• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Newbie Question(s)

C

CarverMG

Since, I cant make a forum account on the site, might as well post here :)

Anyways, I bought the game on Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. My question is what is the best Melee DD?

I was looking into doing a kamel zerker or SB and wondering which would be a better fit. I mean i want a class that doesnt suck.

Also, When Doing the Gracia Full Install on Fileplanet, the 4gb download.. Would it be easier to patch that and play with my game code, or since i got the 4yr anniversary box with all the games, should i install that and patch that one?
Thanks any help would be great :p

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If possible, you want to download the game online. Reason is it patches faster than the bought box. But, it takes a bit of time either way.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since, I cant make a forum account on the site, might as well post here :)

Anyways, I bought the game on Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. My question is what is the best Melee DD?

I was looking into doing a kamel zerker or SB and wondering which would be a better fit. I mean i want a class that doesnt suck.

Also, When Doing the Gracia Full Install on Fileplanet, the 4gb download.. Would it be easier to patch that and play with my game code, or since i got the 4yr anniversary box with all the games, should i install that and patch that one?
Thanks any help would be great :p
Sorry, meant to quote what you said. Anyways, the Gracial Final should not take long to install since most people installed it already.

As far as melee DD's, many are good. It really depends on your flavor. As far as kamael's go, you will have to keep in mind that for end game stages, you will not be able to sub any of the other races subs except for kamaels...so that is some food for thought.

Do you like straight up melee fighting or do you like sneaky attacks? I personally play a kamael but...that's only due to the fact that I want to class to an Inspector.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

C

CarverMG

Well, I dont mind being a Khamel or not, i just saw that from reading the little that i had, Berserkers or SB were the best bet i thought..
But im either looking for a DD in single target fast attack.
or AoE High DD..

Is Gracia the full client or is it just a sub expansion because i can load the game off 4gb's and that just doesnt feel right

J

jkoster

Gracia is the full client. Rather than issuing new expansions a la Everquest or World of Warcraft, Lineage 2 has a straight patch program. The updates are free, and the totality of your download from Fileplanet is the most current build of the game.

It may require some patching, as there have been maintenance updates here and there since its launch, but overall, what you download is what you play.

Incidentally, without using the Gracia Final (or patching your box up via the updater) you will not be able to play on the Official servers. The protocols (I think) prevent it.

Welcome to Lineage 2. I hope your time here is constructive and enjoyable.
Regarding your initial question:

The Kamael are particularly nasty. I've run up against a Zerker that cleaned my clock (More precisely, made me clean my own clock: Frenzied Destroyer using a skill while Strike Back was turned on = Dead Destroyer). The Soul Breakers tend to be fast and tricky.

Outside of the Kamael, however, my personal preference is my Treasure Hunter. That is a human Fighter > Rogue > Treasure Hunter (dagger class). I enjoy him for his large (and frequent) critical hits, his speed, and his overall sustainability.

I must end this with a warning, however:

I SUCK at PVP. I enjoy the PvE aspect of the game, as well as the Role-Playing community and clan interactions, and to a lesser extent, the market.

The enjoyment I find in L2 is that it can truly be whatever you wish it to be. Sometimes, it just takes a little (okay, a LOT) of work.

C

CarverMG

Well Thank you. Personally I will just install the game from Disc, because i dont know why thats what i always do, However if it takes longer than FFXI to patch ill just say screw it..
I think i may go berserker...
Also, Is it really worth it to start up this game or should i go with a friend back to ffxi.. I say this because he called me at 3am last night and started ranting on how he wanted to go back ><
Do Treasure hunters however have the ability to find more loot like Treasure hunter is for thiefs in FFXI?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Thank you. Personally I will just install the game from Disc, because i dont know why thats what i always do, However if it takes longer than FFXI to patch ill just say screw it..
I think i may go berserker...
Also, Is it really worth it to start up this game or should i go with a friend back to ffxi.. I say this because he called me at 3am last night and started ranting on how he wanted to go back ><
Do Treasure hunters however have the ability to find more loot like Treasure hunter is for thiefs in FFXI?
Well personally speaking, the FFXI patches would take some time for me so I see little difference. As long as you have a...key word here, GOOD computer, it should not be an issue. I have played FFXI and quite frankly, I think jkoster gave some good information. I too play an assassin-based class.

They are a lot of fun, especially the Treasure Hunter (TH). With abilities like relax and dash you can eliminate down time to almost no rest in addition to outrunning a train of mobs. Think of dash like a high tech flee in L2. Sure flee may last longer overall, but then you have a long cooldown time of 5 minutes or so. With Dash I can reuse it roughly every minute should I so choose...AND it still lasts almost as long as flee.

In addition now to answering your other question, I would not say its along the same constraints...however, IT IS similar. The higher the level I get, the greater ability I have to open certain level chests. Its nice because otherwise you need the applicable key in order to open the chest and it is no guarantee for a normal player that the chest will open.

Once you start hitting level 4 chests and beyond...you can luck out and get pretty good items which you can then sell or keep for yourself. AND, quite frankly, the items are better than anything you find in FFXI.

Oh...did I mention that, you can ACTUALLY solo proficiently in this game on an assassin? Can you in FFXI? Yeah sure...to an extent. I've played end game thief in that game though and in my personal opinion, thieves in Lineage II are more fun.

You also get a slew of moves that you don't get in FFXI. Bleed attacks, mortal wound, in addition to some nifty teleport moves that can make you disappear and reappear behind your enemy. Something like that anyways. You won't get that till you approach end game level though. BUT...Fear not, the journey is rewarding.

C

CarverMG

So in your Opinion what would ya suggest, because your TH sounds fun, but still stuck on the berserker aspect..

Either TH or Zerker.. for a newbie to go with.

And my friend called a few hours ago stating its 90$ to buy the full game for Ps2 since they no longer support ps2 rather they support ps3 o_O so he left me in the dust *Cries*

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So in your Opinion what would ya suggest, because your TH sounds fun, but still stuck on the berserker aspect..

Either TH or Zerker.. for a newbie to go with.

And my friend called a few hours ago stating its 90$ to buy the full game for Ps2 since they no longer support ps2 rather they support ps3 o_O so he left me in the dust *Cries*
Well...I can't dictate your playing style, but just so you know...both can wear leather armor. Neither can wear heavy armor since you have no mastery's for heavy armor. e.g. neither are tanks like a Paladin or even Bladedancer for that matter.

Let's put it this way. Treasure Hunter is not my highest level character I have but...it's the funnest. You have some alternatives as well with the elf class and the dark elf class. Plains walker is the elf rogue (40 to 76) and then Abyss Walker is the dark elf rogue class (40 to 76).

Either class you pick...you can get to a relatively high level on your OWN...being smart about where you level. This isn't FFXI, where you HAVE to have people to level with (although it helps later).

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a tidbit too and to add a bit to what Jkoster said. Regardless of what class you choose, you will run into PvP at some point. EACH class has a weakness and better said, some players are better than others in PvP.

Those things said, you CAN learn techniques to enhance your survivability. Some classes aren't good left on their own. Either one you want to pick fares pretty well on their own.

C

CarverMG

Well, How bout this.. Can ya earn more through thievary with TH vs just smashing things with Zerker?

J

jkoster

Well, How bout this.. Can ya earn more through thievary with TH vs just smashing things with Zerker?
Not as you're thinking, unfortunately. You cannot steal from other players or mobs.

You do have an unlock skill that uses a "Key of Thief" item to open treasure chests (warning, not all of them are mundane. Some are mimics that would love nothing more than to take your arm off) and those can contain some... decent items. Nothing major: sometimes enchant scrolls, mostly just a little money.

The class that can "take" things in a manner similar to your thief in FFXI is the dwarven Bounty Hunter. They have a Spoil skill that, if it works, allows them to "sweep" a target for items.

It would be the closest equivalent to stealing or thieving in Lineage 2.

One thing I would say is this: You have seven character slots per server. Getting a character from 1-20 is a matter of minutes these days, thanks to the Fast Track quests (which I am currently working on detailing an entire section to here at Stratics). I can take a character from 1-18 in roughly 45 minutes, then start my class change and be 20 within an hour and a half of starting the character.

My advice would be to try out a little of each of the classes, keeping in mind that they don't really start to get interesting until about 55, when their bread and butter skills really start to come into play.

As a disclaimer, I am STILL having fun with a level 22 character, but that's more because of the company I keep than the class.

And yes, I have two accounts that are full. That's just how much I like to experiment (and, as a role-player, provide an outlet for the various voices, err... muses that I play host to).

This game is very much what you make of it. A little experimenting to find what works for you can never hurt.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jkoster already discussed it really. You can go bounty hunter and then "steal" stuff from mobs so to speak by sweeping. You do not have a job ability like steal per say. Lineage II used a more medieval concept for a thief than FFXI which is really more fantasy than any time period (since FFXI has their own time period).

C

CarverMG

Alright, I will try TH.. I started one on Aria, the Name Direth :)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright, I will try TH.. I started one on Aria, the Name Direth :)
Cool...okay :). Well I have two mid-range level buffers on Aria. So once you get your class change...if you need some fighting buffs or someone to level with I have a 52 bladedancer.

T

Tonedeafgnome

i am a lvl 15 kameal warrior, i am trying to equipt a sheild but every time i try to it says you do not meet the required condition to equipt that item... can you help me?

C

CaptRex

You need to increase the required stat on your character to use that item.. You have to put additional Stat on your CON.. Check the CON requirement on that item..