• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] FoF: Parrying and Potting

I

Infiniti

You can also get fertile dirt from ant lions. (They also drop ore of various types, bone pieces that can be cut into bones, and occasionally one of the skeletons of an unknown bard, rogue, or mage. The skeletons of unknown mages include a fair amount of regs.)

You can also get fertile dirt when you plant a green thorn in dirt, ie: any road, dirt patch, etcetera.

H

Hunters Moon

Yeah...it's all Melina's fault...she's been complaining about cocoa trees forever *grins*

If you read close...."gardeners may want to lay in extra supplies of fertile dirt (the new plant types are up to 15 now, not 10!) "

Gardeners are finally gettin some love! :danceb::danceb::danceb:

Happy Cocoa Tree dance :)
I want to see the cocoa seeds drop from a chocolate elemental

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yep, news article posted on the KR forum here though as that's what it was related to. Nothing against WRR, but Illandril sent in the blurb before last week's FoF on the formal "opening" of the Modder's Exchange which we were hoping would maybe help find a few more modders as well as more suggestions and a place for people to find more mods and features.

Blah.
I'm guessing spam filters are to blame. Ever since spammers found nice ways to succeed against Google's captcha's, I've found more and more of my e-mails getting caught by filters.

Hopefully she'll get the note I sent through the feedback form last night though :)

D

Dor of Sonoma

*hugs Tina fiercely*

Some of us do not (and never will) forget.

D

Deb

They really should post on the Log-In screen about 2 week warning
on Spring Cleaning...not everyone reads Stratics.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm very excited about the new plants - but I do wonder why they are all 'stand alones', like the bonsai & ant quest plants, so that we can't cross pollinate them to produce other plant types? Is the 'stand alone' plant code easier to duplicate? Is there some issue with the cross-pollination code that means that adding new generations to the original set of plants is problematic?

But YAY new plants!! :) Thanks so much!! I've really been looking forward to this, and can hardly wait to see what the new types are!!

:) :) :)

Why are they stand alones? Because it would take to much time, thought and effort to make them able to cross pollinate. Why do you think? No one on the DEV team is capable of putting that much thought and effort into plants. Whoever originally came up with the idea of the plants and the entire system was good.... apparently that person either doesn't work there anymore or has been strangled by the system into stiffling their creative output because as you may have noticed or maybe not EA games wishes very much for UO to fail and die out..... However they can not understand why after they constantly ruin each and every part of the game one by one why we keep playing... So they have moved their team around breaking it up whenever it starts getting anywhere or acting like it might improve the game and get subsciptions up... Or it totally botches up things and says Oppps....

You don't actually believe that they WANT us the paying customers to be happy or excited about the game do you? It is my firm belief that EA games WANTS UO to die... Unfortunately the game continues to run in the black.... despite their best efforts to drive it into the red.

So to answer your questions they wouldn't put in somthing cool like new plants that you can cross pollinate because that would require them to do somthing we the players would enjoy and want. Also it would be too much effort for them to think up the various combinations that it would take to make differing plants... even though just changing the color of plants is simple... Not like I'm sure they don't have 15 plants that are really neat looking or couldn't easily whip up those same 15 plants in 5 or 6 different colors.... Maybe it is the math involved or something with the coding that would make it too complicated for them to work on.... But since you'll be happy and excited with them this way just as they come why would they bother? Of course they could seriously take another 3 or 4 years and actually put a bit of effort in to code them they way they ought to be with the system of cross pollination and all ....

Sorry for the rant.

K

Kratos Aurion

Kratos - if that was actually WORKING properly, yeah, the question wouldn't have been needed.

But I can attest something is wrong with parry, even if Jeremy is wrong about the mechanics.

someone with 80 real, 95 modified, parry, fighting LOTs of creatures ranging from Ogres to Balrons in toughness, shouldn't go 2 months without a gain like I did (and then only start gettign gains from having a Barracoon beat me down twice in one night).
There may be something wrong with the skills natural training envirornment, but why bother? Like others suggested. The use of jhelom pits, sheep and other farm animals can at best 0-gm within 2hours, and 120 within 1-2hrs after that.

In that period I can take my healing from 50-80 with bandies. Somewhat along the lines of shooting 2 birds with 1 stone.

Since the animals skills train as yours do, its like fighting in a progressive enviornment where as your parry gets better, so does the creatures anatomy. So in away, its like raising in difficulty as you train.

J

Jeremy

Part of the problem with Parry is that your rate of gain is affected by your DCI/HLD - very useful stats that can nevertheless make gains impossible on many critters. The other part of the problem is that your weapon skill is the other determining factor, and your weapon skill goes up faster than Parrying, which tends to leave you in a weird place in terms of what's profitable to fight vs what you can gain from. Yeah, it's easy enough to game if you know the trick, but it is kinda off in terms of natural gameplay.

Dermott and Cogniac, I am SO sorry. I completely spaced on both of your announcements. Will you resend them so I can make them blink and jump up and down in my inbox? I promise I won't forget this week!

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"When is the ROT scaling on Siege going to be fixed?"

How does Publish 55 sound?

We're testing a new set of numbers internally now, and we're hoping to get it on a Test Center with a Siege backup so y'all can try it out and see how it feels. To give you a rough idea of the current plan (and start the debate boiling,) the time to get from 70-120 has been reduced by about a third, and the time to reach the stat cap has been reduced by about the same proportion.
*smiles* Thank you.
THANK YOU!!!!
:danceb::thumbup::heart:

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dermott and Cogniac, I am SO sorry. I completely spaced on both of your announcements. Will you resend them so I can make them blink and jump up and down in my inbox? I promise I won't forget this week!
Dermott didn't send one - he was talking about the announcement I sent :)
I already resent it (along with some other stuff [most, if not all, of which probably needs to be handed off to Supreem]) through the feedback form late on Friday night.

If you want me to e-mail the announcement again by itself, let me know (or any of the other stuff).