• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New memory leak in Classic Client?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seem to be crashing a lot lately when i have multiple people's healthbars, anyone else suffering the same issue?

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jirel has been losing connection all over the place. She'll freeze up then. . . connection lost! She does this regardless of what she is doing. I on the other hand am constantly getting that I am out of memory.
There's no FREAKIN way on the FREAKIN planet that I am out of FREAKIN memory. I have 16 gigs of ram plus 8 gigs graphics ram so there is NO FREAKIN WAY UO CC is using all of that.

The dev team needs to address both problems, unless they just want everyone to quit and be unemployed? No one is gonna wanna play UO if you can't even run it on a Bestbuy special HP or a High-end Alienware. This is a serious load of PANCAKES!

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even on EC i seem to crash much more than before! I crash 99% of the time when i have 2 clients running at the same time.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The CC is a crap fest since the resolution change, stuff doesn't load, issues on the island in despise and you client all the time.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The CC tends to start to reduce in size then immediately return to the original size on my system. No crashes yet.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It only seems to crash for me when I am wearing armour with the inherent lower mana cost.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:facepalm:
A memory leak is software allocating memory but not releasing it. Since a 32 bit program can address 2GB of memory, your client process has to grow to at least 1.6 GB, before coming even close to running out of memory.
Any other crash is just a crash and NOT RELATED TO A MEMORY LEAK....

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Failed to open file C:\Program files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\soundLegacyMUL.uop: Error 2002559715.

There is not enough memory to continue execution. If you do not have virtual memory enabled, this could be the problem. Otherwise you may be low on disk space, or may need to increase the amount of space allocated for virtual memory.

This is what I get first try. Haven't logged into UO yet today. Continues until I do a hard shut down. Restart doesn't work. Update: Hard reboot not working today so no UO today unless I can figure this out.

I am not the only one having this problem.

Update: Did the file check at login and now it works. This just started in the last few days. This is just trying to use one client. @Bleak @Kyronix

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Failed to open file C:\Program files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\soundLegacyMUL.uop: Error 2002559715.

There is not enough memory to continue execution. If you do not have virtual memory enabled, this could be the problem. Otherwise you may be low on disk space, or may need to increase the amount of space allocated for virtual memory.
I got that today when opening the second client. Reboot and it works.

I dont think the OP meant this issue.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seem to be crashing a lot lately when i have multiple people's healthbars, anyone else suffering the same issue?
Not crashed yet, but the lag is massive.

I logged in tonight for the first time in 2 weeks, tried to fight with the guild at Yew, big team fights, lot of fun, I could hardly move, that ruined it for me.

Ton of the rest of the guild all said the same, were suffering serious lag.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A memory leak is software allocating memory but not releasing it. Since a 32 bit program can address 2GB of memory, your client process has to grow to at least 1.6 GB, before coming even close to running out of memory.
Thanks for answering my question, not sure whay the picard fail is about, i have no computer knowledge. It's unusual for someone who works in IT to have limited social skills Thrakker.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could people be having issues because of the big Windows 10 Fall Creators Update? If you have your computer set to automatically download updates but haven't yet turned off your computer so it will install, could it be tying up memory resources?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Could people be having issues because of the big Windows 10 Fall Creators Update? If you have your computer set to automatically download updates but haven't yet turned off your computer so it will install, could it be tying up memory resources?
Nope already updated mine

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't had issues with UO, but I am having issues where browser games I play seem to be eating memory at a crazy rate when previously everything was fine. Is it a UO issue or is it some windows issue? Perhaps some graphics driver patch which is not running well with various game...

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to log on for my daily routine yesterday and got some message about memory, I remembered I had other games to play and did not bother to try again. ha!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for answering my question, not sure whay the picard fail is about, i have no computer knowledge.
I just bought TNG on blu-ray and started watching it last weekend. Just wanted to see a familiar face here.

It's unusual for someone who works in IT to have limited social skills Thrakker.
Is it? Never thought about it. Should I bother? Probably not...
In fact social skills are not uncommon to be inversely proportional to amount customer contact an IT guy has. Counting PMs & BAs as customer as well. Thus it is less improbable to be the only one with this handicap in a team, than one might think. With that in mind, you can spread out your points of contact throughout the team, having more people taking less notice of your own lacking social skills. Problem solved ;)

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is it? Never thought about it. Should I bother? Probably not...
In fact social skills are not uncommon to be inversely proportional to amount customer contact an IT guy has. Counting PMs & BAs as customer as well. Thus it is less improbable to be the only one with this handicap in a team, than one might think. With that in mind, you can spread out your points of contact throughout the team, having more people taking less notice of your own lacking social skills. Problem solved ;)
^^
this

So true. I get dinged every so often for lacking "true social skills'. Oh well ... I chalk it up to 40+ years of programming, database admin, project lead, BA and shift management to name a few. CS is in there too ... somewhere. :sad3::gee:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taming , fighting with pet, crafting for bods.... sitting sorting bods... it don't matter what I am doing... all of a sudden things stop letting me move an item or heal a pet then poof I get the little grey square that says I have been discon'd from the server... no warning and try to log back I get the sync error and can take 2 to 4 trys to re log in.
It has killed me a few times and lost a bug filled with items to a critter all due to this...
I want ot go hunting with the guild but don't dare with this popping up all the time.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I stand corrected, 2d client crashed like 5 times tonight, also crashed for others.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had no crashes which means the cause is likely something you folks experiencing crashes have in common. Get a group PM going and try to narrow down the list of what the cause might be so the Devs have more of an idea of where to look in the code. Common things you do during play? Places you hunt? Other background programs you all run? Common computer, mouse model?

There's something those of you with the crash problem have in common that the rest of us don't have, the Devs need an idea of what to look for where in the game's code.

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had something similar using UOAssist years ago. Then i stopped it and never crash again =)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its happening in and out of UOA, night and day, not just one character or shard ether.
I tried 3 different of our laptops, and 2 main computers, all have had it happen to...
I ruled out the wireless connection, router, as have I called the provider to have the feed checked for interference.
Cable rate has been roughly around 100mbps give or take 10%....
Even the game says 21 to 78 in connection...
I have made sure the full run of the patches...
I cant think of anything more I can do to find this reason for the system to just up and drop me like a rock.

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm using toshiba satellite C600 with dual core & 2 gb ram.

i champ/hunt everyday without a crash or a single lag. (Yes lag when my wifi fu** up).
I think you guys should make an windows cleaning, Optimize disk, defrag, registry fix etc..
Look also if there is no malware active with Spybot or Malwarebyte, i promise you, it's help a lot !!

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
probably discord causing it. It's the most buggy heap of junk i've ever used.

I agree with you on the load of junk bit, I'm refusing to use it atm.

Half our guild are using it, I'm not however, and I crashed tons tonight in that IDOC pvp, same as many of us.
I've never crashed like this - this is completely new.

Possibly isn't the Discord.

I could throw in the, someone's using illegal programs routine, but I'm not sure, I think something has happened to the game.

Great pvp btw, probably 40+ players fighting in a really small area?
At least 10+ from DiE+Pro+W/TUK+VP, probably more from each.
Sadly the lag, and the crashing, completely destroyed the quality of the PvP.

Last edited:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is what I get first try. Haven't logged into UO yet today. Continues until I do a hard shut down. Restart doesn't work. Update: Hard reboot not working today so no UO today unless I can figure this out.

I am not the only one having this problem.

Update: Did the file check at login and now it works. This just started in the last few days. This is just trying to use one client. @Bleak @Kyronix
I got that today when opening the second client. Reboot and it works.

I dont think the OP meant this issue.
for "out of memory" problems, refer to this link : Large Address Aware
The post ziox mentions is a good extension of what Thrakkar posted. 32-bit programs are limited to 2 GB of memory and the Large Address Aware attempts to allocated 3-4 GB. I am unsure as to why these issues should be on us to fix, however, as the game developers who operate a 32-bit program should be aware of the 2 GB limit and test that thoroughly. Since, in my gaming experience, only Ultima Online consistently gives me memory errors, I am more likely to believe there are memory leaks. Of course, I still use Firefox, in its new and "improved" state:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The post ziox mentions is a good extension of what Thrakkar posted. 32-bit programs are limited to 2 GB of memory and the Large Address Aware attempts to allocated 3-4 GB. I am unsure as to why these issues should be on us to fix, however, as the game developers who operate a 32-bit program should be aware of the 2 GB limit and test that thoroughly. Since, in my gaming experience, only Ultima Online consistently gives me memory errors, I am more likely to believe there are memory leaks. Of course, I still use Firefox, in its new and "improved" state:

Think that's why I abandoned Firefox .... much as I loved it... Memory HOG.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was one of these people, when I see people have errors for this or that or crash all the time, i thought pffft they are noobs as i run a very clean PC, and for years and years I never had problems with 2d client crashing ever, until recently, over 5 times yesterday. It's crazy.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I swear, it is getting bit worse all the time. While back, I had to give up using two clients at once due to "not enough memory.". Few weeks from that, I needed to drop UO Assist. Then, skipped booting via the launcher. Today, I was unable to boot client.exe from a freshly started PC. Apparently I don't have enough memory..

Maybe I should reinstall UO.

To clarify, I haven't had a huge amount of crashes if I get UO to boot. But I don't.

..There is something very special in giving up an attempt to play UO due to a memory issue and having to settle for playing Elite Dangerous via Oculus Rift instead..Couldn't dream to unlock gates of UO but I'm glad my pesky memory suffices for that at least!;p

Last edited:

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try what Tina Small suggested. That seems to have cleared this issue up for me.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Also regularly crashing suddenly for no apparent reason. Two days ago even crashed while trying to log out, on a hidden character. I am not sure if I had multiple clients running at that time, I often have.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try what Tina Small suggested. That seems to have cleared this issue up for me.
I'm pretty sure it isn't this thing or that suddenly being off in all of our computers; just UO code leaking memory and/or of having a compatibility issue with more recent windows patches. And being enough of a mess to use too much of that 2 GBs 32bit software alllows. Rebooting PC and closing stuff from bcground helps sometimes. Somehow, UO has stopped knowing how to check how much memory you have. It thinks you have way less than you do and likes it when you make almost all of the reserved bits available. It isn't this program or that causing problems specificialy, just that anything and everything running on bcground is something UO doesn't cope with.

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually i did submit a crash dump already to the dev team..

Here is one if you're interested:
Faulting application name: client.exe, version: 7.0.60.47, time stamp: 0x59e522dd
Faulting module name: client.exe, version: 7.0.60.47, time stamp: 0x59e522dd
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x001ef39a
Faulting process id: 0x4f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d36ae111e67a4e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\client.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\client.exe
Report Id:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also regularly crashing suddenly for no apparent reason. Two days ago even crashed while trying to log out, on a hidden character. I am not sure if I had multiple clients running at that time, I often have.
I had this too

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure it isn't this thing or that suddenly being off in all of our computers; just UO code leaking memory and/or of having a compatibility issue with more recent windows patches. And being enough of a mess to use too much of that 2 GBs 32bit software alllows. Rebooting PC and closing stuff from bcground helps sometimes. Somehow, UO has stopped knowing how to check how much memory you have. It thinks you have way less than you do and likes it when you make almost all of the reserved bits available. It isn't this program or that causing problems specificialy, just that anything and everything running on bcground is something UO doesn't cope with.
Sorry it did clear up my issue so I thought I'd try and be helpful.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As of about 3 am eastern I'm now getting disconnected from the game every few minutes.The notice you get after timing out due to lack of activity without the one minute warning and while being very active. I just added game time to both my accounts early yesterday evening. Was fine before that.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem I have been having of late is this, it literally sat just like for 2 hours a few nights ago when I had to run out and get some escaped pigs back in. Was like that when I walked out the door and still there just like that when I walked back in. One client and getting where it takes 3minutes to I get bored waiting and kill it and start fresh.

this sucks ass.png

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my classic client has been crashing around once a day since around 18/11/17 looking at my windows reliability monitor. Before then, crashes were fairly rare. Don't know if this helps. Using windows 7, uoassist, uocartographer.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I play a clean cc (no assist no cartog) and start up using the client exe file instead of the launcher exe and I don't seem to lag or crash. Course I usually dont mingle with others sooo.....