• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newbies- Here's what to expect

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! Sums it up. Thanks to the geniuses that decided it was a good idea to use your email as your login. During my first week my email along with who knows how many others was stolen from an email server and all the accounts, including mine, got hacked. I know there were a large number of accounts hacked Friday night. All of my characters were deleted and replaced with characters with names such as "fklljsd" that were used to spam messages about selling gold online. I woke up this morning and found that my account had been banned for spam abuse. I further learned that there is no phone number that you can call Blizzard with, you have to email them (which I did). The canned response says they will look into it and it may be a long time before you here anything - furthermore, there is no way to get any kind of status on the investigation. Looks like I'm out the $100+ I spent buying the game/expansions and game time! I'd say that apparently Blizzard could care less, but since there is no way for me to talk to them about this I really can't say that for sure.

Anyone else get hacked like this recently?

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup. Ten years of hardcore MMO gaming and never been hacked until Warcraft came along, putting my email address out there.

Got hacked. Watched them sell all my stuff. Paged. Apologized to guild mates. Got my stuff and account back as a matter of principle.

Then quit and came back to UO. Will never play WoW again.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup. Ten years of hardcore MMO gaming and never been hacked until Warcraft came along, putting my email address out there.

Got hacked. Watched them sell all my stuff. Paged. Apologized to guild mates. Got my stuff and account back as a matter of principle.

Wellcome back to UO! Actually I was here because I am actualyl interested in the game.

Mister McFeely

WoW Noob!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

People used to get hacked (and probably still do) in UO all the time. Your e-mail address has nothing to do with it. Battle net has nothing to do with it. You are stratics staff don't spread misinformation its unprofessional. Your security was lax somewhere. /boggle

B

Bud_Weiser

People used to get hacked (and probably still do) in UO all the time. Your e-mail address has nothing to do with it. Battle net has nothing to do with it. You are stratics staff don't spread misinformation its unprofessional. Your security was lax somewhere. /boggle
/agree.

Pretty unprofessional.

I

Ilysess

Stratics staff are drawn from members of the community and therefore have varying experiences with gaming. Staff are entitled to share and comment on experiences just like any poster.

This was a player experience and not misinformation or unprofessional in any way.

Mister McFeely

WoW Noob!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stratics staff are drawn from members of the community and therefore have varying experiences with gaming. Staff are entitled to share and comment on experiences just like any poster.

This was a player experience and not misinformation or unprofessional in any way.
*sigh* Wow seriously? Its misinformation plain and simple. You don't join wow and just automatically get hacked. Joining wow does not just put you out there to get hacked. I know staff is drawn from the community. I was once AE of this site.