&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Another plus is that there will be more chances to obtain Amber, Switches, etc.

I'm not sure changing the yield per swing will change the chances of receiving rare wood. 1% is 1%. It will just take more clicks to drain the resource node before it can respawn as another type. I do think it would be interesting to test however.

P

Paris_Hilton

rtlfc

""Can we have more stable slots?"

This is the kind of question that I usually skip for the Five on Friday, but what with the 5-slot dragons and purple bunnies and all, it's quite the hot topic. The answer is, we'd like to, but there is some research we need to do before we can add something like that. What will the impact be on our server storage space? Are there any optimizations we'd have to make to handle that new volume of data? This is the sort of thing we'd need to look into, and we don't have the answers off the top of our heads. It may well be something we do - as I said, we'd like to - but we can't make any promises right now."

So last night we watch this bod collecting scripter using 13 chars to collect most likely smith AND tailor bods (since both were located in the same screen of the scripters recall spots).

The characters recalled in every hour on the hour. (Ascertained that they were unattended using bagballs to block and unblock, then actually found the next in line afk bod collector char over in the Inn trying to recall to the tailors for a couple of hours until they ran out of tithing points, and they STILL kept trying to recall).

26 bods (13 tailor, 13 smith) X 24 hours X 7 days a week = 4,368 bods you CAN FIND ROOM TO STORE on Pacific (who knows what other shards they collect on unattended) for this ONE unattended script gatherer...

But I can't get a couple more stable slots?

Make pages on unattended scripters TOP PRIORITY for GMs to handle quickly and watch the storage room in UO grow and grow and grow.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

Are you going to look into the problems that arrise when you have a pet guarding you in a guard zone?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Another plus is that there will be more chances to obtain Amber, Switches, etc.

I'm not sure changing the yield per swing will change the chances of receiving rare wood. 1% is 1%. It will just take more clicks to drain the resource node before it can respawn as another type. I do think it would be interesting to test however.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1% chance is that the resource (8x8) square will contain frostwood. What she is trying to explain is that the square might contain FW but it just happaned that no swing yielded any FW. So if the square 'could' have yielded FW, that counts as part of the 1% though since the player didn't receive any they think it was one of the other 99% that doesn't have FW.

Say that a resource square yields 30 wood, that is only 3 swings before it is empty. The probability of receiving FW on any given swing is 40%(for human?) and the probability of NOT receiving FW is 60%. The probability of NOT receiving any FW on 2 consecutive swings is 30%, and none thru 3 swings would be 15%. So that square has a 15% chance of SEEMING like there was not special wood(FW)

If that same 30 wood resource square was gathered 3 at a time, meaning 10 swings would be necessary, then the probability of NOT receiving any special wood(FW) would be 0.117% or the probability of receiving FW on atleast one swing, would be 99.883%.

The numbers I used might not be exact, but that is the idea behind her explanation about FWs perceived rarity.

I

imported_Hanna

I like the changes, but don't think the guard currently works properly at least in PVM. Because in order for my pet to defend me I have tell it it to guard me after something attacks me. And after it's killed that thing it won't defend again until I command it to guard again - but only after something's attacked me.

G

WOOD

Let us get:
1. A tools that can upgrade a level of wood.
2. A carpenter tools, that can make colored logs to wood without carpentry skills needed.
3. A reaper hatchet that will cut one level higher wood but risk to spawn a reaper in the color of the wood and with 200 logs on it if you can kill it.

I don't think we need changes to the swing gain, it take more wood to make carpentry/fletching items than it takes ingots to make metal items.
Also the delay between the swing make it more slow to do get the wood you need together with the heavy weight.
I would like to decrease the weight of wood to 1/4 of the weight it have now. The weight of logs are fine.
Cuttet leather need decrease in weight too.
I can carry lots of ingots without trouble but wood and leather are far to heavy.

Decreasing the weight will also add a PvP reason in Fel and on Siege, when PK's will gain more wood and leather *Evil grin*

G

<blockquote><hr>

no more questions about discordance PLEASE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially ones anyone can go out and check himself.

I liked the name of this FoF though because I saw the name "Triple Didgits" and started laughing at the thought of the first question being about the games population. Morbid humor I know.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or, instead of all this nonsense about formula's and chance to spawn colored wood, you guys can admit you made a horrible mistake, and revert the changes to resources back the way they were for years and years.

Seriously, the random resource changes not only destroyed peoples collections of runes to locations, (the ones that we had for years mind you), but all they did was help the scripters. Yes, help them. Resource gathering in this game has got to be one of the lamest things about UO and it has been made megalame with this change.

I'll never chop wood again. And I'll only mine when I need to make swampy armor.

What is the purpose of making a resource "rare"? For the turn in's? Then change the damn turn in's. Don't change a staple of UO. Oh wait you did.

Lame devs. Very lame. Change it back. Admit your mistake. Or hell, don't. And watch the same scripters control the same resources that they always have.

Hurt the little guy much?

I

imported_DarkVoid

<blockquote><hr>

&lt;p&gt;Posted to uoherald.com's Five on Friday: <blockquote>&lt;span class=osi&gt;&lt;p&gt;[image]http://uo.stratics.com/newspics/fridayFive2.gif" width="91" height="91" border="5[/image]&lt;p&gt; &lt;font size=+1&gt;FoF: Triple Digits&lt;br&gt;&lt;/font&gt; Jeremy Dalberg&lt;br&gt; 07 Mar 2008 18:07:23 &lt;p&gt;Frostwood rarity, stable slots, and more in this 100th FoF!&lt;p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Does the skill decrease from Discord and -skill items (like Mage weapons) stack??"&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt; Yes, the two effects can stack.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt; "Can we go over the spawn rates for the various woods? This came up at the Town Hall - people are complaining that the higher-end woods seem disproportionately rare." &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Leurocian and I scoured the lumberjacking and mining code and discovered that the spawn rate for Frostwood is 1% (as intended.) We couldn't find any bugs or inconsistencies that would make it spawn any less - it's marginally more rare than Valorite, but we're talking four tenths of a percent more rare. The other rare woods are 2%, 3%, and 5% as intended.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;However.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;There is a factor that could make Frostwood harder to gather. It's kind of twisted, so bear with me. See, each 8x8 area has a finite amount of resources - be it ore or wood. The amount is comparable between mining and lumberjacking, but there is a critical difference. Each swing of the axe nets you 10 wood, whereas each swing of the pick nets you at most 2 metal. This means you can drain a node in fewer attempts in lumberjacking than in mining.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Why does this matter? Because you're not guaranteed colored resources each swing - you have a 40% (or 60% if you're elven) chance to get colored wood or ore with each swing. If you take fewer swings, you get fewer chances to get colored wood before the node is dry. If that's one of the 1 in 100 8x8 areas that has Frostwood, you may well get no Frostwood at all. Whereas with mining, you get a lot more chances to get at least some colored ore. This can affect how much colored wood you actually get, and it REALLY affects your perception of how much of the rarer woods there are - you may never know that that was a Frostwood tree, and it may randomize away before you can try it again.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;There is a simple solution to this - make Lumberjacking give less wood per chop. Pluses are more chances to get colored wood, comparable to metal, and more chances to get a skill gain. Minuses, well, it just takes more chops to get the same amount of wood. Thoughts? Questions? Let Us Know! &lt;/p&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't you just have each chop roll (a) a chance for the colored wood type to appear and (b) a chance for the proportional percentage of colored wood one should get at that level of lumberjacking? They could get up to the current total logs they can currently get, the difference is that a certain percentage of it would become the resource square's currently chosen colored wood type.

Since lumberjacking requires a lot more wood for craftable items, it deserves the chance to yield the proper maximum chance of wood, it's not doing that currently, and it is very very difficult for anyone to actually produce anything worth putting their crafter's name on. If I want a HeartWood Loom, for instance, I would have to chop for an eternity to get all of the boards needed in HeartWood at the current incorrect drop rates.

Players simply don't have time to chop forever and yet here you Devs are slowing them down even more!! Your proposal will not alleviate scripting it will only make the problem much much worse.

Suggestion: Make the "rare" woods pretty easy to get, in fact barely more difficult than a straight 50/50 chance. Instead of reducing lumberjacking to a burnt out wood collection chore, try to bump up the difficulty level a bit for the crafted items by multiplying a difficulty factor for the rare high-end woods into the creation equation for normal woods.

They should be relatively difficult to craft, not to get, except for converting logs into boards which should just require the proper skill. It never ceases to amaze me how the Dev Team fail to figure out that wood collection should not drive the player to chop like mad just to get enough of a particular resource to craft something decent!

It may mean revisiting the library donation turn-ins, in fact I would suggest you scrap the current bloated and scripter-magnet points-based system entirely and instead have the player go and complete a meduim to high level quest based off the level and intended rarity of the reward item they want. Or, at the very least include something that takes time and that is definitely not easy for a script to automate.

Cheers ...

DarkVoid

G

I wonder why noone commented on the pet ball and AI changes, which are nice and was long overdue.

As for the wood, who cares anymore really.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Pet Ball Changes:
# Pet summoning balls should unhide the summoner when attempting to summon her pet.
# Pet summoning balls should have a couple second casting animation with the chance to disrupt like other spellcasting.
# Pet summoning balls should have a reuse delay of 15 seconds.
# Pet summoning balls cannot be used while in animal form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has the team considered the effect that this will have on being dismounted? Currently the best, (and really only) action to take after being dismounted is to wait a few seconds, then summon in a mount and get on it. With the new changes this will become imposible, making dismount even stronger then it is now. The players do NOT want a stronger dismount, it's already abused on many levels. The first and fourth changes are fine, and even the third I could live with, but please don't put in the second change, it's certain death for anybody that goes up against a group using a dismount archer or the bola exploit. :/

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Your proposal will not alleviate scripting it will only make the problem much much worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your proposal has not alleviated scripting, it has only made the problem much much worse.

/fixed

I like your idea of making ores and woods common. And making actual crafting with said high end resource harder, and more apt to fail.

Rare is lame. Repeat after me. Rare is lame.

Heres the simple solution. Revert stupid resource changes BACK the way they were, and hire and train GM's to police the game and ban 24/7 resource hog scripters. Call me [censored] 'ing crazy.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I wonder why noone commented on the pet ball and AI changes, which are nice and was long overdue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right. They do deserve credit for this stuff. Great changes, both to help pvp and pvm together. Pet AI changes esp. Awesome awesome. Can't wait till it comes.

But [censored] the resource changes. [censored] em in the ear

C

Chango Pelon

<blockquote><hr>

[/quote

Should also not be able to use while mounted to counter the lack of skill needed to mount being more powerful then the amount of skill needed to be in animal form.

Nerf bat!!!

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/quote

Should also not be able to use while mounted to counter the lack of skill needed to mount being more powerful then the amount of skill needed to be in animal form.

Nerf bat!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you revise this to where it actually makes sense please?

I

imported_Lord Kynd

10 boards per 8x8 area with a 1% chance for frostwood ?

just remove resourse from collections like that other person suggested...

and fix the 'odds'

1:1,000,000 is that the odds of hitting one piece of frostwood and the rest are random low ends?

takes the viability of harvesting even to make stuff with wood.

and mining is just as messed up ?
blah

tailors for the win i guess

C

Chango Pelon

Sure:

Animal form = Skill needed in Ninjitsu to use

Riding a mount = No skill needed

You are on foot and not in form so you run slow if needed

VS

You can use a pet ball while mounted so you can run fast if needed

You see, some of us have skill points invested to be able to move without a mount. And those with no skill points invested get all the perks and no penalties.

Also, sorry about my first point, me and my kids thought it made sense...

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Sure:

Animal form = Skill needed in Ninjitsu to use

Riding a mount = No skill needed

You are on foot and not in form so you run slow if needed

VS

You can use a pet ball while mounted so you can run fast if needed

You see, some of us have skill points invested to be able to move without a mount. And those with no skill points invested get all the perks and no penalties.

Also, sorry abot my first point, me and my kids thought it made sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you and i agree totally.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

takes the viability of harvesting even to make stuff with wood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted For Truth.

It's stupid, and I have yet to see any player's actually herald the resource changes. I like to think of myself as objective. I could go into many reasons why the Bag of Sending change was great, but the resource changes are the suck. Many reasons.

The library and all that other crap has to be the dumbest thing in UO besides of course the random resources. It's MEANT to be scripted. Show me someone who has LEGALLY gotten a set of Mace and Shield glasses from the turn in and I'll show you someone who needs to go buy a bicycle, and peddle their way to a new life. If you want it to be rare (but remember kiddies, rare is lame) then so be it, but there are other ways to do it without wearing out your mouse, getting carpal tunnel, getting divorced, and getting a Prozac (TM) prescription. Scription! HAHAHAHAHA I made a funny! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

See what you've done devs.

Lame.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh for example....the zoo. Now that is a good turn in system if ye ask me.
Quests would have been nice for the library and museum stuff. Instead is scriptsville.

Post count +1

L

legs

better chance of getting rare wood if one swings the axe less, right?

if i follow the logic about getting frostwood..... would it not be possible then to walk through the woods carrying my axe, and have frostwood just fall into my backpack?

Yes!!!!!! Oh, i do like that logic!

and to carry it further into convulation, if i don't take my axe heaven only knows what sort of wood i might gather!!

i suspect that 99.9% of the logging now is done by scripters... up from 98% a few weeks ago

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

scroll up, haha. i like the ninj, commands seem redundant if they can't block out bleed / poison / etc pet targets with on critters

D

Drawde2

<blockquote><hr>

Heres the simple solution. Revert stupid resource changes BACK the way they were, and hire and train GM's to police the game and ban 24/7 resource hog scripters.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except that costs money. You have to hire new people and train them. Then you have to pay them to basically roam around the entire world watching for scripters. Once they manage to get rid of most of the scripters, you still have to pay them to keep doing that, even though they'll rarely find one. Since if they don't, the scripters will keep probing until it's safe to come back. If you were the one who owned the game, which would you rather do: pay a bunch of people to esentially do nothing (roaming the world looking for something that rarely happens), or make changes to the game to prevent the scripters. Remember, the owners of EA probably don't play the game, so know nothing about it beyond how much profit it brings to the company. And EA is a business, which exists to make money.

Most of the MMORPGs had larger GM pools when they started. And, although I only know about UO and EQ, they were eventually sold to a larger company, who had better resources to run the games. Unfortunentally, the companies were corporations, where the profit margin was the most important thing. So they cut back on the costs of the game. Which means things like QA and customer support get cut back, since most things besides the MMORPGs didn't need as much of them, so neither would they. Richard Garriot has stated that he left Ultima because of that attitude, which also included things like "it will be released on the release date, ready or not, since that's when we said it would be released."

S

Sir Ha-ward

...and what about the problems when you have pets guarding you in the gz devs?

Breeze64

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well if not more stable slot can we at least swap pets in &amp; out???
swapping one pet for another pet maybe something like a trade window thing but only for use at the stable with the stable guy?????
so you trade a cu for a 5 slot dragon, this would only work if you were locked out of your stable.....
which happened to me when I found out the new 5 slot dragon I just got I could not stable because my stable was full &amp; had to release.
go figure with all the pets &amp; pretty colors etc. LOL

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

JFansite News &lt;p&gt; Pictures and recordings of the Event! Thanks, guys!&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;I am out of the office for a couple of days - Bob will be covering for me while I'm gone. Have a good weekend!&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Jeremy &lt;/p&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Any postings of these pics on sites where you dont have to register to view them. Come on people, you do realize that this only leads to garbage accounts on your forums that you will eventually have to purge any way right? *sigh*

A

AdamD

A forum will have garbage accounts regardless.
Take stratics' registered user count for instance
149177 Registered User(s).
Plus, UOF runs an automated purge every XX days to remove non posting accounts.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

A forum will have garbage accounts regardless.
Take stratics' registered user count for instance
149177 Registered User(s).
Plus, UOF runs an automated purge every XX days to remove non posting accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, forcing people to start an account just to look at pictures is quite lame IMHO. Its an old world mentality.

A

AdamD

Do you run a forum Arcus? Or should i ask, do you run a forum with attachments available to the public with sizes exceeding 50mb per attachment?
I'd imagine not
The main reason the attachments (Which includes all files, be it audio, video, pictures etc) are only available to registered members, is because of some of the larger ones stored in that forum
"IF" hundreds of people decided to all download the audio broadcast and photos all at once, I wouldn't be surprised to see the forum crawl to a halt, so I decided to only allow registered folk to view it.

But, the pictures themselves obviously aren't going to overload anything, so I'm putting them in public viewing as well.

http://www.uoforums.com/wrose/townhalls/3-01-08-JacksonvilleFLUO/

Zip download - http://www.uoforums.com/wrose/townhalls/3-01-08-JacksonvilleFLUO/townhall.zip