• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New player a bit frustrated (My Story)

I stumbled upon this forum and realized that the UO community on the OFFICIAL game is a lot more vibrant than i thought. I used to think UOForums was the official un official forum of the game which will get a new post every 2 or 3 weeks.

aside, i decided to sub and join. Upon entering the game I got some good guidance through the new player experience and up until i tried to recall on the rune i was given.

it greyed out and i realized that quest was probably dead in the water.

I hear so often that there's SOOOOO many things to do in UO but unfortunately the game doesn't do a very good job at letting you know your options. Eve online used to be this way until they revamped their new player experience to show you all the various things you can do before they let you loose into the sandbox.

UO you're sorta let loose after being unable to finish a broken new player quest. Fine. So i set out to find guides.

literally there are no guides written as of 2016 for the current version of UO. Either that or I'm just really bad at googling. but the closest guide i could find was written back in 2011-2012.

and even then it was just essentially how to install the game and navigate. OK I said let me go to the official UO site and read the new player guide there.

LITERALLY that just tells you how to install the game and that there's 2 clients. LMAO. So essentially as a new player hearing of all the things to do. You have ZERO idea of where to even start or what to shoot for, or where to go or anything.

I suppose i could just pick a direction and run. But i'm spinning my wheels because killing monsters gets old after awhile. especially with no goal or purpose to the madness.

After playing for 4 hours, i cancelled my subscription so not even a single day elapsed. Now Here i beseech this community that got me to subscribe to this game. ARE there any guides that can help me get into this game?

I tried asking in help chat. and I was told this isn't WOW leave you peasant. Greaaaat another WOW joke i thought to myself. And then another few people perked up saying if you don't like the our answers in help then you'll never understand. I argued calling me a peasant and to leave because this isn't WOW wasn't help.

Aside... that was my experience so far.

TLDR: Are there any guides to help new players written as of 2016?

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ARE there any guides that can help me get into this game?
www.uoguide.com and www.uo.com (Getting Started – Ultima Online) are the best options for info regarding UO, just do a search and you'll find your answer. Honestly i've tried other games and always seem to came back here... no other game offers the same depth or customized housing. Trust me when I say that all other games just feel hollow compared to UO, which is why it's survived almost 20 years now

Hope you decide to come back and i'll help you more if you do :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I stumbled upon this forum and realized that the UO community on the OFFICIAL game is a lot more vibrant than i thought. I used to think UOForums was the official un official forum of the game which will get a new post every 2 or 3 weeks.

aside, i decided to sub and join. Upon entering the game I got some good guidance through the new player experience and up until i tried to recall on the rune i was given.

it greyed out and i realized that quest was probably dead in the water.

I hear so often that there's SOOOOO many things to do in UO but unfortunately the game doesn't do a very good job at letting you know your options. Eve online used to be this way until they revamped their new player experience to show you all the various things you can do before they let you loose into the sandbox.

UO you're sorta let loose after being unable to finish a broken new player quest. Fine. So i set out to find guides.

literally there are no guides written as of 2016 for the current version of UO. Either that or I'm just really bad at googling. but the closest guide i could find was written back in 2011-2012.

and even then it was just essentially how to install the game and navigate. OK I said let me go to the official UO site and read the new player guide there.

LITERALLY that just tells you how to install the game and that there's 2 clients. LMAO. So essentially as a new player hearing of all the things to do. You have ZERO idea of where to even start or what to shoot for, or where to go or anything.

I suppose i could just pick a direction and run. But i'm spinning my wheels because killing monsters gets old after awhile. especially with no goal or purpose to the madness.

After playing for 4 hours, i cancelled my subscription so not even a single day elapsed. Now Here i beseech this community that got me to subscribe to this game. ARE there any guides that can help me get into this game?

I tried asking in help chat. and I was told this isn't WOW leave you peasant. Greaaaat another WOW joke i thought to myself. And then another few people perked up saying if you don't like the our answers in help then you'll never understand. I argued calling me a peasant and to leave because this isn't WOW wasn't help.

Aside... that was my experience so far.

TLDR: Are there any guides to help new players written as of 2016?
These forums are the active guide basically. What sort of questions do you have? What sort of things are you thinking about doing? I'm sure everyone would be happy to help you get your feet under you.

And welcome to our little game! :D

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO.com has a summary article for returning player:
A Summary for Returning Players – Ultima Online

UO.com Player Wiki is one place to refer to, though not well organized.
Another is UOguide.com (has more solid information), though some info may still be outdated.

But, your frustration is understandable and legit.

My recommendation: use the 14-day trial first and mess around in game and see if you can dig in before deciding to pay.
Nowadays the environment is very harsh for total newbies if you cant find help in game or started in a dead shard.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Speaking as the leader of a guild that was dedicated to helping new players for 3 years.... quite honestly a new player has to find a good guild and get other players to explain the game piece by piece. I'd say 95% of the people I recruited into my guild said almost word for word the same thing you just posted.

Unfortunately, my guild is no longer very active and would not be able to help with this.

There really aren't any guides for UO like there are for other games, there are only guides for individual things like one boss fight, or one quest, there is no actual "this is how you play UO" type of guide.

To fully understand UO as a new player you would need to read hundreds of different guides.... which is obviously very inconvenient.

I wish there was something else I could tell you, but the truth is a guide like the one you are asking about just doesn't exist and it probably never will because it would take the author thousands of hours to write it.

UOguide.com is a good website, but the problem with it is that you have to already know exactly what you are searching for to locate the information. If you can't type exactly the correct words it's very difficult to find things.

Joining a good guild and hoping they are willing to explain the game would be the best option. Atlantic is the most popular shard by the way.

You can also ask whatever questions you have here on these forums, and someone will almost always answer it.

Thanks for the responses everybody, I'll try and dive into some of this content.

The game seems cool, I'm not opposed to renewing the subscription and is till have 29 days. Some of those dungeons look really exciting.

The other thing that got me flustered is the scaling. and the MASSIVE amount of player stores in the game. I gated into Luna. HOLY CRAP there's so many player stores I have literally zero idea where to start, no clue how to fix my weapons should they be damaged and then i started randomly clicking on stores and the cost for items were in the millions.

and I'm over here with 4k gold. item I was looking at was 25,000,000. I have no conception of value so I've no idea why that items even cost that much.

I see post about how to get new players, the problem is even if a surge of new players got into game they'd all be bumping up against a virtual wall almost immediately. :/

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They did have some guides on the official website but I just had a look and can't find the links.

Luckily I saved the .PDF files a while back and here they are for you:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
The first link doesn't work. Those guides look good though!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no clue how to fix my weapons
There are two options.
  1. A player who is a blacksmith can do it for you (or they might just run away and steal your weapon so be careful)
  2. You can get a repair deed which is created by a player with a blacksmith and are also usually on vendors, and then bring that repair deed to an NPC blacksmith who will repair your item when you use the deed.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
4k gold. item I was looking at was 25,000,000. I have no conception of value so I've no idea why that items even cost that much
Well that's inflation for you lol. Most will give you some gold to get started, a few million is easy to give away these days but try to find a guild like @Captn Norrington said... probably your best place to start while you read those guides hehe :p

Well that's inflation for you lol. Most will give you some gold to get started, a few million is easy to give away these days but try to find a guild like @Captn Norrington said... probably your best place to start while you read those guides hehe :p
I play Eve-Online so I know all about huge sums of cash to get anywhere. However in EVE there are several guides on exactly how to get that cash, and I've made well for myself in that game. I'm looking at those guides at work right now, I'll try to incorporate some of them into my next play session. However I think number one is to find a way to get repair deeds because once my weapons go, I'm aimlessly wandering the over world with nothing to kill things with.

The issue with that is, I've no idea where to even begin my epic search for a repair deed.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The issue with that is, I've no idea where to even begin my epic search for a repair deed
On Atlantic there often just laying around for FREE at Skara Brae bank or Yew moongate, though there should be some listed on vendor search as well... just left click your player and right click on Vendor Search, then just type what your looking for :)

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
UO has, admittedly, always had a bit of a steep learning curve. With that said, new player quests in New Haven city aside, it is unfortunate that you were met with no help to speak of in chat, which leads to the question; were you in general chat or help chat? I've found that often, for new players, help chat is generally more helpful than gen chat where it can sometimes be very salty. :confused:
Also, vendor search in game is very helpful, perhaps particularly for those who need to stretch their spending coin. Luna city tends to be one of the most expensive places to buy (tends to be but not always)...a quick peek at vendor search can show you the lowest price for, say, repair deeds for that weapon you mentioned. To open vendor search, just be in a safe/guard zone (an inn, or in a city), single click on yourself to pull up your context menu, you'll see vendor search there. When you find an item you want to buy, you can create a map for it and then use it to transport to that vendor (for 1k gold fee).

On Atlantic there often just laying around for FREE at Skara Brae bank or Yew moongate, though there should be some listed on vendor search as well... just left click your player and right click on Vendor Search, then just type what your looking for :)
I actually picked the atlantic shard because this forum talked about it a lot. there are a lot of players that i'm seeing which is great although I still feel alone in a crowded room haha.

Anyway that vendor search idea is a huge tip! thank you!

So basically any item i find out that I need to buy i can just type it in and then find it? will i get the exact location? How does the game search for the item on player vendors?

After reading the guide I know i need a rune book for travel also.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The issue with that is, I've no idea where to even begin my epic search for a repair deed.
There is a person who has a vendor at my Luna house that sells every repair deed imaginable for only 50 gold each. Here is a screenshot of the house with the vendor highlighted, it's at the south in town Luna crossroads on Atlantic.

Untitled.png

Enziet

Journeyman
I wish that there was some public place I could post a message warning new players to stay out of new player chat as it is used on Atlantic for pure dumbassery. Literally there is nothing helpful in Atlantic's help chat. It's just a bunch of drunks and pot heads crying at each other.

If you join on Atlantic, find your way to a Moongate and get to Luna, start asking questions. I can guarantee you an actual helpful person will pick you up and show you the ropes.

Get out of help chat asap. Unless of course other peoples drama is your thing.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the responses everybody, I'll try and dive into some of this content.

The game seems cool, I'm not opposed to renewing the subscription and is till have 29 days. Some of those dungeons look really exciting.

The other thing that got me flustered is the scaling. and the MASSIVE amount of player stores in the game. I gated into Luna. HOLY CRAP there's so many player stores I have literally zero idea where to start, no clue how to fix my weapons should they be damaged and then i started randomly clicking on stores and the cost for items were in the millions.

and I'm over here with 4k gold. item I was looking at was 25,000,000. I have no conception of value so I've no idea why that items even cost that much.

I see post about how to get new players, the problem is even if a surge of new players got into game they'd all be bumping up against a virtual wall almost immediately. :/
the game is the easiest its ever been. you dont have to buy anything (except maybe bandages and stuff from npcs)

get armor from stuff you loot. even cursed. maybe join a guild and build a suit out of stuff most others would throw away (you can build a decent suit that way)

i wouldnt even go to luna for the first month. there is absolutely no need for a new player to be there and its very discourageing seeing the high prices. that stuff is for people who have played the game for years, not someone just starting out.

i would suggest doing EM events. you can make 50 to 500m easy just have to check uo.com for times. when event is coming to the end (about 1 hour) try to figure out what the main boss is (usually main villian of the plot) and run into it and die. get rezed. repeat. im am not saying this is 100 percent success by any means, but there is chance you get a rare item drop in your pack worth alot of gold.

its even worth doing just for the public loot. let others kill the stuff, wait till corpse goes public. 100s of pieces of armor to make a playable suit with.

a good weapon or slayer spellbooks are probably the only thing you would have to buy, have made by someone, or find someone willing to give you.

i just got an item worth 175m on a shard i dont even play with a naked character i just created 5mins before the event with no skills, no armor, no weapon.

vasagi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know you stated you started on Atlantic, but I would encourage you to jump around and try a few of the other shards also. Sometimes smaller is better. Napa has a pretty good core group of players, as does Chesapeake. If you head to Napa to look around, be sure you are in GENERAL chat (not help) and ask for anyone in UOS or their guild leader Mojo. Very helpful guild to peeps returning to the game or new comers.

the game is the easiest its ever been. you dont have to buy anything (except maybe bandages and stuff from npcs)

get armor from stuff you loot. even cursed. maybe join a guild and build a suit out of stuff most others would throw away (you can build a decent suit that way)

i wouldnt even go to luna for the first month. there is absolutely no need for a new player to be there and its very discourageing seeing the high prices. that stuff is for people who have played the game for years, not someone just starting out.

i would suggest doing EM events. you can make 50 to 500m easy just have to check uo.com for times. when event is coming to the end (about 1 hour) try to figure out what the main boss is (usually main villian of the plot) and run into it and die. get rezed. repeat. im am not saying this is 100 percent success by any means, but there is chance you get a rare item drop in your pack worth alot of gold.

its even worth doing just for the public loot. let others kill the stuff, wait till corpse goes public. 100s of pieces of armor to make a playable suit with.

a good weapon or slayer spellbooks are probably the only thing you would have to buy, have made by someone, or find someone willing to give you.

i just got an item worth 175m on a shard i dont even play with a naked character i just created 5mins before the event with no skills, no armor, no weapon.
This sounds really good but I just looked at the event calender for any events on the Atlantic Shard. There hasn't been a single one for a month or so and nothing planned this month. So i suppose i'll be waiting for awhile. It seems the EM on Atlantic is just sitting on their thumbs or has given up the game.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This sounds really good but I just looked at the event calender for any events on the Atlantic Shard. There hasn't been a single one for a month or so and nothing planned this month. So i suppose i'll be waiting for awhile. It seems the EM on Atlantic is just sitting on their thumbs or has given up the game.
admittedly, events are more for the advanced player, but if you take the initiative and are willing to try / learn, it also may be worth the payoff. like i said you can sometimes get high level item just by running naked into the boss (just dieing over and over)

Some EMs are not good at posting, altho they have been told over and over that its required.

Atlantic usually does thursday nights meeting at castle blackthorn (NE britian) or is also posted on the facebook page.
Ultima Online's EM Bennu: Event Moderator for Atlantic and Siege Perilous | Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/uoembennu/
also, atlantic is the most crowded for events. i find it easier to get a feel for them on a smaller shard, even if you dont have a developed character there.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could try Europa - for the past 4 years we have had a meeting at West Britain Bank for the purpose of helping new and returning players. Answering questions and equipping new players are the two things done regularly. The meetings are held every day between 6pm and 7pm

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
You could try Europa - for the past 4 years we have had a meeting at West Britain Bank for the purpose of helping new and returning players. Answering questions and equipping new players are the two things done regularly. The meetings are held every day between 6pm and 7pm
You might want to include time zone.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So many conflicting words of advice. Like just create a new character and run naked into a super boss and get killed over and over again and hope you get something worth millions. LMAO. Is this what this game has come to? First of all you don't need millions to have fun building your character. A lot of us have fun building from the ground up. Setting goals and seeing your character gradually get stronger is the fun of it.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is the best thing any new player can do:
Find a way to do the quest for The Crystal Ball Of Knowledge or find someone who will give you one. Crystal Ball of Knowledge - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Now use that item and play the game.

Why the function of that item isnt just baked into the game or why every new player doesn't just get one for free I really don't know.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Europa the crystal ball is given at the bank meet 7 to 8 CET to the players that need one Plus a good training armour and some insurance gold, just a small sum. Most nights there is a guild leader for a guild that recruits new and returning players as well. Veterans and new-ish sits there and all have experiences of something. The new ones are good at starting up questions the old ones for crafting and templates and most things. Free repairs there as well .Cooks brings pizza and cookies and we get coffee too! Lots of other things happens and even us old players learn things and we get to know eachother .

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
we need collection of good videos for new and returning players, in/for many areas. maybe stratics can start creating an area for them. dam they need video for mythic account set up too lol. maybe we have them somewhere already. most people learn best through the visual rather than just reading/kinetic.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOguide.com is a good website, but the problem with it is that you have to already know exactly what you are searching for to locate the information. If you can't type exactly the correct words it's very difficult to find things.
I'd just like to add that it is very useful to have Google do the searching for a specific UOGuide page, ie make a habit of googling string o' words like [whatever puzzles you here ] Uoguide Ultima Online. This usually seems to provide a good result more often than trying to cope with Guide's own search.

On Europa the crystal ball is given at the bank meet 7 to 8 CET to the players that need one Plus a good training armour and some insurance gold, just a small sum. Most nights there is a guild leader for a guild that recruits new and returning players as well. Veterans and new-ish sits there and all have experiences of something. The new ones are good at starting up questions the old ones for crafting and templates and most things. Free repairs there as well .Cooks brings pizza and cookies and we get coffee too! Lots of other things happens and even us old players learn things and we get to know eachother .
This! I understand the daily meeting at Britain of Europa has been a constant,reliable thing for a long time now. People showing up there are likely to find a pile of vets able to help out!

I'd also like to remind you, OP, that there is no need to make trying to learn everything some sort of a constant defined process. Take advantage of the new Haven quests , then read a little bit about Tamers and Bards,Housing and PvP. Ask yourself what aspect of the game appears most interesting and look into that. If you find something that immediately feels fun or interesting, everything kinda just takes care of itself.

Also, welcome to UO!
Be sure to try both game clients, ( classic and enhanced) both have their benefits.

Last edited:

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
@keysmachine
What shard were you playing on and did you check the shard forums here and drop a line to say hello and ask any questions there as well?
EM Bennu is an EM on Two shards, Atlantic and Siege. So to be able to give Siege one event a month he cut back on Atlantic. Also EM Bennu does not post at Stratics, and I am not sure who is his ghost writer at UO.Com events listing. If you wish to see more of EM Bennu you will need to go to Facebook. Ultima Online's EM Bennu: Event Moderator for Atlantic and Siege Perilous | Facebook

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have concluded that no one person can know everything there is to know about UO :) I have been playing since 1997 and still learn new things about ancient things and more than a few times have told someone who has been around just as long about something and they are like WOW I never knew that.

UO has a very steep learning curve overall but can be not so steep if you don't try to learn and do everything at once. There is a nearly 20 year old world with a huge amount of content that is fun, profitable and pretty much unused. And for someone new or even someone that has been gone a few years and returns it can be overwhelming. Don't be shy about asking here or in GC in game someone will have the answer or point you in the right direction.

I also suggest trying out one of the lower pop shards Legends, Chessy and Catskills are the three I am most familiar with. Legends being my primary prodo shard of choice but all three have solid communities of vets that will help you out and take you here and there. While Atlantic has the high population it can quite rude and brutal. The lower pop shards tend to be more friendly, helpful and community oriented IMO.

No matter where you play build a base character and template and master it. Seen way too many people over the years build 7 toons and never finish any of them. And by finish I don't mean just maxing the skill out, that is beyond easy now days. But learning how to most effectively use your templates to achieve your own personal game goals.

Don't pay a lot of attention to the whats wrong with UO on these boards. Most of the posters here are crusty old farts like myself that tend to get focused on systems that could be better or were changed for the worse and are speaking from much different perspectives than a new player will have. For everything wrong with UO there are 20 things right about UO. We just tend to be very passionate about improving the things that are wrong.

Get out explore, experience, die and get rezzed, and explore again UO is a huge world with a whole lot to discover as you make your way through the lands and of course under them in the dungeons. If you want to try a low pop shard come visit Legends and I will take you along on the crazy crap I do in game and show you around, might be fighting pirates one day and being the pirate raiding merch ships the next day, or farming Zoogies and restocking my reserves of bags of sending and t powder, or heading into the abyss to farm essence and imbuing ingredients or off to run the hag quest and build sacrifice and get some T maps. Other people do other things and don't mind sharing their experience and knowledge as well.

Above all else do what makes you happy and what you enjoy in game. NOT what others think you should do.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. After the Legends event with the cat in Blackthorn, where Erebus used Golems, I mentioned that tamers could use the "Guard" command and then do whatever to the golems so the pets would attack, which also works on Exodus mobs. That's something I picked up years back, when I was learning how to play my tamer.

@keysmachine: I'll echo the same offer that Tyrath gave, but I've also got finished chars on Atlantic and LS. Although most of my UO time recently has been spent on pvp, which you're nowhere near ready for.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. After the Legends event with the cat in Blackthorn, where Erebus used Golems, I mentioned that tamers could use the "Guard" command and then do whatever to the golems so the pets would attack, which also works on Exodus mobs. That's something I picked up years back, when I was learning how to play my tamer.

@keysmachine: I'll echo the same offer that Tyrath gave, but I've also got finished chars on Atlantic and LS. Although most of my UO time recently has been spent on pvp, which you're nowhere near ready for.
Yeah PvP is a whole different ball game and in that you need someone up to date and skilled to teach you the ropes. PvM monsters are much more forgiving of mistakes than PKs and PvPs but good PvP is a art and can be quite fun even if you are not top dog.

Always forget my Atlantic toons and house. Anyone is free to use my Tsuki Garden/Wolf House on Atl. it is public there as well. Way out of a new players skill ranges around the house. The Wolves are good for training Combat 95- 120 and tactics will go up to 118 on them. But The Sleeping Dragon Spawn with Lizard men is only 3 screens or so to the west. Might want to avoid the point to the NW as it has a Yamadon and two rune beetles. To the East is all Reapers and Wolves. I have gotten cussed a couple of times for putting vendors there LOL.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nice to see a proper new player and not another event char maker .....claiming to be new!!!! ... just saddens me 3-4 others will have left UO .....in the new ones place....ksara UO will have a Plan B yes???

nice to see a proper new player and not another event char maker .....claiming to be new!!!! ... just saddens me 3-4 others will have left UO .....in the new ones place....ksara UO will have a Plan B yes???
i'm still here and trying to get into the game, currently i'm finding skill progression fun. However some people recommended that i stay in haven until i grandmaster all skills in my chosen profession (warrior) so get to 100% on 6 skills in the same area. That just sounds incredibly boring and has already put me off a little on the game.

I'd say my excitement after that suggestion dropped considerably because i'm essentially doomed to etins, the mine and earth elementals for the next month. I asked them where I should go after that and they said do whatever you feel like. That not only wasn't very clear but didn't address the primary question of what is there to do exactly lol.

I've been looking at lots of areas of interest, and i want to visit them. I especially like the idea of visiting the underworld. there was a doom group last night that i was tempted to join but at that time i was underway killing ettins and i was getting my world rocked by them so I knew it would just be a disappointment going because i'll be not useful and i'll die a lot and eventually a group in a sandbox will just leave me dead at some point.

I met a guild member from LLST and he gave me a full suit of armor, some gold and a rune book which was amazing. One thing I like about this game is how easy it is to meet new people. That just doesn't happen in your modern mmo. Nobody in WOW will ever just craft me a full suit of armor and give me 100k gold. NOT EVER GONNA HAPPEN lmao.

I think what i'm going to try and do as head over to SHAME, and try to fight on the first level i'm just getting tired of these ettins and earth elementals.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think Shame is a good idea. Just start near the door where you can run back out and heal if needed and work you way in slowly

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Might I suggest you try your hand at the town quests. They are supposed to be based on your skill level. Not only can you gain skills by killing the mobs and spawns along the way but you get decent rewards some of which sell for good money still. Also you learn the "lay of the land" so to speak finding your way from town to town will familiarize you with the layout.

I do however suggest that if you get one to Jhelom, Magincia or Moonglow that you take the moongate since the mobs at sea can be extremely hazardous to your health...

You'll find the quest givers for that standing near a box and a hitching post near the shipwrites offices in about any trammel town. Britain, Yew, Minoc, Vesper, and Trinsic...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i'm still here and trying to get into the game, currently i'm finding skill progression fun. However some people recommended that i stay in haven until i grandmaster all skills in my chosen profession (warrior) so get to 100% on 6 skills in the same area. That just sounds incredibly boring and has already put me off a little on the game.

I'd say my excitement after that suggestion dropped considerably because i'm essentially doomed to etins, the mine and earth elementals for the next month. I asked them where I should go after that and they said do whatever you feel like. That not only wasn't very clear but didn't address the primary question of what is there to do exactly lol.

I've been looking at lots of areas of interest, and i want to visit them. I especially like the idea of visiting the underworld. there was a doom group last night that i was tempted to join but at that time i was underway killing ettins and i was getting my world rocked by them so I knew it would just be a disappointment going because i'll be not useful and i'll die a lot and eventually a group in a sandbox will just leave me dead at some point.

I met a guild member from LLST and he gave me a full suit of armor, some gold and a rune book which was amazing. One thing I like about this game is how easy it is to meet new people. That just doesn't happen in your modern mmo. Nobody in WOW will ever just craft me a full suit of armor and give me 100k gold. NOT EVER GONNA HAPPEN lmao.

I think what i'm going to try and do as head over to SHAME, and try to fight on the first level i'm just getting tired of these ettins and earth elementals.
It is easy to listen to all the vets give advice, and I don't have anything against it... however, if I could just pass on one little bit of advice...

Vets giving out advice to a returning player to help them get caught up is one thing... Leading a true new player through the ins and outs of everything... well, I'm not a truly huge fan of... and here is why. IMO, it will rob you of some of your best UO memories (provided you stick around long enough). If any of the vets in here are like me we will always remember things like:

Wondering to yourself what the difference is between an orc and an orc mage, then having your screen go black and white...
Getting totally owned by a wisp you accidentally attacked...
Saving up enough gold all on your own to place your first house...
The first time you try to fight a dragon, and find out you aren't quite as badass as you thought you were...
etc...

My advice is don't be afraid to venture out, try new stuff, even if you have no idea what to expect. If you don't take it too serious, dying in UO can be a hoot. It may seem frustrating at first, but when you look back 18+ years later, those are the memories that really stick with you.

Enziet

Journeyman
Don't listen to these mages. If your playing a warrior and want fast skill gains your going to want to stick to the guide on UOGUIDE. Skeletons, then onto Ettins, followed up by Earth Elementals until 100% skill.

I've followed this exact same formula since 98. It later showed up on UOGUIDE. I only play warrior, I have never played a mage, or caster type.

You'll want your seventh GM skill to be something ranged though. So Archery is recommended for any warrior class. So don't waste your last GM skill on just one twenties, unless your going to be a mage. That's a mages tactic. Do two or three skills to one twenty, and put the remaining skill into Archery.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you dont want GM in 7 skills.

weapons skill you need 120. 110 is ok but you will eventually need 120
healing skill you probably will want no more than 80
chivalry stick with 85, unless you want the bonus from the mastery go to 90

you also have to keep in mind that its really best to have 300 combat skill points. this is a massive boost to being able to do the most special moves.
Special Moves - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
note that this does not have to be "real" skill. bonus on jewels and items also count towards the 300.
if you cant get to 300, definitely use 200.
120 weapon skill, then fill out the rest of the 300 with parry, bushido, or maybe archery (personally if i want archery, i make an pure archer. i dont see the point in having both on the same character)

honor is also extremely useful for a new player because it lets you get into areas without being attacked, and also helps with healing.
Honor - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

also this calculator is very helpful in figuring out the best stat combos for use with your intended weapon.
UOCraft.com » SSI Calculator

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't listen to these mages. If your playing a warrior and want fast skill gains your going to want to stick to the guide on UOGUIDE. Skeletons, then onto Ettins, followed up by Earth Elementals until 100% skill.

I've followed this exact same formula since 98. It later showed up on UOGUIDE. I only play warrior, I have never played a mage, or caster type.

You'll want your seventh GM skill to be something ranged though. So Archery is recommended for any warrior class. So don't waste your last GM skill on just one twenties, unless your going to be a mage. That's a mages tactic. Do two or three skills to one twenty, and put the remaining skill into Archery.
Those old guides were great when they were written because at the time we had Despise and Shame that you could go from 0 - 120 as a warrior but sadly those two were changed, Despise is gone and Shame is still good but as others have said do not go to deep into the dungeon until you are ready.

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
40+ responses to a troll...imma quit after a day and go post why on stratics...once a month we get one of these..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
40+ responses to a troll...imma quit after a day and go post why on stratics...once a month we get one of these..
So a potential new player comes on here and says what he has experienced and you take it as a TROLL and I guess you are ok with this? "I tried asking in help chat. and I was told this isn't WOW leave you peasant. Greaaaat another WOW joke i thought to myself. And then another few people perked up saying if you don't like the our answers in help then you'll never understand. I argued calling me a peasant and to leave because this isn't WOW wasn't help." Maybe if he received better help just the same as all the other posts about this then UO wouldn't be as dead.

Enziet

Journeyman
I repeat the same question. Fel is not something to be scared of. It's a video game. You die. That is why we have item insurance. With the amount of easy gold / people giving away piles of gold these days, nobody should be scared to go to Fel. You squishy new players always so scared to die :bs: Besides, why would you wear your best equipment for training, Whip out the cleaver and ringmail and get at those Ettins!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I repeat the same question. Fel is not something to be scared of. It's a video game. You die. That is why we have item insurance. With the amount of easy gold / people giving away piles of gold these days, nobody should be scared to go to Fel. You squishy new players always so scared to die :bs: Besides, why would you wear your best equipment for training, Whip out the cleaver and ringmail and get at those Ettins!
NEW PLAYERS do not have best equipment, they just have equipment and where does a new player get all this gold for insurance from and better yet when someone kills him/her in FEL then he/she will be most likely the benefit of a lot of belittlement and other such BS because there are very few people left in FEL that actually take the time to teach fellow UOers.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are correct Fel is nothing to to fear.... Because outside of Yew Gate, which ever VVV town is active and Despise FEL IS EMPTY because all the hardcore PvPrS are Sitting around Luna filling GC with the things they do with each others mothers...

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I play Siege as well as other shards, and the only reason I hate PvP is the push through. I have always hated the amount I have to put to my Dex in order to get through a crowd of monsters or folks when in a Felucca rule set. :points I could use in STR or INT.