• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Player

Vortaku

Visitor
I am new to Ultima Online, just looking for some tips tricks and info about what to do. It all looks so fun!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing to do is to turn chat on, and join either the help or general chat channel (some shards monitor help, others do not). Ask locals for assistance, and tell them that you are new at the game.

Many shards have guilds that specialize in helping new and returning players. They can help you get established, give training pointers, and even equip you if you like (some players like earning everything themselves, others don't mind being given stuff). Some shards also have homes that exist solely as guides and supply stations for new characters, and finding those may require someone to guide you there.

Vortaku

Visitor
One thing to do is to turn chat on, and join either the help or general chat channel (some shards monitor help, others do not). Ask locals for assistance, and tell them that you are new at the game.

Many shards have guilds that specialize in helping new and returning players. They can help you get established, give training pointers, and even equip you if you like (some players like earning everything themselves, others don't mind being given stuff). Some shards also have homes that exist solely as guides and supply stations for new characters, and finding those may require someone to guide you there.
I joined help but cant figure out how to chat in it, im so bad! LOL

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The chat/speak commands are as follows in the Classic Client, and in the Enhanced Client when set to function like the CC. In the default EC, You might have to hit enter to get into talking mode first.

Typing normally: Talking in game (only people on screen hear you)
, (space) followed by Text: Talking in your chat channel.
/ (space) followed by Text: Talking to other members of a group in a party.
\ (space) followed by Text: Talking to other members of your Guild, if in a guild.
| (space) followed by Text: Talking to all alliance members, if your Guild is in an alliance
: (space) followed by Text: Emoting (puts text in between asterisks, to signify that one is doing an action that there is no animation or macro for). Effectively a Role-playing tool such as emoting *glares menacingly*

There is another key in that area that does Whispers (only visible to people standing immediately next to you - but pets hear anywhere on screen). Some people have macros set to whisper pet commands while simultaneously saying/emoting a more RP-worthy command. Such as Whispering "All Kill" while Emoting or Saying "Die, my Enemies!!!!"

Another, rarely used, key in that area is used for talking to game masters in private chat, after one shows up from being paged. It typically only comes into play when a GM needs to speak without being overheard, such as if you are witnessing a game exploit being done, reported it, but the GM showing up could open you up to reprisals if the cheaters' friends realize you called the GM.

Vortaku

Visitor
The chat/speak commands are as follows in the Classic Client, and in the Enhanced Client when set to function like the CC. In the default EC, You might have to hit enter to get into talking mode first.

\ (space) followed by Text: Talking to other members of your Guild, if in a guild.
| (space) followed by Text: Talking to all alliance members, if your Guild is in an alliance
: (space) followed by Text: Emoting (puts text in between asterisks, to signify that one is doing an action that there is no animation or macro for). Effectively a Role-playing tool such as emoting *glares menacingly*

There is another key in that area that does Whispers (only visible to people standing immediately next to you - but pets hear anywhere on screen). Some people have macros set to whisper pet commands while simultaneously saying/emoting a more RP-worthy command. Such as Whispering "All Kill" while Emoting or Saying "Die, my Enemies!!!!"

Another, rarely used, key in that area is used for talking to game masters in private chat, after one shows up from being paged. It typically only comes into play when a GM needs to speak without being overheard, such as if you are witnessing a game exploit being done, reported it, but the GM showing up could open you up to reprisals if the cheaters' friends realize you called the GM.
Awesome information.

I have another question perhaps you could answer, I have tried to find what 3rd party applications are allowed on Atlantic, but found nothing. The ea page that had a list of approved ones is gone. Could you fill in this bit of info for me?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The allowed 3rd party programs are

UOAssist for the classic client
Most User Interfaces for the Enhanced Client (such as Pinco's UI)

UO Automap, UO Cartographer and UO Mapper (require something in the User Interface to work with EC, or at least the trial version of UOAssist for the Classic Client)

Stuff like UOWedding, UORudder, UOCurse, etc. that are effectively the CC ancestors of some elements of the EC. They set up macros for speaking, ship movement commands, etc. Not even sure how well they work anymore.

Note: Anything other than the EC or CC that call themselves an alternative "client" are illegal. This especially includes the ones that have the name of a facial hygiene tool or of one of the phases of water. Anything that allows you to run multiple accounts simultaneously with single actions (you make command, all characters do that action) are also illegal.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you compare to some mobile games, they are like paying for 60 to 120 bucks for things and items in the game to win... but they have so much limited gameplay as compared to Ultima Online. For one like those dragon breeding mobile games, some paid like $2000 just to own dumb dragons that do only limited fights.

But in Ultima Online if you are willing to plonk in 120 bucks for the right stuff to build 1-2 veteran characters in like 1-2 days, you can do so much more in the game... hunting hundreds and thousands of different monsters for different rewards that can earn back your investment in the near term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vortaku

Visitor
If you compare to some mobile games, they are like paying for 60 to 120 bucks for things and items in the game to win... but they have so much limited gameplay as compared to Ultima Online. For one like those dragon breeding mobile games, some paid like $2000 just to own dumb dragons that do only limited fights.

But in Ultima Online if you are willing to plonk in 120 bucks for the right stuff to build 1-2 veteran characters in like 1-2 days, you can do so much more in the game... hunting hundreds and thousands of different monsters for different rewards that can earn back your investment in the near term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Care to elaborate on that 120?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let's see, from what I went through creating an account to receive a friend's castle when they left....

1. The new account: trial accounts are currently Mondain's Legacy. All accounts are supposed to upgrade to Stygian Abyss "soon" - hopefully before the end of the year instead of waiting for "Endless Journey" (for all I know it could have happened today, but I've not looked yet). If you don't want to wait, that's either $20 to update a current trial account, or $30 for starting fresh with a new SA account code.
  2. Upgrading to Time of Legends. Another $20-30. Most players that had active accounts when ToL was introduced got it for free for those accounts.
  3. For the 1-2 day part: Buying 2 Mythic character tokens for $40 to get a bunch of skills near the non-powerscroll maximum.
  4. That leaves another $20-40 to acquire other stuff (I had to buy all the storage expansions) or to pay for up to 6 months game time.

Vortaku

Visitor
Let's see, from what I went through creating an account to receive a friend's castle when they left....

1. The new account: trial accounts are currently Mondain's Legacy. All accounts are supposed to upgrade to Stygian Abyss "soon" - hopefully before the end of the year instead of waiting for "Endless Journey" (for all I know it could have happened today, but I've not looked yet). If you don't want to wait, that's either $20 to update a current trial account, or $30 for starting fresh with a new SA account code.
  2. Upgrading to Time of Legends. Another $20-30. Most players that had active accounts when ToL was introduced got it for free for those accounts.
  3. For the 1-2 day part: Buying 2 Mythic character tokens for $40 to get a bunch of skills near the non-powerscroll maximum.
  4. That leaves another $20-40 to acquire other stuff (I had to buy all the storage expansions) or to pay for up to 6 months game time.
You have been an amazing information resource, mind if I ask more.

Is it legal to buy accounts? I mean by the time i spend 120 on those things, could I not get an account with it all, and maybe some vet rewards?

What about the high seas booster? is that included now? what all does that entail?

I am sorry there is just so much, and with stuff going from ea to broadsword it seems I have had some trouble finding things. The uo store uses coints bought on origin? correct?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Technically, right now, buying accounts is considered a no-no. Part of it is that game accounts are currently linked to master accounts, and it takes access to the master account to pay for the account (including applying game time codes).

There's plans for an easier way to disconnect a game account from a master account, but that won't be for months. And, it's too easy for someone to get scammed if someone "sells" you a master account, as they have all the means to reclaim the master account (claiming it was hacked) and you would have none.

Once that's done (not going to happen in 2017), maybe. But we're talking 3 months to years from now.

High Seas has additional storage, additional functionality for fishing, additional ships, and the ability to fight pirates or BE a pirate (currently only against NPC ships). It's a nice supplement if you like fishing, but currently needs more help (which is one of the things on the agenda for next year). In other words, you don't need to buy it until you want to use it, so you could wait a few months if you like.

And yes, the UO Store Sovereigns are bought from Origin. EA wants to be kept in the money loop, after all....

Jesse Donovan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back, I too have returned to a great game, and become a Newb again. I did get one of my accounts from 2005 restarted, so that's a plus, and Basara said. 2 of the Mythic Characters helped a lot. I know the money isn't there for everyone, but I have also found many, many veterans/returning players willing to help get others restarted. By either recruiting, or just simply answering questions.

I have even had people come up to me and trade up to 400k to me just for come back, or asking for guidance, whatever the reason. UO has always had that feeling of people helping people. Even some of the PVPers have helped. They can joke by killing you, but most that I have met actually have been really kool.

Anyways; with all the resources available now. it is easy to get up and going again.. From the NEW Vendor search option, and scrolls of trans, it's a little better game, without the hours-days-weeks-months of grinding to get to GM. My weakness is the Pet Bonding Potions. Man have I lost so many pets from not waiting the 7 day grace period to let them bond. 4.99 is not that much either.. well when you have spent it over and over and over again. maybe it is.. LOL :)

welcome back anyways. and can't wait to see everybody in-game soon.

Cherry Gumdrop (Tamer), Diamond(Sapphire), Bubblegum (Mule)
Icq # 691753446

bmwtech

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

Thank you for the info. I was wondering what the short cuts were in EC.