• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New releases on Tirnua

P

Polly

Have you visited the Tirnua blog lately? Lots of new releases this week.

Have you bought any Tau? How about clothes? I'm loving the short black hairstyle, very me :heart: Had a hard time deciding on the clothes, but who cares about clothes when you have fabulous hair? Did I mention that I LOVE my hair ?

So what have you been doing on Tirnua this week?

Polly

D

Donavan

I just read where we had to buy our names.
Isn't this a little much? Or am I misreading?

Then there's this - Not only do we have to buy game money, but we have to pay for the privilege of buying game money.

Buying game money I can understand (I guess), but the second part just doesn't seem right.

C

culbert123

I don't think you're misreading, and I agree with you!

I understand needing capital and all that, but to be asked to pay for a name, not to mention any additional thing I'd be putting on my Tirnuan seems a bit much.

I lost interest in Tirnua once I discovered that I would have to use real cash to do anything. To me it just seems like they are taking advantage of the loyalty of former TSO players to help fund their new venture. Maybe if it was 100% playable and I loved it I'd feel differently, but right now I'm not impressed....

G

Gilly

You are not misreading, Donovan, we have to buy our name....or someone else (theoretically) can. What's more, we are not really *buying* it, so much as renting it.

It can be purchased in 6 month or 12 month blocks. $5 dollars (USD) worth of Tau is just short of enough for 6 months, and $10 is just short of enough for 12 months.

So once you buy enough Tau for a name, you end up with a few extra Tau to spend on skin color, hair, outfit and room accessories...which I have not figured out how to place in the room, or if we even can, yet.

On the positive side....short tho the list may be....They have given founders a neat little globe of Tirnua for our rooms, a bouquet of flowers (earlier) and 1000 Tau, to buy ourselves something pretty. rolleyes:

And while I agree with culbert, after 5 yrs of paying for TSO, and rarely playing, I am so used to pointlessly throwing money away, that I went ahead and bought my name and dressed my Tirnuan. :mf_prop:

Who knows....there may be a super wonderful game at the end of this road, so I am least going to give them a shot at making one.

C

culbert123

After I posted that, I got home from work and found an email that I had been gifted $1,000 tau and a founder gift.

I just became slightly more inclined to continue to give Tirnua a shot, and I think that was a smart move on the devs part!

G

Georgia Mae

I was of the understanding that you could choose whether or not to pay for a name ... but if you opted not to that your name would simply have numbers at the end of it.

I don't know, I guess I don't mind paying for the game because:

1. My understanding is that there are no monthly fees, and it is possible to play without sinking cash into the game if you choose (you just don't get some of the "nice to haves" like a name without numbers)

2. Tirnua is a startup and I'm assuming that they're trying to secure funding. To be realistic - any potential investor will want to see an eventual return on their investment. Leaving the obvious issues around EA's lack of support of TSO to the side, my understanding of TSO's troubles was that the game was not making a profit. (Even though we all know that the lack of players and therefore revenue was quite likely due to lack of updates/fixes/promotion and the need to spend money to make money) Whether you like or dislike Secondlife, you can't argue that it is a successful business model, and the great thing is that players as well as the developers/owners of SL are making money. If Tirnua builds that same capability, there is the possibility of rewards for players as well. I understand the game has to make money somehow.

3. I don't know about you, but I *miss* my sims. Really, really miss them. I haven't found another game yet that comes close to giving me the same enjoyment as throwing out a few serenades or crafting. I was so excited when I saw that Luc was building a team to make Tirnua happen. Call me optimistic, but I can really see them creating a game that has the things we loved about TSO, with lots of new options & functionality that we didn't have, without mandatory killing and bloodshed, with the ability for us to really have input as to how we want to see the game evolve. And for that, I don't mind putting my hand in my pocket to show support for what they're trying to achieve. Especially as I have no idea whether they're managing to pull a salary or not (!!)

That being said, I say all this with the comfort of having those few dollars to play with, and I can understand with the all that's going on with the economy that people want some bang for their buck.

I'm also guessing that the extra money payable when you purchase TAU is to do with the fees that Tirnua have to pay to Paypal for each transaction ... eg you pay a flat amount per transaction plus a percentage of the value of the purchase. So if you make one large purchase they pay lower fees to Paypal and they're passing that on ...

:)