• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] FoF:Curses!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
B

Barney Rubble

Still no word on luck i would love to see the very easy math with some real #'s added in so i can see how it work's.Bad draconi for dodging the question at town hall.Go's off too :bdh: and then :shots:

M

Melina Havelock

Next week (barring the usual miniature disasters - we're dealing with some hardware issues at the moment, so this is more subject to change than usual) should see Publish 53 on the Test Center, which will include some long-looked-for bug fixes and an update to the Spring Cleaning turn-ins - both new items to be turned in for points and new rewards! And the Shadowlords, of course, have not been idle...
COCOA TREES

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Larisa,

I really really REALLY don't like these forums for this *laughs* sorry guys! I would copy/paste but Jeremy has ALOT of links in there.
Check with Mith, there should be a vB WYSIWYG post editor mod that lets you paste in the active links too (just can't remember what it's called).

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It just seems like this "upgrade" has done a LOT to reduce the efficiency is actually using these boards... at least to me.

I know I'm probably in the minority that thinks it, but I really believe I see a lot less efficiency in this board setup than in the previous ones.

D

DarkChronus

It just different... I think efficiency will come with learning it better

C

Connor_Graham

Ok, I feel better this morning after having read that they're changing the Curse back to the way it was.

I take back all that cursing I've been doing behind screen. :p

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well that's certainly good news about curse spell probrlem. Also, I wonder what the new turn ins will be? Maybe the obsidian blades and the chaos shields? I can't wait for more info.

L

Limlight

I dont know what they did...but I can actually view the boards from my house now...

No idea why I coudlnt before....

K

kennykilleduo

"Focus Group Update:

We've got a solid core of people in the focus group at the moment, and invites are on hold. However, this will be a relatively long-running focus group, and we may need more bodies once we get them on a test shard, so I may invite further waves - keep an eye on your inboxes, and if you would still like to apply, go ahead! (But do note that I'm working through the stack first-come, first-serve.)"

Guess I missed that one...
:confused:

A

AdamD

Larisa, you should be able to copy/paste the whole thing into the message editor, it "should" copy all the links over to

Just make sure you've got the WYSIWYG editor turned on.

To do that, start a new thread, then at the top right is the a/A button, click that and then paste in the FOF, it should look something like this....

PLEASE NOTE: The Five on Friday archives are not updated with each patch. Please take older documents with a grain of salt, as they may be inaccurate.

May 16, 2008

"Ack! A monster teleported into my private house! What do I do?"

Ah, yes, the monster with no sense of boundaries. While you can't actually ban them, they should respond to a firm tone of voice. Maintain your composure and say "Remove thyself" (and then target the monster.) That should send it packing!

--

"Monster's Curse spell seems to have become more powerful - what happened?"

This was one of those wonky side-effects of working with ten-year-old code - what seemed to be a simple change to make the "Curse" buff icon show up seems to have altered the actual effect of the Curse spell when cast by NPCs. (It now reduces your resists as well as your stats.) We're investigating, and hope to have the situation resolved in one of the next few publishes.

--

Focus Group Update:

We've got a solid core of people in the focus group at the moment, and invites are on hold. However, this will be a relatively long-running focus group, and we may need more bodies once we get them on a test shard, so I may invite further waves - keep an eye on your inboxes, and if you would still like to apply, go ahead! (But do note that I'm working through the stack first-come, first-serve.)

--

What's To Come:

The Vanguard is active on all shards! Early scouting reports suggest that the threat may be spreading beyond Cove - be vigilant!

Next week (barring the usual miniature disasters - we're dealing with some hardware issues at the moment, so this is more subject to change than usual) should see Publish 53 on the Test Center, which will include some long-looked-for bug fixes and an update to the Spring Cleaning turn-ins - both new items to be turned in for points and new rewards! And the Shadowlords, of course, have not been idle...

--

Fansite News:

Got several good bits today!

First from UOForums:
Whispering Rose Radio has released the source recording for the last Town Hall - get them on UOForums here! It's open to guests, so no one has to register.

Also, UOForums did an interview with Escaflowne, GM of the Vesper guild on Europa, which is located here. (UOForums is also looking to interview any/all guild GM's who'd be willing, as it's a good way to get their guild name out there, so if you're interested, Adam can be emailed at - adam (AT) uoforums.com)

The Lost Lands also has a special treat - an interview with Kilandra! Check it out here!

--

Town Hall News:

If you missed the Rockville Town Hall, don't despair - check out the recording linked above, or look at our schedule (now including Seattle!) to find out when we'll be near you! The next one is in San Diego at the end of July, and we'll have plenty to talk about - so if you're in southern California, now's not too early to RSVP!

--

Have a great weekend, folks!

- Jeremy​

J

Jeremy

Barney, what do you want to know about Luck specifically? The actual formula (with a table of examples) is here.

P

Prince Caspian

FoF -- Furor over Fluff.

I have to admit out of all the FoFs, maybe 1 on each set is topical. And there's an aaawwwfull lot of oliphants in the room that Jeremy seems to refuse to acknowledge....

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In regards to the issues about formatting, why duplicate the document by copying and pasting it anyway? A simple link in the first post, as has been done here, suffices. We're all capable of clicking links. =P

It's less work, less duplication of material for no reason and, actually, more efficient. Why spend time copying something across which is already perfectly formatted as HTML on the host page as it is?

I know I'd much rather this approach, anyway.

E

Electrolyte

In regards to the issues about formatting, why duplicate the document by copying and pasting it anyway? A simple link in the first post, as has been done here, suffices. We're all capable of clicking links. =P

It's less work, less duplication of material for no reason and, actually, more efficient. Why spend time copying something across which is already perfectly formatted as HTML on the host page as it is?

I know I'd much rather this approach, anyway.
I would actually have to disagree with this, I really like having the fof and other articles in the post. I do most of my forum reading and posting from a windows mobile device and it's MUCH easier for me to nothave to click from link to link toread the news... but that's just me...

so I want to give a big THANK YOU to all of our great news reporters :) Keep up the great work :)

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barney, what do you want to know about Luck specifically? The actual formula (with a table of examples) is here.
I can't get the chart to proof out. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but 1200(1/1.8)=666.6666, so is that 66.66%? How do you get 51.36%? My math is bad, but I too am curious.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't get the chart to proof out. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but 1200(1/1.8)=666.6666, so is that 66.66%? How do you get 51.36%? My math is bad, but I too am curious.
There's a typo in the formula on uo.com.
It's actually 1200^(1/1.8) = 51.36

Or 1200 raised to the power 1/1.8=0.555555..., which is slightly more than the square root (power 0.5).

M

mr.blackmage

:s

I didn't think that curse was part of the 10 year code? Curse worked the same for monsters and player pre-aos I thought.

J

Joyous2K

So after getting my 1236 luck suit, I now have roughly a 1 in 2 chance of getting useless junk that is lucky.

Loot needs minimum values.

B

Barney Rubble

Well lets say i have 3130 luck at the time of the monster's death what is my chance at a luck bump and please show me the math with my luck in the value. please please preaty please. oohh and is it working right now cause my testing is showing a big diferance in loot droping.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Or 1200 raised to the power 1/1.8=0.555555..., which is slightly more than the square root (power 0.5).
:cool: math in the hall *chuckles*

any ways ... Fractional Exponents

G'luck

hehehehe

Remember ... the "luck" only gives "a" chance to roll the next three parts of the "bump"

So (if possible) with 100% luck TO ROLL ...
STILL at the mercy of the Evil Lord RNG ... on EACH of those rolls ... "how much" you get

"how much" you get
1. The number of magic items found on a monster. (how many more ... items ... in corpse)
2. The number of properties on a magic item. (how many more Properties ... for each item ... in corpse)
3. The intensity of the properties on a magic item. (How much "better" Intensity ... for each property ... for each item)

the Evil Lord RNG ... STILL determines thy fate
regardless of what your "numbers" fool you into believing

Burma Shave

(Now ... someone "do the math" for the hypothetical 3120 luck ... :bored:)

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well....not quite..... it's actually the 1.8th root of the number raised to the 1st power.

Oh, and it's 3130^(1 / 1.8) = 87.4921475

The square root of 3130 is 55.94640292.

And in your example, the square root of 1200 is 34.640101615 which 51.36 is more than 'just slightly more', especially when talking about percentage values.

B

Barney Rubble

Ok so at 3130 luck i have a 87.49% chance at a luck bump is that right jeremy?
And does that 87.49% apply to all 4 step's of the loot roll
Still very confused and if those are the #'s theres something way off with the loot generator latly.:wall: now for more:shots:

B

Barney Rubble

Still no word on luck i would love to see the very easy math with some real #'s added in so i can see how it work's.Bad draconi for dodging the question at town hall.Go's off too :bdh: and then :shots:

Well lets say i have 3130 luck at the time of the monster's death what is my chance at a luck bump and please show me the math with my luck in the value. please please preaty please. oohh and is it working right now cause my testing is showing a big diferance in loot droping.
:cool: math in the hall *chuckles*

any ways ... Fractional Exponents

G'luck

hehehehe

Remember ... the "luck" only gives "a" chance to roll the next three parts of the "bump"

So (if possible) with 100% luck TO ROLL ...
STILL at the mercy of the Evil Lord RNG ... on EACH of those rolls ... "how much" you get

"how much" you get
1. The number of magic items found on a monster. (how many more ... items ... in corpse)
2. The number of properties on a magic item. (how many more Properties ... for each item ... in corpse)
3. The intensity of the properties on a magic item. (How much "better" Intensity ... for each property ... for each item)

the Evil Lord RNG ... STILL determines thy fate
regardless of what your "numbers" fool you into believing

Burma Shave

(Now ... someone "do the math" for the hypothetical 3120 luck ... )
Well....not quite..... it's actually the 1.8th root of the number raised to the 1st power.

Oh, and it's 3130^(1 / 1.8) = 87.4921475

The square root of 3130 is 55.94640292.

And in your example, the square root of 1200 is 34.640101615 which 51.36 is more than 'just slightly more', especially when talking about percentage values.
Ok so at 3130 luck i have a 87.49% chance at a luck bump is that right jeremy?
And does that 87.49% apply to all 4 step's of the loot roll
Still very confused and if those are the #'s theres something way off with the loot generator latly.:wall: now for more:shots:
Ok i want to know once you roll for the bump and get the bump what determan's the next set of roll's is it the same percentage and the first roll also what are the max bonus's possable to each stage of the loot generator.

B

Barney Rubble

Ok i know you must be bussy and all bgut if you ask a player a question and they give you there resonce dont you think you owe it to them to respond the there answer of your question i mean realy thats just rude droping the ball if you ask me.:thumbdown::mad::wall:

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Luck's effect explained:

Whenever you kill a monster, a series of random rolls is performed to determine the loot you get. On each of these rolls, a Luck roll is performed to see if you get a "loot bump", with the percentage determined above (87.49% with 3130 Luck).

1) The first Luck roll can increase by one the number of items found as loot in the corpse.
For example, if you have 2 items as loot, having 3130 Luck will give you an 87.49% chance to find an additional third item.
Note that in any case you will never get more than the maximum amount of items for that creature: for example, if the maximum loot for a Lich is 3 items, Luck will not give you 4 items.

2) The next Luck rolls can increase by one the number of properties found on each item. For example, if an item had 4 properties, having 3130 Luck will give you an 87.49% chance to get that item with 5 properties. The property bump is rolled separately for each item. Note that in any case Luck will not increase the number of properties beyond the maximum for that creature's loot (and no more than 5 in any case).

3) The third Luck rolls can increase by 10% each of the properties found on each item.
For example, if an item had 40% Hit Lightning (80% intensity), having 3130 Luck will give you an 87.49% chance to get that item with 45% Hit Lightning (90% intensity). The intensity bump is rolled separately for each property. Note that Luck will not increase a property beyond the maximum for that creature's loot (and in any case no more than 100% intensity).

So, in other words - Luck will not make you find items that you would not normally find as loot - but it will greatly increase your chances to find more items, each of them with more properties, each of which at higher intensity.

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, where's the cocoa seeds? Maybe some changes to chocolates? Hmmm?
*shoots dev's the evil eye*

Starting to look like another good idea that got kicked to the side. *sigh*