• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Treasure Chest Loot Guessing Game

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Its going to be hard to fix all the design mistakes made in this game in one fell swoop.

If you really wanted to fix the game to make it more fun to hunt and find loot:

1 - Wipe everything
2 - Shorten the list of mods available on items
3 - Make things wear out or break must faster (IE you can repair an item 20 times and then it breaks)
4 - Spawn loot that is more consistent so you can replace the same loot via hunting
5 - Allow imbuing to replace properties (replace Luck with HCI or whatever)

This would make it such that you could craft a suit and reasonably replace a piece that broke by finding another like piece and replacing a mod with imbuing for example.
Albion Online does basically this. It gets old pretty quickly.

Can we be a little honest. Some, if not most? people here are either (or, in my case... all three!)
a) masochists
b) hoarders
c) addictive personalities

If you make the game simpler, with less items that have no attachment value... these people will leave.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Its going to be hard to fix all the design mistakes made in this game in one fell swoop.

• The issues are - too many mods for items with nearly half undesirable (lower req, reflect dmg etc etc).
  • Things wear out too slowly and essentially never break (my sampire has been wearing and reparing the same armor for 5 years or more).
  • Replacing items with exact versions is only possible with imbuing.
  • Property inflation (remember when a 25 DI weapon was standard and 40% was godly? now you can make 50% if you want).

If you really wanted to fix the game to make it more fun to hunt and find loot:

1 - Wipe everything
2 - Shorten the list of mods available on items
3 - Make things wear out or break must faster (IE you can repair an item 20 times and then it breaks)
4 - Spawn loot that is more consistent so you can replace the same loot via hunting
5 - Allow imbuing to replace properties (replace Luck with HCI or whatever)

This would make it such that you could craft a suit and reasonably replace a piece that broke by finding another like piece and replacing a mod with imbuing for example.

Imagine that loot dropped with something like this:

Mage Arms

Basic 10/10/10/10/10 Mana 2 LMC 4 LRC 10 Int 2
Strong 12/12/12/12/12 Mana 4 LMC 6 LRC 15 Int 3
Advanced 15/15/15/15/15 Mana 6 LMC 8 LRC 20 Int 4
Legendary 20/20/20/20 Mana 8 LMC 10 LRC 25 Int 5

Then you could always replace with something similar. Obviously you can change the resist spread or whatever but again - if my Advanced arms that I found and replaced LRC with Stamina via imbuing were to break - I would find or buy another one from loot and replace and go back to adventuring.

Simplify this crap and then spend all your development time on events, new things to explore, etc. STOP messing with loot, bods, crafting and other systems. Lets get back to an adventure game.

Look at damn Fortnite. Kids PLAY the game. They adventure over and over again - they lose all their stuff at the end of a game and don't care because everyone started with nothing every game. ITS FUN because you aren't sitting around in front of a spreadsheet trying to figgure out if this new gorget will fit into your suit.

I guarantte you UO isn't making $2.3B a year. It could be tho if you but the right minds on it.
It's funny, I was typing up a post with basically these same ideas. I got busy and when I came back I saw this. Yeah, loot is totally broken. My idea was quite a bit different but the same concept. So I'm not going to bother posting it.

Simple loot that needs replaced frequently is the ticket. Spending an hour or two farming should be all it takes to come up with a decent suit that is completely usable. What is the point of having minor magic items? Does anyone besides me use them? No. So why are they there? Replace them with imbueing ingredients. Allow crafters to make good, middle of the road equipment for when you just want to get out and adventure without spending an hour or two to get equipped.

People who need to hoard stuff or whatever have other things to collect. Gear shouldn't have to be one of them. But all of this is moot because if we did that everyone would be up in arms because they paid x amount of gold for their equipment and don't want to lose it.

I am done talking about this treasure hunting thing for now. It doesn't affect me at all unfortunately I'll always have to read posts of people complaining that they can't be invincible and kill everything in one hit. I'm happy with the changes only because they came at the players' request. Like I said originally: You made your bed and now you have to lie in it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have dozens of characters... I don't want to suit swap that would be annoying as all get out... I also don't want all my characters dressing exactly alike again boring...

And the LAST thing I want is to have to replace items for over a dozen characters I'd spend all my time finding replacement items for things and zero time doing anything enjoyable or fun...

I'd rather not worry about getting my next suit item I need to replace and worry more about having fun with friends. I would hate even more to be enjoying time with friends when all the sudden 2 or 3 of us have to stop what we are doing to go replace a piece of our suit as it got destroyed... again NOT fun.

If that's your idea of fun then I'm sorry for you.

but that's not my idea of fun... that's like going out doing something and having your car run out of gas or your cell phone die and no charger. Stops the fun real fast.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's funny, I was typing up a post with basically these same ideas. I got busy and when I came back I saw this. Yeah, loot is totally broken. My idea was quite a bit different but the same concept. So I'm not going to bother posting it.

Simple loot that needs replaced frequently is the ticket. Spending an hour or two farming should be all it takes to come up with a decent suit that is completely usable. What is the point of having minor magic items? Does anyone besides me use them? No. So why are they there? Replace them with imbueing ingredients. Allow crafters to make good, middle of the road equipment for when you just want to get out and adventure without spending an hour or two to get equipped.

People who need to hoard stuff or whatever have other things to collect. Gear shouldn't have to be one of them. But all of this is moot because if we did that everyone would be up in arms because they paid x amount of gold for their equipment and don't want to lose it.

I am done talking about this treasure hunting thing for now. It doesn't affect me at all unfortunately I'll always have to read posts of people complaining that they can't be invincible and kill everything in one hit. I'm happy with the changes only because they came at the players' request. Like I said originally: You made your bed and now you have to lie in it.
All those words wasted. The Hoarders won. :)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
All those words wasted. The Hoarders won. :)
I don't know, I'd say they're still losing. I don't have to worry anout any of that and I have just as much fun as anyone else or more. When I play, I adventure. I don't worry about loot at all so you'll never hear me request anything be changed when it comes to loot. I'm happy with whatever. It's the hoarders and people that have to have all the best gear that are upset over these changes. With my attitude regarding equipment, I can't really lose.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Albion Online does basically this. It gets old pretty quickly.

Can we be a little honest. Some, if not most? people here are either (or, in my case... all three!)
a) masochists
b) hoarders
c) addictive personalities

If you make the game simpler, with less items that have no attachment value... these people will leave.

Its not hard to have a middle of the road.

Drop items with the same properties but make them rare. Unique colors etc. Hell half the money spent on Fortnite is for character 'skins' and 'dances'. Vanity has value.

Question : whats better business? 25k hoarders or 400k people playing a game and not hoarding? We have the former. We used to have the later.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Its not hard to have a middle of the road.

Drop items with the same properties but make them rare. Unique colors etc. Hell half the money spent on Fortnite is for character 'skins' and 'dances'. Vanity has value.

Question : whats better business? 25k hoarders or 400k people playing a game and not hoarding? We have the former. We used to have the later.
You could overhall the entire loot system, economy, and ecosystem, then you would just lose 25k hoarders and not gain any new subs. No one else wants to play UO except for nostalgia's sake.

So better business is to hold on to the existing customer segment you have remaining to you and not piss them off, which broadsword can't even seem to do correctly.