• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New UO player.

Melancholy

Visitor
Hey all, figured I'd post this since I'll probably be spending some time reading here anyway.

Completely new UO player, but not new to sandbox/full loot MMOs.

Playing on Atlantic shard, for anyone curious.

I have a few small questions so far, the main one being how do I go about repairing gear? I'm a melee focused character and don't have blacksmithing or other related craft to self repair. I read about deeds but I'm not sure if they're worth it due to the loss of durability points?

Second question, I pretty much plan to PVM for 90% of my playtime, so as someone who prefers melee builds, what would be decent choices skills wise? Currently I'm doing these skills.

Bushido
Swordsmanship
Chivalry
Anatomy
Parrying
Tactics
Resisting Spells.

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hey all, figured I'd post this since I'll probably be spending some time reading here anyway.

Completely new UO player, but not new to sandbox/full loot MMOs.

Playing on Atlantic shard, for anyone curious.

I have a few small questions so far, the main one being how do I go about repairing gear? I'm a melee focused character and don't have blacksmithing or other related craft to self repair. I read about deeds but I'm not sure if they're worth it due to the loss of durability points?

Second question, I pretty much plan to PVM for 90% of my playtime, so as someone who prefers melee builds, what would be decent choices skills wise? Currently I'm doing these skills.

Bushido
Swordsmanship
Chivalry
Anatomy
Parrying
Tactics
Resisting Spells.

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!
Yes, you will need to use repair deeds if you don't have a blacksmith. Make sure they are from a legendary blacksmith (that's 120 skill) for best results. At times you will lose durability but it doesn't matter til you get to really high end gear. Also, that template is a good one (called Dragoon) just be aware the skill cap is 720 (maybe lower for new accounts? 700?).you will need +skill jewelry to fit those skills in. To start I'd drop resist from that template until you are higher skilled. Shoot for FC/FCR jewelry to speed up chiv healing/cures.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
The damage bonus from anatomy is nice, but unless you're going for a max damage lumberjacking type template, not necessarily enough to justify having it on your template without healing. I would agree with the above post and set resist spells to decrease, buy up some healing, start using it while you play til you have a chance to actively train it.

You'll fail a lot at first, but later on you'll see how useful a stack of bandages can be. Particularly useful for a newer player who may not be able to rely on good gear for fast chiv heals or good damage to leech back life.

Repair deeds are cheap as dirt, and on atl Tatiana Thorn and others often leave stacks of repairs around new haven and Luna bank. Nothing beats free off the ground! And as Xris said that's your only choice for repairs in this game, the maximum durability loss is really a non-issue, but does get a little cringy on high end items. And even then you still must use them.

Many have, but I will say right now in 12 years of playing I've never seen an item poof from the inevitable durability loss. If youve already got some pixels you are flinching at the thought of losing, theres an item called powder of fortification that repairs 10 points of durability as well as adding 10 points of maximum, up to 255, assuming the item isn't imbued.

Melancholy

Visitor
Yes, you will need to use repair deeds if you don't have a blacksmith. Make sure they are from a legendary blacksmith (that's 120 skill) for best results. At times you will lose durability but it doesn't matter til you get to really high end gear. Also, that template is a good one (called Dragoon) just be aware the skill cap is 720 (maybe lower for new accounts? 700?).you will need +skill jewelry to fit those skills in. To start I'd drop resist from that template until you are higher skilled. Shoot for FC/FCR jewelry to speed up chiv healing/cures.
Alright, thanks a bunch for the info. I figured deeds might be required but wasn't sure how likely I was to lose durability or if it was a huge deal in the first place. As far as I've read/seen new players still have a 720 skill cap according to the official UO site, in the section regarding Endless Journey (though I plan to sub soon, so any restrictions will be lifted anyway.) I'm assuming +skill jewelry are just rings/neck with +x skill as a modifier? If so, seems simple enough.

The damage bonus from anatomy is nice, but unless you're going for a max damage lumberjacking type template, not necessarily enough to justify having it on your template without healing. I would agree with the above post and set resist spells to decrease, buy up some healing, start using it while you play til you have a chance to actively train it.

You'll fail a lot at first, but later on you'll see how useful a stack of bandages can be. Particularly useful for a newer player who may not be able to rely on good gear for fast chiv heals or good damage to leech back life.

Repair deeds are cheap as dirt, and on atl Tatiana Thorn and others often leave stacks of repairs around new haven and Luna bank. Nothing beats free off the ground! And as Xris said that's your only choice for repairs in this game, the maximum durability loss is really a non-issue, but does get a little cringy on high end items. And even then you still must use them.

Many have, but I will say right now in 12 years of playing I've never seen an item poof from the inevitable durability loss. If youve already got some pixels you are flinching at the thought of losing, theres an item called powder of fortification that repairs 10 points of durability as well as adding 10 points of maximum, up to 255, assuming the item isn't imbued.
Ohh thanks for letting me know a few names to look for! And I'm sure bandages are great, I just wasn't quite sure how much damage I'd be taking later in the game; so I didn't know if investing in Healing/Bandages was worth it. So far no mobs have been particularly scary, but I kind of expected that this early in.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Alright, thanks a bunch for the info. I figured deeds might be required but wasn't sure how likely I was to lose durability or if it was a huge deal in the first place. As far as I've read/seen new players still have a 720 skill cap according to the official UO site, in the section regarding Endless Journey (though I plan to sub soon, so any restrictions will be lifted anyway.) I'm assuming +skill jewelry are just rings/neck with +x skill as a modifier? If so, seems simple enough.
Yeah but just some advice, don't use much +skill jewelry til you understand a bit more. For a warrior having HCI DCI and dex/Stam are extremely important. +skill jewelry is usually for higher end templates and training certain skills more efficiently.