• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] Editorial: Roleplay on Atlantic

• Thread starter imported_Ishtar
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Ishtar

<center>
</center>

What does it mean to roleplay? By definition according to the wikipedia: A role-playing game is a game in which the participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, they may improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the games.

To give a good foundation and background I'm going to explain the basics of roleplay and some of its definitions. The reason I am doing this is to better explain the fundamentals:

Names
Just because you see someone's name on screen DOES NOT mean that your character can automatically assume their name. If you do this, you will have to think up a nutty reason off the top of your head as to how you know who they are. What you want to do, overall, is wait for the character to introduce themselves to you. That is like giving you permission to call them by their name, and the same goes for any title they might have. Your character only knows WHAT HE/SHE HAS BEEN TOLD, so keep that in mind.

Titles
The very same rules apply to Guild titles as well, you don't know unless you are told, so don't start assuming that about them as well. Also, DO NOT make some crappy idea up like "it read so on your badge". You do not know if theya re wearing a badge or not. It is not only crude, but godmoding.

Metagaming
You are surrounded by bad guys, and you need help. Calling for help with ICQ or using guild messages shouldn't and isn't a legit reason for help to come find you. You can try and have your character "scream" and then ask anyone in your local area if they "heard" your scream. Other than that, those are your only options. You want to do most of your roleplay in game. Also, you can not use OOC information with your character. So if someone warns you that the enemy is coming over ICQ, your character can't start getting prepared IG, because they would have no way of knowing that. Pigeons are a light exception, if all they are used lightheartedly.

Godmoding
Someone is horribly hurt and screaming in agony, you cannot just walk up to that person and "heals her/him and he/she feels better" and then just walk away. That is forcing actions upon another and taking control of situations that he cannot have control of. Godmoding, also, is failure to cooperate with fellow role players and having your character do whatever they seem to please. Nobody is a god in this community, and if you want to have fun with roleplay you will respect your fellow role players. If you respect them, they will respect you.*

With the above definitions in place one can see there are guidelines of what is acceptable and what is not. Of course people make mistakes as we are human and humans are the characters, mishaps do occur. When a character makes numerous mistakes and disregards these guidelines it tends to show a lack of respect for their fellow roleplayers.

As we know in Ultima Online this is an ever changing and evolving process. There are communities for such things so like players may interact in this way. However, over time there has been a shift. A lack of focus on roleplay and an increased focus on player versus player or PVP. As to why this is happening, much would be speculation. In my opinion it is the dwindling amount of players. The shard is shrinking and there are less and less people to interact. It could also be the lack of creativity, after ten years it would be hard to come up with new ideas for plots.

The other disturbing change is the increased amount of what is called "forced" roleplay. This is when a group or individual, takes a plot or idea and disregards previous roleplay, lore and history and forces it upon others. In most cases it is frowned upon, however the trend has been increasing. With no one out to prevent it,or at least be willing to do so, it perseveres and tends to create animosity within the roleplay community as a whole. This, is not a good thing, especially as the population shrinks. Due to thing sof this nature, many good role players have left, annoyed and disgruntaled.

To quote Halister "After all, as you said, the foundation is set and the community is whole again, it's in everyone's hands now, and how they choose to take advantage of this rare state of affairs is up to them, this can be a rebirth of the greatest roleplay community in UO, or it could end up like the many scorched communities on other shards, stagnant and desolate."

Unfortunately, the community overall, is splintering. The lack of respect for years of previous role play and the feuds from what is referred to as out of character have left wedges. All the energies being used are not being put to the best use, instead of creativity and unification, it is being put towards undermining and besting other people. This is a change that I feel will ultimately destroy role play on the Atlantic shard.

The community is more like high school it has it's cliques and groups. Though they preach that people should be respected and welcome, it is not so. There are nobles, evildoers and even outcasts. As in school we had the popular kids like the jocks and cheerleaders. We had the bad boys and girls, that cut class and were always out to make their place known and a statement by being the light of adversity and finally the outcasts, the kids that didn't quite fit in anywhere and were mocked, abused and ignored. Now of course, not everyone will always get along, but for one to preach unification and acceptance there should be just that. Personal feelings aside and mutual respect. That is not occurring in the role play community as a whole.

So what will it take to repair this, honestly I am not sure. In my opinion, it may not be salvageable. For some players the damage has been done and has left a huge rift. The out of character animosities are irreversible and have bled into people's roleplay to the point where they are now inseparable. There is a lack of personal accountability, and rules that were created are no longer being enforced. The standard has been lowered to the point that there is little if any quality role play left. I feel the biggest issue is though we portray characters in role play, people forget that the players still have real feelings. Things sometimes sound great on paper so to speak, but when implemented the effects are not always what is best for everyone.

People do not always put themselves in another's shoes and ask themselves, "How would I feel if this was done to me?" In many cases I can guarantee that they would not like it, yet, they forge ahead regardless and it perpetuates the vicious circle of hatred and animosity. Even myself, being a long term role player have made decisions I regret and have tried to move forward. The most I can do is learn from my mistakes and carry on, I hope others learn this lesson as well. As if we do not follow or study history we will always be doomed to repeat it. In my years as a role player I have seen this occur like the tides, it ebbs and flows and is always moving yet still constant.

Though the above are my opinions and not those of Stratics, I know many may not hold to the same ideas and opinions as I have, and others may find these words as a beacon of light, that someone understands what is going on. My only hope is that it perpetuates a change for the better, a new growth, a rebirth as it will. It would be a shame to see years of work, hopes and dreams destroyed by the lack of willingness to put differences aside, right wrongs and begin anew.

My next question is this, "Where do we go from here?" I set that before all those who roleplay on Atlantic, to dig deep within themselves and ask that. Think about it, digest it. Take to heart your character's history, trials and tribulations. In doing so, may the light of role play not die on Atlantic like is has in other places.

*Taken from Dan's RP 101, 3rd Edition.

SouthernRageLNR

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with roleplaying is hardcore Rpers think you are suppose to roleplay there way and no other way. I rp a trash talking murder in this game yet for some reason thats unacceptable. :&lt;

F

five oclock

At first I was a little skeptical about this post. Ill be honest with ya. I mean role playing in UO. Who really destroyed it...the players or the Devs etc etc. Again who came first thy chicken or the egg.

Now as I have finished reading thy post for the second time..This is going to sound crazy..but is there anyway you might be able to post this post on ALL the shard forums. There is some great knowledge in role playing in your words. Espically since we are getting younger players back into the game also. There are shards that Still try to role play..but it has been lost like dust under a rug.

Thy info here is great! If there was someway to post it to other shards...that would be amazing too.

I usually don't play on Atlantic. I have a crafter and a fighter thats about it. Its still a great world to play on once in awhile....Thank you for the post.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not too sure about that. The guild I am a member of did attempt to get into the RP side of the game for a while as we wanted to offer a broad range of activities for our members. Granted we had a few people who once had been in the rp community and they had prior personal issues with some of the vetran rp'ers and they did a good bit of greifing initially. Sadly everyone in the guild were basically tagged as greifers due to the actions of a couple members of ours and the doors slammed shut on the majority who were attempting to bring about change internally. I am not saying the rp community was wrong in doing that as you are known by the company you keep. However, prior to all of that playing out it did appear our "evil" and "trash talking" (depending on the severity) players were well received on most occasions.

*to the rp'ers forgive me if this is overstepping*

If you are still intersted in the evil rp you may want to seek out Spawn. From what I got to know of the guy he played fairly evil. I am unsure of the guild he is associated with but you could always hang around Hanse's and find a way of rp'ing your way into meeting him.

I

imported_Ishtar

Spawn is now no longer evil if you are referring to the same one I am thinking. The demon posession plot was ended.

I'd love to put this across the board but I can't speak for the other reporters, if they wish it that way and they contact me to cross-post it I am good with that.

G

As Ishtar said, Spawn is no longer evil and that plot is over. He has joined the guild that I run. Northland Republic. If you are interested in trying us out, toss me an ICQ at 243645339. Neutralish guild.

There are some good points in this thread about Godmoding and Metagaming. Those are good things to go by.

And I'm proof that hardcore pvpers can RP, too.
Don't hate.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ok sorry bout the misinformation it has been a little while.

T

Tazar

I have always played either pure solo (1st 5 years), or with good friends (last 5 years), but I have never really been involved in the role-playing group. I found the article very interesting and it was nice to see yet another facet of our community.

W

Waels

The community has been showing a lot of progress as of late, in my opinion. Compared to times six months to a year ago, the active player base has risen significantly and interaction between guilds has become more prevalent. The truth is, in any community, cliques will exist, it is inevitable. The important thing is that these cliques merge and break when it is needed, so that independent players can find themselves a home in a community.

There are many reasons people may be "outcasted" from a said community, but overly aggressive in PvP form can be extremely unattractive to many RPers and would be a poor first impression to be made. Afterall, to the community, RP comes before PvP.

Vaen is a great example of an excellent PvPer who balances it with RP - Vaen doesn't go out seeking the heads of men (though he certainly would be able to) just to slaughter them, he follows his character's will first.

By the way, happy birthday Vaen. :]

Should anyone be interested in role-playing the darker aspects of the game, the Cult of Morgaz is a small band of former OES members who still follow these pursuits. We are always looking for new fresh blood to bring into the family and we encourage expansion of RP. We just recently have been establishing ourselves a small village in Felucca, and well, I dare not say what else boils in the couldron on the forums, heh. Should you be interested, give me an ICQ at 83811214 and I'll set you up with Azunda, our guildmaster.

I

imported_Ishtar

<blockquote><hr>

The community has been showing a lot of progress as of late, in my opinion. Compared to times six months to a year ago, the active player base has risen significantly and interaction between guilds has become more prevalent. The truth is, in any community, cliques will exist, it is inevitable. The important thing is that these cliques merge and break when it is needed, so that independent players can find themselves a home in a community.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion and with my experience, especially being one of the "outcasts", this is far from true. However, unless one is on the short end of the stick it is a hard concept to grasp. I have been a roleplayer and co-run a roleplay guild for over 8 yrs now, which says a lot about staying power, inspite of our treatment...

I would also advise for those who seem to think all is "peachy", to put themselves in the "outcasts" shoes for a while. It's not so rosey when you get the short end of the stick. "Community" should be just that, and work together, and in the past 6 months to a year, I feel it has degraded.

The lack of respect is appalling for long term and established RP. That it can be just circumvented and disreguarded because people just feel like it. Then again if you are not on the receiving end of such it's easy to say it's OK.

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."

G

Haha, thanks Waeles

And let's not forget. Ya don't gotta be in any community to come to one of the advertised events and RP. Don't even have to be in a guild. Just come and have fun.

Fun - What games are all about.

I

imported_Phyrra

Ish, at first I thought that your post was somewhat biased, and after reading your last post I definately stand by that opinion. But please do not take that as a complaint or anything of the sorts. I can relate, as I'm sure so can Vaen. Being someone who has recently returned to the community, one of the big reasons I left UO was because of the very problems you have stated. Vaen and I came into this community together years ago, along with my husband. We were outcasted severly and there was a lot of drama mainly because we were big on the whole PvP scene, however we always tried to keep things done in a very well formed RP way. However, that didn't always go over so well with those who just either aren't a) into PvP at all really or b) aren't very good at it and get a little butt hurt. So I can definately relate to what you are saying.

However, the one reason I came back (besides Vaen urging me to and many other reasons) was because over the last few years since I have been gone... I have often lurked the ARPC forums during those few nights of insomnia, or while waiting for a BG to pop in WoW. I noticed over the years the amount of drama seriously go down by a drastic amount compared to what it was. When I looked at them again before I returned I saw that the amount of drama wasn't hardly there. (Not to say it isn't just behind closed doors, because I know that is the case a lot.) But it has improved.

The way I see it is like this...Like previously stated, there will always be drama and cliques when you get a large amount of people together like you have with the RP community. Unfortunately, it's unavoidable. It is however human nature. What you can do though.. (and keep in mind this is coming from someone who was one of those outcasts and not one to keep her mouth shut, Vaen can back me up on this) is make the most of the situation, as hard as it might be. While there are those out there who will turn their noses up at people, there are others like myself, Vaen, and others who are willing to open their doors and minds to all. We're willing to help when needed, accept that we won't always agree with people, and have our RP and fun at the same time without letting others ruin it. The best thing to do is bite your tongue at times and leave the others to themselves. Eventually they will realize what they are doing wrong, especially when others stand up against them. Which does happen. There are lots of choices of people and guilds in the community, and you are in no way obligated to abide by what someone else says unless it severly harms the community as a whole.

And you are definately correct in your statements of saying that everything isn't all "peachy" and just because it's popular, doesn't make it right. Nothing is ever "peachy" and the one great thing about human nature is that we are all different. Which makes it good to not do the popular thing all the time. My door is always open. And I am willing to give anyone a chance if they seriously want to RP with me. The only way that will ever change is if you do something to seriously tick me off, and then I'll make sure to let you know.

So in conclusion (Sorry if I ranted.. and I probably still didn't say half of what I could or want to) if you want to RP. Do it. Make your own RP. That is what RP is about. It's about using your imagination to be someone or do something that you can't IRL. Don't let anyone stand in your way, and if they feel the need to "outcast" you.. Well, then it's their loss and eventually, somebody will point out to them what they are doing wrong. Anyways, I think that's it for now.. I'm sure something else will pop in my head later. But Ish, nice report and please keep in mind my door is always open.

And to those who might be new or even not so new to RP, please do abide by the guidelines that Ishtar has posted about. They're very well stated and are good to get your foot in the door.

I

imported_Ishtar

This is why this is an editorial. I will be frank in the past few months I have seen years of lore history and RP ignored because certain people are not within one group. There is drama, trust me but it falls on deaf ears now as people have decidied they will do what they want and to hell with others at this point.

This is totally against what I was taught as an RPer and the disrespect of it is disgraceful. It's very easy for people to see the silver lining when they have never been godmoded, metagamed, stepped on and so forth.

When you are on the receiving end of that it's sucky. Part of why I wrote this piece is not only has it happened to myself but to dear friends of mine who have been RPer's for years. Numerous people have said hey we agree this is wrong, but inaction is just as good as condoning the behavior in my opinion.

It is not ok to disreguard other's RP for personal gain just because they are different and it is not ok to godmode them for the same reason. The excuse that theya re not part of your specific community does not hold water, as if the tables were turned no one would hear the end of it. The double standards need to go, set rules must be followed. Lack of respect for other's RP regardless of what "group" they are in is inexcusable. It does not support unity, but chaos.

I have never left the game since I began playing, there are no gaps or lapses for me. I did not start doing stuff on boards till a few years ago. I fell if you have taken breaks or are new, do your homework and read all the history, go back and read between the lines as it may. It is amazing what people will learn.

Unfortunately, certian things may not be fixed as recent events have forced dear players and good RPer's to leave because of drama. It is a shame that it happens but it is a sordid fact of what happens when people take too much abuse.

I will say this it is a rare breed that can successfully pvp and RP, the combination is not found well balanced often. If you cna di this all the power to you.

I

imported_Ishtar

<blockquote><hr>

My only hope is that it perpetuates a change for the better, a new growth, a rebirth as it will. It would be a shame to see years of work, hopes and dreams destroyed by the lack of willingness to put differences aside, right wrongs and begin anew.

My next question is this, "Where do we go from here?" I set that before all those who roleplay on Atlantic, to dig deep within themselves and ask that. Think about it, digest it. Take to heart your character's history, trials and tribulations. In doing so, may the light of role play not die on Atlantic like is has in other places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I have fun on Atlantic, I have AWESOME role play on Atlantic, I love Atlantic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who is not familiar with the Atlantic Roleplay Community should take note of Dragothien's comment. I have been part of the community for a couple of years and I've loved it. I've 'traveled' to other shards, and have definately enjoyed my visits and met some great people, but Atlantic will always be home and nothing compares to it in my opinion.

That being said...sure there are disagreements and times of tension in the community. Think about it. It is a community composed of several different 'kingdoms', 'cultures', and governments. Each has their own paths and their own sets of goals, values, and traditions. You will naturally have a variance of opinion between the different groups. But in this community there is a system in place to handle these situations and the community works through them together, often with healthy and energetic debate. It is unfortunate when a small minority gets disgruntled and will not stay within the system and work with the community to resolve issues, but my advice to anyone in that position would be "if you feel you have exhausted all efforts to reach a point that you are happy with and are still not happy with how things are, then perhaps it is time to move on and find a place that you can enjoy and have fun in because that is the point of all of this."

In my opinion I strongly disagree with your opinion about the "community splintering". I know there have been some very significant changes and developments over the past several months that some are not happy with, but the community is strong and I haven't seen - from my end of things - such a large potential for roleplay before in the past. For those who don't know me (which would be a large number of you who don't travel to the Tokuno Islands) I have kept relatively isolated to the islands and behind the scenes in the past, however I am working hard to become more involved in the community on a larger scale and hopefully to help it grow.

Final point - if you have a problem work with the leaders in that community to resolve the problem. If, as a group, you are unable to see eye to eye then you must make a decision. Adapt to what the group has decided is best and enjoy your time their or, if you are unable to continue along that path, honorably go your own way and find a community that will provide you with the experiences you are seeking and do not bring down the community that is being left out of spite.

G

Howdy everyone!

When reading this article and making replies, let us keep in mind that the person posting this article is a Reporter, much like the reporters you see on TV or read articles written by them in the Newspapers.

More importantly, keep in mind that News Reporters are people too. People with thoughts, feelings, and of course.. opinions just like the rest of us. It is these opinions, thoughts, and feelings that often drive the creative forces behind many News Articles posted by our Teams of Reporters.

While each and everyone of you have every right to disagree with or have oppossing opinions of said Articles.. no one has the right to tear apart an Article and attack the reporter's opinions and/or article. You may feel free, as always, to constructively give your opinions, thoughts, and feeling on the Article's contents, however. Please just keep in mind that there is a differance between posting oppossing opinions on a discussion at hand and posting a reply that consists of negative opinions directed at the Reporter instead posting opposing opinions than those in the Article.

As always, keep it civil. Complaints about an article should be directed towards [email protected] or any UO Forum Administrator by Private Message.

C

Cear Dallben Zog

<blockquote><hr>

Howdy everyone!

When reading this article and making replies, let us keep in mind that the person posting this article is a Reporter, much like the reporters you see on TV or read articles written by them in the Newspapers.

More importantly, keep in mind that News Reporters are people too. People with thoughts, feelings, and of course.. opinions just like the rest of us. It is these opinions, thoughts, and feelings that often drive the creative forces behind many News Articles posted by our Teams of Reporters.

While each and everyone of you have every right to disagree with or have oppossing opinions of said Articles.. no one has the right to tear apart an Article and attack the reporter's opinions and/or article. You may feel free, as always, to constructively give your opinions, thoughts, and feeling on the Article's contents, however. Please just keep in mind that there is a differance between posting oppossing opinions on a discussion at hand and posting a reply that consists of negative opinions directed at the Reporter instead posting opposing opinions than those in the Article.

As always, keep it civil. Complaints about an article should be directed towards [email protected] or any UO Forum Administrator by Private Message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of losing people based on stratics bias. How about let EVERYONE cite their opintions and attack RP or whatever, just like the reporters?

Make sence? I'll answer. yeah. I cannot belive what is happening

To know what UO Atlantic RP is really about. Zog help you, go here
it is your only hope.
Http://www.thezogcabal.com

G

You further proved my point here. You're attacking the writer(s) (and now all of Stratics?) of an article instead of constructively opposing it with further opinions and possible constructive replies on the topic at hand.

It is an Article. Post something constructive instead of attacking the posters/staff behind the Article.

Dragothien

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orvago,

I can understand your point, and I am sorry for posting heatedly. I simply do not feel that the said reporter really took any of the people she represents into consideration when she wrote this.

As for my opposing opinions:

I feel that it is unfair for Atlantic to be portrayed in such a poor state. As I mentioned earlier, yes Atlantic has had its fair share of problems. Uo has changed quite a bit over there years however, and with it so have the players who inhabbit it and the history that is written within our actions each day we play this game.

Yes there are problems, but you will be hard pressed to find a community that has not suffered plight to some degree. Our strength in our ability to role play is to move past that and continue to role play despite whatever may happen here or there.

More important than the problems themselves is how we respond to those problems. The reason I became so heated over this topic was because I feel that there is a great deal of negativity in what is being said about our role play. At the end of the day, negativity doesn't get us anywhere, just makes us angrier, and it is discouraging. It keeps newer players from wanting to get involved. It divides older players. It encourages bad moods.

I love Atlantic, and its roleplay has always been fantastic, no matter what plagues it. Drama doesn't last. The best thing we can do if there are problems is do our best to determine what has caused them and over come them with a positive outlook. Most importantly still, is to keep role playing.

Forgive me if I interpreted the article to champion the message 'Give up on roleplay.' But whether that was the intention or not, It is something I simply cannot allow.

C

Cear Dallben Zog

To answer (and now all of stratics?)
No. However you all do represent stratics as a whole to us ingnorant site viewers.
your correct Or, adn let me elaborate. You dont know me im sure. but ive seen you for centuries as a mod, your good, your fine, whatever. Im guessing your not a roleplayer. Its assumed, we have a god given right to fight back. this one random person just, and you could/should put it, ATTACKED, about 300 atlantic RPers. oh zog yes. were fighting back. in my 10 years, ive had nothign but epic success. EPIC, success, with RP. My post may not be as constructive as it could have been, but thanks for letting it stay. This is a touchy comment and its a tit-bit scary that stratics reporters can say these things. Rpers take alot. We put up with alot, and we accept alot without even complaining. someitmes we take the worst with histaricall laugher. This isnt cool.

Mainly my concern, and I hope you all understand this. Is that atlantic is UO's main. its where it began. and its where all evolves. All RPers in UO who go to stratics will see this. and that terrifies the [censored] out of me

G

Thank you for your understanding.

I can safely say that I know first hand that Ishtar's aim here was to help revitalize RP on Atlantic and intice people to post ways to improve upon existing problems and hurdles. It was deffinately not aimed to 'Give up on roleplay.' If that were the case, I think not only would Ishtar resign herself (for she too is an RPer) but I would probably be quite upset (as I am a huge RPer myself, for hmm, 16 years running now) and I doubt she would want to upset me.

I've read the article so many times now, looking for fault. I find only that I have a Reporter here with a controversial Article, who reported on her findings objectionably and in an open and upfront manner that allows for users to post their opinions which the goal is ultimately to get the constructive and thought processes flowing to try and find ways to battle possible existing problems within the RP Community.

So, let's leave any further problems one may have with Ishtar or any UO Stratics Staffer to the official channels to discuss such (email: [email protected] or PM any UO Forum Admin) and get back on the topic of the Article itself.

Thanks all, and my apologies for this interruption!

Edit: I'd also like to point out at this time, that Many Reporters who are also Moderators do choose to NOT Moderate their own [News] Articles. When they see something that may need moderated in their Articles, they contact either another Moderator on the forum or an Administrator. Ishtar is one that chooses to not Moderate her News Articles, which is an outstanding decision by her, one I respect greatly. So, to those out there claiming Ishtar is moderating her News Articles.. you're listening to false rumors. Ishtar has not touched this thread save to post her replies or read it.

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Final point - if you have a problem work with the leaders in that community to resolve the problem. If, as a group, you are unable to see eye to eye then you must make a decision. Adapt to what the group has decided is best and enjoy your time their or, if you are unable to continue along that path, honorably go your own way and find a community that will provide you with the experiences you are seeking and do not bring down the community that is being left out of spite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to make clear that the word "you" is not directed towards any one person in particular. It is my advice to anyone who may find themselves in that situation.

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I've read the article so many times now, looking for fault. I find only that I have a Reporter here with a controversial Article, who reported on her findings objectionably and in an open and upfront manner that allows for users to post their opinions which the goal is ultimately to get the constructive and thought processes flowing to try and find ways to battle possible existing problems within the RP Community.

[/ QUOTE ]

While there is some constructive discussion going on here, I disagree with the labeling of this as "News". Such a label indicates the reporting of facts. There were no factual findings, just personal opinions based on a few isolated events. Reporting this as "News" makes it sound like a widespread plague that is engulfing the community, and this is clearly not the case 'in my opinion'. Calling it an Editorial does not change anything - While it is an opinion article, it is still not supported to the degree to be classified as an opinion on factual news.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Unfortunately, the community overall, is splintering. The lack of respect for years of previous role play and the feuds from what is referred to as out of character have left wedges. All the energies being used are not being put to the best use, instead of creativity and unification, it is being put towards undermining and besting other people. This is a change that I feel will ultimately destroy role play on the Atlantic shard.

[/ QUOTE ]

First before I comment, a quick run through of my roleplay cred before I step out on the line here-
<ul>
[*]Former Event Moderator [Legends]
[*]Former Seer [Lake Superior]
[*]Former Lead Reporter [Stratics Atlantic]
[*]Last of the Nikaspawn Green Robed Freaks
[*]Founder and Mayor of the Moonglow Town Council, a 7 year old Town Council Guild.
[*]2nd Seat, The Council of Mages [Former operator of the comprehensive faction site]
[*]Co-Founder of The Heralds of the Awakening, Sage of Honesty[/b]
[/list]

That said, I have seen many folks come and go in our roleplay community on Atlantic. I have, in my time, seen shining empires rise to blazing heights and crash years later on the jagged rocks of some unexpected expansion or shift in community paradigm. I have seen heroes and zeroes swap places overnight, Generals and Regents and Lich Lords and rampant Exodus-inspired automatons and snarling orcs sieze control over island chains with executions and marches and festivals and marriages, funerals, celebrations of every mark and variety under the Sosarian sun.

I was so inspired by the community of Atlantic that I, and several of my colleagues that played in that bygone era have made community our career. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that there have always been those individuals within the community that cry in the same tune that "Atlantic roleplay is dead or dying! Behold, these are the signs of its death knell!".

Splintering and fracturing are parts of an overall ebb and flow of community on the shard. Noticing the cracks and raising the alarm is a senseless and time-wasting activity. It's akin to complaining about the sand at the beach being washed away. Yes, it is being taken, but look there and over there, it is restored with each new wave that breaks upon the shore. On this, you may mark my words - Roleplay and Community on Atlantic will survive until they pull the plug.

But on the topic of roleplay itself, I can't help but disagree with the bulk of your post and the light in which it was written. Roleplay cannot be an exclusionary force on the server - it has to be inclusionary. One of the greatest reasons that MTC survived as long as it has, outliving even the most staunchest and entrenched rivals was because it embraced the following truth - Roleplayers... are not born. They are converted from d00dz, and newbs, and PvPers. No roleplayer comes into being as a roleplayer - she was almost always something else to begin with, and that conversion begins with offering a choice to join the roleplay community. Whether it be out of boredom, altruism, personal development or just the sheer fun of social interaction on a fantasy level, a roleplayer is brought into being through the inclusive will of the community and the presence of that choice.

I notice that you've set down a number of rules and assumptions about how to conduct roleplay. Let me just say that this is not for everyone, and the community itself varies from spot to spot. In the "olden days", which you will never find me referring to as "golden era", there were almost weekly attempts to codify rules of engagement and interaction, with an active blacklist maintained against those who went against the grain. These varied based on the game physics themselves, and were almost never universally applied. My point? Don't fret over the rules. They'll kill your fun in the end if you let them.

The most important thing to remember while roleplaying is to have fun. If you aren't having fun, then the game has become work, and you will grow to hate it and the community that your toil represents. Relax, pick up roleplay at your own pace, develop your character as best you can and as original as you can, and make sure you have a great deal of fun and make a lot of friends while doing it. If a group of people don't want to roleplay with you, you don't have to roleplay with them. It's a big community, and if you can't find a part of it that you like or that likes you, INVENT a NEW part of it. Take over Vesper and set up a Pirate Village, recruit five of your good friends and put on a color coordinated show at West Britain Bank, get yourself a bunch of kindling and burn Lord British's castle in effigy. You'll attract the attention you need to convert those would-be RPers and make life a little more interesting for the server.

Ultimately, the roleplaying community on Atlantic is now stronger than it has ever been, and it continues to grow in new ways. Oh, there might be some weary-eyed old fogey like myself who pipes up about the "good ol' days", but take this with a grain of salt. Nostalgia is a powerful force and has its place, but it should never control the attitudes of those living in the now.

Warm Regards,
GreyPawn

G

Calling it an Editorial is not only fitting for this Article, it is also accurate to it's deffinition: <blockquote><hr>

ed·i·to·ri·al (&amp;#277;d'&amp;#301;-tôr'&amp;#275;-&amp;#601;l, -t&amp;#333;r'-)
n.

1) An article in a publication expressing the opinion of its editors or publishers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I am done pointing these things out in this thread. If anything further comes about that needs me to Moderate here, expect it to be removed and formal warnings sent. (So far, all the messages I have sent have been unofficial in nature and not marked in one's records.)

I just hope more posters post constuctively and objectionably like Phyrra, Alagos, and GreyPawn to name a few, have done. Thank you all and please carry on.

Dragothien

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She may have intended to revitalize Rp, but I'm sorry I just don't feel that way when I read this. To me she just seems angry, as Angry as I was when I read this. It just doesn't feel constructive. It is negative negative negative without any real suggestions or questions on how to improve the community. It is several statements in a row suggesting a poor outlook. (Or at least this is what I see when I read it.)

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

- This is a very serious accusation to throw at a very large group of people. I will not deny that unfortunately such things do occurr, but not as such a day to day practice! I like to think that people are generally good.

<blockquote><hr>

The community is more like high school it has it's cliques and groups

[/ QUOTE ]

-To a degree this is true, but it could be said that rp communities are big cliques in general. Pvp guilds are big cliques in general. The uo player base in general, is a big clique. This sort of thing happens, I think what makes the difference is your outlook.

<blockquote><hr>

So what will it take to repair this, honestly I am not sure. In my opinion, it may not be salvageable. For some players the damage has been done and has left a huge rift. The out of character animosities are irreversible and have bled into people's roleplay to the point where they are now inseparable. There is a lack of personal accountability, and rules that were created are no longer being enforced. The standard has been lowered to the point that there is little if any quality role play left.

[/ QUOTE ]

-This statement over all is perhaps most damaging. I'm sorry but I can't begin to fathom why this could be said and beleived to be true. This is why I felt that there was a general 'give up on roleplay attitude'. This is a blanket statement. To me this says that Atlantic RP has been damaged beyong repair and that the future looks Ill. I'd have to disagree. Instead I would say that Atlantic has had its share of problems, but is still going. There are still friendships being forged ona daily basis and there is still a LOT of rp and a lot of creativity in plots and writing. Rules are followed by many many role players, and yes they are broken, but it doesn't stop the roleplay.

As to standards and quality role play - I role play with people on atlantic every day, and I am not so easily or so frequently dissapointed. I always have fun.

Where do we go from here?

I shall support Atlantic role play in game, in character, out of character, and on every forum I can get my hands on. In IRC, at townhalls, and in ventrillo servers. I will continue to contribute all that I can to all that is role play, and in between I will be civil with my fellow players and when we come to our differences I will make a few comprimises and do the best I can.

To sum it up, let us lead by example, do what we can, and move on. Dwelling on all the wrongs of the past won't help us.

G

See, now this is what I was hoping for, serious and constructive feedback (minus your very first parahraph which I will over-look cause it is on the topic of things I posted, let's just keep clear of that topic from now on, ok?). Thanks!

I

imported_Ishtar

I'm going to clarify a few things, this was in no way meant to portray a "negative" picture. As I am concerned for the shrinking RP population just as much as any if not all the RPers on this shard. As I have lost some close friends who were exceptional RPers on this shard due to issues mentioned in my article as well as other reasons. My goal here was to show what is considered good RP and the mistakes I have witnessed that have caused issues in the past, present and tend to recur in the future.

If there is a true community for RP, then we must work together, and be open to ALL. Insults, fighting and so forth will be inevitable, however if this energy is used to create new events, interest and so forth to rebuild and strengthen the community it would be far better off as whole and grow more. The roleplay community will always be evolving, there will always be changes and nuances, some that are great others that aren't, thus is the cycle of roleplay and life.

Atlantic is my home, I have never played on another shard. I don't intend to either. However like with any community there are issues and problems, whether it be RP, PVP, or any other type of game experience you can think of. With all this in mind, I have never claimed to be perfect as I have made my fair share of mistakes and done have things I regret. However, I have made that clear not only on this venue but others as well in various articles and posts.

Please do not put words in my mouth or assume to know what I was thinking as this was not meant to be spiteful in the slightest. Ironically, not a single person who disagrees with my opinions has actually asked me about them. Yet they have been quick to pass judgement and make assumptions as to my thoughts and motives. This was in no way meant to be spiteful in the slightest, rather than an observation. There are many who'd love to point the finger as to my faults actions and so forth, however I'd like to see those same people turn that finger around and ask if they are completely free from sin themselves?

K

KingSidhe

As far as the shrinking RP population on atlantic, we should look at the overall populace of the shard. Not only is the RP community shrinking a LITTLE, very Little as far as I can tell, but the entire shard population is as well.

A year ago, Mel was almost always camped. Other popular sites were as well such as swoops, Travesty, etc. Now, you have to look for people to do peerless runs if you are not a part of a large guild like RK.

Another reason that I say that the population of the shard is smaller, is that housing is much more readily available these days. In the last 6 months, I have helped about 15 people place a house. I have attended many IDOCs, and can say that as I stroll through the lands, there are a lot more spaces to place than there was a year ago.

So if you say that the RP Community is shrinking, you must look at the general populace as well.

C

Cear Dallben Zog

This is just to be fair, Wicked knows id marry her

<blockquote><hr>

I'm going to clarify a few things, this was in no way meant to portray a "negative" picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
It really did. I just feel this entails what most saw in reading this. if not everyone, save orgavo ofcourse.
the flaws you point out are singled down to UO, then Atlantic, then RP, then guilds within. some guild masters take that as an offence towards them, their actions, their guilds, and their roleplay.

<blockquote><hr>

Ironically, not a single person who disagrees with my opinions has actually asked me about them. Yet they have been quick to pass judgement and make assumptions as to my thoughts and motives.

[/ QUOTE ]
No one on atlantic was asked about this post before it went live.
now its an issue of who gets free speech.

I

imported_Ishtar

It is the overall populace that is shrinking as well, even from a year ago. UO as fun as it is still has outdated grpahics etc. even with KR, though I can never get that to work right. It may not be enough to keep things going forever as nothing does last that long.

The appeal of UO was and still is its ability for socialization and interaction.

G

I've had some time to review quite a bit of data as well as quite a few personal messages and emails. At this point, I am deciding to close up this thread as I see that this topic has caused way too much turmoil and needless drama.

Please know, it is not the intent of Stratics to cause or encourage drama, tyrrany, and strife. While I personally do not see anything wrong with this thread, I do see the affect it has caused and am therefore deciding that this topic, in it's current form, does not warrant the need to remain unlocked.

As always, my inbox is open for your comments, complaints, suggestions and other data for reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.