• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] New mage and need some tips!

• Thread starter Remy Blacktoe
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

Remy Blacktoe

Hello there,

Well, as the title says, I'm a new mage. I have played melee characters most of my long on and off UO career. I've almost completed my training as a mage and am now ready to hunt stuff. The question I have is what should I be casting offensively? Like say if something is weak against energy should I be casting energy bolt or lightning bolt? If it's weak against fire, should be I slinging fireballs or explosions/flamestikes?

I guess the real big question is, do I go for the bigger slower spells or the smaller faster spells?

Thanks all!

R

Remy Blacktoe

Ok, for the pertinent information here goes:

120 Musicianship
120 Discordance
100 Magery with +10 from ring
100 Eval. Int. with +10 from bracelet
100 Anatomy
100 Fishing
80 Meditation

100% LRC
40% LMC
24-49% SDI (Depending on if I'm using Scrapper's or a slayer book)
2/6 FC/FCR
4% Fasting Focus
Oh, forgot around 10 mana regen and 130 some mana.

Not exactly the strongest spellcaster without Spellweaving but I'm going fishing (fun) over SW here. :)

5% Luck

Ok so assuming you have 110 magery(107=100%7th lvl) equipinging a snake/reptile slayer spell book should knock out a discorded serpent in a single FS.

For water eles a good FS with an elemental slayer book should 1 shot if discorded.

But for the most part krakens are gona be a bit more dificult. Still easy considering but no slayer means multible hits.

Picking the lowest resist is important and timing out your mana can help as on a ship against anything ranged active med isnt really an option.

Use poison if you find you run out of mana.

If you are throwing nets having many mobs on screen is going to be a chore. Cast invisi before they pop. That will let you pick on a single mob without everything being argo all at once. If the group re-targets before you finish the one your working on recast invisi to keep the argo to a minimum.

As far as a leviathan.....

Its tough to say but getting a 120 mage scroll might be your best bet. Having a summons to "tank" can make a big difference. Cast a summons then invisi then target its lowest resist! Best bet is to throw your white nets at bucs den docks. That will give you some wigle room as opposed to trying to manage on a ship.

Scalis is best fought as a group. Use the ship cannons. They do more damage as far as what Ive read so far. I havent tangled with one yet.

M

mr_warpig

I usually go with the smaller spell until it's time to finish them off. Then I'll go with some flamestrikes or ebolts, depending on the creatures resist. I've killed plenty of balrons by starting out with ebolts then switching to lightning once they're moving slower.