• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] New title system

C

Crimson Crow

I don't like the new title system as currently implemented. It's a good idea, but the suffix apparently forces you to choose between a skill title and a champion title (AFAIK, I don't have the time to actually do champ spawns on TC), whereas before you could have both. Yes, the skill title would frequently be cut off, but it was nice to have the option for those cases where it actually worked. In addition to that, the new overhead titles and subtitles conflict with guild abbreviations/titles and community collection titles, meaning that people who belong to a guild that requires members to display their affiliation at all times (in other words, most major guilds), or simply want to "fly their colors", won't get to use the cool new titles and will lose their current community collection titles. Last and least, I don't know if I'm missing something, but the prefix selection seems useless.

Like I said, it's a pretty neat idea, but very disappointing as things currently stand. The loss of champ title + skill title I can live with, I liked it but I can see how it might tarnish the image of professionalism when titles are cut off midway through. The skill subtitles aren't a big deal, so I don't mind if they conflict with something. But the new overhead titles are really cool, and people in guilds should be able to use them. And having people in guilds effectively lose their (frequently very expensive) community collection titles is just plain bad. I dearly hope you see fit to tweak this system before the publish goes live.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree... I want more of a combination... I mean I understand limiting it... but I feel it's being limited in the wrong ways. The new system shouldn't be less than what we already have but with more customization.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see skill level for overhead title too. Like "Bob the Legendary Mage"

C

Crimson Crow

No one's opinion is given consideration without them voicing it first, so if anyone else has an objection to this new system, please post! If nobody else cares about this issue then, well, sucks to be me, but if you do think it needs to be changed, don't let this chance to add your support slip by! Who knows, one day it might be you who has a special title you can't use.

K

Kayne

I like the customisation of the titles but definitely allow overhead titles to say either "The (skill title) Mage Kayne" or "Kayne The (skill Title) Mage" OR even just "Kayne the Mage"

Being able to have that would be great for the roleplay community.

I like being able to show off my champ titles. Right now I am "Kayne, Executioner of Evil, Elder Mage" the roleplay abilities that brings are limitless. Being able to pick between which champ titles I've earned is awesome. Also I like that I still keep my skill title with that.

An idea too would be to allow the use of the skill title and clip it down. So i can display "The Elder Kayne" or "The Legendary Kayne" again limitless for roleplay

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I read first time about the titles, I though something like Sir, Lord, etc... (as prefix) and a bit more customizable suffix like kayne said and a bigger chooice of synonyms. For example if I have magery at 100 would be nice to see a choice from:
The Mage
The Wizard
The Warlock

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Really? I find that a bit odd, considering your signature there is a title combination that will be impossible under the new system.
I find it odd you think that would relate to why I'm pleased with it. Even if it did, if I was bothered about it, I already have the signature, its not going to disappear suddenly. On top of that its not often people look at your paperdoll. Least of all if you're just running past.

No, the reasons I'm pleased with it are firstly that each skill now gets its own title, its about time. Secondly I can display that title after my characters name, where people can actually see it. I can now run around as Lord GOD the Bard/the Rouser/the Demoralizer/the Stoic (Med I think, I forget)/the Warder/the Mage.

Even my red, a Parry/Mage, who I often like to use for duelling, can have 'the Duellist' after their name. I think its great.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the major problems right now is your Fame/Karma titles do not auto update like they do on reg shards even if you select default.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
(Note: only going by the discussion - not had a time to check the system as implemented on TC yet)

There is a better fix possible for the paperdoll titles, if they'd consider it.

It currently has 3 lines.

If they made the 3 lines actually use a slightly smaller font, and have sufficient letter room to hold each line separate, you could have something like:

The Illustrious Lord (name - space on line for the longest possible legal name, other than the guy who got pwned by Serado)
(monster or other title, all on one line)
(profession title, all on one line)

The problem has always been that certain lines were too long, and displacing parts of further lines.

Make each of the 3 lines distinct (non-overlapping and non-truncating) in the paperdoll, then allowing people to choose their qualifying titles for lines 2 & 3, and which one of lines 2 & 3 will show up as part of their mouseover, and the system would be nearly perfect.

B

Beer_Cayse

I would prefer this as well. Three distinct lines with individual ability of setting 2 & 3. Keeping the Fame/Karma titles on line one would work with this.

Needless to say, the programming for display of these should take into account null/empty lines on #2 & 3 so that the actual display wouldn't get borked.

BBWolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Crimson Crow. This new choosing your own titles looks good and all. However, it will erase my all my hard work for getting the Library, Zoo and Museum titles i worked hard for each of my chars. I checked on the real server to see how it was set up....
Name of Character (guild abbreviation)
Name of guild title, guild name
Reward title (Slime hunter, zoo, library, museum titles)
I dunno about this issue, if this goes live soon as is. Maybe they should add a 5th button on the titles menu to make Reward titles separate then guild titles and guild name.
Slime hunter title you cant get on test server. hehe
It's a nice new feature though. Let's hear what other players have to say...

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Note: only going by the discussion - not had a time to check the system as implemented on TC yet)

If they made the 3 lines actually use a slightly smaller font, and have sufficient letter room to hold each line separate, you could have something like:

The Illustrious Lord (name - space on line for the longest possible legal name, other than the guy who got pwned by Serado)

The problem has always been that certain lines were too long, and displacing parts of further lines.

Make each of the 3 lines distinct (non-overlapping and non-truncating) in the paperdoll, then allowing people to choose their qualifying titles for lines 2 & 3, and which one of lines 2 & 3 will show up as part of their mouseover, and the system would be nearly perfect.
:thumbup1: This idea is great!!!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

:thumbup1: This idea is great!!!
I second this motion :)

B

Beer_Cayse

Let's see how EA implements/tweaks this one. I've seen some good ideas on bettering it in this thread.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the customisation of the titles but definitely allow overhead titles to say either "The (skill title) Mage Kayne" or "Kayne The (skill Title) Mage" OR even just "Kayne the Mage"
I loaded 120 Magery on a guy and was able to get an overhead name of 'Mapper the Mage', Is that what you were meaning?

K

Kayne

I loaded 120 Magery on a guy and was able to get an overhead name of 'Mapper the Mage', Is that what you were meaning?
Yeah this is exactly what I meant, I also didn't realise that on mouseover you can display a second skill title. So overhead I can be Kayne the Mage and on mouse over I can also add Grandmaster Scholar or w/e title I might want

But also the ability to make my overhead name say "Kayne the Legendary Mage" the roleplay possibilities this brings are limitless. Also allowing that would mean people have more choice and UO has always been a game of choices from templates to armor and even house design

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm fooling around on Origin, and I have to agree, it's lame how you can't have both your fame/karma title and your champ title on paperdoll now.

Also, we have to set titles for each character now. That's the worst part. We have no choice but to use this new system, and each char is just "Char Name" until we fool around with new system.

Further more, the name of some of the renowned is now messed up too. Like "green goblin alchemist [Renow." The Renowned part is cut off, too long I guess?

Also #3, paperdoll doesn't update. I was proper and I withered goblins to crap and fell to Villainous, but the title didn't change on paperdoll until I logged in and out of game.

Very cool idea, something we've been asking for in the game, but some problems.

As an aside, I don't care for subtitles on mouseover. Noobs might think we are game officials with titles in our name like that ...