• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Siege FAQ (updated January 2013)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Q. I can't find the shard on the shard list?
A. Characters with (young) status cannot see the shard. Log in to any of the other shards (except Mugen) create a character and renounce young status with the command “I renounce my young player status”. Warning: This cannot be reversed and your character will lose all the safeguards associated with the status on all shards.

Q. How do I get a start on the shard?
Players in General Chat will also mostly be helpful to newcomers on the shard and answer their questions.

Q. How do I keep my kit?
A. Mostly you don't, make sure you have a spare in the bank. There is no insurance on Siege, however you may 'Siege Bless' one item. To do this you will find an option on your character's context menu. There is no 'bless deed' required and you can change the item that you bless at will. Example: If you have a weapon Siege Blessed and you wish to bless a different weapon, using the context menu option will transfer the 'blessing' to the new weapon, unblessing the original one.

Q. Buying and Selling to NPCs
A. NPCs sell their goods at 3x the price on other shards, plus they do not sell resources such as boards and ingots. They buy nothing, nor will they train any skills.

Q. All tools wear out?
A. All. Items that last forever on other shards wear out here, scissors, hatchets, fishing rods etc. All tools have 'uses'. That includes any sharp object that has been used as a tool to carve a corpse for meat and hides, so don't use your best sword for gathering leather!

Q. How do I get around?
A. Recall and Sacred Journey do not work on Siege. Gate Travel does. However 2 x +15 magery jewels, a tome of lost knowledge and the library talisman 'A treatise on Alchemy' together with gate scrolls will get you there, after a few fizzles.
In addition there are a number of house teleporters, public crystal portals and corrupted crystal portals on the shard.
Locations:
  • Hub Pub - Just off the East bridge of Umbra. A teleport hub with public Crystal & Corrupted Crystal portals. House Teleporters labelled with named statues link to:
    • An Ice Island Castle
    • A New Magincia Shop
    • A Zento Shop
    • A Luna Shop
    • A Ter Mur Museum
    • Gilfane Player Town
    • NEW Guildhouse
    • The Stygian Abyss (Underworld side)
  • The Abyss House - Underworld side. Links to
    • Hub Pub
    • The Skara Brae Island House with public Crystal and Corrupted Crystal Portals
    • A New Magincia shop
    • A Makoto House with public Crystal Portal.
Q. How is Gaining Skills different?
A. On Siege Perilous and Mugen, the RoT (Rate over time) system applies for gaining skill points above 70.
Skill points for skills less than 70 points will gain as normal shards.
Skill points for skills between 70 and 79.9 points have a time limit of 5 minutes between points gained. (250 minutes min to gain 5.0 skill)
Skill points for skills between 80 and 89.9 have a time limit of 8 minutes between points gained. (320 minutes min to gain 4.0 skill)
Skill points for skills between 90 and 99.9 have a time limit of 12 minutes between points gained. (360 minutes min to gain 3.0 skill points)
Skill points for skills between 100 and 120 have a time limit of 15 minutes between points gained. (750 minutes min to gain 5.0 skill points)
Players will be allowed to gain 15 stat points a day.

Q. Are there any other spells that don't work?
A. Yes, Telekenisis won't work to untrap a treasure chest. Detect hidden and remove trap skills work, but in practice most treasure hunters open the chest and take the hit. Make sure you have high hp and a suit with 70 fire resist and you will survive the blast.

Q. Are any skills different on Siege?
A. Yes.
  • Armslore gives a bigger bonus -1% per 12.5 points of Arms Lore giving 8% instead of 5% to damage increase on weapons or resist total on armor at GM.
  • Tinkering trapped chests - failure causes damage! Making para breaking chests with low level tinkering can be fatal.
  • Detect Hidden - there is no 'passive' detect.
Q. Where do people gather?
A. They don't. You won't find Siege players bank sitting, the only time you'll find a large group of players is at an organised event, either player or EM. They do gather socially in General Chat.

Q. Where am I safe?
A. Nowhere! The whole shard has Felucca rule set. While it's unlikely you will be killed in a town because of guardwhack risk, it does happen and of course thieves love to find someone idling at a bank.

Q. What's the biggest killer on the shard?
A. Well, it's not the local PK. Watch out in the woodlands for Dark Wisps. Don't mistake them for shadow wisps. They're mean, nasty, are frequently found in 2s and 3s and will camp your body if you die.

Q. What is hero/evil dyed?
A. Hand in hand with Factions, Siege has the Hero/Evil system. Items dyed hero or evil can not be worn by anyone not in the correct faction. Do not buy these items from vendors unless you qualify to wear them.

Q. Where can I read more details about the shard?
A. An essay about Siege can be found here: Siege Perilous - Old Stratics

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege Forum

Unlike most UO Stratics Shard Forums, Siege does not have a seperate trade sub forum. You will therefore find the usual trade prefix set are available here.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Or maybe it needs to be edited/re written...

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did a quick edit, someone else take a look and see if I missed anything.

*Originally Written By Petra Fyde*

Q. I can't find the shard on the shard list?
A. Characters with (young) status cannot see the shard. Log in to any of the other shards (except Mugen) create a character and renounce young status with the command “I renounce my young player status”. Warning: This cannot be reversed and your character will lose all the safeguards associated with the status on all shards.

Q. How do I get a start on the shard?
A.Talk to the other players in General Chat, Most will be helpful to newcomers on the shard and answer their questions.

Q. How do I keep my kit?
A. Mostly you don't, make sure you have a spare in the bank. There is no insurance on Siege, however you may 'Siege Bless' one item. To do this you will find an option on your character's context menu. There is no 'bless deed' required and you can change the item that you bless at will. Example: If you have a weapon Siege Blessed and you wish to bless a different weapon, using the context menu option will transfer the 'blessing' to the new weapon, unblessing the original one.

Q. Buying and Selling to NPCs
A. NPCs sell their goods at 3x the price on other shards, plus they do not sell resources such as boards and ingots. They buy nothing, nor will they train any skills.

Q. All tools wear out?
A. All. Items that last forever on other shards wear out here, scissors, hatchets, fishing rods etc. All tools have 'uses'. That includes any sharp object that has been used as a tool to carve a corpse for meat and hides, so don't use your best sword for gathering leather!

Q. How do I get around?
A. Recall and Sacred Journey do not work on Siege. Gate Travel does. However 2 x +15 magery jewels, a tome of lost knowledge and the library talisman 'A treatise on Alchemy' together with gate scrolls will get you there, after a few fizzles.
In addition there are a number of house teleporters, public crystal portals and corrupted crystal portals on the shard.
Locations:
  • Hub Pub - Just off the East bridge of Umbra. A teleport hub with public Crystal & Corrupted Crystal portals. House Teleporters labelled with named statues link to:
    • An Ice Island Castle
    • A New Magincia Shop
    • A Zento Shop
    • A Luna Shop
    • A Ter Mur Museum
    • Gilfane Player Town
    • NEW Guildhouse
    • The Stygian Abyss (Underworld side)
  • The Abyss House - Underworld side. Links to
    • Hub Pub
    • The Skara Brae Island House with public Crystal and Corrupted Crystal Portals
    • A New Magincia shop
    • A Makoto House with public Crystal Portal.
Q. How is Gaining Skills different?
A. On Siege Perilous and Mugen, the RoT (Rate over time) system applies for gaining skill points above 70.
Skill points for skills less than 70 points will gain as normal shards.
Skill points for skills between 70 and 79.9 points have a time limit of 5 minutes between points gained. (250 minutes min to gain 5.0 skill)
Skill points for skills between 80 and 89.9 have a time limit of 8 minutes between points gained. (320 minutes min to gain 4.0 skill)
Skill points for skills between 90 and 99.9 have a time limit of 12 minutes between points gained. (360 minutes min to gain 3.0 skill points)
Skill points for skills between 100 and 120 have a time limit of 15 minutes between points gained. (750 minutes min to gain 5.0 skill points)
Players will be allowed to gain 15 stat points a day.

Q. Are there any other spells that don't work?
A. Yes, Telekenisis won't work to untrap a treasure chest. Detect hidden and remove trap skills work, but in practice most treasure hunters open the chest and take the hit. Make sure you have high hp and a suit with 70 fire resist and you will survive the blast.

Q. Are any skills different on Siege?
A. Yes.
  • Armslore gives a bigger bonus -1% per 12.5 points of Arms Lore giving 8% instead of 5% to damage increase on weapons or resist total on armor at GM.
  • Tinkering trapped chests - failure causes damage! Making para breaking chests with low level tinkering can be fatal.
  • Detect Hidden - there is no 'passive' detect.
Q. Where do people gather?
A. They don't. You won't find Siege players bank sitting, the only time you'll find a large group of players is at an organized event, either player or EM. They do gather socially in General Chat.

Q. Where am I safe?
A. Nowhere! The whole shard has Felucca rule set. While it's unlikely you will be killed in a town because of guardwhack risk, it does happen and of course thieves love to find someone idling at a bank.

Q. What's the biggest killer on the shard?
A. Well, it's not the local PK. Watch out in the woodlands for Dark Wisps. Don't mistake them for shadow wisps. They're mean, nasty, are frequently found in 2s and 3s and will camp your body if you die.

Q. Where can I read more details about the shard?
A. An essay about Siege can be found here: http://uo2.stratics.com/miscellaneous/siege-perilous

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Good to see this thread back as sticky.
I'm almost sure, Young accounts can see Siege now.

I have a few more advices for players new to Siege.

Q: How do I survive on a newbie char?
A: It's not as hard as it may sound.
We can't promise you, that you won't get killed.
Some PK's like to welcome you with a kill, then res or tell you to res and not loot.
If you get killed, try to tell the killer, you are new here, evt. use Gen Chat.

Show your ghost, don't fear accepting a res, but don't go near your body before the killer allow you. An angry red is no fun. Stay polite, a smile may save most of your items, bad talk may make you lose it all.

If you do lose everything, try ask for help in Gen chat but only ask for stuff you really need for your training, like plain LRC suit, Ninja/Bushido jevelry or advices.

Q: How do I make money, when vendors won't buy?
A: The Stall vendors in New Magincia will buy alot you can gathering, look for the one who pay best.
If they won't buy your leather or bolt of clothes, ask in Gen Chat id anyone buy.

Q: How do I make bolt of clothes?
A: Find some sheeps or a cotton field, Use a dagger on the sheep before you kill them. Don't use your best sword as it will break.
now use the wool on a spinn and then a Loom and you can sell the bolt of clothes.

Q: What did happen to the NEW/NEW2 guilds?
A: I can only ask for NEW2, I took it down as we only had few members at the time and I feel the shard can help in other ways. Gen Chat is your friend. Some guilds may accept you, even on a newbie char if you fit their rules, else there will always be some ready to help in different ways.

Q: How do I learn about the guilds?
A: When you meet someone, look up his char on MyUO, link http://search.uo.com/#/search
That will allow you to see what guild the char is in and who others are in it.
Also now you know guildname, look at http://stratics.com/guilds/ if lucky, you will find the guild there and can learn more about it.

Last edited: