• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discordance] New & Effective Way to Train Discordance!

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
::Discordance Training::

0-24: Buy from NPC
24-40: Polar Bears
40-59: Harpies
59-83: Pixies
83-101: Healers, Priests of Mondain
101-119.1: Ethereal Warriors
119.1-120: Serpentine Dragons
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the method I came up with to get to 120 Discordance. It's relatively safe with little to no combat; the Harpies are the only creatures that will be hostile during the training. The only requirement is that you have Positive Karma; you'll be dealing with Pixies and Ethereal Warriors.

I had placed almost all of my skills on Soul Stones. I kept Chivalry @ 70.0, Music @ 100.0, and Discord at whatever level it was at. The less skill points you have spent, the faster you'll gain.

Lock your Musicianship at 100.0 for now, before training Discord. If you don't go to 100.0, you'll fail the initial Music check. If you go over 100.0, you'll make training difficult because you're skill will be higher and you'll chew through most of your targets; limiting the amount of gains you get.

I worked on this, on and off, for a few months. It took about 25 hours or less to go from 24-120.

Here is a list of places to train on each of the above listed creatures:

Polar Bears: Around snowy area by "Deceit" (** EDIT: Accidently typed Despise - the area around Deceit is the correct location**)
Harpies: At Harpy nest in Ilshenar-Spirituality
Pixies: Around Spirituality Champ Spawn area
Healers & Priests of Mondain: At the Healers Grove by Ilshenar Justice Moongate. Take the Justice Moongate northeast, then down into the grove.
Ethereal Warriors: From the Spirituality Moongate, you go north into an Arachnid Cave. Go out the far side, and then run to the portal rune in between the pillars. The next area looks like a nice fortress & the Ethereal Warriors are all over the place here.
Serpentine Dragons: Take the Ilshenar-Honesty Moongate. Once there, go northeast until you reach an eastern bridge. Take the bridge then head into the Juka City. Go all the way Northeast until you get to another bridge. Take the bridge and follow the path until you get to a cave. Enter the cave and you'll reach a passage way to a clearing. The Serpentine Dragon should be in the area.

I hope this guide speeds up your training and you get to 120 as soon as possible!

Please post feedback/questions

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Any idea on the time spent at each area? Only 25 hours to get to 120 is pretty impressive... I have 4.5 SoT (sadly someone put them into a scroll binder so I need to find .5 more for it to be usable...) so that might save me quite a bit of time.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any idea on the time spent at each area? Only 25 hours to get to 120 is pretty impressive... I have 4.5 SoT (sadly someone put them into a scroll binder so I need to find .5 more for it to be usable...) so that might save me quite a bit of time.
No, sorry.

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very interested in your guide - could one potentially switch to discording Gaman in Tokuno instead of Harpy? Or is the harpy so good for the gains because of the spawn rate at their nest?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I suspect that the spawn rate is one of the real good points. There are few things that you can A) kill nearly instantly, and B) respawn nearly instantly, thereby meaning you can run a new skill at a new target every possible chance.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found that training on Harpies was superior to Gaman because of the spawn rate for harpies is almost instantaneous, fast spawn. But if you wished to, Gaman would be do-able also.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I trained disco on Gamans and was able to use the skill by its cooldown.. and i didn't kill Gamans at all so the spawn rate didn't matter

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You are not screwed, it is not as easy. When training up new characters, try and train up the hardest skills first if possible. If you can't, it just takes a little longer but is not impossible or anything like that. You will find that some skills are easier to train up while others, like taming and bard skills, are more difficult. Here is some info on the GGS: http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/ggs_archive.shtml

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this still true? I'm new and don't have access to Soulstones(?), so the last 2 skills I'm working is disc/provo at 700 skill points. Am I screwed?
Your lowering skills? Cause if your allready at 700 skill points you wont fit 240 points into disc and provo!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Is this still true? I'm new and don't have access to Soulstones(?), so the last 2 skills I'm working is disc/provo at 700 skill points. Am I screwed?
No, just lock Music at 100 and work the other two up. Once you get them to 110, I'd work Music up too. Gain from masteries.

Vespetta

Visitor
With 100 in musicianship

70-90 Boura
90-110 Creatures in Despise with +15 ring
110-115 Creatures in Despise with +10 ring
115-120 Creatures in Despise with +5 ring or nothing

You can easily macro

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I find spamming masteries a much more effective way at higher levels, you can just throw on all the usual gear you'd use for any mana based training (or as much as possible) Lich Form, Shadow Wisp, LMC, 30 MR, 120 Med/Focus, 4/6.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Also, you can cast the mastery in a loop once every 2 seconds or so, but using the skills still takes 8s no matter what, so unless the %toGain per skill use > per mastery casting I think just spamming the mastery will be quite a bit faster.

Vespetta

Visitor
I tried for 5 hours casting Tribulation but nothing (im on Atlantic), and the ball of knowledge says "too easy"

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Maybe something changed from recently, but as recently as 3 weeks or so ago I was getting gains up to 110+ doing the masteries. I took peace to 120 that way for sure.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I tried for 5 hours casting Tribulation but nothing (im on Atlantic), and the ball of knowledge says "too easy"
I just did all my bard skills to 120, and masteries were used for all skill gains after 90.

Yes, you should have music at 100 for all training. When you are doing the last skill, let music start to go up. The entire process is very slow... but non-masteries training is just as slow and masteries type training has the benefit of being more simple, efficient and is relatively faster. Don't consider what the crystal ball says; you will gain.

Maharette

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

This is the method I came up with to get to 120 Discordance. It's relatively safe with little to no combat; the Harpies are the only creatures that will be hostile during the training. The only requirement is that you have Positive Karma; you'll be dealing with Pixies and Ethereal Warriors.

I had placed almost all of my skills on Soul Stones. I kept Chivalry @ 70.0, Music @ 100.0, and Discord at whatever level it was at. The less skill points you have spent, the faster you'll gain.

Lock your Musicianship at 100.0 for now, before training Discord. If you don't go to 100.0, you'll fail the initial Music check. If you go over 100.0, you'll make training difficult because you're skill will be higher and you'll chew through most of your targets; limiting the amount of gains you get.

I worked on this, on and off, for a few months. It took about 25 hours or less to go from 24-120.

Here is a list of places to train on each of the above listed creatures:

Polar Bears: Around snowy area by "Deceit" (** EDIT: Accidently typed Despise - the area around Deceit is the correct location**)
Harpies: At Harpy nest in Ilshenar-Spirituality
Pixies: Around Spirituality Champ Spawn area
Healers & Priests of Mondain: At the Healers Grove by Ilshenar Justice Moongate. Take the Justice Moongate northeast, then down into the grove.
Ethereal Warriors: From the Spirituality Moongate, you go north into an Arachnid Cave. Go out the far side, and then run to the portal rune in between the pillars. The next area looks like a nice fortress & the Ethereal Warriors are all over the place here.
Serpentine Dragons: Take the Ilshenar-Honesty Moongate. Once there, go northeast until you reach an eastern bridge. Take the bridge then head into the Juka City. Go all the way Northeast until you get to another bridge. Take the bridge and follow the path until you get to a cave. Enter the cave and you'll reach a passage way to a clearing. The Serpentine Dragon should be in the area.

I hope this guide speeds up your training and you get to 120 as soon as possible!

thanks for this guide, it works very well all the way !

LordAngelus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've used
Polar Bears 50-62 16 hours
Gamans (8 tamed) 62-82 20 hours
Cu Sidhe (3 tamed) 82-90 6 hours
Cu Sidhe (4 tamed) 90-105 20 hours

Now i am transitionning to mastery spell as Cu's seem to have really slowed down in gains...

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Man tbh itll really slow down in gains after 105, period. Discord trains very slowly, and I'm of the opinion the masteries may actually be slower than active use, other than the fact that you can stand in one spot and macro them. Just make sure you are toggling them on/off.

I've only trained 2 bards up to 120 discord, so others may be more well informed, but a fast spawn and active use would probably be faster. With masteries and additional bard skills your cooldown is reduced, and reduced further if discord is your current mastery. Spamming masteries is just much, much easier to set up.

-edit- I guess the spawn rate doesn't matter, as playerskill mentioned you dont have to kill the mob to keep getting gains. I've used masteries for all bard skills since they've been available, but its still a crawl.

If you're really hitting a wall of gains/time/patience, the quickest way would be to stone off all skills to minimize your ggs cooldown, eat a discord alacrity, and change chars to get a gain at every ggs interval. The soa timer pauses when you log out, and you can go about your business on other characters without the headache.

Last edited:

codemonkey84

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Just wondering if exceptional instruments effect anything too much with gains. I think they do for regular training but what about when using the masteries to gain?

Does it matter which mastery you use?

Finally by toggling the skill on/off are you just referring to using the skill again so you have the "Your spell song has been interrupted" message.

I'm using the EC and with my macro I'm just using the skill twice, both targeting me, with a 3 second delay between them. Repeat this several dozen times with med at the end all set to repeat 10 times. Any better way to do this for the mastery training?

Telraseth

Visitor

it's been a while since I played. Is this guide still valid ? Can i use it for provocation. I couldn't find any guide about provocation training. I use Giant beetles for 65-90 and making very slow progress.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Just wondering if exceptional instruments effect anything too much with gains. I think they do for regular training but what about when using the masteries to gain?
I don't think it matters with masteries, since the mastery spellsongs don't consume charges on your instrument.

Does it matter which mastery you use?
Tribulation is the one you want to use, because you can target yourself and not take any damage.

Finally by toggling the skill on/off are you just referring to using the skill again so you have the "Your spell song has been interrupted" message.
Yes, that's what exactly what I mean. The skill check, and therefore the chance for a gain, is only done at the onset of the spellsong.

I'm using the EC and with my macro I'm just using the skill twice, both targeting me, with a 3 second delay between them. Repeat this several dozen times with med at the end all set to repeat 10 times. Any better way to do this for the mastery training?
You can probably fine-tune your delay further, depending on your latency. You probably have 3s so that it shows the message, but according to uoguide the cast time is instantaneous. And from personal experience (if I recall correctly, lol...) you can toggle on/off and get a gain without necessarily receiving the message that you are under the effect.

I think the delay between cast and receiving the buff is the length of one pulse, so 2s. Even if you find you get gains at a 2.25s delay, it's going to be a grind so that .75 will add up. Id try 1s, or as close to that as possible (latency allowing) without hitting the "you are already casting" or 'recovering' message.

That's one pain about using masteries to train discord, you only have 1. Training other bard skills you can toggle on,on/off,off. If you get desperate, which I have, you can run both despair and trib, and just stop to heal, but it will be of questionable benefit.

Ungoliant

Journeyman
I believe once you hit 120 musicianship you can discord yourself and it wears off before you are able to attempt again. All the way to 120.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm currently training a second pure bard (4x120) and the most effective training method IMHO is to use both skill & mastery at the same time.
I have a macro which first uses the skill and then casts masteries again and again until 8 secs have passed (which is the cooldown for successful skill usage), use the skill again, rinse and repeat.

For the skills I use disco (on myself) & area peace. (Both of them having a 8 sec cooldown)
For the masteries I use Inspire, Resilience & Tribulation. All of them being the "small" skill of every mastery, "small" meaning faster to cast and taking less mana.
You can mix & match to your liking, meaning you can train two skills simultaneously or one at a faster rate:
Disco Self & Inspire
Disco Self & Resilience
Disco Self & Tribulation
Area Peace & Inspire
Area Peace & Resilience
Area Peace & Tribulation

Personally I used "Area Peace & Inspire" and "Area Peace & Tribulation" so far, switching every now and then between disco & provo mastery, which took me to 108.9 disco, 113.7 peace and 113.8 provo so far (music is locked at 100).

About the delays between casts:
If you go with 4 FC & 6 FCR, you can cast Inspire & Resilience every 0.8 secs (both the onset and turning it off again), which is absolutely nuts, since it sucks your mana dry within a minute. I have 40 LMC, 17 MR, 136 INT, 100 Medi & 100 Focus. With that setup I dialed in the delay at 1.68 secs, which holds a perfect balance (you're always regenerate back all mana you use in the same time)
Tribulation is a bit slower, since you have to wait until the debuff wears off, otherwise you'll fail with "your target is already under the effect of that song". That one I dialed in at 1.5 secs after the onset and 3 secs after stopping. (again with 4 FC & 6 FCR)