• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newbie seeking advice

D

Deornoth

Hi,

I'm more or less novice UO-player. I played years ago, mosty on sucky freeshards. I thought, I'd be nice try official server for a change.

I'm just wondering is UO really worth of trying after all these years? How hard its for a newbie to get a decent gear and some gold? And hows the community/population on this server? Is this a ghost town server?

Thanks

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, it's not a ghost town

We have a couple of guilds who help people get started, HLP and SAOR, probably reps of those guilds will arrive here later.

The community is one of the best around, supportive, helpful and friendly

Whether uo is worth trying is a matter of personal choice. I've been around 8 years and counting, I've no plans for quitting yet.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could probably find you a location for a house and give you some gold to place a plot :)

C

cheerfulx

The only way to know for sure is to try it !
Check out the guilds Petra suggested or just keep firing questions on the forums.

D

Deornoth

I could probably find you a location for a house and give you some gold to place a plot :)
I'd be nice. Fortunately, I've some gold left. Found my old trial account :). Now I'm trying to figure out why KR runs so slowly on my vista laptop.

S

SilentFoxXy

If there is anything you need, advice, items, etc, please feel free to ICQ, 450-150-281 or PM me on here,Im in game 14 hrs a day.

I have a mall set up for the Newer players, with most items you would need, and if I meet you, I usually give it all away free ;)

Just shout:)

CatT

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have a couple of guilds who help people get started, HLP and SAOR, probably reps of those guilds will arrive here later.

Wooo! I beat Padric in the race to be the HLP poster...

Deornoth, feel free to either wander around Haven with your "young" badge showing, and wait until we find you, or send me an ICQ when you are going to be ingame, and I'll kit you out with some decent basic stuff.

If you want a healer when you go hunting, please just ask.

(by the way.... Welcome)

K

kray2s

hello,

i really suggest u come and play with us in the saor guild :) lots of helpful people and lots of knowledge in the heads of us oldies that are around - although saying that saor and hlp guilds are kinda friendly with each other so whichever u choose u wont go wrong :)

If ur interested PM me here and i will put you in touch with our saor guild leader or u can icq me on - 321 787 755 (dreamweaver)

hope to be hearing from you soon:)

K

Kiminality

Re: KR
KR's performance is a little inconsistent. Some people with high-end gaming rigs report terrible performance, while others can get decent performance with 4-year-old systems.
I'm surprised no one's leapt in on this yet, but I suppose this is far enough distant from Uhall.
The development of KR is somewhat stalled. Where it's going... Who knows?
As a vague advocate of KR, I have to say it's worth giving it a chance. It stands for good things, and isn't as bad as many claim. But, it's also not as good as some claim, too. It has problems, so if you give it a go, and it just doesn't work for you, you might want to try the 2D client.
But, for the benefit of the "trying KR" thing, I've heard many good things about the Bitter Black skin for it (can find it on uoskins (version 3.1 is the latest)).

B

Birdseye

1st time i've ever heard of the 'skins' for the game. They look great.

Are you able to change the appearence of the 2d client as well?

D

Deornoth

Re: KR
KR's performance is a little inconsistent. Some people with high-end gaming rigs report terrible performance, while others can get decent performance with

Yeah, KR was just too slow(and my sucky gfx-card), so i installed 2d-client. Which seems to be okay, combined with UO-assist.

oh, and i wanna thank everyone who helped me with the questions i asked. its good to be back ingame(4 days without internet ) *withdrawal symptoms*

S

SilentFoxXy

oh, and i wanna thank everyone who helped me with the questions i asked. its good to be back ingame(4 days without internet ) *withdrawal symptoms*
Did wonder where you'd got to:) Glad all sorted.

CatT