• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] New Museum Website

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, due to the *overwhelming* response here, DVI and I have collarborated and agreed to use my website to host this idea.

We will wait to advertise the name until it is up and running a bit.

Also, we are researching the website's abilities to search thru a particular museum's inventory. For example, if you were looking for Rotgut Wine, like I am, you could simply search the site and it would bring up the Museums that have it in their inventory. Of course this doesn't mean items will be sold thru the site, but certainly could hold another value to all rares collectors.

I don't have the greatest website design savvy, but I also do not believe this site *NEEDS* to be of great flash..... we both simply want it to highlight the museums that are out there thru the screenshots, descriptions, contact information (if you so choose), and possibly (longshot really) each museums inventory.

Once we get a museum set, if you sell an item or add an item, you can contact one of us and we can make an adjustment.
This will of course not be an instanteous thing, and very hard to do around Raresfest time, but certainly is a worthwhile goal...

In addition, DVI's suggestion of having a page for "up and coming" museums is wonderful.
So, per the requirements, an Up and Coming Museum should have 15 items of note, while a full fledged Museum that will get the "full treatment" on the website must have 30 or more items that meet the critieria......

These are the Qualifications we are using for a museum's inventory to see if they fit our criteria.

1. Quantity - We compare against the highest # drop from the EM item list (Broken Crystals). Greater than that usually doesn't qualify, but if the other 2 factors are there, then having multiples of this category, i.e. sets or just sheer quantity will result in the qualification.
2. Desirability - Is this one person's quest for self justification or is there an actual demand among the populous.
3. GP Worth - We try to compare the category of items to the lowest value of the EM event items to serve as baseline.

And to qualify, the item must have at least 2 of the 3 factors above to qualiify.

Qualifing List:

1. Seer Items
2. Server Births
3. EM created items
4. Items forgot to lock down by GMs/EMs/SEERs during events that are not normal
5. VR & UR Stag Items
6. UR Rubbles + Sets
7. Clean Up Britannia Items (Phoenix armor pieces, Singing Balls, & IBD)
8. Xmas Gifts - 3rd Tier White Statues, White Angels and Surfers
9. Xmas Gifts - 3rd Tier Colored Busts and Lady in prayer (Every 5 equals 1 count)
10. Xmas Gifts - Angels and Surfers (Every 3 equals 1 count)
11. Speckled Easter Eggs - According to Messanna, only 10 were given to each EM per US, European, and Oceania shards. (Each 1 count as 1)
12. 2009 Easter Eggs - Every 10 count as 1 count. I realized certain shards had very unique inscriptions and low drops.
13. 2008 Neon Xmas Boxes (Every 5 equals 1 count)
14. 2009 Angel Xmas Boxes (Every 5 equals 1 count)
15. Sewn By or Made by clothing with double "Blessed" tags (Every piece equals 1 count) These were the first of its series back in 1997-99. Other Sewn by or Made by clothing or armor, not double blessed (5 pieces equal 1 count) Regular double blessed clothing doesn't apply here.
16. Full Naughty or Nice Bags (1 count each)

[We will add items to this as needed, slowly, but as the list grows, so does the minimum number of items needed to qualify]

I found it pertanent to add pics detailing #15. I've gotten quite a few messages about what counts and what doesn't.

This item counts:

This item doesn't, despite having a Kick Ass name, I'd need 5 pieces not double blessed to count as 1 for the museum website purpose:

This would count with Doublet above toward making 5 pieces to get 1 count for museum:

*NEW IDEA* When you are ready for us to visit your museum, please ICQ or PM DVI or me. At this point, we can add the inventory of your museum if you send us a Word file of just the simple text of each item. We will edit it for clarity and verify it when we we visit to take screenshots. This is the most effective way for this website to work. If you want your inventory to be listed, give us a list. If not, we'll simply post screenies, contact info, and directions.

Any feedback or suggestions? Please let us know on this thread!

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi sounds great, it might be best to contact the owners of the museums because they might not be ready yet. Plus like for myself i actually have two locations and the second is not well known really and I would have to bring to the location and maybe explain a few things as to why they are rare. Plus
if your going to use the old museum post, some locations may have changed and that might make it more difficult for you.

If you have already considered all of this and are just doing some pre curser looking then I apologise in advance.

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds fantastic and I like the rating system on the sewn by/exceptional blessed items. It's nice to see them included.

It will be interesting as I have never actually cataloged my items...

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

I totally agree.No need for flashy site,we want to enjoy all the museums.

Just make a few museums and let us see how it looks,please.
No need to work with 50 museums first I think.

Regards
The Scandinavian

D

DVI

1. Please don't send me word files. I don't use word and will not be able to open them. It would be much easier for me to just place the list in the body of an email or pm.

2. Towards Riplys' point with the exception of players who are largely inactive such as say the owner of say "The Glowing Orb" on LS, I am only visiting those museums that I have been invited to visit. I don't want to barge in on someone who isn't ready for their work to be photographed nor do I want to have to do alot of repeat work.

D

DVI

we dont have dates set, and due to being busy in rl i havent had a chance to collaborate much but have been busy taking pics

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am unsticking this thread till something substantial has been put up. Cheers.

Slickjack

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will petition you to reconsider:
Many people have asked that we wait to feature their museum b/c they are renovating for the screenshots, so it could be awhile for "substantial" anything.... But out of respect for the VERY hard work it is to do all this, do you think you could leave it "stickied" just so people know where and who to contact so when they ARE ready, it'll be handy. Otherwise, this will just simply go down the shoot b/c I'm not for needless "bumping"....

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Errr, its not a big deal. Just let me know when you have some of the museums that are ready put up. There are too many stickies right now and I will have some of the other ones removed by then hopefully.

Slickjack

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you. I know you have a website and it can be daunting to do just a small site considering this is all just a hobby for us collectors. This is a HUGE endeavor and I'm getting tons of ICQ's about it..... DVI and I have alot of work to do, so having an easy way to reach us will take just a bit off our plate.

I hadn't thought of "too many stickies", sorry to clog your forum....

shalanria

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you. I know you have a website and it can be daunting to do just a small site considering this is all just a hobby for us collectors. This is a HUGE endeavor and I'm getting tons of ICQ's about it..... DVI and I have alot of work to do, so having an easy way to reach us will take just a bit off our plate.

I hadn't thought of "too many stickies", sorry to clog your forum....

Not to say this doesn't need to be a sticky, but I think what Tomas is saying is it also is terribly annoying to go to a forum and the post start way down the page because they have so many stickies. Maybe some of the seasons can be combined, with all the EM things flooding this forum, we could have stickies all the way down this page.