• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Site Brand

Which one do you like best?

• Tribes

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Legions

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Roots

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Swarm

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I first read the Dark Swarm as Dork Swarm. That made me think, could we find a synonyms for online game worlds to put before Swarm, so it mean a MMORPG Swarm.

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. None of those logos were made by a graphic expert, I can see that (sorry, I am a graphic expert). :p

All of those have too much of curly fonts, and they make the logo really hard to identify in the blink of an eye! (this is a must for a really good logo)

Get rid of the curly fonts (those are all really hideous btw), take something sans serif and it will be fine. Spare the curly fonts for undertitles or other smaller headlines. And please, make it happen that the font(s) will be easy readable on webpages too (like all http://www.google.com/fonts for example, nice serif fonts there too, hehe).

As for the names, I didn't click with any of those names, did not like any of them right away. Siege would be acceptable, but then, Siege is UO and UO has got it's own page now...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow. None of those logos were made by a graphic expert, I can see that (sorry, I am a graphic expert).
Oh come on now...you don't like our leet paint skillz?? ;) lol

These are just concepts....Ron gets an idea in his head and we just kinda go with it. It's been fun :)

And

I first read the Dark Swarm as Dork Swarm. That made me think, could we find a synonyms for online game worlds to put before Swarm, so it mean a MMORPG Swarm.
This is what we've been trying to do....I personally like Swarm the best :)

Shady Ghost

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The Cult?
*giggles maniacally*
Two more logo concepts added for additional reference.
Concept: Gamer's Cult [Cult for Gamers]

"Nations fight, people lack guidance from grounded national leaders.. Gamers unite! Where else will you adventure with friends from the United States, Germany and Australia all in one spot? Join us brother, fight for a better brighter future.. online."

Hehe all silliness aside, I do like my spin on Kirthag's suggestion. :D

And maybe for artwork suggestion, how about a pencil art work of some black hooded robed cult members standing in a semi circle around a trible art GC in the middle of them. Just something to toss around the noggin.

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
http://gamerscult.com/

Already taken :)

See what I mean about finding a name that screams SOCIAL GAMING SITE that hasn't been used already?

Good idea though...obviously ;)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
*puts drawing board away... then votes*

OK... I've been taking another look at the original concepts/proposals. Although "Legion(s)" presents a better graphic, I'm not certain the word itself is the best choice and might even be a bit dated or trite (and again, too Roman). "Roots" brings to mind (for me) a book and movie of the same name, which might or might not present a problem. "Tribes" I like, but it leaves me with a feeling of an iffy and less than happy gathering. I've been looking more closely at "Svarma", and that choice is becoming more appealing. The meaning is fine. I just think a different graphic rendering would do it more justice.

I'm done. Thanks for your time. :)
Nah, Svarma is hard to say (gives me the shudders, actually) and evokes no visual imagery
I guess Bazaaro was out before it was even suggested (what kind of graphic goes with that)?

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Nah, Svarma is hard to say (gives me the shudders, actually) and evokes no visual imagery
I guess Bazaaro was out before it was even suggested (what kind of graphic goes with that)?
Correct. Bazaaro is still the name of the company, but the website is being developed as a separate brand.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Alright guys, thanks so much for all the valuable advice and feedback. We decided to play on the concepts of swarm and legions (not in the Roman sense), get creative, find a gaming tie, work on making a name that is more dramatic/vivid and unique. This is our selection.

Concept: Ravennant.com
Ravens are an excellent symbol for our gaming social network because Ravens fly in swarms and have a dark and mysterious connotation. The word Ravennant was derived from Raven + Revenant (undead). Revenant is also a readily identifiable term in RPG circles. So, Ravennant represents a social community with gaming roots. This concept allows for use of a darker website theme with plenty of personality that users are likely to find memorable.

Here are three concept logos (not final). We hope you enjoy and "Game 'til you die!"

Attachments

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Alright guys, thanks so much for all the valuable advice and feedback. We decided to play on the concepts of swarm and legions (not in the Roman sense), get creative, find a gaming tie, work on making a name that is more dramatic/vivid and unique. This is our selection.

Ravens are an excellent symbol for our gaming social network because Ravens fly in swarms and have a dark and mysterious connotation. The word Ravennant was derived from Raven + Revenant (undead). Revenant is also a readily identifiable term in RPG circles. So, Ravennant represents a social community with gaming roots. This concept allows for use of a darker website theme with plenty of personality that users are likely to find memorable.

Here are three concept logos (not final). We hope you enjoy and "Game 'til you die!"
The name sounds good. And I especially like the Raven/Moon combination! :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

you could call the "groups" murders (a murder is a group of crows) :) food for thought!

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhh, I see, now. Well you could have said, "Facebook+Guildportal for goths," I'd have made more focused suggestions. It definitely doesn't look like you're going for mass/broad appeal; if you're going for a more niche atmosphere, that's totally cool---but own it and embrace it (and, y'know, mention it whilst setting up discussions). I also think it's really wise that you decided to leave Stratics out of this transition. You have a pretty diverse crowd there, many of which don't fit a Halloween is everyday demographic and who would be totally lost. Especially if you spend a lot of time in the middle of the things you like, it can be easy to forget that the rest of the world doesn't also live in that space.

The difference with goths, vampire lovers, etc, is that they love the obscure (or at least the intimation of the obscure), whereas many other people tend to just blink at it. Weird sounding names and word amalgamations are fine in this case. They're inviting toward your focused demographic, and kind of pretentious-sounding to everybody else (which, again, is part of the allure for your demographic). The bird-Moon overlay is a neat logo. And I kind of wonder how cool a clean, simple, professional, hand-drawn rendition would look (thick black lines on white or vice versa... maybe some red highlighting if you can work it in subtly), with your big, sharp-angled black letters stretching off to its right.

If any of that sounds kind of back-handed, that's not my intention. Whereas you might be emotionally invested in the sort of atmosphere you're going for, I'm more concerned with you spinning and selling that atmosphere to patrons in a way that's cool to them and profitable for you (otherwise I wouldn't be posting---and I'd feel the same way if you were selling sports gear, TBH). And I hope you've got programmers on board. There are great social hubs out there these days. You could have the stupidest name and theme possible, and legions of fans would still flock to your site if you gave them high quality, user-friendly tools for social organization. Conversely, finding the best name possible is among the least of your problems. The Internet is messed up like that.

P.S. I recommend checking out Revival if you haven't already.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Ahhh, I see, now. Well you could have said, "Facebook+Guildportal for goths,"...
Not everyone sees "goth" in the name and/or images referenced. Personally, I don't find "goth" appealing. However, the raven is an amazing and extremely intelligent creature that likes to keep company with others of its kind, and the moon is an impressive part of our little corner of the cosmos. I don't find anything offensive there. If others do, I guess we just view some things differently.

Last edited:

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Ahhh, I see, now. Well you could have said, "Facebook+Guildportal for goths," I'd have made more focused suggestions. It definitely doesn't look like you're going for mass/broad appeal; if you're going for a more niche atmosphere, that's totally cool---but own it and embrace it (and, y'know, mention it whilst setting up discussions). I also think it's really wise that you decided to leave Stratics out of this transition. You have a pretty diverse crowd there, many of which don't fit a Halloween is everyday demographic and who would be totally lost. Especially if you spend a lot of time in the middle of the things you like, it can be easy to forget that the rest of the world doesn't also live in that space.

The difference with goths, vampire lovers, etc, is that they love the obscure (or at least the intimation of the obscure), whereas many other people tend to just blink at it. Weird sounding names and word amalgamations are fine in this case. They're inviting toward your focused demographic, and kind of pretentious-sounding to everybody else (which, again, is part of the allure for your demographic). The bird-Moon overlay is a neat logo. And I kind of wonder how cool a clean, simple, professional, hand-drawn rendition would look (thick black lines on white or vice versa... maybe some red highlighting if you can work it in subtly), with your big, sharp-angled black letters stretching off to its right.

If any of that sounds kind of back-handed, that's not my intention. Whereas you might be emotionally invested in the sort of atmosphere you're going for, I'm more concerned with you spinning and selling that atmosphere to patrons in a way that's cool to them and profitable for you (otherwise I wouldn't be posting---and I'd feel the same way if you were selling sports gear, TBH). And I hope you've got programmers on board. There are great social hubs out there these days. You could have the stupidest name and theme possible, and legions of fans would still flock to your site if you gave them high quality, user-friendly tools for social organization. Conversely, finding the best name possible is among the least of your problems. The Internet is messed up like that.

P.S. I recommend checking out Revival if you haven't already.
Not everyone sees "goth" in the name and/or images referenced. Personally, I don't find "goth" appealing. However, the raven is an amazing and extremely intelligent creature that likes to keep company with others of its kind, and the moon is an impressive part of our little corner of the cosmos. I don't find anything offensive there. If others do, I guess we just view some things differently.
We aren't really trying to appeal to the Gothic crowd specifically, but to all MMO players. Most MMOs have some elements that we hope this name can connect with. For example, Diablo III and World of Warcraft both have Revenants and dark dungeons. Eve online has a ship called the Raven. All gamers tend to behave like a swarm. We will need to put effort into ensuring the website isn't too morbid, but I think we can accomplish that and still have a compelling and distinct personality.

Also, thank you for the feedback. You guys have been providing awesome input.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
None of the names really grab me. If I was doing a google search and they came up, I wouldn't think gaming for any of them... or at least not professional gaming website... more like a personal project and might expect to see geocities at the front.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The primary difficulty in deciding on a brand isn't finding a suitable name. The hardest part is finding a .com address that isn't already using it. o_O

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of .com consider another tld there are some fun ones available now...even .ninja

Google has come out and stated that .com does not give any type of ranking bonus so there are probably some urls you culd be creative with to come up with the right brind for the new site. Sure .com is easy to remember but if you have the best content and learn how to make it SEO friendly, you can out rank any .com competitor in time.

I like the sites that use .me

...la

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only 33 responses in over a week? Thats not very encouraging.

Again I'd ask just how many 'active' people we actually have here. I fear a lot fewer than ,ost people think hence Stratics' EA like attitude about giving us any numbers.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ron has given you numbers....and it's not mandatory that everyone take the poll. A lot of people have read it but haven't taken the poll. I wasn't going to but Ron made me :/ lol

I'm sure a lot of people don't have an opinion either way but we got a lot of feedback in the thread so it worked out well.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
you could call the "groups" murders (a murder is a group of crows) :) food for thought!
But a group of Raven are called an "unkindness".

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Instead of .com consider another tld there are some fun ones available now...even .ninja

Google has come out and stated that .com does not give any type of ranking bonus so there are probably some urls you culd be creative with to come up with the right brind for the new site. Sure .com is easy to remember but if you have the best content and learn how to make it SEO friendly, you can out rank any .com competitor in time.

I like the sites that use .me

...la
I'm waiting on them to open registration of .suck to the public. Just think of the possibilities. "Politicians.suck", "Duke.suck" "EA.suck" etc.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ron has given you numbers....and it's not mandatory that everyone take the poll. A lot of people have read it but haven't taken the poll. I wasn't going to but Ron made me :/ lol

I'm sure a lot of people don't have an opinion either way but we got a lot of feedback in the thread so it worked out well.
Only registered accounts has been given, which is largely irrelevant. How many individual posters we have a month is a figure I'd like to see. I think this 'community' is much much smaller than anyone realises. Im aware that Ron has no obligation to give out those numbers. It just smacks of secrecy the same way as EA withhold numbers. What is there to hide?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
As Stratics is a brand owned by Ron Bron's company, the numbers are actually kinda confidential. After all, we don't want to intimidate our competition! :p

It is common business practice to keep certain figures relatively quite - most all webistes that are privately owned will keep their numbers private and share only with business partners or service providers as necessary. Just suffice the numbers are not dismal - and there is enough confidence in projections to dedicate resources to the site... or we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we? Believe me, if Stratics was in dire straits, the community at large would be made aware.

So please, can we move on with other things and quit :bdh:

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Only registered accounts has been given, which is largely irrelevant. How many individual posters we have a month is a figure I'd like to see. I think this 'community' is much much smaller than anyone realises. Im aware that Ron has no obligation to give out those numbers. It just smacks of secrecy the same way as EA withhold numbers. What is there to hide?
There are 3-4k unique users per day on the forums and about the same on the UO2 Site. That's on par with historical average after 2011. The website was much larger between 2008-2011. Post count in November 2014 was the highest it has been since 2011.

This isn't a huge website, but there is a strong and active community here and we are trying to make it stronger. Stratics has always been about UO, so the recent announcement is a realization of priority more than anything else. Focus will help drive growth and improvement. I hope you enjoy the dedicated service that will be provided.
In reply to your previous request for data in a separate thread (link below) I already provided daily total usage in addition to total registered users. I think we have met your request for disclosure. To reiterate, Stratics is just as healthy as it has ever been since 2011.

https://stratics.com/community/threads/an-exciting-turn-of-events.335729/page-2

At this point we have received some awesome feedback and have made our brand name selection (Ravennant), so I'm going to close the thread. Thanks for the help! We will keep you up to date with launch date.

Status
Not open for further replies.